MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2008, 08:11 AM   #1
CLETUS
Jungle Racing

Feedback Rating: (0)

US Superbike?

I was hoping these guys would be able to work this out with DMG so we wouldn't have Cart and IRL with bikes.

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2008/Sep/080910ussb.htm
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Electric Superbike Rael General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 06-01-2013 05:55 PM
Superbike cajun315 General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 07-27-2010 07:45 PM
Superbike B Class Swift E Taking it to the Track 4 01-19-2008 12:49 PM
Advertisement
Old 09-11-2008, 09:11 AM   #2
Elistan

Bike(s):
07 CBR600RR

Sweet!
Elistan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 09:16 AM   #3
Scorpio
Twist the Grip, Let'r Rip

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

450x sumo (sold)
RC51 (sold)
Honda Grom 125(sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Scorpio
DMG
.................................standard
Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 11:47 AM   #4
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Feedback Rating: (5)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio View Post
DMG
.................................standard
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 04:26 PM   #5
Ronnie H.
LSTD Mafioso

Bike(s):
02 CRF450, 03 YZ250F, 04 CRF50, 08 Duc 1098, 10 Aprilia RSV4 Factory

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLETUS View Post
I was hoping these guys would be able to work this out with DMG so we wouldn't have Cart and IRL with bikes.
I just see USSB as being a puppet for the OEM's. I predict three USSB classes for 2010:
1 for Honda
1 for Kawasaki
1 for Suzuki

Let the cherry picking begin.

And DMG is not without fault, but as they are the "new" players there is no history to critique......yet.

Why is WSBK such a level field?
Ronnie H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 04:44 PM   #6
SCRC John

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie H. View Post
I just see USSB as being a puppet for the OEM's. I predict three USSB classes for 2010:
1 for Honda
1 for Kawasaki
1 for Suzuki

Let the cherry picking begin.

And DMG is not without fault, but as they are the "new" players there is no history to critique......yet.

I kinda think that is because there is really no "factory" teams. Ducati is about it, and they are leading the points for the championship. Also the Ducati has the most critiqued machine in WSBK. They have the weight penalty, with the threat of additional weight being added. Obviously some of the other teams have some backdoor factory support, but nothing on the scale of a full factory effort by any of the Japanese OEM's.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:55 PM   #7
thetank
You're My Boy, Blue!!!

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
B-KING
R1 Race Bike - last of the 5 valves
KTM 450 SMR
To name a few . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie H. View Post
A couple of years ago, the Flamini brothers purchased the WSBK series. They did the unthinkable. . . they made Pirelli the SOLE SPEC TIRE manufacturer for the series. ALL race teams had to use the same tires!

Of course, this caused a number of problems that first season, but since then
WSBK has become the single most exciting racing series in the world due to close racing, and all teams finishing on the same lap.

Previously, the tire manufacturers produced special tires for the factory teams, ONLY. This was the major advantage that factories had over the rest of the field.

This is what Dunlop does in the AMA series, now. The difference was made VERY evident back when Josh Hayes raced for the Attack Kawasaki Superbike team. He was the only superbike representing Kawasaki, but he was not a FACTORY team. His best finish for the series was 7th place. For three races during that season, Dunlop gave him FACTORY tires. For those three races, Josh was on the podium. The factory teams spoke with Dunlop. Dunlop took away the FACTORY tires. Josh was back to 7th place.

Once Josh joined a factory effort (Erion Honda Racing in FX series), he was up front and winning races. Not because Erion made more horsepower (all the top 10 guys get 150hp from their bikes)but because they got factory tires!

DMG was trying to bring some of the "levelling" done by the WSB series by going even farther than just tires, they wanted spec fuel, power to weight ratios, and all the factories teams out of racing. This was the formula that Bill France, Jr did with NASCAR in 1972(?). They wanted all the factories out of racing (right after the Chrysler Superbird destroyed EVERYONE in the field).They think they can do it again for motorcycle racing. We'll see . . .

The funny thing is that they way the series is now, all the factory bikes (10 of them) all run on Dunlop Factory Race Tires. They all weigh 365 lbs, and they all make about 240 horsepower, and all run on the same AMA legal fuel. Yet, Ben Spies and Mat Mladin check out on the field with a 15-20 second gap at the end of each race. Apparantly the bikes need even more "equalizing" . . .
thetank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 07:44 AM   #8
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
What worked with NASCAR won't work with AMA pro racing. I'm just baffled at the fact that DMG can't see that. NASbike CANNOT work!
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 09:15 AM   #9
SCRC John

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
What worked with NASCAR won't work with AMA pro racing. I'm just baffled at the fact that DMG can't see that. NASbike CANNOT work!
I have to agree. The OEM's use roadracing to develop technology to advance the production machine's that they manufacture. The car industry does not use Nascrap to develope anything. Motorcycle roadracing has other purposes. Spec'ing everything out and limiting machine development really limits the usefulness of the racing in regards to machine developement.

That is why, for the most part, there are not any factory efforts in BSB, WSBK or WSS. These limits that the sactioning bodies have, promote close racing, but that in turn discourages deveoplment & the advantages those developments may offer.

John

Advertisement