MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2008, 11:39 PM   #1
switch
two fifty

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 10+

question about buying a bike

so I'm curious. how many of you bought your bikes new? and if so how did you go about doing it, shelling out all the cash upfront or finance it? how did you make yourselves drop close to 10k on that brand new gsxr!? gah so many questions, sorry if these are somewhat personal (some don't talking about money). anyways, thanks in advance.
CMRA #250
"Me? I stand for uncertainty, insecurity, bad taste, fun, and things that go boom in the night."
switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Quick question about buying used bike, registration, insurance Father of Two General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 05-20-2010 08:28 AM
Any1 here work @ stubbs? Question about buying a bike? KillinTime General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 02-19-2009 11:22 PM
Question about buying a bike Trung General Discussion (Moto Related) 15 06-24-2008 12:35 PM
Quick question on buying a motorcycle kyu612 How To's and Q & A's 33 02-14-2008 09:07 PM
Buying out of state question randomwalk101 General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 02-11-2008 07:09 PM
Advertisement
Old 09-21-2008, 11:43 PM   #2
jfly
RIP Coach Dave

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
cbr 600 F3 LOR exhaust

Member Garage

did he come pick it up yet, or did he bail
Actual Riding Experience 10+ years
Quote:
I'll say this, he did a pretty decent job hanging with 3 liter bikes on 45 on his F3!!
jfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 11:45 PM   #3
ANTISOCIAL

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
05 cbr 600 rr

Send a message via AIM to ANTISOCIAL
Quote:
Originally Posted by switch View Post
so I'm curious. how many of you bought your bikes new? and if so how did you go about doing it, shelling out all the cash upfront or finance it? how did you make yourselves drop close to 10k on that brand new gsxr!? gah so many questions, sorry if these are somewhat personal (some don't talking about money). anyways, thanks in advance.
Well i'm sure alot of people just finance it (if it's a new bike) the problem with some people is they can't afford the proper insurance (theft/liab./medical etc. I would save up and buy used . If it's your only form of transportation then buying new might be ok .At least put a couple grand down on a new bike though .
Old 09-21-2008, 11:51 PM   #4
switch
two fifty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflys cbr View Post
did he come pick it up yet, or did he bail
he came and got it later in the day. i'm now without a bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANTISOCIAL View Post
Well i'm sure alot of people just finance it (if it's a new bike) the problem with some people is they can't afford the proper insurance (theft/liab./medical etc. I would save up and buy used . If it's your only form of transportation then buying new might be ok .At least put a couple grand down on a new bike though .
yea i figured i'd use the money from the sale as a nice down payment. i guess i'm not necessarily looking at brand spanking new, 'new to me' works too as long as its nice =)
CMRA #250
"Me? I stand for uncertainty, insecurity, bad taste, fun, and things that go boom in the night."
Old 09-22-2008, 12:00 AM   #5
99 Chris
Banned

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2007 Suzuki GSX-R1000
2006 Suzuki GSX-R1000

User is banned

99 Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 03:16 AM   #6
Navajib

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Moto-in-a-Box (CRF450R Motard)
Some Dirties
WTB: Adv Moto!

I bought mine brand new, and I financed through my credit union with a down payment. I was approved with an outstanding rate being my first vehicle loan. But I plan on keeping this bike forever anyways.
Navajib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 05:20 AM   #7
ileono918
On hiatus

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

I went to Houston Yamaha south and buy mine new in cash. There are cetain advantages of doing that:
1. You get a better deal since you will be paying cash (at least that was my experience).
2. You are not making payments on something that is already loosing value.
3. You get a brand new bike.

If you wait a couple of months you can get a killer deal on the 2008s and maybe you might be able to find a brand new 07 now (I mean the year is not important since you will have the privilege to be the first one to fart that seat )
ileono918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 05:36 AM   #8
ninjathatcould
UHD BPOC 241

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2006 EX250
(Totaled 08 XB12R)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to ninjathatcould
Quote:
Originally Posted by switch View Post
i owned two used bikes before i broke down and bought a new one. i was sick of my zx7 having problems and wanted the warranty that comes with new bikes, plus the piece of mind that i had done all the proper maintenance, etc.

i financed my buell through the stealership because it was my first new purchase and i didn't know all my options. if i had to do it again, i would definitely go the same route, yet not neglect the gap insurance. i made 4 payments on her and then she was totalled, so in this case it was a good thing i didnt shell out all that cash and go with liability insurance. (not that i had all that cash )

Quote:
Originally Posted by ileono918 View Post
I went to Houston Yamaha south and buy mine new in cash. There are cetain advantages of doing that:
1. You get a better deal since you will be paying cash (at least that was my experience).
2. You are not making payments on something that is already loosing value.
3. You get a brand new bike.

If you wait a couple of months you can get a killer deal on the 2008s and maybe you might be able to find a brand new 07 now (I mean the year is not important since you will have the privilege to be the first one to fart that seat )
these are excellent points. i remember looking at wild west honda in january and comparing the price of an 08 buell (12k out the door) and an 07 zx10 (9k out the door)... so ileono is right about waiting it out for the next model year to hit the floors. cash is always a good bargaining tool, but you might be able to get freebies thrown in if you ask when financing.

GL on your purchase... i'm about to be in the market for 2 wheels myself

ninjathatcould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 06:20 AM   #9
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Kawasaki EX250 (dead due to mechanical failure)
Kawasaki EX500 (on loan from a friend)
Pending, bikeless once the 500 gone :-(
Want Husky 510SMR or KTM 690 SMC to continue the hooligan activity

I've been wondering the same thing. I can get a brand new Ninja 650r for around $6200 ,and could probably negotiate a little lower, whereas $5k is common craigs list with up to 10k. That is $1k more to know full story and maintenance. I'm thinking for a bike thats used daily it might not be so bad to pick up new if the cost difference isn't huge.
specterunseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 06:35 AM   #10
switch
two fifty

thanks for all the input guys. at the moment i'm eyeing a new 2007 650r.
CMRA #250
Old 09-22-2008, 06:44 AM   #11
gtdrivr
Al Gore lied to me.

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
CBR954 arrrr arrrr

Bought my 10R with cash, but paid full sticker. They had to send a truck from Tampa to Miami to pick up the bike. It was the only Ti bike left. If I had been flexible with color, I could have gotten a great deal!

Riding the back roads of heaven.

gtdrivr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 07:52 AM   #12
mike

Member Garage

Hmm .. I follow a very simple rule: If you can't afford it, don't buy it. I'm with Ileono. Don't wanna make payments on something that's loosing money as soon as you move it out the door. Plus I don't like owing money to somebody else. Always bought used so that the first depreciation is gone and I don't have to take it easy for the break in . I don't keep my bikes long so I don't really care if it goes 20k miles or 30k ...

Mike

Advertisement