MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2008, 12:19 PM   #1
CLETUS
Jungle Racing

Feedback Rating: (0)

Buell Ulysses XB12XT Input Needed

Seems like three to four times a week, I see the same guy riding my way to work on a Buell Ulysses XB12XT on the beltway. I guess it is that model since it has the bags on it. Seeing it so much it is starting to grow on me. I am getting used to the "adventure look" as the Buell sight calls it.

How are these bikes to live with? I would like to get some info from owners on manners in the winter and summer, maybe issues with the bike or dealing with Buell on repiars, etc.

Thanks

CLETO
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Would like some input TigerGenetics General Discussion (Moto Related) 23 08-06-2013 08:44 PM
econo wheel chock-input needed DAT GUY How To's and Q & A's 4 02-23-2013 12:41 PM
need some input Chaos Off Topic 5 12-13-2009 09:14 PM
Input Needed: SV Track Bike? CLETUS Taking it to the Track 30 01-25-2008 06:05 PM
Advertisement
Old 09-23-2008, 12:35 PM   #2
tarosean

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'99 ZX11/ '65 T120R/'93 Bandit

No Valve adjustments nor Chain issues (Clean/replacement) are huge pluses in my book.

Never owned a Buell but find myself wanting one more and more. Maybe someday, gotta shake that urge for the Connie14 first....
tarosean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 12:50 PM   #3
ninjathatcould
UHD BPOC 241

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2006 EX250
(Totaled 08 XB12R)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to ninjathatcould
I didn't have a Ulysses, but I had a Firebolt and LOVED it. These bikes have massive torque (much like driving a muscle car) with plenty of power right off idle. I always let my XB12 warm up for a good minute before taking off, if I didn't sometimes I would get some coughing.

It's a lot different than bikes. You will constantly fear that your motor is falling apart because the bike vibrates so much and other people will pity you for owning something designed by HD. It's just noise and hot air, though. Top speed is low(er), but it can get there quick. The chassis is incredible and highly maneuverable.

The repairs can be costly if you take the bike to a stealership, so I would recommend going to a trusted shop (Motorcycles Unlimited). In the 4 months I owned my buell it never had any problems other than needing the primary chain adjustments. The valves, as aforementioned, are hydraulic and the belt is rated for tens of thousands of miles.

Go down to Mancuso and tell Bill you want to test ride one. Take your gear and get ready to have a blast.

http://www.badweatherbikers.com/

ninjathatcould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 01:11 PM   #4
Warpbender
warped and bent

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'07 Yammy FZ1 "the faster blue one"
'04 DR650se (sold)

Member Garage

I'm sorry to say Cletus, you don't have the 35"+ inseem to straddle a Ulysis...they are monsters!
If you remember my DR I could flat foot with well....
this one not so lucky!
The Ulysis is my dream bike and I will own one someday (unless someone makes a more awesomistical machine for cheaper) once I can afford one, until then all I can do is dream....
But like Ninjathatcould said by all means go test ride the one at crossroads HD and have a wheelie on me!

Life is too short not to ride nekkid!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaligoneTx View Post
So keep talking chit or try it.
Warpbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 01:14 PM   #5
Warpbender
warped and bent

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'07 Yammy FZ1 "the faster blue one"
'04 DR650se (sold)

Member Garage

If your looking for a bagged out D/S "hooligan" bike also check out the BMW's & KTM's!\
But for the cool factor....HD baby!

Life is too short not to ride nekkid!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaligoneTx View Post
So keep talking chit or try it.
Warpbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 01:45 PM   #6
C.Hern5972
Street Ninja Four Father

Feedback Rating: (5)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
96 ZX7R 37k miles and still strong
2007 HD Softail
2002 Springer Classic
2007 GSXR600

Member Garage

I have a friend with the Buell Ulysses XB12XT and he loves it. He says it is very comfortable to ride, bags come in handy and rides very smoothly. I would consider one as well.

Chris H
"I dont follow rules to well"
C.Hern5972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 02:08 PM   #7
[poser]
"the un-original"

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
'o7 sv650s: Tundra DC 5.7: Trek 1.2
wish I had a motard / dual sport, it'll be next

I've test riden one and it will be my next street bike. the stock seat is one of the most comfortable stock seat out there.

A friend of mine bought one and it came with a corbin seat and the stocker and he likes the stcker better. He recently took it on a trip through NM, CO and UT (that's Utah right?) with no issues

their air cooled, so the only anoying thing about them is the loud fan when you turn it off, but not a big deal.

My frineds comment after he first got it was...
Quote:
The bike has 2 problems. The first one starts with a "9" and ends with a "5". The second one is that although I don't really know how to wheelie, the bike doesn't seem to care.
I'm sure you won't regret it.

I'm like you the adventure look has really grown on me and the Uly is different than all the yuppies riding the big BMW GS with ADV stickers on them and only 1500 miles on the odo
Originally Posted by my father-in-law
Jason is hard to read, I can't always tell if he's joking or if his jugdment really is that bad
[poser] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 02:31 PM   #8
mike

Member Garage

Even though I always get that pitty look when people hear the I ride a Buell because of the HD motor I love it. Why? Well .. it's the same people that say WOW after I lost them in a corner . I ride a Firebolt though, not a Uly. Give it gas and oil and it'll be happy. Plenty of torque. I maxed my XB9r out at about 120 - 125mph which I believe is plenty for the street. As said before, not the fastest bike but it get's to it's top end really quick.

If you like to be different and own a bike that was built to be ridden and not to pose get a Buell!

Mike
Old 09-23-2008, 03:00 PM   #9
CLETUS
Jungle Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpbender View Post
I'm sorry to say Cletus, you don't have the 35"+ inseem to straddle a Ulysis...they are monsters!

The new model is listed as having a 30.7" seat height for the vertically challenged, lol...
Old 09-23-2008, 03:11 PM   #10
GABRIEL

Feedback Rating: (14)

Experience: 1-3 months

An adventure bike looks cool but that thing is ugly. I like the KTM, BMW, and other but that one=
GABRIEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 03:01 AM   #11
sillywabbit

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
Firebolt

Member Garage

never a prob with my Buell. Love mine. Course mine is also the Firebolt, but it's a fun and unique bike.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:13 PM   #12
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

I rode several Buells yesterday at the Inside Pass Buell Demo day at Eagles Canyon.

I have to say, I was impressed with the torque on those. I rode the lightning models, and although they have good power, although a very small torque curve, (you have to stay between 6,000 rpm's and the 7,000 redline to make any steam), the front end likes to shake it's head a lot under power. Of course you have to keep in mind that I was on a track, and pushing very hard. You wont even come close to the limits of the bike on the street.

The seat was comfy, and I really liked the egornomics.

Trail braking on any Buell is next to impossible because of the brake set up. It will stand the bike up everytime. You have to be very smooth with those front ends. Also there was no progression to the brakes. They were either full on, or full off. You had to pull the lever very hard to scrubb speed.

The front end gave great feedback, and you could get on the power very early in the turns. With the high bars, you had lots of leverage to push hard.

The 1125's would walk away from me in the straights, but I was able to brake late, and back her in and pass in the corners.

Overall, I was very impressed with the Buells, and had a freaking blast riding them. Would I ever buy one? Probably not, but it sure was fun to ride the out of someone else's! I would recommend them to someone wanting to do some backroad bombing.
FastLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 08:29 PM   #13
highside

Bike(s):
2006 Buell ulysses, 1971 norton commando, 1975 moto morini strada, KTM 520, crf 150,sikk trailbike..

I have an 06 uly. I've put about 6k miles on it. It has been a blast so far. I have the bags that clip on and off very easily. I have had the good fortune to ride it at MSR one day with Buck and it was a hoot. I just did a couple hundred miles earlier this week in the hill country and my face is tired from smiling. The seat isn't as great for me as it is for some folks, but I suffer from "noassatall". I can still do a couple of hours without having to take a break though. I've ridden on some light trails, dirt roads, track or can throw the wife on the back and do a couple hundred miles. It has a very comfy pillion seat. It is a very versitile bike. My few complaints are the dirty air around my helmet (buffeting) and a hot right leg from the fan. It is certainly no inline 4 as far as speed, but it is torquey as and in the fun part of the power almost all of the time....wheelie, wheelie, wheelie. Check out Badweatherbikers.com....they have all the buell info there. Big bad and dirty is the uly forum. Mine has been trouble free so far. There are some 50k mile ones out there. Later,
Steve
highside is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement