MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2008, 10:23 AM   #21
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerran V View Post
What's the price difference with the Dunlops vs. Bridgestones?
120/190 set

BT003's = $360
D211 Ntec = $470 (I think)
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
where's the biggest gear store with the most selections in Houston? Lucar Gear Talk 2 08-16-2011 02:17 PM
Someone took some real nice pics at the Laguna GP race Ridesmart Taking it to the Track 5 07-21-2008 04:01 PM
Great prices and selections on gear hawkman64 Gear Talk 1 12-17-2007 06:45 AM
a real race Mr. Unassailable General Discussion (Moto Related) 19 03-14-2007 02:36 PM
MotoGP Oberlungwitz, Germany Race Discussion (Spoilers) SBK Pilot Taking it to the Track 7 08-01-2005 10:03 PM
Advertisement
Old 09-04-2008, 10:34 AM   #22
Somebody1010
CCS EX #62

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
04 Suzuki 600 (Track only) 04 Kawi KX 250

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Somebody1010 Send a message via Yahoo to Somebody1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawi jm View Post
120/190 set

BT003's = $360
D211 Ntec = $470 (I think)
Pirelli's are $380 ish for the walk up price
Old 09-04-2008, 10:58 AM   #23
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

Michelin: Good traction, good wear, numb front end, not so good bump compliance, great price

Pirelli: Great traction, great front end feedback, mediocre bump compliance, good wear rate, not so good price

Dunlop: (N-tech Slicks only) Awesome traction, great front end feedback, superb midcorner bump compliance, some head shake but need to raise the rear and that should be fixed, tons of traction all day long, very slow wear rate. I did 11 sessions this weekend at TWS (Texas World Speedway), ok 7 of them were in novice, but the tires show very little wear.

TT91 & TT92 mini tiresÖ.well they just suck~! The 92ís donít suck as bad, but they are not far from hind

Bridgestone: I have only used the BT016 mini tires, and those are amazing! Best mini tire out there! John, I need to try the 003ís! Hook me up!!!!
FastLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 11:12 AM   #24
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Feedback Rating: (5)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godsuki View Post
John, I need to try the 003ís! Hook me up!!!!
PM a brotha
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 11:44 AM   #25
racerboy4
NTSB

Ok john you are getting defensive, so i will continue to respond.

I ran AMA SS and SB when Bridgestone was still doing AMA, in fact one of my crew guys still drives the AMA Bridgestone Motocross Truck so i am aware of what was going on at the AMA regarding Bridgestone tires. They didnt have any Dots that would work and i know plenty of guys that tried them, their slicks were ok, I even raced a rain race at Mid-O in 1995 on B rains and their rains were awsome. But dont blame it on Dunlop politics just becuase they didnt want to invest huge money in a series that appreciates them.

The only reason Pirelli has all of the series they have is becuase when the bid went out for contract they offered the most money, this is not the case in AMA which is open to anyone. Why is Bridgestone not racing in the U.S. at the AMA level? I was told by a higher up at Bridgestone when i was with Ducati that they were wasting their money in the AMA and would no longer because no one would use them except the 250/125 guys which are now gone, nothing reagrding AMA didnt want them, that is a load of .

So what are the politics with Bridgestone not racing AMA now? The tires you promote as the best why does no one use them at the AMA? I think Derek Wagnon is an excellent rider and i think he will be able to get faster and faster, and he seems to like the Dunlops plenty since he rides the CMRA Championship leading race team Moto-Ace's endurance bike and has no complaints. And by the way he is riding on Dunlops at an endurance pace not sprint pace for 6 hours on one set, i know that with Dereks talent he could go faster if needed, if he was sprinting on Dunlops.

Further for your info: BSB used to be dominated by, Dunlop until Pirelli bought the series, Australian is a Dunlop spec series, and Pirelli has bought every other series by huge margins, it also helps that FIM/Flammini/Dorna all Italian based companies are right next door to Pirelli. Brother-in-law indeed. But this is an entirely different subject.

By the way where do you live do you have a residence in Monaco from all of the Bridgestone sales? Who gives a if a tire works at Mugello or Misano or in Japan. European and Japanese tracks are not made of the same stuff and our tires are designed, engineered, and tested on track compositions similar if not the same as the onces we race on. No other company does this in the U.S.

But back to the club. I stand by my quote that our tires will last longer, and go faster than any other tire at the club level. Period. You can hypothesize anything else but Dustin, Dane, and Ty only get one set per weekend per bike
regardless of what you see or believe. Ask them. Heck i only see some of my guys at the truck every 2 to 3 weekends because they cant wear the tires out racing or practicing.

Question: I hear that you give out the most free tires of any other vendor is this correct, why? Does this skew the curve when you look at who is riding what? Is this Bridgestones way of buying customers? You also offer more contignecy which is awesome, but honestly is it just a tool to lure more customers to use your tires, balancing performance against their pocket book. Dont get me wrong i think the contigency deal is awesome but unfortunately Dunlop gave me a budget and hopefully this will increase in the future.

As far as Bridgestone Circa 2008, i stand by my other quote, that there are no bad tires just better ones, because like you I speak to your riders also about how your tires work or dont work so I am in the know. As far as Dustins 8 laps at Cresson, Dustin battled with Ty the entire race turning a 1:15:9 and finishing 2nd compared to Derek's 3rd and fastest 1:17:2. So i probably wouldnt use this in a conversation in the future.

John, i think you are an excellent addition to the CMRA and motorcycle comunity and look forward to working with you for the many years to come. Please dont take anything personally i am just giving people the facts. Call me if you want to discuss things further.

Sincerely
David Roy

Last edited by racerboy4; 09-04-2008 at 11:46 AM.
racerboy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 11:48 AM   #26
racerboy4
NTSB

Godsuki,

Raise the front or lower the rear. This is the same with Pirelli also which has a similar size and profile.

Peace
racerboy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 12:56 PM   #27
quEEn B
FEROSH!!!

[QUOTE=0oAndyo0;1405180] Im not trying to get in a match about which manufacturer is better then others and " Ty Howard, Larry Myers, Benny T, John Hanner runs these tire, so it the best" (But these guys could ride rim and it wouldnt make a difference) and yada yada yada...
But trying to have a good discussion on tire's so that we can all get some good informational news.
quEEn B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 01:10 PM   #28
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerboy4 View Post
Godsuki,

Raise the front or lower the rear. This is the same with Pirelli also which has a similar size and profile.

Peace
Thanks David
FastLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 03:09 PM   #29
Jerran V

Bike(s):
2006 GSXR 1000

Hey John,
The BT003s are great but I'm having some moderate "tearing" on the sides of the back (more than the 002s)...Any suggestions to help that? Change pressure/rebound/etc...
Jerran V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 03:35 PM   #30
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerran V View Post
Hey John,
The BT003s are great but I'm having some moderate "tearing" on the sides of the back (more than the 002s)...Any suggestions to help that? Change pressure/rebound/etc...
I'm sure John will chime in, but it depends on the day, the track and your suspension.

Most of the time, that can be affected by tire pressure changes, but other factors may be causing it also.

It also helps to see what the tire looks like.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:36 PM   #31
you da man

Experience: 7 years

My first DOT race tire was Michelin PR series which I thought were good but the front seemed to slip/tuck a little more than I liked (this was PR1 and PR2 front). Then the PRC was available, that was definately an improvement with the slippage. Tried Pirelli Superbike slicks and never was confident on them but I only tried them for two trackdays and didn't make any adjustments to the bike. This year I tried the Dunlop 211 at Oakhill at the first race (less than I'll morning temps). After my first race I knew this was the tire for me. I honestly thought that I now know what a "real" race tire should feel like and how it should work...at least for me. Last year I was slightly better than mid-pack novice. This year, still a novice, but running a few seconds off podium pace. I've managed to shave 5 seconds off at TWS (Texas World Speedway), 3 seconds at OHR, and 3.5 seconds at MSR-Cresson. I would attribute this to the confidence the 211's give me and of course the performance Dunlop has in these tires. I will also back up the talk about how the 211's wear, they last and last and last with even wear (suspension helps on the even wear)
you da man is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement