MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2008, 12:38 PM   #1
gixxerman
Track Junkie Racing

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR1000
2002 GSXR1000
95 CBR900RR
89 ZX7R
YAMAHA RADIAN 600

Question ignition module and quickshifter install

Ok maybe someone can help me out with this.
I've installed my shift rod (push type) and ignition module according to the instructions provided to my existing PCIII usb that was dyno tuned already last year. The PCIII USB was first updated with the latest firmware update and verified and I even setup my RPM kill and the kill time which is at 5000rpm and 60ms. Now during the install of the shift rod kit I rotated my shifter on the spline 3 teeth so I wouldn't have to cut down the shift rod C I used with my Sato Rearsets. Not sure if that makes a difference, but the bike does shift fine without any ignition module hooked up. As for the rest of the install it's by the instructions. I did make sure I updated the PCIII USB before hooking up anything though.
So now I'm on to the problem. I start up the bike it runs fine and the green light is on the ignition module. I ride it around the block and all seems fine so far and it shift under medium load at 5000 rpm. I then take it out on the freeway and open it up. First I notice it doesn't want to shift up threw the gears under hard excell without using the clutch. Then shortly after cruising for ľ mile the bike stalls and the FI light comes on. I turn the bike off and coast to a stop. I give it a little bit maybe 2 min and the bike starts up fine and runs fine. I start making my way home and the bike stalls again with FI light. I repeat this process until I get home. I donít now the code it was throwing though, the bike idels fine and revs up fine just throws the FI code after riding it a little ways. So I uninstalled the ignition module and road the bike around and have no problems.
So I know itís some thing to do with the ignition module or maybe the shifter kit. Any suggestions on whatís going on? I did email power commander about it and tried calling but couldnít get through. Maybe someone has some experience with it.
Thanks in advance.
gixxerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dynojet autotune module B.T.R. General Discussion (Moto Related) 3 09-19-2012 10:15 PM
Quickshifter RoadracerNC Taking it to the Track 32 04-11-2009 11:43 PM
PC3 and Ignition Module Install THE DEAN OF LEAN General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 12-04-2008 02:20 PM
PK Power quickshifter bluewave18 General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 10-30-2008 10:45 PM
quick shifter/ignition module question gixxerman Taking it to the Track 13 08-27-2008 02:30 PM
Advertisement
Old 09-02-2008, 01:20 PM   #2
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Feedback Rating: (5)

Member Garage

Call Motorcycles Unlimited, Patrick has had extensive experience with the Dynojet products.

(281) 444-0545
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 01:55 PM   #3
gixxerman
Track Junkie Racing

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR1000
2002 GSXR1000
95 CBR900RR
89 ZX7R
YAMAHA RADIAN 600

Yeah I called them and talked to Shawn. They'll have to look at it to try duplicate the problem, which I kind of figured.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:41 PM   #4
maxgs

Member Garage

Motorcycles Unlimited installed my Dynojet quickshifter. it works like a champ!
Old 09-02-2008, 08:43 PM   #5
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
sv650,rc51,gsxr750,6oo,sdg107

Send a message via AIM to Romeo36
bazzaz ftw
Romeo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 08:44 PM   #6
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
Sounds like the ignition module is faulting the system. Is it a straight piggy-back system on that bike(does it connect inline with connectors or does it have to be spliced into the harness?)
Old 09-02-2008, 08:48 PM   #7
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
BTW, talking with powercommander, dont talk about the mods you did for the rear set. they will be quick to blame that first.

If the ignition module is not sending the signal for command spark, the ECU will likely see the rpm studder as a misfire and cut power to prevent damage i.e. stalling down to minimal power w FI light on.

If I recall the ignition module is for spark reduction during quickshift operation, right?
Old 09-03-2008, 07:54 AM   #8
gixxerman
Track Junkie Racing

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR1000
2002 GSXR1000
95 CBR900RR
89 ZX7R
YAMAHA RADIAN 600

yeah it's a piggy back system. It hooks to the coils and the stock coil wires plug into the 2nd ignition coil wires piggy backing off of it. You can't hook it up wrong for sure unless the directions are wrong. I even tried fliping the quickshifter around last night the way the stock rearsets would use it and still no worky. i don't think the orentation of the shift kit would matter but tried it anyway. So after the FI light came on again I unplug the shifter since the bike should run fine with just the ignition coil hooked up. It still stalls and FI light comes on. So it's not the shifter kit for sure. The ignition coil is lite up green to and the bike starts up fine. It's just when you start riding it down the street it stalls out. It's like you said "If the ignition module is not sending the signal for command spark, the ECU will likely see the rpm studder as a misfire and cut power to prevent damage i.e. stalling down to minimal power w FI light on"
I think that is what I'm seeing. When I unplug the igntion coil and hook it back up like stock the bike works perfect. I even went down the road slamed gears several time to about 150 or so and all is well. Hook it up agian and it's . It's definatly the ignition coil. I just wonder if the directions from dyno jet are wrong. They say to run the wires up the right side of the bike and show in the pick that the ground wire is right beside the negative cable of the bike, but read some where on another forum that the directions were backwards for a different brand bike. Anyway not sure. I think I'll take it to Motorcycles Unlimited or Tejas to hook it up. I totally installed everything back to normal. If they see the problem then they can get it sent back under warrenty since they are an authorized dynojet dealer and have more pull then I would getting it replaced.
Thanks for the help.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:13 AM   #9
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Hitting up a good shop at this point will be to your benefit I think. Motorcycles Unlimited should be able to hook you up on this, so that's a good call on your part

Advertisement