MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2008, 12:39 AM   #1
dankston
Mafia.com Motorsports
 
dankston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 197


Bike(s):
(2) 2007 Yamaha R6's, 2001 Suzuki GSXR 750, 2005 Yamaha Zuma




Member Garage





Mladin DQ upheld. Spies is 2008 Champ.

From the AMA

Mat Mladin DQ appeal from VIR Superbike races denied

Daytona Beach, Fla.--AMA Pro Racing announced today that the appeal of the disqualification of Mat Mladin on the #6 Suzuki from the Superbike races at Virginia International Raceway on August 16-17, 2008 has been deemed without merit and has been denied. The original penalty remains as previously announced and becomes final with this decision.


This just in from AMA:

BEN SPIES WINS THE 2008 AMA SUPERBIKE CHAMPIONSHIP
PRESENTED BY PARTS UNLIMITED

AMA Pro Racing offers its congratulations to Rockstar Makita Suzuki's Ben Spies on his third-straight AMA Superbike Championship.

In another hard-fought, season-long battle with teammate Mat Mladin, the 24-year-old traded wins--as well as points for pole positions and most laps lead--with the six-time champ in most of the 2008 season races.

Last Sunday, Spies captured a dramatic win in the second Superbike race at Road Atlanta. After Mladin built up what appeared to be an insurmountable lead, the reigning champ clawed his way back and was poised to strike by lap 19. Running down the back straight, Mladin looked back to see how close his rival was, only to get an eyeful of Spies' #1 plate. Both men pulled identical wheelies and wobbles as they crested the hill. Spies made the pass and took control of the contest, riding to an eventual 7.107-second margin of victory.

The victory on the 2.55-mile, 12-turn track in Braselton, Georgia was the Texan's 10th race win--and eighth pole--of the season. It was also the year in which Spies earned seven victories in a row, breaking the six-race Superbike win-streak record shared by Mladin and Honda Racing's Miguel Duhamel. In his eight-year AMA professional road race career, Spies is now a four-time national champion as well as a 45-time winner, including 28 victories in Superbike.
__________________
Christopher T. Bankston
Assistant Manager
Texas Yamaha Gulf Coast
http://mafia.com

txyama
http://texas-yamaha.com

Risk more than others think is safe.
Care more than others think is wise.
Dream more than others think is practical.
Expect more than others think is possible.

Last edited by dankston; 09-06-2008 at 12:42 AM.
dankston is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mladins DQ part 2 CarbonJames Taking it to the Track 15 08-29-2008 04:29 PM
Spies and Mladin to the line!!!! RoadracerNC Taking it to the Track 43 04-29-2008 10:08 AM
Advertisement
Old 09-06-2008, 08:20 AM   #2
FireMalt
Recovering track addict
 
FireMalt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Katy, Texas
Feedback Rating: (3)
Posts: 1,175

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+











Hate to see Spies win this way, as I'm sure he would rather win the "right" way, too.

But I'm glad to hear that Spies is still the champ, nevertheless!!!
__________________
www.TexasCustomDecals.com
FireMalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 08:42 AM   #3
Grinchy
Senior Member
 
Grinchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Seabrook
Feedback Rating: (15)
Posts: 15,535

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'prila









Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafia.com View Post
From the AMA

Mat Mladin DQ appeal from VIR Superbike races denied

Daytona Beach, Fla.--AMA Pro Racing announced today that the appeal of the disqualification of Mat Mladin on the #6 Suzuki from the Superbike races at Virginia International Raceway on August 16-17, 2008 has been deemed without merit and has been denied. The original penalty remains as previously announced and becomes final with this decision.


This just in from AMA:

BEN SPIES WINS THE 2008 AMA SUPERBIKE CHAMPIONSHIP
PRESENTED BY PARTS UNLIMITED

AMA Pro Racing offers its congratulations to Rockstar Makita Suzuki's Ben Spies on his third-straight AMA Superbike Championship.

In another hard-fought, season-long battle with teammate Mat Mladin, the 24-year-old traded wins--as well as points for pole positions and most laps lead--with the six-time champ in most of the 2008 season races.

