Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2008, 08:36 PM   #1
m109runner
lighting guru

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2007 suzuki m109r ltd

Send a message via Yahoo to m109runner
oil leak???

I might be in the wrong forum, so feel free to move this thread if need be.

So I have a problem that nobody, even the Suzuki reps know how to fix.
Figured with the vast knowledge here, somebody might be able to help.

I've got an 07 m109. I've had it back to Stubbs 2 times now for oil pouring down the side of the bike. They dont seem to have a way to fix this! Apparantly it's a m109 problem that nobody knows how to fix. Not even Suzuki. Whats happening is the crank case pressure is so high at "high speeds" that it is venting into the airbox on the left side of the bike. Then it drips out of the breather box and onto the side of the bike. and of course all over the side of my leg. I was told that riding at high speeds causes the crank case to build up pressure and causes the leak. So I asked what high speeds are and was told that 70mph was considered high speeds! You mean to tell me I cant go down I10 without getting run over?

The first time I took it in they told me that the oil was just over filled. Ok so fix it. No problem. Got it back and rode around town and back and forth to work without a problem. Go on a ride to Alabama for the weekend and half way there we stop for fuel and oil is "pouring" out of the airbox and down the side of the motor. Leaving a nice little Harley signature on the ground where I was stoped.

So when I got back, I took it back in, and they had the reps from Suzuki work on it and change the oil, cleane out the air box and replace the filter. I dont think I made it home and oil was pouring out of it again!!

Took another trip this weekend, and there it is, oil pouring down the side of the bike again!!!

Props to the guys at Stubbs @ Telephone with putting up with my , I know it isnt their fault, but I'm tired of not being able to ride my bike on trips without oil pouring down the side of the bike. All they seem to do is change the oil and filter and let me have it back. I understand that I'm not the only person who has this problem, and I've been all over the M109riders.com forum trying to find a way to fix this, but all I keep hearing is that it's over filled.

Is there some place I can take it, or does anybody know how to fix this problem?

thanks in advance

lighting the world one bike at a time!!!
m109runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oil leak,what to do? Swoop General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 07-03-2012 01:46 PM
oil leak scraperbike How To's and Q & A's 4 11-16-2011 09:00 AM
Oil leak Kenwall78 How To's and Q & A's 2 01-26-2010 07:41 PM
oil leak 99BlackR1 How To's and Q & A's 12 01-01-2006 11:50 PM
Advertisement
Old 09-07-2008, 08:46 PM   #2
camaroz2866

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2008 cbr1000rr

call Motorcycles Unlimited!!! patrick and the crew will figure it out
Old 09-07-2008, 08:48 PM   #3
JDUB

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2006 GSXR-600 SOLD
2006 GSXR-1000 TrackWhore SOLD
HD 93 FLFTS Custom SOLD
HD 09 FXDC (KIA) :(
HD 2015 FLHX-S

Sean that suck bro! You figured that they would figure something out! Well hope someone here will know someone or somewhere to fix it!...But itll then, GSXR FTW?

I like my women like I like my tires...HOT and STICKY!
JDUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 08:50 PM   #4
JP171

Bike(s):
00' GSXR 750
05 636

first its supposed to "vent" to the air box, if its pushing alot of oil up there then I tend to agree its over filled, where is the oil level in your catseye? if its over 2/3 when the bike is level and not running then its too full

For those looking to give back to Texas and serve those in times of need, Join the Texas State Guard.
Locate a Recruiter http://www.gotxsg.com/join.php
JP171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 08:51 PM   #5
m109runner
lighting guru

Bike(s):
2007 suzuki m109r ltd

[QUOTE=JDUB;1424826] Sean that suck bro! You figured that they would figure something out! Well hope someone here will know someone or somewhere to fix it!...But itll then, GSXR FTW? [/SIZE]

yeah....like my big a$$ can ride that thing. I gotsta have some leg room bro

Old 09-07-2008, 08:55 PM   #6
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
the 'pressure' you are refering to, its called blow-by. I know that's not what you want to hear, nor what suzuki or even the techs for that matter, may want to deal with.

if this is the case, the rings may not be sealing as properly as they should or the vent system check valve(i dont know how its set up off hand) or drain may not be efficient enough.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:55 PM   #7
m109runner
lighting guru

Bike(s):
2007 suzuki m109r ltd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP171 View Post
first its supposed to "vent" to the air box, if its pushing alot of oil up there then I tend to agree its over filled, where is the oil level in your catseye? if its over 2/3 when the bike is level and not running then its too full
I dont think its got a catsye.......the only time the oil has been changed it was done at Stubbs and it calls for 3.6 quarts in the manual but they have already droped it down to 2.5 qts. how can it be over filled if they have already droped the amount of oil by over a qt?

and how come driving it around town and back and forth to work doesnt gimme this problem but take a trip where I'm doing highway speeds for more than an hour and BAMM!!!!! oil everywhere!

Old 09-07-2008, 08:58 PM   #8
00TLR

Bike(s):
Suzuki TL1000R

The TLRs had a similar problem, if you ran the oil level too high (especially if you do wheelies) they can dump oil in the airbox. Most people run the level lower, but some guys built an oil/air seperator, put it in the tail and ran lines from the valve covers to it to relieve the pressure. Dunno if that would be an option on the M109 or not.

A few pics and an explanation-

http://www.tlzone.net/forums/frequen...perator-2.html
00TLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 08:59 PM   #9
JDUB

Bike(s):
2006 GSXR-600 SOLD
2006 GSXR-1000 TrackWhore SOLD
HD 93 FLFTS Custom SOLD
HD 09 FXDC (KIA) :(
HD 2015 FLHX-S

yeah....like my big a$$ can ride that thing. I gotsta have some leg room bro[/QUOTE]

I like my women like I like my tires...HOT and STICKY!
JDUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 09:00 PM   #10
m109runner
lighting guru

Bike(s):
2007 suzuki m109r ltd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaligoneTx View Post
the 'pressure' you are refering to, its called blow-by. I know that's not what you want to hear, nor what suzuki or even the techs for that matter, may want to deal with.

if this is the case, the rings may not be sealing as properly as they should or the vent system check valve(i dont know how its set up off hand) or drain may not be efficient enough.
i'm not sure about any check valve

well if there was an actual problem dont you think the techs at Stubbs or even the Zuki rep would have fixed it?

I dont have the "testicular fortitude" to tear the bike apart myself to check it out. thats wy I bought an extended waranty!!

Old 09-07-2008, 09:02 PM   #11
m109runner
lighting guru

Bike(s):
2007 suzuki m109r ltd

I just figured the guys at Suzuki who got paid millions of $$$$$ would be able to figure out how to keep the oil IN the bike

Old 09-07-2008, 09:04 PM   #12
JP171

Bike(s):
00' GSXR 750
05 636

ok then try this, take the hose off when its running, see if oil is being sprayed out of it, if not then try using a wire tie to tie it up where it woun't get caught on anything and wrap a sponge over the end secure it with a rubber band and ride it, see if you keep getting oil, there is also sometimes a problem that occurs where the airflow thru the airbox causes a venturi effect and will actually pull oil up the line.

the check valve will open if the pressure in the crankcase is greater than the pressure in the airbox, but since the airbox is considered to be negativly pressurized at high speed or actually all the time it is usually open its purpose is to keep air from the airbox from going into the crankcase when the throttle is let off of and the pressure in the air box increases due to airflow and throttle position being closed

For those looking to give back to Texas and serve those in times of need, Join the Texas State Guard.
Locate a Recruiter http://www.gotxsg.com/join.php

Last edited by JP171; 09-07-2008 at 09:07 PM.
JP171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 09:12 PM   #13
FLYIN'DUC

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
07 Ducati, 99 Busa

I agree with Matt, I bought a NEW bike and was doing the same thing, went thru the whole deal, too much oil and wrong weight etc, they finally put a whole new top end in pistons, cylinders, and that fixed it, I was having to build the motor an a brand new bike, but that fixed it and no more problems since, The rings never sealed, they run full synthetic oil from brand new, and dont think that allowed the rings to seat, lean on their and they will fix it, I had to threaten/ demand a new bike and gave them 1 last shot and they really no chit fixed it then, I did call corporate and had them come down on the dealer and they built the motor in 2 days, might take a little effort but lean on them they will make it happen, good luck
FLYIN'DUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 09:14 PM   #14
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
Here lies in the problem, and I dont know the dealer nor have I worked w suzuki before but this is my experience w dealing w factory work...

This is a formitable complaint, the customer has returned. From a tech's point of view, if it isn't a quick money-making fix, it needs to get out the door, so they claim its overfilled.

When it comes to dealing w the factory w approvals for stuff like engine tear down, it is like pulling teeth. If that tech is use to doing brakes, tires, etc; stuff that pays well for easy work, he's not going to want to take the time to tear down an engine, check pressures, test or whatever hoops the factory is going to ask him to go through.

W BMW, I run into that all the time. You get paid for your work, but if you're not efficient, it will cost you time. I personally feel a job is a job and its not done UNTIL the problem is fixed. So I get alot of the stuff that returns cuz techs were too lazy to actually try to fix it. That's the honest name of the game. That's why its important to stick w a dealer that is truly commited to helping you. Sometimes others feel they have a different experience at certain places, but if they are trying to genuinely work with you, then try to exercise patience cuz its not easy on their end dealing w suzuki.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:14 PM   #15
m109runner
lighting guru

Bike(s):
2007 suzuki m109r ltd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP171 View Post
ok then try this, take the hose off when its running, see if oil is being sprayed out of it, if not then try using a wire tie to tie it up where it woun't get caught on anything and wrap a sponge over the end secure it with a rubber band and ride it, see if you keep getting oil, there is also sometimes a problem that occurs where the airflow thru the airbox causes a venturi effect and will actually pull oil up the line.

the check valve will open if the pressure in the crankcase is greater than the pressure in the airbox, but since the airbox is considered to be negativly pressurized at high speed or actually all the time it is usually open its purpose is to keep air from the airbox from going into the crankcase when the throttle is let off of and the pressure in the air box increases due to airflow and throttle position being closed
i keep gettin gtold that oil is being "pulled up" into the air box. If I change the intake to an aftermarket intake like Hyperchargers will that venturi effect increse due to more air flow?

Old 09-08-2008, 07:00 AM   #16
m109runner
lighting guru

Bike(s):
2007 suzuki m109r ltd

I totally understand the factory situation. I'm just wondering how many times I'm going to have to take it back to the dealer before it actually gets fixed??

Old 09-08-2008, 07:33 AM   #17
C.Hern5972
Street Ninja Four Father

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
96 ZX7R 37k miles and still strong
2007 HD Softail
2002 Springer Classic
2007 GSXR600

Member Garage

Sean this sucks bro. I would call the factory and bypass the dealer. Sometimes you have to because like Caligone says they get paid for quick fixes. Bypass the dealer and start contacting Suzukii reps to find out whats going on. Let them know everything and have all your paperwork in hand so you will have proof. If they want you to fax uit to them or they can contact the dealership for records. YOU HAVE TO STAY ON THEIR THOUGH OR IT WILL NOT GET DONE.......

Chris H
"I dont follow rules to well"
C.Hern5972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 08:09 AM   #18
m109runner
lighting guru

Bike(s):
2007 suzuki m109r ltd

I have also felt a loss of power......or maybe I have just got used to the bike. Its going in sometime this week, again, to figure out what the heck is going on!

Old 09-08-2008, 08:14 AM   #19
C.Hern5972
Street Ninja Four Father

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
96 ZX7R 37k miles and still strong
2007 HD Softail
2002 Springer Classic
2007 GSXR600

Member Garage

Are you sending it back to Stubbs???
If so how many times is this???
Start contacting Suzuki about the issue bro.
Stay on their until it is fixed

Chris H
"I dont follow rules to well"
C.Hern5972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 08:18 AM   #20
m109runner
lighting guru

Bike(s):
2007 suzuki m109r ltd

Yeah....its going back to Stubbs. This will be the 3rd time for this problem! You hear that??!!! Sounds like lemon law stepping in!

Advertisement