Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > New Riders and MSF Course Info
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2008, 02:09 AM   #1
NightBaron
Prospective Two-Wheeler

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
none, unfortunately

New bike recommendation

I've done a lot of research on quite a few forums, so it's safe to say I know things like "don't get a supersport for your first bike" and "take an MSF course."

With all the knowledge I've accumulated combined with my preference for sportbike-type styling and more upright riding position, a couple of potential bikes really stand out to me. They are the Kawasaki Ninja 650R, the Yamaha FZ6, the Suzuki GSX 650F and the Suzuki GS 500F. Which of these bikes do you think is the best and why? Go to town. I can determine if I feel right on the saddle, so don't worry about things like that, but from your perspective, which bike is the best for what I'm trying to accomplish based on the above?

On caviat: I'm not really interested in a Suzuki SV anything and not looking to compare the Ninja 250 or Ninja 500 in this discussion.

And this won't be a problem for most of you, but please take a good, close look at the model numbers. I've posted similar questions in other forums where people replied that I shouldn't get a gixxer 600 because it's basically a track bike (when the GSX 650F is really a replacement for the old Katana) or confused the Yamaha FX6 I'm talking about with the YZF-R6 that I'm not talking about.

Sorry to be long winded, but I'm looking forward to the responses.
NightBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bike recommendation and question racerx454 New Riders and MSF Course Info 40 06-11-2013 09:51 PM
First Bike Recommendation sunday_rider General Discussion (Moto Related) 17 12-27-2012 05:03 PM
Recommendation help Bevo Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 2 10-15-2009 05:24 AM
Recommendation Myrdok General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 06-12-2009 03:20 PM
Lawyer Recommendation? 04RSVR Off Topic 8 03-25-2008 12:10 PM
Advertisement
Old 09-08-2008, 08:27 AM   #2
Challen
MSF Lead Instructor

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2000 ZX12R
2008 250R
2012 ZX10R

You've narrowed your list down to some pretty decent starter bikes so why don't you just go sit on all of them and decide which one fits YOU the best?
Old 09-08-2008, 08:30 AM   #3
matemike
Grip it 'n' Rip it!

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR 750
2007 GSXR 600...tracked out

Member Garage

all are good, but yammie ftw
Old 09-08-2008, 08:46 AM   #4
RojerLockless
member of NO MA`AM

Feedback Rating: (10)

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
Honda CB919

Member Garage

you could almost any older 600 to the list, F2 or F3 ect. heck if you are as responsible as you sound even an F4i would be good, but out of those i'd go with the Ninja 650R that bike is a sweet starter my GF bought one brand new as her first bike and she LOVES it, it's forgiving yet still pretty fast.

or come buy my F4i

RojerLockless@Motohouston.com
BRING BACK GIXXERBILL!!!
CRBsig 2
RojerLockless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 08:47 AM   #5
Dreamer!!

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
07 Ninja 250 (Sold), 93 CBR 900RR

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Dreamer!! Send a message via MSN to Dreamer!! Send a message via Yahoo to Dreamer!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RojerLockless View Post
you could almost any older 600 to the list, F2 or F3 ect. heck if you are as responsible as you sound even an F4i would be good, but out of those i'd go with the Ninja 650R that bike is a sweet starter my GF bought one brand new as her first bike and she LOVES it, it's forgiving yet still pretty fast.

or come buy my F4i
or come buy my cbr 900
Old 09-08-2008, 10:06 AM   #6
C.Hern5972
Street Ninja Four Father

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
96 ZX7R 37k miles and still strong
2007 HD Softail
2002 Springer Classic
2007 GSXR600

Member Garage

Seriously, I would take a day and go sit on each bike. See what feels good to YOU. I was at the Kawi dealer the other day and sat on the new 650r and it was actually a cool bike and looked good too. I liked the upright position of the bike. I have seen some nice ones on here as well. Just go look and sit on each of them, you have to be comfortable. Just my .2

Chris H
"I dont follow rules to well"
C.Hern5972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 10:31 AM   #7
Hookem2255
Ninja 650 Army sgt....LOL

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2008 Ninja 650R

Member Garage

I went with the 650R, I like it alot, there are plenty of aftermarket parts so you can keep workin on it. The upright riding position was the only downside, but I fixed what with a set of aftermarket bars.

If you need a VIN checked PM me!!!
Hookem2255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 12:44 PM   #8
along77082

Bike(s):
07 ninja ZX6R

Send a message via AIM to along77082
i started with the kawi 650r, had it for about 3 months and now im getting the zx6r. i loved it. it was a great starter bike. it is kind of torchey though. and like hookem2255 the thing i didnt like was the sit up position. but i def would recommend it to a beginner ridder. the others i cant say much about since ive never been on them. gl!
along77082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:23 AM   #9
loosenoose
veteran novice

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

+1 for the sitting on each bike.
def try before you buy. also, get a used bike for your 1st bike. there is no shame in protecting an investment. you will very probably drop the 1st bike you own, you might be on it or off of it.
different bike engines have different mannerisms. i learned on an sv650, and i got to being decent pretty quickly. i'd like to also get the feel of a parallel twin and an inline 4. and maybe someday a big v twin sportbike.
but really dude. a starter bike is a starter bike. nobody will laugh at you if you dont look like [your choice of bike celebrity] when you ride in on it.
loosenoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:46 AM   #10
C.Hern5972
Street Ninja Four Father

Bike(s):
2007 HD Softail
2002 Springer Classic
2007 GSXR600

Member Garage

If you want new, not sure of your age but check into insurance rates as well. Just something to remember. If you buy a used bike it will be allot cheaper for you onthe ins. Check with our sponsor. New you might have to carry FC and that can be a bummer sometimes. If used carry liability with comp/collision/

If you do buy a new bike definately get GAAP INS.

GL

Chris H
Old 09-10-2008, 01:45 AM   #11
NightBaron
Prospective Two-Wheeler

Bike(s):
none, unfortunately

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Hern5972 View Post

If you do buy a new bike definately get GAAP INS.

GL
I'm definitely looking used for a first bike. It also sounds like frame sliders would help my fears of dropping my first bike. In reference to age, I'm 24, going on 25 soon, so hopefully my rates will be lower than an 18 year old guy.

And what's GAAP INS?
Old 09-10-2008, 02:04 AM   #12
NightBaron
Prospective Two-Wheeler

Bike(s):
none, unfortunately

I have actually taken a few Saturdays out to go sit on bikes (at least new ones, since so few places seem to sell used ones). I have to say, that over all, I like the Ninja 650 best. I enjoy the more upright seating position (having never ridden, so I guess you can take that for what it's worth), especially since I imagine taking long rides/cruises on any bike I get given the chance. I don't fancy I'll be trying to set any speed records or drag my knees through the twisties.

I'd probably use it more for sport touring and/or daily commuting if I got a bike and sold my car. If I kept my car, a more aggressive riding position might not be as much of an issue, since I'd probably be using mostly for shorter recreational riding.

I've also looked at the Yamaha FZ6, but I don't think I'm much for the half-faired look. My dream bike is a Buell Lightning, but 900 or 1200 cc's seems like way to much to start with, even if the 900 cc Lightning is a V-twin.

RojerLockless and Dreamer!!, maybe if I can get some money together, we can talk about what you would want for your bikes. Aside from that, thanks to everybody for the comments and keep 'em coming if you've got something to say.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:21 AM   #13
C.Hern5972
Street Ninja Four Father

Bike(s):
2007 HD Softail
2002 Springer Classic
2007 GSXR600

Member Garage

I know the SV 650 is a good bike as well. Did you sit on that as well? The Ninja 650 is a good bike...

Chris H
Old 09-10-2008, 07:27 AM   #14
06fairedfz1
rslts may vary

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2004 raven r1
2009 sportsman 500

my first bike was an fz6, and i loved every minute of it. if you like the ergos of the fz6 but want the fairings check out the fz6r, only down fall is that it doesn't come out until jan. 09

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
06fairedfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:16 AM   #15
C.Hern5972
Street Ninja Four Father

Bike(s):
2007 HD Softail
2002 Springer Classic
2007 GSXR600

Member Garage

Dont they make a fairing kit for it though?

Chris H
Old 09-10-2008, 02:46 PM   #16
NightBaron
Prospective Two-Wheeler

Bike(s):
none, unfortunately

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Hern5972 View Post
I know the SV 650 is a good bike as well. Did you sit on that as well? The Ninja 650 is a good bike...
I did sit on the sport version of the SV 650, the one with sportbike style lights and fairing (not the version with the round headlight). It's a great looking bike, but the riding position was too aggressive and leaned over for what I'm looking for right now. Otherwise, I've only heard good things about the bike, the seat was comfy enough and it was quite a looker.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:47 PM   #17
NightBaron
Prospective Two-Wheeler

Bike(s):
none, unfortunately

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06fairedfz1 View Post
my first bike was an fz6, and i loved every minute of it. if you like the ergos of the fz6 but want the fairings check out the fz6r, only down fall is that it doesn't come out until jan. 09
If they're coming out with a full-faired version of the FZ6, I'll have to check that out. Or, of course, if anyone's heard of fairing kits for used FZ6's.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:19 PM   #18
CLETUS
Jungle Racing

I am looking harder and harder at the GXS-650F. I notice that you can get a Givi top box for also. I like the style of the bike and the parts that were borrowed for the Gixxa: headlight, controls, instrument cluster, etc.

I drive a '06 Kawi 500 Ninja and it is a good bike. Don't really have any problems with it. The only thing is that I have gixxer also and would like to have a pair of them. One sport and the other capable of two up with the banana seat.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:55 PM   #19
Rallo
The Shogun. Sho'nuff!

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2007 Ninja 650R

I'm a little biased since I'm still riding my first bike (Ninja 650). I think it's a pretty great first bike since it is more forgiving than a supersport bike but is capable enough to stay with the pack. I also like the seat because when you sit, it feels like you're sitting in it and not on it (unlike some of the other bikes). You may not win races with supersport bikes but is still a very capable bike. There are also a few mods that you can do to make it a little more responsive as you get more accustomed to it and possibly prepare you for a supersport bike. I've been riding for a year now and am still learning. Just get something you feel good on and enjoy the ride. Good luck with your choice.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:32 PM   #20
K. Oliveira
Cypress' OG Fo Sho!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2006 R6 Raven Edition

Member Garage

To be honest with you man, I had only rode dirtbikes before most I went up to was a 125 and they were only my friends I never had my own. My first bike was and is my 03 600RR been riding for awhile now and I want to step up to a 750. Ive been on I-10 290, 610 loop, forest in magnolia and MY personal opinion is if you get a 250 or 500 or SV you would be bored of it within the first few months. This is my PERSONAL opinion though. Plus i had a buddy that went from a SV to a R6 and just couldnt do it because he was so used to the way the SV was. (ur not as hunched over and not that much weight on the wrists with the SV or GXS as opposed to the R6 GSXR CBR and so on.) But I have a blast none the less. Good luck bro, look forward to riding with ya!

Advertisement