Last Sunday, Spies captured a dramatic win in the second Superbike race at Road Atlanta. After Mladin built up what appeared to be an insurmountable lead, the reigning champ clawed his way back and was poised to strike by lap 19. Running down the back straight, Mladin looked back to see how close his rival was, only to get an eyeful of Spies' #1 plate. Both men pulled identical wheelies and wobbles as they crested the hill. Spies made the pass and took control of the contest, riding to an eventual 7.107-second margin of victory.

The victory on the 2.55-mile, 12-turn track in Braselton, Georgia was the Texan's 10th race win--and eighth pole--of the season. It was also the year in which Spies earned seven victories in a row, breaking the six-race Superbike win-streak record shared by Mladin and Honda Racing's Miguel Duhamel. In his eight-year AMA professional road race career, Spies is now a four-time national champion as well as a 45-time winner, including 28 victories in Superbike.
WOW, that is some record
Grinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 09:24 AM   #4
Buck Beasley
Older,Wiser,Faster
 
Buck Beasley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Kemah, Texas
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 2,446

Experience: 10+ years


'05 Suzuki SV 650,


'04 Vespa 150

Member Garage





Send a message via Yahoo to Buck Beasley
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireMalt View Post
Hate to see Spies win this way, as I'm sure he would rather win the "right" way, too.

But I'm glad to hear that Spies is still the champ, nevertheless!!!
Hate to see a guy win by playing by the rules and running hard???
Yeah I get your meaning, but Mladin is a cheater. PERIOD. If he was not aware of it, that is his bad too, but I doubt he was unaware. Seems pretty sad that Yosi/Mladin would need to cheat with such obvious domination on the AMA grid. If you have to cheat to beat your Champion teammate, maybe you should retire and go back to Oz. Hats off to Ben for playing it straight and not joining Mladin as a cheater. Never was a big fan of the Aussie, but this seals the deal. I loved the interview when Mladin says they can take his wins, it's his heart and his fans that matter most. News flash Mladin..........nobody loves a cheater, and the fan base will reflect that shortly. Mladin=cheating loser
__________________
CCS expert # 13
CMRA expert #413
Get off the keyboard and on your bike for a change...
Buck Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 09:39 AM   #5
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled
 
tiatool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Gunspoint
Feedback Rating: (14)
Posts: 8,682

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100





I thought I heard Mladin was sighted AGAIN at Road Atlanta for the same infraction in race 1. I'll have to rewatch race 2, but I thought the announcers were discussing it.
tiatool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 09:43 AM   #6
maxgs
Guest
 
Posts: n/a







Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Beasley View Post
Hate to see a guy win by playing by the rules and running hard???
Yeah I get your meaning, but Mladin is a cheater. PERIOD. If he was not aware of it, that is his bad too, but I doubt he was unaware. Seems pretty sad that Yosi/Mladin would need to cheat with such obvious domination on the AMA grid. If you have to cheat to beat your Champion teammate, maybe you should retire and go back to Oz. Hats off to Ben for playing it straight and not joining Mladin as a cheater. Never was a big fan of the Aussie, but this seals the deal. I loved the interview when Mladin says they can take his wins, it's his heart and his fans that matter most. News flash Mladin..........nobody loves a cheater, and the fan base will reflect that shortly. Mladin=cheating loser
I need some help understanding this. Aren't Mladin and Spies bikes both yoshi suzuki's and, therefore, the cranks would be the same in both bikes? i.e. the problem is with yoshi, right? Or did Mladin's guys put a non-yoshi supplied crankshaft in the bike?

-Curt
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 09:57 AM   #7
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled
 
tiatool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Gunspoint
Feedback Rating: (14)
Posts: 8,682

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100





Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
I need some help understanding this. Aren't Mladin and Spies bikes both yoshi suzuki's and, therefore, the cranks would be the same in both bikes? i.e. the problem is with yoshi, right? Or did Mladin's guys put a non-yoshi supplied crankshaft in the bike?

-Curt
Maybe it is because Mladin has been very vocal about the new series ownership? Or because he is trying to start an offshoot sereies.
tiatool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 02:12 PM   #8
Ronnie H.
LSTD Mafioso
 
Ronnie H.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: DFW
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 290

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
02 CRF450, 03 YZ250F, 04 CRF50, 08 Duc 1098, 10 Aprilia RSV4 Factory









Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
Aren't Mladin and Spies bikes both yoshi suzuki's
Yes.

Quote:
therefore, the cranks would be the same in both bikes?
Not necessarily. Two different crew chiefs and two different teams. They have access to the same parts and data but how they use them is up to each individual team.

Quote:
Or did Mladin's guys put a non-yoshi supplied crankshaft in the bike?
Regardless of the source for the crankshaft, it was not an OEM homologated piece of equipment. Any AMA pit mechanic can recognize an OEM piece and a non-factory piece.

Makita Rockstar Yoshimura Suzuki just got caught.
Ronnie H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 05:53 PM   #9
rc51eviltwin
Senior Member
 
rc51eviltwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: ODESSA,TX
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 843

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1











Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Beasley View Post
Hate to see a guy win by playing by the rules and running hard???
Yeah I get your meaning, but Mladin is a cheater. PERIOD. If he was not aware of it, that is his bad too, but I doubt he was unaware. Seems pretty sad that Yosi/Mladin would need to cheat with such obvious domination on the AMA grid. If you have to cheat to beat your Champion teammate, maybe you should retire and go back to Oz. Hats off to Ben for playing it straight and not joining Mladin as a cheater. Never was a big fan of the Aussie, but this seals the deal. I loved the interview when Mladin says they can take his wins, it's his heart and his fans that matter most. News flash Mladin..........nobody loves a cheater, and the fan base will reflect that shortly. Mladin=cheating loser
+1
i could not have put it any better
rc51eviltwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 07:41 PM   #10
n2racing
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 77












Rumor has it, and I did say RUMOR, that Bens crew changed his crank after the Sat. VIR race.
n2racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 09:44 AM   #11
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo
 
tomLSTD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 6,797

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1






Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by n2racing View Post
Rumor has it, and I did say RUMOR, that Bens crew changed his crank after the Sat. VIR race.
Doubtful, the bikes go straight to tech. Anyone would have noticed that they were breaking down the engine.
__________________
I am Tyler Durdin's bad attitude.
tomLSTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 10:18 AM   #12
n2racing
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 77












Tom, Rumor was Sat. night, well after post tech (where the crank was not checked) and (rumor) the work was done in the transporter.
Pax, Kevin
n2racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 10:22 AM   #13
FLYIN'DUC
Senior Member
 
FLYIN'DUC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Cleveland, Texas
Feedback Rating: (7)
Posts: 6,254


Bike(s):
07 Ducati, 99 Busa









I agree with Curt, they checked the valves on all 3 bikes and seen something that made them look further and chose 1 crank , Andof course it was the winners bike, and didnt check the others, I think Matt is a standup guy and will allways support him, I dont think he knew, not his job, he is the rider and has his hands full filling that job, Congrats to Ben, they are all awesome riders, I,m not convinced a crank would have made any difference in the way Matt rides the wheels off of that bike, Regardless it is what it is.
FLYIN'DUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 06:21 PM   #14
Buck Beasley
Older,Wiser,Faster
 
Buck Beasley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Kemah, Texas
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 2,446

Experience: 10+ years


'05 Suzuki SV 650,


'04 Vespa 150

Member Garage





Send a message via Yahoo to Buck Beasley
Actually Tommy Haden was DQ'ed for the same crank issue, maybe why he seems to be up front all of a sudden, but he was recovering from injury. Mladin knew it, don't kid yourself.
__________________
CCS expert # 13
CMRA expert #413
Get off the keyboard and on your bike for a change...

Last edited by Buck Beasley; 09-07-2008 at 06:23 PM.
Buck Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 06:40 PM   #15
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo
 
tomLSTD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 6,797

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1






Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by n2racing View Post
Tom, Rumor was Sat. night, well after post tech (where the crank was not checked) and (rumor) the work was done in the transporter.
Pax, Kevin
Yeah, I know, but it seems like a huge stretch, at least to me (despite the possibility that it happened). I think that anything like that would have been just a bit to visible given the atmosphere of post race tech inspections. It's really hard to believe that even with the incredible skills these mechanics have that they got the bike in, pulled the crank, and re-assembled the engine before anyone noticed...
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYIN'DUC View Post
I agree with Curt, they checked the valves on all 3 bikes and seen something that made them look further and chose 1 crank , Andof course it was the winners bike, and didnt check the others, I think Matt is a standup guy and will allways support him, I dont think he knew, not his job, he is the rider and has his hands full filling that job, Congrats to Ben, they are all awesome riders, I,m not convinced a crank would have made any difference in the way Matt rides the wheels off of that bike, Regardless it is what it is.
I think that because Mladin was forced to play by the rules (aka "got caught") is the reason why Spies reeled him in and beat the 7 second gap at the end of the last race last weekend!

I'm with Buck on this one, I think they (the racers) know when the mechanics/ Crew Chiefs are bending the rules.
__________________
I am Tyler Durdin's bad attitude.
tomLSTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 06:48 PM   #16
Racer997
Racer, Rider, Shooter
 
Racer997's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 500 yards away...and watching you in the crosshairs...
Feedback Rating: (6)
Posts: 3,872


Bike(s):
BMW Boxer Cup
KTM 450 SMR
Some Yamaha TTR 125Ls
Lackierwarenfabrik Mg42
Valmet M76






Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Beasley View Post
Mladin knew it, don't kid yourself.
Maybe. He certainly knows it now. I think it is fair for someone to say that perhaps Mladin wouldn't know an '05 from an '08 crank if they were sitting on a table side by side, but it's another thing completely to think that Mladin, as astute as he is, couldn't tell a mildly worked crank with metal removal and surface treatment from a bone stocker. He's smarter than that. I know the riders aren't looking over the shoulders of the engine builders, but it's pretty hard to be in the same area so often and never see it.
__________________
Supplying avatars to MH track guys since 2008.
Racer997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 07:01 PM   #17
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo
 
tomLSTD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 6,797

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1






Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer997 View Post
Maybe. He certainly knows it now. I think it is fair for someone to say that perhaps Mladin wouldn't know an '05 from an '08 crank if they were sitting on a table side by side, but it's another thing completely to think that Mladin, as astute as he is, couldn't tell a mildly worked crank with metal removal and surface treatment from a bone stocker. He's smarter than that. I know the riders aren't looking over the shoulders of the engine builders, but it's pretty hard to be in the same area so often and never see it.
...or giving the "order"/ "request" to have it done...
__________________
I am Tyler Durdin's bad attitude.
tomLSTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 08:23 PM   #18
Buck Beasley
Older,Wiser,Faster
 
Buck Beasley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Kemah, Texas
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 2,446

Experience: 10+ years


'05 Suzuki SV 650,


'04 Vespa 150

Member Garage





Send a message via Yahoo to Buck Beasley
Holy ........sticky this post, Tom and I agree on something. Mladin had to know, as Linz said, a rider of that caliber is going to notice the differrence in the motor with a hot crank. Mladin has Big Fish syndrome if you ask me. That kind of talent and no desire to go any further than AMA? I truly believe the big boys would hand him his in WSBK or GP.
I will give him/Yoshi big respect for the way they have dominated AMA superbike, six titles is nothing to sneeze at, but where is the challenge now? When you are lapping up to fourth place, there is not much competition there. It would be comparable to Ty Howard not moving out of CMRA novice ranks. He's making money for sure, but where is the racer's heart?
__________________
CCS expert # 13
CMRA expert #413
Get off the keyboard and on your bike for a change...
Buck Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 08:45 PM   #19
Mr. Unassailable
1-20-2013-Change we need
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Feedback Rating: (6)
Posts: 19,792

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+






Member Garage





wow.

.....


where can i get said cheater crank? i need one in the f4i to get me up to speed.

__________________
Retired
tracksig
Mr. Unassailable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 08:48 PM   #20
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo
 
tomLSTD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 6,797

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1






Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Unassailable View Post
wow.

.....


where can i get said cheater crank? i need one in the f4i to get me up to speed.

It's easy to get help for the F4i to get some more hp. Go to Stubbs and ask for part "gee ess ex are six hundred". That will get you the speed you need!
__________________
I am Tyler Durdin's bad attitude.
tomLSTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:31 PM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy