MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2008, 07:05 AM   #1
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Kawasaki EX250 (dead due to mechanical failure)
Kawasaki EX500 (on loan from a friend)
Pending, bikeless once the 500 gone :-(
Want Husky 510SMR or KTM 690 SMC to continue the hooligan activity

Ninja 650

I've got a 250. I've put about 10k miles since Jan. I'm researching for my next bike and though I really want a KTM Duke 690, the price doesn't seem great for getting a higher mileage daily use bike, as well as no fairing means when I hit the road to san antonio etc it doesn't look as comfortable, not to mention costs must be cheaper for the Kawi.

So, I've been looking into them and doing a lot of reading, I'd like to hear some of you guys who like them about your experience. I don't need too much power, the 650 seems like plenty enough for street use, and seems like with a few upgrades I could have some fun with it on the track as well.

Besides giving me your perspective....
1. Services costs pretty low?
2. Riding position upright, but is it bolt upright like the 250 or enough of a lean that me @ 6-3 can get under the wind buffeting decently.
3. Does aftermarket slip on make much difference, or better for full exhaust for weight savings and peformance. Which is best for the dollar?

You guys rock.
specterunseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ninja 650 Build sullivan General Discussion (Moto Related) 99 08-01-2012 05:35 PM
Ninja 650 Forum Navajib Off Topic 13 05-04-2009 10:54 AM
Ninja 650 wanted ekfraz General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 11-07-2008 12:43 AM
Ninja 650 *RED* How To's and Q & A's 5 08-03-2007 05:59 PM
2006 Ninja 650 R Yokee General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 10-02-2005 04:23 PM
Advertisement
Old 09-20-2008, 07:15 AM   #2
Hookem2255
Ninja 650 Army sgt....LOL

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2008 Ninja 650R

Member Garage

I will try and answer as best I can,

1.The costs are high...but everything from the stealership is. My first oil change ran me 150.
2.With the stock bars its very upright, I didnt like it..so I replaced the bars for a lower more agressive stance.
3.The stock exhaust comes in about 12lbs, the slip ons vary in wieght but all of them should knock a couple pounds off. as far as preformance, its a slip on...IMO they are made and bought for looks and sound...not performance, id expect very minimal gains here.

If you need a VIN checked PM me!!!
Hookem2255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 09:10 AM   #3
BadApple
What?

Bike(s):
2006 CRF450X SuperMotard
2002 *ROCKSTAR* xr50

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by specterunseen View Post

Besides giving me your perspective....
1. Services costs pretty low?
2. Riding position upright, but is it bolt upright like the 250 or enough of a lean that me @ 6-3 can get under the wind buffeting decently.
3. Does aftermarket slip on make much difference, or better for full exhaust for weight savings and peformance. Which is best for the dollar?

You guys rock.

1) i do all my own service work...costs around $30...easy to do!
2) Get different bars...ninja650shop.com has the sport bars hookem was refering to...for around $170 you can't beat 'em. (agressive and very comfortable.)
3) your not going to notice much of a difference with a slip on. I have a muzzy on my 650...about the only thing you will get out of it is a louder exhaust...i am sure there are minamal gains but not enough to notice.
BTW: Muzzy does make the cheapest full exhaust for the bike...but if you are not planning on racing the bike then there really is no need for a full set-up. i think that you will be plenty happy with just a slip on
BadApple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 03:06 PM   #4
Rallo
The Shogun. Sho'nuff!

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2007 Ninja 650R

I've only owned my Ninja 650 so I can't compare it to a 250 but I think it's a great bike. I would think it's more forgiving than a super sport bike and may not win races against them but can still keep up with the pack. The bike only needs regular gas and you can always do a few tweaks to make the bike a bit more responsive.

1. I would think they are about the same as any other bike. A bit pricey if you go through the dealership and way cheaper if you do it yourself.
2. Riding position is upright but you can by different bars
3. Aftermarket exhaust weighs much less than stock but I would say performance is minor without a power commander. I just got the Scorpion slip on with no PC.

Good luck.
Old 09-20-2008, 03:19 PM   #5
RojerLockless
member of NO MA`AM

Feedback Rating: (10)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
Honda CB919

Member Garage

well i'v had an 06 ninja 250 and have a 07 ninja 650 and the 650 is an awesome bike you should scoop one up for sure!

RojerLockless@Motohouston.com
BRING BACK GIXXERBILL!!!
CRBsig 2
RojerLockless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 04:04 PM   #6
switch
two fifty

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 10+

i was about to ask the same questions as specterunseen. im on the edge of picking up a 650r, just as soon as the guy that is buying my current bike shows up with the cash. seems like a pretty solid bike. anything else thats worth knowing about the 650?
CMRA #250
"Me? I stand for uncertainty, insecurity, bad taste, fun, and things that go boom in the night."
switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 09:05 PM   #7
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Feedback Rating: (3)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Kawasaki EX250 (dead due to mechanical failure)
Kawasaki EX500 (on loan from a friend)
Pending, bikeless once the 500 gone :-(
Want Husky 510SMR or KTM 690 SMC to continue the hooligan activity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave C View Post
You guys rock.
i know we do

Confidence of a brethren is as chicken soup to the soul.
specterunseen is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement