MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2008, 08:54 PM   #1
bdubb

Feedback Rating: (10)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
1961 Mustang Thoroughbred
'06 CBR1000RR (SOLD)

Member Garage

First time out at TWS (Texas World Speedway)

Just want to say thanks again to everyone who helped me out at TWS (Texas World Speedway) on Sunday and that my weekend was outstanding in regards to riding.

Started off Saturday to get a complete day under my belt again at MSRH and the LMS crew offered up some good help and got me feeling confident again by the end of the day. Not to mention trying out the BT-003's for the first time. Alonzo and the others gave great comments as always and did a good job of getting me back out there again. I will continue to look forward to riding MSRH with them each chance that I get and hopefully improving in all parts of the track.

Then as Sunday came around and the soreness was setting in from Saturday I wasn't sure what to expect from riding a new track and my first time to do back-to-back days. I was shocked after the first session as I was feeling better and a bit more loose than the day before. A good reminder that I need to start stretching each day some as I feel it can make a nice improvement in my body positioning.

Starting out the morning learning the bike lines around TWS (Texas World Speedway) with Landon from TTD and opening up the bike a bit on the front straight was good. Then as the day went on I began to gain more help from Tony, Irish, and John and I gained a huge amount of confidence in the new tires. Now to be honest I still don't feel I am good enough to be in "need" of the 003's as I am having trouble building heat in the tires, but regardless they still felt very planted and I began getting into the throttle earlier in the corners more than I ever have before. I'd like to think it is only a matter of a another couple of clean trackdays before my ability begins to improve enough to really start to put them to good use.

By the end of the day the tires still looked great, I had a few sessions with riders I knew going back and forth, and gained another track that I really enjoyed riding. From the first session to last I had a 13-1/2 second increase in times and felt better on the bike than I have in a long while. I can't wait to improve on my part and start to really get into the tires and area tracks even more.

Thanks again to everyone that helped make my weekend at both MSRH (LMS) and TWS (Texas World Speedway) (TTD).

Last edited by bdubb; 09-01-2008 at 08:56 PM.
bdubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Practice Time for the TWS (Texas World Speedway) Races! Rykoson Taking it to the Track 5 03-07-2013 09:55 PM
What time is a good lap time at TWS (Texas World Speedway) eltejano General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 06-28-2009 12:35 PM
My first time at TWS (Texas World Speedway)... Solracer General Discussion (Moto Related) 28 06-27-2007 10:31 AM
Advertisement
Old 09-01-2008, 08:58 PM   #2
Squoddybody
This is me.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

It was great to see you out there! Glad to hear you were feeling it.

follow me on IG - squoddybody
Squoddybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 09:04 PM   #3
bdubb

Bike(s):
'06 CBR1000RR (SOLD)

Member Garage

Feeling it you say....?

Did I forget something about Sunday? ha

Good to see you and your daughter out there as well. Wish we had a chance to talk more before you left.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:08 PM   #4
07SLVRCBR
October '08 BOTM

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2007 CBR1000RR

Sounds like Sunday went well too, Brad. That's good to hear.

Can't wait until next time, bro.

See ya @ the track!
07SLVRCBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 07:59 AM   #5
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Nice to meet ya Brad

Hope to see you at some more events in the future....your P's were cool as well. Looked liked your dad was really enjoying his time watching you ride.
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 02:53 PM   #6
Costas

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
'04 ZX-10R
'07 ZX-6R (track)
'04 ZX-6R (sold)
'05 Ninja 500 (sold)

Send a message via AIM to Costas
it was my first time out there on monday, a lot more different compared to msrh. you gotta go waaaaaaaay way faster which was pretty fun lol, gonna go again on the 27th. unfortunately i spent all the sessions except the last 2 going pretty slow and just trying to learn the track, but i suppose it's better than trying to set your lap record without first learning it like some people seemed like they were trying to do =X
Costas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 02:57 PM   #7
bdubb

Bike(s):
'06 CBR1000RR (SOLD)

Member Garage

I wasn't going for any lap records by any means, but I like to use my timer as a go-by for each session. Change up things a little each session and compare how it felt to the times I ran. Trying to find what feels good and appears to be working for me in terms of entry points, braking, getting back into the throttle etc.

The times are only a reference for me and I enjoy when I can see and feel the improvements and put it all together to try and build and learn from even more.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:02 PM   #8
Costas

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
'04 ZX-10R
'07 ZX-6R (track)
'04 ZX-6R (sold)
'05 Ninja 500 (sold)

Send a message via AIM to Costas
wrd, comment wasn't directed at you by any means, just something i noticed from some riders.

i think the hardest part for me was turn one, going 150 and then having to dump it into the turn. when are you supposed to brake and downshift? is it while heading towards turn one? i tried braking while still on the straight but once i got to the turn i was going way too slow. at the same time i'm not comfortable downshifting while midway through a turn either. what were you doing out there? and was the tracking CCW on sunday also?
Costas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 03:21 PM   #9
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costas View Post
wrd, comment wasn't directed at you by any means, just something i noticed from some riders.

i think the hardest part for me was turn one, going 150 and then having to dump it into the turn. when are you supposed to brake and downshift? is it while heading towards turn one? i tried braking while still on the straight but once i got to the turn i was going way too slow. at the same time i'm not comfortable downshifting while midway through a turn either. what were you doing out there? and was the tracking CCW on sunday also?
TWS (Texas World Speedway) only runs CCW.

and as far as turn 1 goes......all gas til you hit the bottom of the transition in turn 1.....it'll make ur pucker up the first time, then it will all become natural. dont go out and try it right away though....work your way up to it. i usually grab about 3 gears between turn 1 & 2. if you take the right line, you can downshift while the bike is almost straight up and down.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 03:35 PM   #10
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofpain View Post
TWS (Texas World Speedway) only runs CCW.

and as far as turn 1 goes......all gas til you hit the bottom of the transition in turn 1.....it'll make ur pucker up the first time, then it will all become natural. dont go out and try it right away though....work your way up to it. i usually grab about 3 gears between turn 1 & 2. if you take the right line, you can downshift while the bike is almost straight up and down.
i REALLY need help in T1....I see about 155 indcated on the front straight, but I seem to downshift WAY early into T1....I know I shouldn't be glancing down at my speedo, but I'd say my T1 one entry speed is near 130 but my lines are never consistent....I saw some very funky lines through there, however, I tried several and none seemed to be working. I think running over those snakes in the middle of T2 is what has my lines all screwed up. I'm gonna ask for some help from some of you experienced racers next go round.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:42 PM   #11
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
no problem, i caught up with a few times in the morning....but was working with some others that kept getting caught up in the train tracks....come out to the next ttd TWS (Texas World Speedway) day and we'll tear up some tires together.

and yes, all those sealer snakes screwed with me all day sunday too. that was my first time at TWS (Texas World Speedway) since march i think......can't believe i've only done TWS (Texas World Speedway) 2 times this year

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 03:48 PM   #12
bdubb

Bike(s):
'06 CBR1000RR (SOLD)

Member Garage

I am by far less experienced than many people on here, but for what it's worth I'll give my 2 cents.

A few times getting all the way into it on the front straight I was coming in at the top of 6th for my bike and gearing and letting off the gas as I came up on the "3" posted on the outside wall while taking the high line. At the "1" I would turn in and head towards the yellow line that marked the pit out road. Cutting inside of this line during the braking and shifting.

Once past the transition I'd drop 2 gears and brake hard then begin to look for 3 poles that are on the horizon. As I lined up with them I wanted to be out and on, or alongside, the same yellow line I mentioned before. Once touching the line and hitting my visual reference of the poles I began to turn in for turn 2 and would typically cross over right at the end of some of the last few inside tar snakes as I came into the curbing and began to exit.

I felt most times that I can go much faster through that portion at turn 2. Then also when coming in too hot for turn 1 you still have a lot of room to get in some extra braking and start to tighten up your line into turn 2.

I never felt any issues from the tar snakes though and crossed over them on a regular basis throughout the day.

Last edited by bdubb; 09-02-2008 at 03:50 PM.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:49 PM   #13
Rick H.I.C.
Got Surf? Snow? Track?

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
03' 600RR, 05' CR125, 88'NSR 250

Quote:
no problem, i caught up with a few times in the morning....but was working with some others that kept getting caught up in the train tracks....come out to the next ttd TWS (Texas World Speedway) day and we'll tear up some tires together.

and yes, all those sealer snakes screwed with me all day sunday too. that was my first time at TWS (Texas World Speedway) since march i think......can't believe i've only done TWS (Texas World Speedway) 2 times this year
I was fixin to ask about the snakies.
Tricky holding a tight line in there.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:50 PM   #14
Somebody1010
CCS EX #62

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
04 Suzuki 600 (Track only) 04 Kawi KX 250

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Somebody1010 Send a message via Yahoo to Somebody1010
Quote:

Tony, the sealer is good now compared to the CCS race right after it was put down. The CCS race was a little sketchy on the sealer. It seems pretty cured now though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck View Post
i REALLY need help in T1....I see about 155 indcated on the front straight, but I seem to downshift WAY early into T1....I know I shouldn't be glancing down at my speedo, but I'd say my T1 one entry speed is near 130 but my lines are never consistent....I saw some very funky lines through there, however, I tried several and none seemed to be working. I think running over those snakes in the middle of T2 is what has my lines all screwed up. I'm gonna ask for some help from some of you experienced racers next go round.
Sorry i could not find you in the afternoon to help you out through 1/2. The sealer is fine now so you can still fly over it with no problem. There is many lines through there but the line i like is to dive it in late and hug the grass then run it out to the middle to set up turn 2. I think the few times I looked at my speedo at the bottom of the hill it was in the mid to high 160's. I stay on the throttle until i hit the bottom of the hill, then grab 2 gears down and let the motor do most of the braking. Next time we are at TWS (Texas World Speedway) ill make it a point to show you some line out there.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:54 PM   #15
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdubb View Post
I never felt any issues from the tar snakes though and crossed over them on a regular basis throughout the day.
I'm sure they are fine, but it was a mental thing yesterday for me....after a high side and all, the last thing I wanted was my bars hitting the ground yesterday.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:55 PM   #16
bdubb

Bike(s):
'06 CBR1000RR (SOLD)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody1010 View Post
I think the few times I looked at my speedo at the bottom of the hill it was in the mid to high 160's. I stay on the throttle until i hit the bottom of the hill, then grab 2 gears down and let the motor do most of the braking. Next time we are at TWS (Texas World Speedway) ill make it a point to show you some line out there.
I have to admit, my aren't that big yet! I may try extending it out some next time as I always felt I could do better in turn 2.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:56 PM   #17
bdubb

Bike(s):
'06 CBR1000RR (SOLD)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck View Post
I'm sure they are fine, but it was a mental thing yesterday for me....after a high side and all, the last thing I wanted was my bars hitting the ground yesterday.
Understandable, I was the same way at MSRH on Saturday. I just wanted to be able to finish out the day without a moment.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:01 PM   #18
Somebody1010
CCS EX #62

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
04 Suzuki 600 (Track only) 04 Kawi KX 250

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Somebody1010 Send a message via Yahoo to Somebody1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdubb View Post
I have to admit, my aren't that big yet! I may try extending it out some next time as I always felt I could do better in turn 2.
Key to getting to that point is

1.) dont constanty worry about crashing there, the track is almost 90 feet wide so theres plenty room.

2.) each lap or session make it a point to stay on the throttle just a hair longer and go just a little bit deeper (doh that sounds bad)
Old 09-02-2008, 04:05 PM   #19
bdubb

Bike(s):
'06 CBR1000RR (SOLD)

Member Garage

My only scare there was nailing the brakes to not run up into Irish after getting into traffic there and riders pitting out. For one of my first few sessions there I wasn't looking to be halfway or so into the front brakes across the transition, but it felt stable at least.

I'll build up slowly next time out there as I really enjoyed the track and felt like I knew a couple areas where I could easily improve on before getting into areas I may not be ready for yet.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:16 PM   #20
hfa3g11
OG

Feedback Rating: (4)

2005 Honda CBR600RR Tribal Edition *retired*

Send a message via AIM to hfa3g11
bdubb you were out at TWS (Texas World Speedway) on sept 1st?
hfa3g11 is offline   Reply With Quote