MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2008, 09:17 PM   #21
you da man

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 10+

I've had 3 track bikes (two R6's and GSXR750) myself and no fans on either.

Last edited by you da man; 09-17-2008 at 09:19 PM.
you da man is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Track bike catch tank for radiator and crank case breather apexms How To's and Q & A's 0 08-17-2015 04:20 PM
How is everyone storing their bikes/track bikes? f4ihoneybadger General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 11-02-2014 11:59 PM
Track bikes is all together. BrutusTx Taking it to the Track 39 07-02-2007 09:40 PM
Where are all the cheap track bikes Swift E General Discussion (Moto Related) 18 08-17-2006 10:17 AM
Track Bikes Swift E General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 07-05-2006 04:08 PM
Advertisement
Old 09-17-2008, 10:19 PM   #22
Grinchy

Feedback Rating: (15)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'prila

there's absolutely no need to be removing the fan on anything other than a dedicated race bike.
the risk of mistakingly boiling it up & the resultant damage far outweighs the beneficial weight loss gained from removing it.
Grinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 10:50 PM   #23
Radar

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROADandTRACK View Post
HA! WRONG!!!!
Yea - you're right - all the engineers are wrong - you ought to patent your genius idea, you could keep all the current generation bikes from overheating
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 02:48 PM   #24
ROADandTRACK

Bike(s):
Too many to list

We are talking track bikes, aren't we?

If thats the case, no fan runs cooler.

BUT!!!, you can't be dickin' around, or it will overheat.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:14 PM   #25
ange062

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
'07 ZX-6R race bike
'05 SV650 Street
CMRA Expert #826, #63 Team Supafly Mini-Endurance, #26 IDB Racing BB Endurance

Send a message via AIM to ange062
I personally like having the fan on my track bike, especially when july/aug roll around. I have mine hard wired to the battery so I can turn it on during the cool down lap, run it through the pits, and even after I kill the ignition let it continue to cool.

It helped keep boilovers down, I sat and watched my friends fanless bike's boil over at Aug MSR races while mine was just fine with the fan running.
ange062 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 03:21 PM   #26
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Quote:
Mr Richards;1439449] When I read your post, I figured you meant the relay that kicks on your fan when it gets too hot. Is that what you mean as thermostat? The thermostat is different than that

Yes I meant the relay that turns the fan on. You are correct that is not the thermostat. I just misspoke.
I appreciate you looking all that info up and posting it here but I just meant my fan don't work, unless I jump the wire to make it run all the time.
It is my plan to install a toggle switch so I can run it as I want.

Thanks again.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 04:29 PM   #27
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinchy View Post
there's absolutely no need to be removing the fan on anything other than a dedicated race bike.
the risk of mistakingly boiling it up & the resultant damage far outweighs the beneficial weight loss gained from removing it.
I didn't remove it. I bought it this way.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 04:36 PM   #28
Grinchy

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
I didn't remove it. I bought it this way.
I read that
my statement was a generalization, not for you specifically

you just need to watch that temp guage like a hawk and remove the thermostat if it hasn't already been
Old 09-18-2008, 05:50 PM   #29
Wormgear

Bike(s):
Kawi C-14
07 R6 track

Ok, First we all know the fan’s not doing anything to help cool the bike at speeds upward of about 30 mph right?
Second, no way I believe that one small fan on the back of the radiator is going to disturb airflow enough to make the bike run hotter.
Third, Weight savings? GTF outta here. Take a before you get on the bike, you'll save more weight.
And another, the fan would be a big help in preventing an overheat if you are for any reason running your engine for a couple of minutes or more at speeds under say, 30 mph. Especially on a hot day.
Last, sometimes, not always, removing the thermostat can increase engine temps because without the restriction caused by the open thermostat, the water / coolant flows through the radiator too fast to dissipate much heat.
Old 09-18-2008, 06:07 PM   #30
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
I read that

you just need to watch that temp guage like a hawk and remove the thermostat if it hasn't already been
I'm going to ride in the slow group at TWS (Texas World Speedway) next weekend to shake it down.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Old 09-18-2008, 07:21 PM   #31
Grinchy

