MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2008, 08:44 AM   #1
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Feedback Rating: (31)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Member Garage

Cyber Tire

Interesting Stuff

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...27/097734.html
Quote:
AUTO CENTRAL - August 27, 2008: Pirelli is on the verge of releasing its latest innovation: the intelligent tyre, which, thanks to a microchip inserted into the carcass, can supply essential information on the state of the tyre and on road conditions to the driver and car, making the electronic control of the car more efficient. This innovation, from the technicians at Pirelli’s Research and Development department, delivers increased active and passive safety when driving.
The “intelligent tyre” will be delivered to market in two stages: the Cyber Tyre Lean and the Cyber Tyre.
Expected to be available in early 2010, the Cyber Lean can register data such as tyre pressure and temperature, as well as the average load of the vehicle, which are essential for safe driving. The Cyber Lean is glued directly onto the inner liner of the tyre and can “read” the data relative to the tyre and send it to the car’s on-board computer. Since the device can also detect tyre anomalies, the driver can adopt a correct and safe driving style, and by means of Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) technology, it can also store other data such as the type of tyre, the production date and the production site.
The Cyber Tyre “Lean” is self-powered, taking the necessary energy directly from the mechanical vibrations transmitted to the device from the tyre as it turns, so that it also has a zero maintenance cost and low environmental impact.
The Cyber Lean is only the first step in a process which will lead to a tyre that is an actual sensor in itself. The evolution of the Cyber Lean will be the Cyber Tyre: an “intelligent tyre” which will use an even more sophisticated and even smaller electronic device to communicate in real time with the electronic devices of the car, such as the ESP and the ABS, supplying even more detailed and precise information on the state of the tyres. The electronic sensor will be directly inserted into the structure of the tyre, becoming an integral part of its construction.
Thanks to the insertion of a triaxial accelerometer (which can measure acceleration on the 3 Cartesian axes - length, width, and height) and by means of complex algorithms, the Cyber Tyre will also give data on the actual and potential friction coefficients, the force of the contact between tyre and road, and on the load, instantaneously.
The real innovation is that this sensor, unlike the devices on cars today which intervene only after a driving mistake has already been made, will be able to correct wrong behaviour in advance.
Pyrofallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any good Cyber Monday deals? jakeg Off Topic 12 11-28-2011 08:05 PM
Cyber Monday marimirez Off Topic 0 11-26-2007 09:22 PM
Cyber anyone? cashtown Off Topic 2 07-30-2007 06:25 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-29-2008, 08:47 AM   #2
lilmckee
Not part of the wannbes

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

that's awesome!

Have a read out on your speedo, telling you your tire temps would be amazing!

where is mckee?
lilmckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 08:52 AM   #3
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmckee View Post
that's awesome!

Have a read out on your speedo, telling you your tire temps would be amazing!
Old 08-29-2008, 08:53 AM   #4
JRxGRUBZx

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
O-six six durty six (r.i.p)
07 zx6r (rip)
o-five six durty six (rip)
01 f4i - yes yes im a trader .

good find pyro
JRxGRUBZx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 09:32 AM   #5
gunshotwound
You have been warned!

Bike(s):
YAMAHA R6
YAMAHA FZ6

Member Garage

I wonder how much ?

CMRA #106
gunshotwound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 10:16 AM   #6
Squanto84
Ruh Roh..

Feedback Rating: (7)

Member Garage

It Sounds Like This Is Designed Mainly, He Not Completely, For Automotive Use, Instead Of Motorcycle Use. Awesome Find!
Squanto84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 10:17 AM   #7
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squanto84 View Post
It Sounds Like This Is Designed Mainly, He Not Completely, For Automotive Use, Instead Of Motorcycle Use. Awesome Find!
Correct. As of now this is for use in car tires....but seems in the future could easily be done for motorcycle tire use.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:19 AM   #8
Squanto84
Ruh Roh..

Feedback Rating: (7)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunshotwound View Post
I wonder how much ?
Well, The Car Would Have To Be Matched For The Technology Me The Tires, So I Hugok It's Safe To Say The Tires Will Be Priced Appropriately For Customers With Vehicles That Can Benefit From The Technology. I'm Thinking Gallardo Price Range.
Squanto84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 10:21 AM   #9
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squanto84 View Post
Well, The Car Would Have To Be Matched For The Technology Me The Tires, So I Hugok It's Safe To Say The Tires Will Be Priced Appropriately For Customers With Vehicles That Can Benefit From The Technology. I'm Thinking Gallardo Price Range.
true....if we ever saw this in wide implementation I think it would be several years into the future.

Advertisement