MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2008, 01:27 PM   #1
07SLVRCBR
October '08 BOTM

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2007 CBR1000RR

More warmer ?????'s

With all the tire warmer talk, I've began some looking around. I've come across Sumo-moto warmers, and seen some good reviews. What's the consensus here about them? Any good/bad?

Thanks guys/gals.

See ya @ the track!
07SLVRCBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How much does 1 tire warmer pull?? Hooligan Taking it to the Track 34 03-24-2009 05:12 PM
chest and face warmer pester Gear Talk 5 10-30-2008 03:28 PM
Tire Warmer Advice gunshotwound Taking it to the Track 23 02-15-2008 12:19 PM
Anyone riding now? its a bit warmer NoFear Events, Meets and Rides 25 12-29-2007 07:01 PM
Tire Warmer Sale At M/U!! Patrick Taking it to the Track 0 09-06-2005 03:31 PM
Advertisement
Old 09-04-2008, 01:31 PM   #2
jodyhudson

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years

Send a message via Yahoo to jodyhudson
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07SLVRCBR View Post
With all the tire warmer talk, I've began some looking around. I've come across Sumo-moto warmers, and seen some good reviews. What's the consensus here about them? Any good/bad?

Thanks guys/gals.
havent heard of them, but i have had 4 chicken hawks burn up on me. one of them shorted out and burned a hole right thru my front tire. i didnt even notice it until i was pulling them off to go start the endurance race that day. !!!
jodyhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 02:03 PM   #3
bdubb

Feedback Rating: (10)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
1961 Mustang Thoroughbred
'06 CBR1000RR (SOLD)

Member Garage

Never heard of them either.

What are you using Jody?

07 - I tried out a set of Chicken Hawk triple temps from John on a rental basis and decided to buy a set of single temps a few weeks after that for a marked down price due to my rental. From what I have understood is that the Chicken Hawk single temps sound to be more durable overall and operate at 175 F, or the High setting on the triple temps.

Any plans what what type of tires you will run with them? Race/Street, or full DOT race?
bdubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 03:05 PM   #4
07SLVRCBR
October '08 BOTM

Bike(s):
2007 CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdubb View Post
Never heard of them either.

What are you using Jody?

07 - I tried out a set of Chicken Hawk triple temps from John on a rental basis and decided to buy a set of single temps a few weeks after that for a marked down price due to my rental. From what I have understood is that the Chicken Hawk single temps sound to be more durable overall and operate at 175 F, or the High setting on the triple temps.

Any plans what what type of tires you will run with them? Race/Street, or full DOT race?
Nice of him to include his recommendation, huh? lol

Haven't decided yet. Thinking about getting another set of Corsa3 for the remainder of this year and beginning of next. Getting into race tires gets confusing. I'm starting my research now, though.

See ya @ the track!
Old 09-04-2008, 03:22 PM   #5
jodyhudson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07SLVRCBR View Post
Nice of him to include his recommendation, huh? lol

Haven't decided yet. Thinking about getting another set of Corsa3 for the remainder of this year and beginning of next. Getting into race tires gets confusing. I'm starting my research now, though.
i still use Chicken Hawks because thats what i was given. the original SUZUKAs were good before Chicken Hawk bought them out. so far i have come to the conclusion that they all have the same issues with repeated use. they burn up or short out. so pick whichever ones fit ur needs i guess.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:48 PM   #6
ange062

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
'07 ZX-6R race bike
'05 SV650 Street
CMRA Expert #826, #63 Team Supafly Mini-Endurance, #26 IDB Racing BB Endurance

Send a message via AIM to ange062
I use PowerStands right now, they are ~$300 for a digitally monitored and fully adjustable set in various colors. Pretty sweet deal and havent had any issues yet.
ange062 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 03:57 PM   #7
07SLVRCBR
October '08 BOTM

Bike(s):
2007 CBR1000RR

Very well then, Jody. Thank you.

Thanks for your input also, Ange062.

See ya @ the track!
Old 09-04-2008, 04:41 PM   #8
HoustonGixxer

Feedback Rating: (17)

Experience: 8 years

Member Garage

a guy in the pits Sunday had some sumo tirewarmers and they didn't even work
HoustonGixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 04:54 PM   #9
THE DEAN OF LEAN
CMRA/WERA #171 AMA#771

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
GSXR 600 Race Bike

Member Garage

JOHN H gave me the sweetest deal ever on some dual temp suzuka tire warmers, they worked to perfection, i have limited exp with them but prolly like ne thing u take care of them n they will take care fo you!
Old 09-04-2008, 07:19 PM   #10
Turnerscasa
Box it, or bin it!

Bike(s):
2008 CBR1000RR
2007 GSXR750

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonGixxer View Post
a guy in the pits Sunday had some sumo tirewarmers and they didn't even work
He have a Gixxer?

The set I saw a couple of weeks ago were only displaying tire temps in Celsius. The guy that had them was asking me if I knew the conversion. He said his user manual was less than helpful, and mostly not in English.
Turnerscasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 07:23 PM   #11
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Member Garage

The guy was on a Burgandy & black R1, he bought a set of chickenhawks from me after fighting with his non-working Sumomoto's.
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 07:26 PM   #12
MANSON6

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2005 636

That was my buddy Chad that bought those from you, The Sumomoto's were brand new also. They are complete 2 of my buddies bought them and neither set worked. i bought a set of DMP warmers and they were relatively cheap like $275 and they wrok great. He had a set of chicken hawks prior to those and sold them to another friend to buy the sumomoto's.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:27 PM   #13
HoustonGixxer

Feedback Rating: (17)

Experience: 8 years

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawi jm View Post
The guy was on a Burgandy & black R1, he bought a set of chickenhawks from me after fighting with his non-working Sumomoto's.
Yep that was him.

I know that he was much happier once he got the new chickenhawks on.
HoustonGixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 07:38 PM   #14
SCRC John

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANSON6 View Post
That was my buddy Chad that bought those from you, The Sumomoto's were brand new also. They are complete 2 of my buddies bought them and neither set worked. i bought a set of DMP warmers and they were relatively cheap like $275 and they wrok great. He had a set of chicken hawks prior to those and sold them to another friend to buy the sumomoto's.
I pitted with those guys Monday, really nice guys. Both of them were on R1's There was a guy on a blue R6 with them, but I didn't talk to him much.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:37 AM   #15
07SLVRCBR
October '08 BOTM

Bike(s):
2007 CBR1000RR

Good info guys, thanks.

See ya @ the track!
Old 09-05-2008, 11:56 AM   #16
MANSON6

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2005 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawi jm View Post
I pitted with those guys Monday, really nice guys. Both of them were on R1's There was a guy on a blue R6 with them, but I didn't talk to him much.
Yep those guys are from San antonio, The guy on the blue R6 was doing his first ever track day. he was so impressed with it that he is basically hooked and selling everything he can to go again. he heard all the hype about us going all the time and now he is happy he finally went. he wrecked on the street a few weeks ago and just got his bike back together for this weekend. although I am basically done for the season, Low on cash and fixin to start the overnight shifts at work, Or I would have been there also. All the guys from SA are cool as , We normally have about 10-12 bikes there. The one guy Rick on the R1 with the Texas flag setup was running a 1:55 and his left arm is completely paralyzed. He is a crazy , He is on this board as 1HANDER, He also runs CMRA.

Last edited by MANSON6; 09-05-2008 at 11:58 AM.
MANSON6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 12:21 PM   #17
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

I've been very happy with the Suzuka's. I don't think (or know) if they've changed since Chickenhawk bought them, but all of my friends who use Chickenhawks (including my endurance team) haven't had any problems- Jody is the first I've heard of them having issues.

I don't discount what Jody is saying, I've just never heard of them- don't mean it ain't happenin' though!
Old 09-05-2008, 01:16 PM   #18
SCRC John

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANSON6 View Post
Yep those guys are from San antonio, The guy on the blue R6 was doing his first ever track day. he was so impressed with it that he is basically hooked and selling everything he can to go again. he heard all the hype about us going all the time and now he is happy he finally went. he wrecked on the street a few weeks ago and just got his bike back together for this weekend. although I am basically done for the season, Low on cash and fixin to start the overnight shifts at work, Or I would have been there also. All the guys from SA are cool as , We normally have about 10-12 bikes there. The one guy Rick on the R1 with the Texas flag setup was running a 1:55 and his left arm is completely paralyzed. He is a crazy , He is on this board as 1HANDER, He also runs CMRA.
Yea, me and Rick got hooked up in the morning. It was good riding with him. He would leave me in the straights, but by 2-3 corners I was caught back up. For only having one good limb, he is very talented. Really clean lines and good fun to ride with.

John
Old 09-05-2008, 03:35 PM   #19
jodyhudson

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
I've been very happy with the Suzuka's. I don't think (or know) if they've changed since Chickenhawk bought them, but all of my friends who use Chickenhawks (including my endurance team) haven't had any problems- Jody is the first I've heard of them having issues.

I don't discount what Jody is saying, I've just never heard of them- don't mean it ain't happenin' though!
jeff had it happen. the NW Honda crew has it happen. maybe its just happening to the fast guys
Old 09-05-2008, 05:09 PM   #20
07SLVRCBR
October '08 BOTM

Bike(s):
2007 CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodyhudson View Post
jeff had it happen. the NW Honda crew has it happen. maybe its just happening to the fast guys
lol

cool, then it shouldn't happen to me

See ya @ the track!

Advertisement