MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > New Riders and MSF Course Info
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2008, 10:37 PM   #21
NightBaron
Prospective Two-Wheeler

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
none, unfortunately

Holy moly, I just got a look at the new Yamaha FZ6R. Assuming the bike doesn't suck mechanically or suck to sit on, that is the bike I wanna get. For anyone worried about snap buying decisions, consider this an excited utterance. I'll always do my homework first. This bike is just encouraging me to do it all the faster. It even comes in blue...*daydreaming begins*
NightBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bike recommendation and question racerx454 New Riders and MSF Course Info 40 06-11-2013 09:51 PM
First Bike Recommendation sunday_rider General Discussion (Moto Related) 17 12-27-2012 05:03 PM
Recommendation help Bevo Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 2 10-15-2009 05:24 AM
Recommendation Myrdok General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 06-12-2009 03:20 PM
Lawyer Recommendation? 04RSVR Off Topic 8 03-25-2008 12:10 PM
Advertisement
Old 09-10-2008, 10:53 PM   #22
NightBaron
Prospective Two-Wheeler

Bike(s):
none, unfortunately

Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Oliveira View Post
Ive been on I-10 290, 610 loop, forest in magnolia and MY personal opinion is if you get a 250 or 500 or SV you would be bored of it within the first few months.
I've heard a lot of folks suggest getting a 250 and flipping it after a few months. But I've also heard more people say I'd get tired of it fast. Since I'd rather get something I can keep a while, I'll have to agree with you on that one. I'm still going to keep 500s in my consideration set for now, and see if they remain after I get a motorcycle license and do some test rides. I imagine the test rides will be some of the most decisive information I get.

That said, I don't see myself jumping on a serious sportbike like a Kawasaki ZX-6R, but more user-friendly 600s and 650s like the Ninja 650R seem to be more my style for now.
NightBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 12:59 PM   #23
logan5

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2001 SV 650 (my track ), 2005 SV 650s

I would still recomend getting the 250 ... but if you insist getting something bigger, I would then suggest the SV650 or the Ninja 650r ... However ... in all seriousness, keeping your first bike for just a year is not uncommon.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:14 PM   #24
Hooligan
Presrvtionthrudestruction

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
08 CBR 600rr
06 GSXR600
07 Honda crf50 (stunt)
Your mom

Send a message via AIM to Hooligan
The bikes you have listed are all great chooses. Out of all of them I have only rode the Kawi 650, and it was really comfy and smooth but still had some . Talk to Warpbener about the yamaha, he loves his
I learned the awesomeness that is Hooligan.
Never trust your own eyes, believe what you are told.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 10:17 PM   #25
The Black Sheepdog
Derp

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
09 600RA
06 F4i
fiddy

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to The Black Sheepdog
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBaron View Post
Holy moly, I just got a look at the new Yamaha FZ6R. Assuming the bike doesn't suck mechanically or suck to sit on, that is the bike I wanna get. For anyone worried about snap buying decisions, consider this an excited utterance. I'll always do my homework first. This bike is just encouraging me to do it all the faster. It even comes in blue...*daydreaming begins*
Wow. Great looking bike. Talk to 06fairedFZ1 about his experiences with his bike as he has one very similar to the FZ6R.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:20 PM   #26
Jetkillr
Trackdays:7 Crashes:3

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
2001 SV650S
2001 R6 SOLD

Member Garage

my first bike was and still is my R6 and it was a track only bike. snappy throttle and rode pretty tall since it was set up for someone 6lbs heavier than me. but i learned and took baby steps on it and was ok. i crashed my first trackday halfway through the day so i would say that no matter what you get i would buy used and just take your time to learn your ride and you should be ok. personally i havnt hearn any thing about any of the bikes except the SV650 but then again ive been around the race track quite a bit.
Jetkillr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 02:32 PM   #27
kenup283

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
01 Bandit 1200

Member Garage

Lots of cool bikes on the list. I too like the standard style since I ride to work mostly that is until I got bit my the track bug. Thanks Buck.

Defiently check out the motocycle show at reliant next weekend 11/22-23. I think you can even test ride with a M licence. But your be able to sit on them all and see what your tells you.

After looking at all the bikes mentioned myself just 1 yr ago, I ended up with a Bandit 1200 used because I got a good deal on it (pics in my garage link). Keep the right wrist in check for the first 6 months and then let'er ripe. I don't think your get tired of this one for what your interested in. Not trying to add to your list but I've been happy with it as a hefty all purpose and cheap bike. If you take naturally to riding at the MSF course and the operation of the gears and throttle come smooth and natural I think it could be managed as a first bike with some decipline.

Here are some pics of others that I would consider if buying new. Kawis new ER-6N and Versys (varients of the before mentioned 650R) and Suz new Gladius (an SV650 powered ducati look alike).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ER-6N.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	16668   Click image for larger version

Name:	versis.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	16669   Click image for larger version

Name:	SFV650K9 AKA Gladius.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	16670  

Old 11-21-2008, 01:57 AM   #28
loosenoose
veteran novice

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

you really dont need to bother with anything less than a turbo'd busa.

tl;dr
really though, eliminating the sv and ninja 250 kills 2 great starter bikes. the gsx-f is a lame bike. dude, my ratty sv is cooler than a new gsx-f.

if i were getting my first bike (and i had some knowledge of motorcycles, unlike what did happen with my first bike) i'd go for a beaten ninja 250. get something that isnt going to immediately land you a fly honey on the back pillion. get something that will require you to get your hands dirty and possibly a few knuckles. you want your first bike to be cheap.
it doesnt get much cheaper than a 250. best part is that when you feel confident in your abilities and want to move up, sell the 250 for what you paid for it.

tl;dr again, ninja 250, sv 650, turbo busa. those are your options.

Last edited by loosenoose; 11-21-2008 at 01:58 AM. Reason: turbo busa.
loosenoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 04:07 AM   #29
dc5-r

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
2007 R6

You should definately buy a 2008 ninja 250r oh wait i have one for sale...

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=66933
dc5-r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 09:06 AM   #30
JBIRD5363

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
01 50
85 Honda atc 250 sx
95 dr 650

no shame in a two fiddy the new one is sharp you are going to drop your first bike buy a beater ride for six monthes to a year and then get what you want I started on a ninja 500 it was ugly but did the trick I just got a kawi zzr-600 might want to check one out on your list the gsx-500f wouldn't be to bad ask squady body about hers pester just sold his they might be able to give you some insight
JBIRD5363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 09:15 AM   #31
ThomasNinja650
SSG Coleman

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650-R

Kawasaki Ninja 650R

I own one and I have to say that I'm very impressed with the bike so far. It is very forgiving. The bike is very comfortable to ride and does have power to it. I use it as much as I can for driving back and forth to work. (weather permitting).

I have the stock bars on it right now but I also plan on getting a set of aftermarket sports bars. There are tons of aftermarket for the bike. My opinion is to not buy the 250 if you're planning on keeping the bike for a while.

Hope this helps some.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:38 PM   #32
tustah

Bike(s):
2008 GSX-R750

How is a 2005 Ninja ZZR 600 Ninja as a starter bike?

http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/943092622.html
tustah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 04:55 PM   #33
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

not good.

look into a 500
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 05:34 PM   #34
ekfraz

Bike(s):
2013 Can Am Spyder RT
2014 Yamaha Bolt

I have a good starter bike for sale. http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/939247607.html
ekfraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 05:48 PM   #35
GQ*
Destiny's daddy!

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2008 Ninja 250r (sold)
2005 Suzuki SV650s (totaled)
2007 ZX6r (sold)

Member Garage

I didn't see anyone answer this for you GAP insurance is a cheap insurance that will cover the difference b/t what you owe and what you get from the insurance in the event of a total loss (stolen, wrecked, dropped, whatever) If you are getting a new bike you should look into it unless you plan to payoff the bike soon. Once you aren't "upside down" on the bike anymore the GAP ins is useless but it was good while it lasted had you needed it

On to the bike. Get what you will be happy with. If you likes the 650r the best then get it and be happy riding. Of you choices above they are all similar in seating (from what I recall when I was doing my seat tests @ the dealers) so it's all about what you like the best and what the insurance company will bend you over the least on The FZ6 will prolly be the least torquey of the bunch but they are all pretty similar in the grand scheme of things
Old 12-04-2008, 02:01 AM   #36
Helios
Back again again...

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
06 Silver Gixxer

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBaron View Post
I've done a lot of research on quite a few forums, so it's safe to say I know things like "don't get a supersport for your first bike" and "take an MSF course."

With all the knowledge I've accumulated combined with my preference for sportbike-type styling and more upright riding position, a couple of potential bikes really stand out to me. They are the Kawasaki Ninja 650R, the Yamaha FZ6, the Suzuki GSX 650F and the Suzuki GS 500F. Which of these bikes do you think is the best and why? Go to town. I can determine if I feel right on the saddle, so don't worry about things like that, but from your perspective, which bike is the best for what I'm trying to accomplish based on the above?

On caviat: I'm not really interested in a Suzuki SV anything and not looking to compare the Ninja 250 or Ninja 500 in this discussion.

And this won't be a problem for most of you, but please take a good, close look at the model numbers. I've posted similar questions in other forums where people replied that I shouldn't get a gixxer 600 because it's basically a track bike (when the GSX 650F is really a replacement for the old Katana) or confused the Yamaha FX6 I'm talking about with the YZF-R6 that I'm not talking about.

Sorry to be long winded, but I'm looking forward to the responses.
I haven't even read the rest of the responses but I'm willing to bet you got several, "Take MSF", " Don't get a supersport bike", "why not try an SV650", or "the Ninja 250 and 500 are great starter bikes". Am I right?

Or wait, how about, "Just go sit on them and see which one you like best".
Helios is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement