MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2008, 06:58 PM   #1
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Kawasaki EX250 (dead due to mechanical failure)
Kawasaki EX500 (on loan from a friend)
Pending, bikeless once the 500 gone :-(
Want Husky 510SMR or KTM 690 SMC to continue the hooligan activity

Traffic!

Ok, i broke down the last 2 days. Yesterday westpark was backed up several miles and I was sitting baking (shirt, mesh full jacket-good stuff from Revit!, full backprotector, reflective vest, boots, gauntlet gloves, helmet, etc the words).... and I said screw it. I could sit there baking for 30 minutes, or I could lane split, so I lane split under 25 mph, at 30 ish I stopped and just rode in the lane. No problems. Played it safe, no close calls, watched and didn't just gun it, but moved easily with traffic.

Today, rain galore. Road the HOV, and split a bit on the HOV when it just was moving at 2-3 mph, as I saw a ton of bikers sitting getting soaked and not even trying to follow. Strange. I guess I'm a hooligan. I'd consider myself very conservative compared to "squid behavior", but I don't mind moving through traffic, riding everyday in rush hour will get your more comfortable with flowing (THOUGH I'M WELL AWARE not to become complacent, I'm watching and making sure I don't overestimate my abilities or get reckless)

So to spark a bit of conversation:

1. Do you daily commute and split at all? Its great when hot... or just great period. Slow speeds, not dangerous like stop and go, and better than e lane, though you can speed faster in it.

2. Ya ever got a ticket for lane splitting in slow or standstill traffic? I guess you could fight it and chances are if you are splitting, you don't stick out like being in the E Lane. If traffic is moving, I don't do it. But geez, everyday sitting there when I can be moving a bit and cooling down, I know its "wrong", but sure feels better to get home 30 minutes earlier!

3. I started new job, so commute is 27 miles, from 249 & 1960 area to west park and 610. All tollway pretty much. Traffic the last few days has DOUBLED in terribleness! Schools back in, and I started this job last month. Should I expect the routine for westpark etc, to be THAT bad, same with beltway? Backed up for miles, or really bad? Please let me know if thats the norm.
specterunseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Traffic Today zerobounds Off Topic 4 03-13-2010 02:52 AM
Traffic JRxGRUBZx General Discussion (Moto Related) 34 08-08-2008 11:49 AM
How far (w/ traffic)??? wlgorman Off Topic 3 10-19-2007 10:15 AM
Another traffic vid. TxVrod Off Topic 2 06-12-2006 11:26 AM
Advertisement
Old 08-27-2008, 07:12 PM   #2
Bizzach

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
Yellow 2008 Kawa ZX-6R

I rock the deuce50 as well, and I don't lanesplit, though there is a spot on 146 (rural highway) where the traffic goes from 2 lanes to 1 and there's a MASSIVE backup around 5pm.... I'll hit the right shoulder and cruise about 40mph. Never had any problems or tickets. Occasionally I'll see other bikers sitting in traffic, and I can't believe they'd sit in the heat.
Bizzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 07:25 PM   #3
dudewhrsmybike

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R ABS

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to dudewhrsmybike
I'm bout to hit the streets once again on the 10R and ride to school and work in fair weather conditions. If I'm sitting in traffic and I get hot, I won't hesitate to split some lanes for a few min. I don't know bout yall but I'm not a fan of breathing in all that carbon monoxide. If I'm riding by myself and come up to a semi-congested red light, I'll filter to the front no doubt

It's GREEN, it's FAST, and it says Ninja on it
dudewhrsmybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 08:59 PM   #4
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Kawasaki EX250 (dead due to mechanical failure)
Kawasaki EX500 (on loan from a friend)
Pending, bikeless once the 500 gone :-(
Want Husky 510SMR or KTM 690 SMC to continue the hooligan activity

Yeah, i agree... however if all bikers hit the elane in large, i guarantee you there would be crackdown. I'd rather lane split, its scary at first, but the more you do it (again I don't do it long or in a straight run like those in Cali, more in 10-15 yards to empty lane, then move forward and then again split right now) the less scary it gets. Its actually a lot safer feeling than riding the beltway at 80 and being passed by everyone. Really depending on traffic, I can hit 80 and have to cruise at 85 on my 250 to keep people from riding up on my tail and just be moving with traffic.

Its really insane that for me to be moving through traffic on the beltway when its not completely congested, I'd have to go 90 mph to significantly get past some of those....

I think the other bikers don't split though (mostly the cruiser guys I see), since its in their mind a "hooligan thing, look how dangerous he is being", ignorance of the benefits and that when done properly isn't more dangerous than stop and go and perhaps even safer, and just not ever something they've wanted to do. It does take some ballzzz. :-) The first few times you do it, its terrifying, since its completely a new experience, but if you ease into it and slowly acclimate yourself and do it safely, you learn control and that its not really that dangerous. Sure you need to be careful, but you shouldn't be doing it when traffic is really moving good anyway, so its basically like moving your bike through a congested parking lot :-) I saw the posting about lanesplitting on the sticky and hope to that it gets passed someday. Would be BOON to the biker commuting world in texas, and especially in HOUSTON!
specterunseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 09:27 PM   #5
the_grey_john

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
1999 Honda CBR600 F4

lanesplitting being legal!? Hollow-joo-yah! I am new to biking and only did it once (bein' led by more more experienced budd ol' pal.) and it was crazy. Especially after he told me stories of haters in cagers turning their cars just enough to block you from splitting... But since I am blessed to work at night, traffic isn't something I encounter often. Good luck to you day dwellers!
Old 08-27-2008, 09:34 PM   #6
MudBug
Banned

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage

User is banned

MudBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 09:50 PM   #7
NoFear
Busa Chairman of Posing

Feedback Rating: (2)

lane splitting is illegal you are going to JAIL

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength-
NoFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 09:54 PM   #8
SiG239

Feedback Rating: (7)

I hit the westpark tollway traffic yesterday and split lanes for a couple miles and then exited, today just took side roads to avoid the whole situation. But yeah if you are baking in the heat and its a dead stop, like mudbug said...do what you gotta do. Just try and wait until you can't take sitting there anymore or there is no chance of traffic improving.
SiG239 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement