Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2008, 10:25 AM   #1
bdubb

Feedback Rating: (10)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
1961 Mustang Thoroughbred
'06 CBR1000RR (SOLD)

Member Garage

The next South American adventure

Any of you ever ride in or around South America before? I'll be researching routes over the next few weeks and trying to read up some on it all.

I have a Bolivian friend who for the past few years has been loading up containers full of jeeps, motorcycles, etc. and shipping them into Bolivia to be sold at a profit. The latest idea keeps the same trend but adds some fun to it all.

He'll be buying 3 enduro's and shipping them into Chile. From there the plan is to meet the bikes in Chile and then ride them into Bolivia to sell them and fly back home. The ride is said to be 6 hours so I think we'll extend it some within Chile before getting further into the Andes and riding across the salt flat in Bolivia. Once selling the bikes we'll spend a day or two with his family and maybe mountain bike down what they call the worlds most dangerous road before flying back home.

I can't say I would have considered this before, but having a friend that knows the area well and speaks the language with family living there as well makes it more comforting. Then also meeting a bunch of Irish and Austrailians in Peru back in May and talking about their several months of travel around SA sparked a larger interest.

Thoughts, suggestions, or personal experiences?

Last edited by bdubb; 09-17-2008 at 10:29 AM.
bdubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
south and south east riders with fb zx6r-25580 Events, Meets and Rides 7 03-23-2014 07:26 PM
Adventure Riders georgesk General Discussion (Moto Related) 22 05-10-2011 08:48 AM
Black American or African American? blends Off Topic 71 01-30-2009 05:57 PM
My next adventure. Yamawhore Off Topic 10 01-07-2009 08:51 AM
Advertisement
Old 09-17-2008, 10:36 AM   #2
Zapata
a.k.a Dos Equis

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'13 Victory Cross Country
'13 Victory Judge

Member Garage

Sounds cool...!!!! Will be nice if you can document your trip on some kind of blog with loot of pictures..!!!

Like this guy riding from Sacramento, CA to Clute, TX.

http://pashnit.com/8days/8days1.htm

Lots of good reading.
Zapata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 10:41 AM   #3
Drumboy

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
1993 BMW R100GSPD
02 CR250R

I rode from Houston to Big Bend down into Mexico going through Copper Canyon (freaking awesome on endure bikes!) to Durango and riding the Devil's Spine (3,000 curves in 100 miles up to 9,000 feet altitude) to Mazatlan. From there we took the ferry to Baja and up to LA and ended in Las Vegas. Freaking Awesome trip.

I'd love to do that kind of trip, just make sure you know where gas station are (shouldn't be a problem) and don't ride at night. I heard that road is crazy dangerous on mountain bikes.
Drumboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 10:53 AM   #4
bdubb

Bike(s):
'06 CBR1000RR (SOLD)

Member Garage

The group I met in May going to Machu Picchu had just finished up riding with this company. http://www.gravitybolivia.com/

They said the road is better now due to a cut thru that most of the traffic takes now. It isn't the only road for the farmers to get to the market, etc., anymore from what I understand.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:55 AM   #5
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

If you have room for another I might be down for something like this
Old 09-17-2008, 11:04 AM   #6
bdubb

Bike(s):
'06 CBR1000RR (SOLD)

Member Garage

Sounds good. We'll be working out some more details in the next couple weeks and making sure it is something that's feasible.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:08 AM   #7
CLETUS
Jungle Racing

I have done this.
I work in the petroleum industry and have spent the last ten years running all over South America. I usually have buddies that live down there and they have enduros and dirt bikes.
In Bolivia, you can ride death road from Irrebegrasama to Interios. You can also go baja through the mountains along the road but it gets more dangerous. Lots of coca productions and the natives don't like seeing Gringos running around their fields. Let me know if you deside to go to Venezuela or Brazil. I know how some great trails around San Antonio, VZ and Vitoria, BR.

Take a good camera and lots of spare batteries and chargers. You can charge all the batteries at once and then change them through the day. You can always pick up multi-gig cards to put in.
Note that they have different electricity down there so you need a plug adaptor for your lap top. the power adaptor will still work but it won't fit in the wall.

And the toilets swirl in the other direction...
Old 09-17-2008, 11:13 AM   #8
vito_8989
Stranger Danger

I have been to Peru a few times because I'm from there, certain nice places around there but people drive like maniacs worse than Houston.
vito_8989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 11:41 AM   #9
Gigolo Jason

Bike(s):
BMW R1200C

Any open slots? Send me the details. I am interested.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:50 AM   #10
chipo

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'07 695, '99 996, '04 Hurricane Project

Member Garage

I used to ride in Venezuela. Some awesome roads, but be careful with potholes. They are everywhere. You should try http://www.moto-loco.com/ for ecuador. They are very good people.

You should also try to head over to advrider.com You can find many write ups of S. American trips on there for ideas and tips tat you might need.

Pm me if you have any questions.
chipo is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement