MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2008, 05:28 PM   #1
tarosean

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'99 ZX11/ '65 T120R/'93 Bandit

Spies to replace Haga????

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/...?article=34340

I think he would fit in quite well in WSBK....
tarosean is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where'd Haga go?? Grinchy Taking it to the Track 0 05-07-2012 09:20 PM
Spies or Haga?? Grinchy Taking it to the Track 61 10-21-2009 09:38 AM
"SPOILER" WSBK Valencia Spies/Haga Grinchy Taking it to the Track 25 04-09-2009 03:58 PM
Tommy Sykes to replace Haga at Yamaha Grinchy Taking it to the Track 7 09-13-2008 07:46 AM
HAHAHAHAHA AT HAGA! FastLine General Discussion (Moto Related) 0 05-14-2007 06:45 AM
Advertisement
Old 09-23-2008, 05:31 PM   #2
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Agreed. I think it would be a good fit. Then I can start rooting for him, being on a Yami... And a Texan. Hope he get's picked up by someone. He needs to be given a chance. I was really impressed after Indy MotoGP.
tiatool is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 05:44 PM   #3
ileono918
On hiatus

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiatool View Post
Agreed. I think it would be a good fit. Then I can start rooting for him, being on a Yami... And a Texan. Hope he get's picked up by someone. He needs to be given a chance. I was really impressed after Indy MotoGP.
+1.
I like the way he rides but could not say it out loud since he was running for Suzuki but if he becomes a Yami pilot: Go Spies!!!!!!!
ileono918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 06:10 PM   #4
8-ball

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
06 Gsx-r 1K (Sold)
08 CBR 1000 LE (Stolen) Thieves should be made to suffer.
03 CBR 954 (Sold)
01 CBR F4i totaled

This is badass. I will nice to have an American on a dominant team at the world superbike level. James Ellision hasn't been doing too well. I think it safe to say Spies has the skill step in and be a contender. Then maybe, he can get a good ride at the GP level.
8-ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:39 PM   #5
thetank
You're My Boy, Blue!!!

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
B-KING
R1 Race Bike - last of the 5 valves
KTM 450 SMR
To name a few . . .

Although I read RRW (John's World) quite often, it is JUST a rumor. Think (analyze) this a bit: Haga is in serious contention to give Yamaha a rare World Championship, even if it is in production racing. (It has even been two years since in MotoGP!) Haga has shown strong form the last couple of years. He has also shown a great attitude and a desire for a World Championship before he retires (which could be a few years, yet!)

Ben Spies is VERY valuable to Suzuki's MotoGP program. With 3 AMA SBK championships AND a strong showing in MotoGP, he shows the promise of taking Suzuki's program back to the World Championship level where it has not been since 2000 with KRJR.

Although, I enjoy a good rumor as much as anyone, this particular one does not stand up to the scrutiny of basic analysis.

NEXT!!!
thetank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 11:09 PM   #6
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetank View Post
Although I read RRW (John's World) quite often, it is JUST a rumor. Think (analyze) this a bit: Haga is in serious contention to give Yamaha a rare World Championship, even if it is in production racing. (It has even been two years since in MotoGP!) Haga has shown strong form the last couple of years. He has also shown a great attitude and a desire for a World Championship before he retires (which could be a few years, yet!)

Ben Spies is VERY valuable to Suzuki's MotoGP program. With 3 AMA SBK championships AND a strong showing in MotoGP, he shows the promise of taking Suzuki's program back to the World Championship level where it has not been since 2000 with KRJR.

Although, I enjoy a good rumor as much as anyone, this particular one does not stand up to the scrutiny of basic analysis.

NEXT!!!
Yeah but Spies wants to move to another class, and the new AMA rules are up in the air. Also, what else does Spies have to prove in AMA?? Haga has signed with Ducati. He is gone. Let Spies fill the spot.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:10 PM   #7
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetank View Post

NEXT!!!
Hmmm, yeah, makes some sense IF Haga wasn't going to Ducati. I can totally see Yamaha trying to woo Spies over to their camp with no announced replacement for Haga yet.

Spies has made mention of considering WSBK, but that he "wants" MotoGP. Since the third Zook spot dried up and KS isn't getting his foot in the door with a team, that leaves Suzuki pretty well out of the picture for Spies/ Zook relationship in MotoGP. Zook has their MotoGP riders lined out for next season. Now, Alstare in WSBK, maybe there's a Zook spot there.

I think the Yami move is viable for Spies. Time will tell. Everyone is getting anxious to see what happens to Elbowz!
Old 09-23-2008, 11:44 PM   #8
Grinchy

Feedback Rating: (15)

Bike(s):
'prila

Tommy Sykes is a done deal for the Yamaha squad.
Quintoli tested the WSBK Yamaha yesterday and came within a second of Haga's FL
Corser still not yet confirmed.
Now Spies in the picture.
So much talent, so few rides........

He needs to get onto the world stage now,
Alstare would be a good move if nothing materialises in MotoGP,
hope his "alleged" wage demands have been rethought or I can't see him going anywhere and that would be a great shame
Grinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 12:20 AM   #9
AZ slide

Experience: 4 years

Send a message via AIM to AZ slide
ben said he would have his plans for next year confirmed by the indianapolis gp but all that got confirmed that week was that caparossi and vermulen both re-signed with suzuki. so with no place left in motogp(except nickys spot at honda)wsbk would be next best thing. he talked with a few teams at miller and alstare suzuki did say they wanted him for 09, and yamaha signed sykes last week, i dont think corser has re-signed yet and i haven't heard of a second rider at bmw or aprilla
AZ slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 12:34 AM   #10
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Corser is going to retire.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:29 AM   #11
spaz

Bike(s):
09 R1 RACE
07 GSXR 750 RACE
05 VFR 800

My going to WSB Yamaha he will be taking a 10 or 20 fold cut in pay. I do not think this will happen..he is staying in AMA.

WSB would be a step down at this point.
spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 08:58 AM   #12
Turnerscasa
Box it, or bin it!

Bike(s):
2008 CBR1000RR
2007 GSXR750

That Yamaha is a hott ride! May be worth it to take a cut in pay to get a title out of WSBK. Then all he needs is a title in GP to be in very rare company, AMA title, WSBK title, and a Moto GP title. What a life. He could really do all that, before he turns 26 years old. Just amazing!
Turnerscasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 09:01 AM   #13
Scorpio
Twist the Grip, Let'r Rip

Feedback Rating: (6)

450x sumo (sold)
RC51 (sold)
Honda Grom 125(sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Scorpio
It would be a shame for such a talent to stay here in US superbike for no other reason than money alone. greed seems to be driving everything these days.
I think he's ready to take on the world and would love for him to represent the US in either WSBK or MotoGP.
Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 09:08 AM   #14
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio View Post
It would be a shame for such a talent to stay here in US superbike for no other reason than money alone. greed seems to be driving everything these days.
I think he's ready to take on the world and would love for him to represent the US in either WSBK or MotoGP.

Agreed. And remember AMA next year is not going to be the same. Heck it may not even happen. We will have to see. As a rider he needs to get on a new series to grow. Learn some new tracks, compete with the big boys. He has shown he has the talent, someone just needs to give him a chance. Besides, if he can win consistently in WSBK or MotoGP the $$ will come. I think Rossi makes more than he does, probably 5x more at $13,000,000.00 so the $$ is out there.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:37 AM   #15
Grinchy

Bike(s):
'prila

I think Rossi's 2007 earnings have been quoted closer to $40,000,000 but even that may be under estimated.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:43 AM   #16
Grinchy

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio View Post
+1
he'll be financially secure for life but he'll have missed an opportunity that money can't buy.
Hopkins joined Suzuki (MotoGP) for next to nothing (relatively) and now is reputedly the 2nd or 3rd highest paid rider in MotoGP.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:54 AM   #17
tarosean

Bike(s):
'99 ZX11/ '65 T120R/'93 Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz View Post
My going to WSB Yamaha he will be taking a 10 or 20 fold cut in pay. I do not think this will happen..he is staying in AMA.

Doubtful since Yosh Suzuki is very adamant about pulling the plug on DMG's version of racing with the AMA.

Iffffff they do pull the plug will they, Yosh, compete in the new US Superbike series or will they take their toys and try their luck with the big dogs (WSBK)???

A whole lot of cards are left on the table at this point, leaving us wondering what will be dealt next.
tarosean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:59 AM   #18
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz View Post

Doubtful. "Staying in the AMA" is a joke at this point. Even if the series survives for next year, it's going to be a building project and you can bet that the factories aren't going to pay shyte to the riders. AMA won't be able to afford Spies at this point and as long as things keep going the way they are.

WSBK is about the only option to him to keep a good paying ride going outside of MotoGP. None of the top AMA riders want to stay in a situation that is uncertain, and I seriously doubt that the factories are going to pay anything for a series that may or may not make money.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:37 PM   #19
alrova
- LSTD - From 0 to Snail

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

Send a message via MSN to alrova Send a message via Yahoo to alrova
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
Doubtful. "Staying in the AMA" is a joke at this point. Even if the series survives for next year, it's going to be a building project and you can bet that the factories aren't going to pay shyte to the riders. AMA won't be able to afford Spies at this point and as long as things keep going the way they are.

WSBK is about the only option to him to keep a good paying ride going outside of MotoGP. None of the top AMA riders want to stay in a situation that is uncertain, and I seriously doubt that the factories are going to pay anything for a series that may or may not make money.
We saw hayes already racing a WSS race where i think i heard hayes and zemke are joining running ducs in WSBK, i might be wrong and it is just a rumor.

The way is shapping spies will end in WSBK like i said many many months ago, i hope i am wrong and he gets a GP ride...maybe in a DUC!!!!!!!
Old 09-24-2008, 09:24 PM   #20
Steve O Chap
Big Hero

Bike(s):
1995 Suzuki RF600 - Sold
1993 Honda Shadow - Sold
2001 CBR F4i - Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarosean View Post
Doubtful since Yosh Suzuki is very adamant about pulling the plug on DMG's version of racing with the AMA.

Iffffff they do pull the plug will they, Yosh, compete in the new US Superbike series or will they take their toys and try their luck with the big dogs (WSBK)???

A whole lot of cards are left on the table at this point, leaving us wondering what will be dealt next.

Errrr.... there is no such thing as Yoshimura Suzuki anymore. It's been Rockstar Makita this whole year... Yosh is nothing more than a peripheral sponsor now.

Advertisement