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormgear View Post
Ok, First we all know the fan’s not doing anything to help cool the bike at speeds upward of about 30 mph right?
Second, no way I believe that one small fan on the back of the radiator is going to disturb airflow enough to make the bike run hotter.
Third, Weight savings? GTF outta here. Take a before you get on the bike, you'll save more weight.And another, the fan would be a big help in preventing an overheat if you are for any reason running your engine for a couple of minutes or more at speeds under say, 30 mph. Especially on a hot day.
Last, sometimes, not always, removing the thermostat can increase engine temps because without the restriction caused by the open thermostat, the water / coolant flows through the radiator too fast to dissipate much heat.

did you know that no MotoGP, 250 or 125 race bike or F1 car uses cooling fans,
you think there might be a reason besides the rider/driver finding it hard to take a in his race gear.

production racing can be different but at the top end of most track motorsport, the fan is a liability.

Now trackdays and club racing, that's different
Old 09-18-2008, 08:06 PM   #32
ROADandTRACK

Bike(s):
Too many to list

Quote:
I read that

No, you DO NOT remove the thermostat. Thats BAD!
Old 09-18-2008, 08:28 PM   #33
Radar

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

What causes the engine to run hotter when the thermostat is removed (in most cases) is:

The lack of restriction (that the thermostat provides - even when open) on the discharge side of the water pump. This allows the pump to increase it's flow to the point where there is no longer adequate liquid to the suction side of the pump, which then causes the water pump to cavitate.

It's known in the pump world as insufficient NPSH (net positive suction head).

When cavitation occurs all breaks loose in the suctions side of the pumps impeller. On large pumps it sounds like there are rocks in the pump. The cavitation then disrupts the flow and the result is much less flow through the pump than when the correct restriction is in the discharge line (the thermostat).
Old 09-18-2008, 08:56 PM   #34
Wormgear

Bike(s):
Kawi C-14
07 R6 track

Quote:

did you know that no MotoGP, 250 or 125 race bike or F1 car uses cooling fans,
Yes I know, I was addressing some thread titled “radiator fans on track bikes”.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:50 AM   #35
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
What causes the engine to run hotter when the thermostat is removed (in most cases) is:

The lack of restriction (that the thermostat provides - even when open) on the discharge side of the water pump. This allows the pump to increase it's flow to the point where there is no longer adequate liquid to the suction side of the pump, which then causes the water pump to cavitate.

When cavitation occurs all breaks loose in the suctions side of the pumps impeller. On large pumps it sounds like there are rocks in the pump. The cavitation then disrupts the flow and the result is much less flow through the pump than when the correct restriction is in the discharge line (the thermostat).

Also, the water doesn't spend enough time in the radiator to pass heat to the air.

CMRA #302
Old 09-19-2008, 09:11 AM   #36
Radar

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Quote:
Also, the water doesn't spend enough time in the radiator to pass heat to the air.
That is correct - I was just trying to explain the "why" it doesn't pump as well with the thermostat removed.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:07 AM   #37
Jerran V

Bike(s):
2006 GSXR 1000

I took off my fan and replaced it with a heat gun...I like it hot
Jerran V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 04:04 PM   #38
Elistan

Bike(s):
07 CBR600RR

Quote:
But it also spends less time in the engine so it heats up less.
Elistan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 09:02 AM   #39
Grinchy

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post

I was blissfully unaware of this phenomenom in motorcycle engines, although I've experienced cavitation with speedboat motors, thanks for explaining.
Back home it was the accepted practice to remove the thermostat on bikes without fans.
We never lost an engine due to overheating it has to be said but perhaps we were just lucky.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:05 AM   #40
Mongrel

Bike(s):
SV650

I have not run a fan on my race bikes since 2000. Early SVs were notorious for running hot, and the fan removal helped it run just a bit cooler. Corse all my bikes have been supersport with stock radiators so I don’t know if a built motor would be more prone to overheating. BTW most of my racing has been done in Phoenix in 105 deg plus days, and I never had an overheating issue without the fan on the bike. Too each his own I guess.
CMRA #161 RRSW (CCS) #61
Mongrel Racing
Faith69
Roof Helmets
Dunlop Tires
Mongrel is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement