Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2008, 03:40 AM   #1
gsxrjai
Sink or swim

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
'03 GSXR 600 Sold
??? Not Sure ???

Thoracentesis to remove 1200cc of Plural Fluid at Harborview

Idon't know what I was searching for but this clip caught my eye I opened it and wow. This is the guys story below you can find it in the more info part on the right side of the page.

This is me getting a Thoracentesis at Harborview Medical Center in downtown Seattle. They removed 1200cc of Plural Fluid from my lung cavity. The fluid was around my left lung causing it to collapse.

Procedure = Thoracentesis
Fluid = Plural Fluid / Plural Effusion
Volume = 1200cc

On Tuesday August 28th 2007 I was in a motorcycle accident. I was struck by a car turning right from my left. Due to the angle of the car I was hit directly by the front corner of the car. The force of my body broke both the passenger side window and windshield. I then rolled over the hood of the car, and landed 60ft away on the ground, and from pure adrenalin stood up. My 2000 Yamaha R1 was thrown 110ft.

I wasn't on my feet for long. While I was laying there on the ground waiting for the ambulance to arrive I honestly thought I was going to die before it got there. They sky started spinning, with an almost euphoric feeling. Only able to take small sips of air I could feel something in my stomach bleeding and my abdomen getting stiff filling with blood.

After spending 9 days at Harborview hospital, 2 days in the ICU and 7 in the trauma surgery unit, I'll be recovering at home for a couple of months at least. For the next 2-3 months all I can physically do is walk and sit. I can ride in a car so long as it is smooth and care is taken to avoid any jolting or bumping movements.

My spleen was shattered; it is now dying in my body. They chose not to remove it because it clotted up and the internal bleeding was minimized. A few years ago this would have meant an emergency spleenectomy; however, now the thinking is less surgery the better. My spleen will slowly die while my body absorbs it. My left kidney was also lacerated; luckily it will heal on its own.

From the force of the accident and the blunt trauma to my left side, fluid built up between my ribs and lung. The pressure from this caused my left lung to collapse. Before allowing me to leave the hospital my doctor insisted on draining my chest cavity. A tube was inserted in my back and over 1 liter, or 40 oz, of emissary fluid was removed from surrounding over 50% of my lung.

My left forearm has a large cut on it resulting from the impact of my body on the windshield of the car. An approximately two inch part of the windshield was shoved up inside my jacket sleeve and lodged between the skin and bone of my forearm. The nurses stuck two fingers and a thumb inside my arm to dig out pieces of the glass.

I tore and splintered a ton of muscles, ligaments, and tendons throughout my torso, including my shoulders, neck, chest, abdomen, and waist.

I have some moderate to severe road rash on my left shin and knee and on my right knee. Luckily it wasn't severe enough to require skin graphs.

Unbelievably I didn't break any bones or receive a head injury.

I'm now staying at my aunt's house in Redmond while I recover. I'm not sure how long I will be here.

Two days after I was released from Harborview I went in to Evergreen hospital in Redmond where they tapped my chest cavity and removed 550cc of fluid from around my left lung.

gsxrjai is offline   Reply With Quote