MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

View Poll Results: Which is more beneficial overall to a rider?
Advanced MSF Course 12 22.22%
Track Day 42 77.78%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2008, 02:42 PM   #1
Htownz

Member Garage

Adv MSF Course vs. Track Day

What would you say would be more beneficial to a rider, in all aspects of riding? Keep factors of cost/time/experience/bike in mind.
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MSF Course Day 1 Se7eN73 General Discussion (Moto Related) 34 03-31-2010 01:38 PM
So after my first day at MSF... elephant head New Riders and MSF Course Info 11 01-26-2009 11:55 AM
RideSmart Track Day @ TWS (Texas World Speedway) 5.26.08 - Memorial Day!!! - Roll Call Ridesmart Taking it to the Track 6 04-09-2008 06:07 PM
Modern day MSF question? tarosean General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 01-04-2008 03:02 PM
Scooter's Day One MSF Class Review ......come one, come all ScooterTrash New Riders and MSF Course Info 37 03-13-2007 09:23 AM
Advertisement
Old 09-09-2008, 02:46 PM   #2
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Two completely different classes. MSF is going to teach you some street survival skills that won't translate to the track. Track riding will increase your ability, while MSF can increase your awareness. IMO.

Edit: There is no substitute for seat time.
tiatool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 02:48 PM   #3
Gryphin
09 r1!

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
09 Yamaha R1
06 Ninja ZX-6R (RIP)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Gryphin
msf will teach you how to stay safe on the street, track will teach you how to use the abilty of the bike to go fast. you dont want to try and carry over what you learn on the track to the street because the street isnt a place to try and drag knee.
Old 09-09-2008, 03:00 PM   #4
Htownz

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphin View Post
msf will teach you how to stay safe on the street, track will teach you how to use the abilty of the bike to go fast. you dont want to try and carry over what you learn on the track to the street because the street isnt a place to try and drag knee.
Wouldn't learning how to ride fast with proper control be a huge plus on the street? Granted if you want to drag knees on 610, that is just plain stupid. But I would think the rush from riding is nothing but the speed from sportbikes. I don't even think i'd ever get a cruiser later in life. Being safe is always a given to me, or to anyone wanting to even ride a motorcycle. If it came down to the benefit, what would you guys say the best course is, as far as bang for your buck, or skills that you can somewhat transcend from street to track, or vice versa?
Old 09-09-2008, 03:01 PM   #5
GLD
track junkie

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
F2 w/ F3 engine 2001 RC51

Agreed my answer depends on the rider's goals and intended mode of riding. In my opinion for most sportbike riders I think the answer is trackday-where you can explore your bikes potential and response in a much safer environment.

MSF in my opinion is mostly . Good for the basics if no bike experience. It also can help point out things not entirely obvious to an experienced rider-but there is nothing you can get there that you can't get elsewhere. There is no replacement for tracktime for that aspect of riding.
GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 03:06 PM   #6
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

Since you are talking about ADVANCED MSF, I say Trackday. Between a trackday and the basic MSF, for the street rider who never did the MSF, I'd chose the MSF for sure.
Old 09-09-2008, 03:10 PM   #7
Gryphin
09 r1!

Feedback Rating: (9)

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
09 Yamaha R1
06 Ninja ZX-6R (RIP)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Gryphin
trust me after a trackday the street will suck..

i too use to ride the street all the time, and at a good pace.. but after doing a trackday i realized what i was doing on the street, speed wise was a freaking JOKE compared to the speed and thrill of ripping the throttle on the track.

just something about going all the way up to 6th gear with the throttle pinned and coming down into turn one at TWS (Texas World Speedway) that the street just cant match, because if you got caught going those speeds on the street, your going to jail!

plus at the track that section of the track your riding at that moment is yours so you can completly forget about whos coming up behind me, am i going to hit a car around this turn, can i make it another 3-4 miles at this speed without a ticket. you get to take your mirrors off and you own the track pretty much, if their are faster people behind you they will find a way around of course in a safe fashion. you just cant beat that on the street with cars trying to run you over from not paying attention to cops trying to give you tickets and jail time.

the joy of riding the streets for me is dead, minus if me and a few close friends go on a relaxing ride somewhere i get a kick out of hanging with the crew not so much the ride.
Old 09-09-2008, 03:44 PM   #8
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
A track day will show you how to ride your bike at your limits (YOUR limits, not the bike) I think this is more valuable even on the street than learning how to go through cones, slow, better.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 03:46 PM   #9
lynkxda1
MotoHouston Street Ninja

Experience: 9-12 months

Bike(s):
2006 Kawawsaki zx 600RR

Well said, now I really want to hit the track
Old 09-09-2008, 03:48 PM   #10
matemike
Grip it 'n' Rip it!

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR 750
2007 GSXR 600...tracked out

Member Garage

A trackday teaches high speed maneuvering, we all ride at higher speeds than parking lot speeds majority of the time. TD FTMFW, get in TTD novice class, check the td checklist as a start for a successful day, and grip it n rip it.
Old 09-09-2008, 03:53 PM   #11
Jerran V

Bike(s):
2006 GSXR 1000

Track for sure...not only does it teach you high speed moves, but more importantly you will improve your braking ability 10 fold
Jerran V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:02 PM   #12
OMEGA
good eenin *****es

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2001 sv650(totalled) 01 yzfr6 now 2003sv1000

Member Garage

fool you need a lesson on bike maintanance
Old 09-09-2008, 04:04 PM   #13
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
The track is fun, but I like to get out, meet people, get lost and find answered prayers when that gas light has been on for the last 30 some miles.
Old 09-09-2008, 04:07 PM   #14
Htownz

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMEGA View Post
fool you need a lesson on bike maintanance
You had to bring your into my thread didn't you. Here I am trying to be serious.

I just see alot of people convert, and hardly ever ride the street after a track day. I know it would get vey addictive, and I could see dropping a couple hundred each time for that rush would be worth it. But when it comes to MSF, does it even compare? My trip out to the twisted sisters in Hill Country made me feel like I was missing out big-time I actually felt free for a while.
Old 09-09-2008, 04:11 PM   #15
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

LOL you mean 3 sisters. Twisted sister is an 80's glam band.

tiatool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:13 PM   #16
Htownz

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiatool View Post
LOL you mean 3 sisters. Twisted sister is an 80's glam band.
yeah I hear people calling them both. Whatever they're called, it seems like twisties at high speeds would be something to die for. Hence, this thread.
Old 09-09-2008, 04:21 PM   #17
OMEGA
good eenin *****es

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2001 sv650(totalled) 01 yzfr6 now 2003sv1000

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htownz View Post
You had to bring your into my thread didn't you. Here I am trying to be serious.

I just see alot of people convert, and hardly ever ride the street after a track day. I know it would get vey addictive, and I could see dropping a couple hundred each time for that rush would be worth it. But when it comes to MSF, does it even compare? My trip out to the twisted sisters in Hill Country made me feel like I was missing out big-time I actually felt free for a while.
man you need to just find somethin to drop a few hundred on huh, lol
Old 09-09-2008, 04:25 PM   #18
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htownz View Post
it seems like twisties at high speeds would be something to die for. Hence, this thread.

They are. I just prefer mine with a crash truck, an ambulance waiting, and no oncoming traffic
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:27 PM   #19
NorthHoustonGSXR
Yes I do.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2006 GSX 600R
mystery bike
2000 CBR600F4 track only (SOLD)

Track day for sure....after riding the streets for several years doing one track day changed my opinion completely. My bike is now strictly track. I highly suggest it. PLus you'll meet just as many people at the track as you would a m&g.

xdng33m4iv
GOVERNMENT IS THE REAL MIDDLE MAN. COMMON BUSINESS PRACTICE IS TO ELIMINATE THE MIDDLE MAN.
NorthHoustonGSXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:34 PM   #20
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

As a track day instructor, and former MSF instructor, you will get much more out of the track day than you will the advanced MSF course.

At the track you will learn how to handle things thrown at you at high speeds, such as how to safely handle a blind, decreasing radius corner that sneaks up on you on the road, you will learn how to brake properly from big speed, and use more of your brakes than you thought your tires or ability could handle. You'll learn how to commit to a corner, and use proper throttle control to adjust lines, and speed. You'll have a safe place to learn to trail brake, and how to use it effectively.

The track is not just about going fast, but about combining all aspects of motorcycling riding, without oncoming traffic, or any other hazards you will encounter on public roads.

Very little of what you learn on the street will carry over to the track, but everything you learn on the track you can take back to the streets.
FastLine is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement