MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Cruisers Lounge
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2008, 11:10 PM   #1
thetank
You're My Boy, Blue!!!

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
B-KING
R1 Race Bike - last of the 5 valves
KTM 450 SMR
To name a few . . .

SMOKED A HARLEY WITH LITTLE EFFORT

On the way home from dinner, I was at the stoplight, and a thin, middle aged guy on a modified Dyna pulled along side me in my lane. The first thing I noticed was that we wore NO PROTECTIVE GEAR, whatsoever. There is no helmet law in Texas, which I like. But I am very prejudiced against the intellect of those who choose to ride unprotected. But then again, he was riding a Harley. It was a newer Dyna Wide Glide with Screaming Eagle cylinders, a modified airbox, and BUB pipes, as well as a copious amount of chrome. It was obvious this guy had over $30,000 invested in his bike.

He pulled along side me and looked at my bike the way EVERYONE does when they observe it for the first time. Took a full two seconds to look it over. He then shouts to me, "Is it fast?" I simply nodded.
"How much does it weigh?", he shouted again.
"Under 600!", I shouted back.

At this moment, the light turned green. The guy on the Harley took off first. I pulled the visor down on my helmet and fed the clutch in second gear, the B-king engaged smoothly, and pulled away, effortlessly. The B-king tends to run out of RPM's pretty quickly in second. Since I am still breaking in the motor, I short-shifted into third gear.

As I pulled alongside the Dyna, the rider leaned forward and rolled into the throttle, looking for some fun. I gave him a couple of bike lengths and two shifts before I turned it on. I rolled into what I THOUGHT was full throttle.

A brief background on my riding experience: this is my first streetbike in years. I have been racing motocross, endurance roadracing, and supermoto. All these bikes have quarter-turn throttles. The B-king has a HALF-TURN throttle. It wasn't until I ran out of range-of-motion in my wrist that I realized this.

Back to the Harley: I flew by him so fast, you would have thought he was parked. I let the RPM's carry to about 8000 before I let off, and coasted over 100 yards to the next redlight.

It was at least two seconds before I could even hear him catching up!

When he caught up, he shouted, "How much horsepower on that thing?"

"About 180!" I shouted back.

"How fast did you go, just then?"

"Third gear, half-throttle!"

He shook his head in total disbelief. I just shrugged and prepared to pull away as the light turned green.

The Harley revved his motor on down the road, his open exhaust pipes echoing in the distance. I idled along in third gear, marvelling at the refinement of this amazing machine the gods of horsepower have delivered upon us mortals.

Long live my new B-King!!!
thetank is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Last effort for help Shrevej8 Performance and Modifications 13 09-19-2015 06:33 AM
presents: expense vs effort Chubby Racer Off Topic 29 12-15-2009 05:57 PM
smoked!!! shiz85 General Discussion (Moto Related) 24 03-27-2009 03:27 AM
A for effort I guess issanni General Discussion (Moto Related) 27 03-26-2008 07:49 PM
Advertisement
Old 09-10-2008, 11:19 PM   #2
SecretAgent
The one and only

Bike(s):
08 Harley FXDB Street Bob

Send a message via AIM to SecretAgent
yeah, not too many harleys that are even a decent match for a b-king.
"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them - but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous. "
-Hunter S. Thompson
SecretAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 11:19 PM   #3
NoFear
Busa Chairman of Posing

Feedback Rating: (2)

Long live the Naked Busa ... the B-King
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength-
NoFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 11:19 PM   #4
RojerLockless
member of NO MA`AM

Feedback Rating: (10)

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
Honda CB919

Member Garage

Congrats you beat the Honda Accord of motorcycles!

RojerLockless@Motohouston.com
BRING BACK GIXXERBILL!!!
CRBsig 2
RojerLockless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 11:20 PM   #5
R1CHZ
Becoming a regular here

Feedback Rating: (0)

nice kill
R1CHZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 11:26 PM   #6
burnboy
upliftmofopartyplan

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2011 kawi z 1000

and there is a helmet law in texas.
burnboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 11:42 PM   #7
jrob
cheers

Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
KTM 450 XC-F
DRZ 400 Kick/Motard Convert

nice story.

a 600 will waist a harley though. you just killed a mosquito with an army tank.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:44 PM   #8
thetank
You're My Boy, Blue!!!

Bike(s):
B-KING
R1 Race Bike - last of the 5 valves
KTM 450 SMR
To name a few . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobertson View Post
nice story . . .you just killed a mosquito with an army tank.
That's funny right there, . . . I don't care who you are!
thetank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 12:15 AM   #9
exlaverda

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetank View Post
On the way home from dinner, I was at the stoplight, and a thin, middle aged guy on a modified Dyna pulled along side me in my lane. The first thing I noticed was that we wore NO PROTECTIVE GEAR, whatsoever. There is no helmet law in Texas, which I like. But I am very prejudiced against the intellect of those who choose to ride unprotected. But then again, he was riding a Harley. It was a newer Dyna Wide Glide with Screaming Eagle cylinders, a modified airbox, and BUB pipes, as well as a copious amount of chrome. It was obvious this guy had over $30,000 invested in his bike.

He pulled along side me and looked at my bike the way EVERYONE does when they observe it for the first time. Took a full two seconds to look it over. He then shouts to me, "Is it fast?" I simply nodded.

At this moment, the light turned green. The guy on the Harley took off first. I pulled the visor down on my helmet and fed the clutch in second gear, the B-king engaged smoothly, and pulled away, effortlessly. The B-king tends to run out of RPM's pretty quickly in second. Since I am still breaking in the motor, I short-shifted into third gear.

As I pulled alongside the Dyna, the rider leaned forward and rolled into the throttle, looking for some fun. I gave him a couple of bike lengths and two shifts before I turned it on. I rolled into what I THOUGHT was full throttle.

A brief background on my riding experience: this is my first streetbike in years. I have been racing motocross, endurance roadracing, and supermoto. All these bikes have quarter-turn throttles. The B-king has a HALF-TURN throttle. It wasn't until I ran out of range-of-motion in my wrist that I realized this.

Back to the Harley: I flew by him so fast, you would have thought he was parked. I let the RPM's carry to about 8000 before I let off, and coasted over 100 yards to the next redlight.

He shook his head in total disbelief. I just shrugged and prepared to pull away as the light turned green.

The Harley revved his motor on down the road, his open exhaust pipes echoing in the distance. I idled along in third gear, marvelling at the refinement of this amazing machine the gods of horsepower have delivered upon us mortals.

It must have been that modified airbox that no Dyna has ever had that allowed you to prove your superiority.....

just sayin'
'76 Laverda3CL....
PGR rider, and proud of it!
exlaverda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 06:00 AM   #10
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
lots of em

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetank View Post

good story, I likes a good write up. a busa against an old doood on a dyna, awesome...
there are some quick hardleys out there, but sadly rare birds. Even the older guys who think they have something, dont really. Mine is prolly one of the quicker ones in the SE area, but still only looking at an 11 sec 1/4 times or so, and thats fast for a hardley

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]

Last edited by ScooterTrash; 09-11-2008 at 06:02 AM.
ScooterTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 06:01 AM   #11
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Bike(s):
lots of em

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlaverda View Post
It must have been that modified airbox that no Dyna has ever had that allowed you to prove your superiority.....

just sayin'

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]
Old 09-11-2008, 06:28 AM   #12
C.Hern5972
Street Ninja Four Father

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
96 ZX7R 37k miles and still strong
2007 HD Softail
2002 Springer Classic
2007 GSXR600

Member Garage

i bet not having any gear on gave you more HP too..

Chris H
"I dont follow rules to well"
C.Hern5972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 06:39 AM   #13
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Bike(s):
lots of em

^^ well, that would give the advantage to the hardley squid, he cuts the air better w/ no gear, its total package racing at its finest.

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
[/QUOTE]
Old 09-11-2008, 09:56 AM   #14
gunshotwound
You have been warned!

Bike(s):
YAMAHA R6
YAMAHA FZ6

Member Garage

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by RojerLockless View Post
Congrats you beat the YUGO of motorcycles!
Fixed. You are welcome.

CMRA #106
gunshotwound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 10:04 AM   #15
Petro
C'Mon... Building 7

i smoke heavily modified harleys all the time... im just on a victory kingpin with exhaust and tune.
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 10:17 AM   #16
SPYDER BITE
Can-Am has arrived

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2009 Can-Am Spyder 990

bwahahaha that's nothin' me and Tim blasted a harley in the national forest 2 up on my old 250
Old 09-11-2008, 10:19 AM   #17
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

if you'd ever come out with a helmet, i'd like to run you. only experience i have is running with sport bikes...
Old 09-11-2008, 10:24 AM   #18
Petro
C'Mon... Building 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacivic View Post
if you'd ever come out with a helmet, i'd like to run you. only experience i have is running with sport bikes...
i always wear muh helmet
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 12:00 PM   #19
isoplus
should be working

Bike(s):
Honda Shadow VT750C2, Hyosung GV650

B-King is a two-wheeled version of Darth Vader. It's big. It's black. And the Force is definitely on its side.
isoplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 01:03 PM   #20
level5
moving chicane

I smoked the Harley on my VTX all the time, no biggie. The only Harley that are fast is the V-rod, nightrod or ramrod.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement