Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2008, 03:33 PM   #1
Elistan

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
07 CBR600RR

Need quick answer on DC3 vs 2CT please?

I'm going to be at TWS (Texas World Speedway) on Monday, and ordered a new set of Pirelli Diablo Corsa 3 tires. The shop just called me and said there was a mess-up with the order and the tires won't be in on time, so offered me a set of Michelin Pilot Power 2 CT for a special price.

Should I go for it?

I originally decided on the DC3s because they seemed to get more praise that the 2CTs, but for a reduced price are the 2CTs "good enough" for a lvl 3 rider?
Elistan is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
just answer the question!!! obed Off Topic 57 05-31-2013 10:10 AM
I NEED A ANSWER????????????????? GFORCE General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 09-02-2009 05:45 AM
Answer this? XRCajun General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 07-12-2008 08:17 PM
ANSWER THIS QUESTION..... Homebrew Off Topic 29 01-18-2008 12:48 PM
QUICK QUICK who recognises this skyline? Ramius Off Topic 25 02-07-2006 01:09 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-29-2008, 03:55 PM   #2
sixerSLYGUY
ChuckR1's

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
06' R6 track
79' SR500

yes, do it

how "special" of a price?
sixerSLYGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 03:59 PM   #3
Elistan

Bike(s):
07 CBR600RR

Uhh, $350 incl mount and balance...
Old 08-29-2008, 04:03 PM   #4
sixerSLYGUY
ChuckR1's

Bike(s):
06' R6 track
79' SR500

to me thats not very special... the 2ct's i have now (which i think work great at the track) i think i paid about the same full price.. no deals or nothin
Old 08-29-2008, 04:05 PM   #5
Somebody1010
CCS EX #62

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
04 Suzuki 600 (Track only) 04 Kawi KX 250

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Somebody1010 Send a message via Yahoo to Somebody1010
Still seems pricy but i dont know how much michelins go for. IMO take offs would work just fine. I ride TD's with takeoffs as much as i can.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:07 PM   #6
sixerSLYGUY
ChuckR1's

Bike(s):
06' R6 track
79' SR500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody1010 View Post
Still seems pricy but i dont know how much michelins go for. IMO take offs would work just fine. I ride TD's with takeoffs as much as i can.
what does a set of 3's go for?
Old 08-29-2008, 04:10 PM   #7
Elistan

Bike(s):
07 CBR600RR

How much does Greg Fowler charge for Michelin's? (He's the guy at Ride Smart events, right?)

Motorcycle Superstore has the 2CTs for $133 front and $157 rear -at those prices the mount/balance at this shop would be $60 total. Is that reasonable? Not deal of the century, but at least not a ripoff? Especially considering I need tires for an event three days from now.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:10 PM   #8
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

they'll do the job, i wouldn't worry about it at all.
CarbonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 04:24 PM   #9
Elistan

Bike(s):
07 CBR600RR

Yeah, mostly I was wondering - should I hold out for the Pirelli's and do this one event on the remnants of my current tires? Or are the Michelin's good enough (or even better) to go ahead and get them?
Old 08-29-2008, 04:24 PM   #10
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

I'd go with take off's from Fowler for 1/2 the price. 2CT's aren't that great once the pace heats up. They tend to get greasy quickly
FastLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 04:34 PM   #11
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Member Garage

Depends on your pace and experience. You should be fine if you're a regular track day doood and not racing. If you're out-riding those tires, it's not going to matter which street compound tire you do ride!

2CT is a fine tire, but I'd check with Motorcycles Unlimited to see what he has over there first.

OR, you could get some tasty track rubber from John at SCRC
Old 08-29-2008, 05:42 PM   #12
Elistan

Bike(s):
07 CBR600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
Depends on your pace and experience. You should be fine if you're a regular track day doood and not racing. If you're out-riding those tires, it's not going to matter which street compound tire you do ride!

2CT is a fine tire, but I'd check with Motorcycles Unlimited to see what he has over there first.

OR, you could get some tasty track rubber from John at SCRC
I'd say I'm, hmm, a solid intermediate regular track day dude. Not expert enough to avoid making mistakes, so I'll probably inadvertently out-ride the tires from time to time. I'd get a set of Supercorsas or Pilot Races, not to run faster laps, but just to give me a safety cushion, if I didn't ride the bike on the street enough that I know I wouldn't get my money out of such tires.

Even at an intermediate type pace, is mid-90s at TWS (Texas World Speedway) enough to get the 2CT's greasy enough to be something to worry about?

ps - I'm in Dallas, so can't check out Motorcycles Unlimited. And SCRC? Southern Cruisers Riders Club?
Old 08-29-2008, 05:50 PM   #13
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elistan View Post
I'd say I'm, hmm, a solid intermediate regular track day dude. Not expert enough to avoid making mistakes, so I'll probably inadvertently out-ride the tires from time to time. I'd get a set of Supercorsas or Pilot Races, not to run faster laps, but just to give me a safety cushion, if I didn't ride the bike on the street enough that I know I wouldn't get my money out of such tires.

Even at an intermediate type pace, is mid-90s at TWS (Texas World Speedway) enough to get the 2CT's greasy enough to be something to worry about?

ps - I'm in Dallas, so can't check out Motorcycles Unlimited. And SCRC? Southern Cruisers Riders Club?
SCRC= South Central Race Center, John Hutchinson, Bridgestone supplier. He'll ship your tires, or you can pick them up on the way to the track and have them mounted by whomever is providing that service that day.

I'm not sure what a "mid 90" pace is at TWS (Texas World Speedway), if you're running 1:55 lap time or dang close, you need track rubber. If you're north of 2:00, there's really no reason you can't run street rubber there. I've run mid-50's on street compounds with no issues before.

I don't know about the 2CTs "getting greasy", never heard that until today, but then again, I've never run them.

Contact John at SCRC and pick up some tasty 003 Bridgestone tires on the way in from Dallas- if you meet him at his shop in Tomball, he'll even mount them for free if you have the wheels off. You won't regret it. Contact info is www.scracecenter.com

You could also contact Patrick at Motorcycles Unlimited if you want a street compound tire, stop by his shop on the way to the track, have your new tires mounted, and hit the track ready to roll. Their contact information can be found on their web site at www.motorcycles-unlimited.com, and they carry several different brands of tire.
Old 08-29-2008, 07:04 PM   #14
Elistan

Bike(s):
07 CBR600RR

Sorry, the "mid-90s" is talking about the temperature I expect we'll have there on Monday. I've never timed myself there so don't know what my times are, but my best on the MSR-C short course is 1:33.5 if that helps any.
Old 08-29-2008, 07:51 PM   #15
Turnerscasa
Box it, or bin it!

Bike(s):
2008 CBR1000RR
2007 GSXR750

I would get the take-off's from Greg, and wait on them to ship the tires you want. If thats an option money wise. You ride heads up enough to use the rubber you have, if you had to. Just go there in that mind set, I'm here, I paid, and i'm going be cool. I think the 2ct jumps around a lot. I'm on Power Race for now. Have fun dude..
Turnerscasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 07:53 PM   #16
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elistan View Post
Sorry, the "mid-90s" is talking about the temperature I expect we'll have there on Monday. I've never timed myself there so don't know what my times are, but my best on the MSR-C short course is 1:33.5 if that helps any.
That's a decent pace. I'd look hard at dedicated track rubber, and right now, I really like the 003 Bridgestones. Give 'em a try and see what you think. You might have to do some suspension tuning to get it dialed in, but I believe Onroad/ Offroad will be there to do some suspension work.

I'm not 100% sold on your deal at the local shop- I think they're trying to compromise with you to help out the situation, but it doesn't seem like an apples/ apples trade off.

Contact John if you're interested in trying the 'Stones, I think you'll be happy with them. You'll have to talk to John, but I'm pretty sure that the $350 you're paying will come close to the price of the 003 track compound!
Old 08-29-2008, 10:38 PM   #17
Elistan

Bike(s):
07 CBR600RR

I'd love to go with a full-on DOT race tire like the 003, but without a second set of wheels since I still ride on the street (plus I don't have tire warmers) I'm not sure they're the tire for me.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:22 PM   #18
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Feedback Rating: (5)

Member Garage

Actually the BT002 Ride Smart would be a better fit $249/set + tax. Until you get an extra set of rims and warmers. The BT002 Ride Smart's are more track focused but can be used without warmers and can be used on the street as well.

John
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 03:14 AM   #19
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

+1 on the BT02 Ride Smart great tire for the price.

+1 on the 2ct's getting greasy. Happened to me at MSRH
tiatool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 08:09 AM   #20
Candie

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2013 Ninja 300
07 CBR 600RR (sold)
09 Ninja 250 (sold)
04 CBR 600RR (sold)
04 GSXR 600 (sold)

I have ridden on the 2cts and 002 Ride Smart at the track and didn't have a problem with either one of them!!

Advertisement