MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2008, 04:52 PM   #1
navigator
Senior Citizen

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'09 Ninja 250
'09 Versys
'09 Grizzly
'10 Felt Racing Hybrid

More Triumph Daytona issues

My regulator died last Thursday. I took the bike in to the dealer and they diagnosed it as a weak battery. I argued with them and they refused to believe me because they started the bike and it showed proper charging voltage. I told them to ride it and get it hot before checking but they didn't have time to do that.

So they charge me $140 for a new battery and curtly sent me on my way. I hoped that I was wrong.

Yesterday morning, the 1st time I've ridden it since getting it back with the new battery, it died 35 minutes into my commute to work. Same thing as before, low fuel light, tach goes nuts, screen goes blank, engine dies and will not restart.

I hauled it back to the dealer and the service manager would not even come out to speak with me. They put a charger on it, got it started, put on a volt meter and watched the voltage drop as the throttle was turned and the rpms went up. The mechanic said he wished it would have done that on Friday when he checked it.

So now they promise to ovenite ship a regulator, only to find out that Triumph USA has none in stock. Supposedly they are trickling in to the UK warehouse and will then trickle out to the US and other countries. Now how long am I gonna have to wait?

This confirms 3 things for me.
1. Triumph knows this is a recurring problem.
2. The service manager at my local dealership is an .
3. I'm glad I bought the '08 CBR1000RR because it will be running everytime the Triumph breaks down and is stuck in the shop.
POLITICAL CORRECTNESS, is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a by the clean end.
navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
triumph daytona 675 klassik General Discussion (Moto Related) 18 10-15-2009 12:37 AM
Triumph daytona 675 Tangy General Discussion (Moto Related) 31 10-30-2007 03:32 PM
triumph daytona hypertrophyy Taking it to the Track 3 10-20-2006 02:06 PM
Triumph Daytona 675 DaveJHotch General Discussion (Moto Related) 26 03-18-2006 08:25 PM
Triumph Daytona 650 Swift E General Discussion (Moto Related) 16 08-31-2005 03:21 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-27-2008, 04:54 PM   #2
HoustonGixxer

Feedback Rating: (17)

Experience: 8 years

Member Garage

well atleast you can ride your 1krr on the track this sunday and not be bikeless
HoustonGixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 05:06 PM   #3
navigator
Senior Citizen

Bike(s):
'09 Ninja 250
'09 Versys
'09 Grizzly
'10 Felt Racing Hybrid

I'll have to give that some thought. Don't know if I'm ready to take a chance of a crash on the new bike.
POLITICAL CORRECTNESS, is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a by the clean end.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:07 PM   #4
gunshotwound
You have been warned!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
YAMAHA R6
YAMAHA FZ6

Member Garage

Cool

Triumph...what were you smokin?

CMRA #106
gunshotwound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 05:25 PM   #5
burnboy
upliftmofopartyplan

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2011 kawi z 1000

so many people that have issues. some people never have any. its european. some people will never own another vw or audi again because of woes. i have 130,000 miles, 24lbs of boost and 300 somethin horse to the wheels. never let me down once. i hope i have the same luck with my daytona. it is british tho. maybe i'll go work for cliff and then your woe's can be eased. because youre super cool and i'd hook you up with the discount! by then you'll be unsaveable. i know youre , i could tell the other day. good luck!
burnboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 05:49 PM   #6
675TRPL
Hi

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
Triumph Daytona
Honda CRF 230

I don't know what shop gave you all the probs, but British USA sucked a year and a half ago when my daytona broke (3 months after I bought the bike)(You would have to ask Squanto84 about what broke, something about my shifter broke (solid piece of metal sheared in half), I'm just going to claim that since I'm a girl I really dont need to know exactly what broke (My best freind, Celine (Thats her MH screen name) will kick my for claiming its cuz Im a girl, she will say its becouse Im a dumbass). When I got it back f/ British USA, 2 months later, they did not fully connect my fuel line, so it came apart while riding. What shop did you go to w/ your bike?
Old 08-27-2008, 05:59 PM   #7
Blue91

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
2010 White R6
2003 Silver R6 (sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Blue91
You should insist that they refund the $140 they charged you for the new battery.

Blue91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 06:25 PM   #8
Squanto84
Ruh Roh..

Feedback Rating: (7)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 675TRPL
I don't know what shop gave you all the probs, but British USA sucked a year and a half ago when my daytona broke (3 months after I bought the bike)(You would have to ask Squanto84 about what broke, something about my shifter broke (solid piece of metal sheared in half), I'm just going to claim that since I'm a girl I really dont need to know exactly what broke (My best freind, Celine (Thats her MH screen name) will kick my for claiming its cuz Im a girl, she will say its becouse Im a dumbass). When I got it back f/ British USA, 2 months later, they did not fully connect my fuel line, so it came apart while riding. What shop did you go to w/ your bike?
I think Carl got his from British USA as well

Also, Carl I will have my 675 with me on Sunday. You are more than welcome to ride it all day. I have another bike to ride if you want the 675.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:49 PM   #9
J-Row
Gold MemberŪ

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2007 1000RR, 2006 1000RR (STOLEN)

HONDA FTW!! Always dependable!!
PGR #121546
J-Row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 07:17 PM   #10
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

you should have bought the Gixxer
FastLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 08:18 AM   #11
ZXALAN
UR NXT

Bike(s):
2000 Turbo-Hayabusa
2013 BMW S1000RR

Back in 01-04 I worked at British Usa..... Triumphs are well known for electrical problems, especially ECM problems. Most of the mechanics there(ofcourse I am sure there are all new mechanics now) had no clue on how to repair/tune the fuel injected Triumphs. The Triumph "game boy" tuning computer is a joke. I always liked Triumphs but they are definetly finicky and a PITA to diagnose repair, not to mention dealer support is non existant locally.

BTW I would demand they give you your old battery back and credit you but its unlikely to happen. Cliff, the owner is a total .

319hp@14lbs(pump gas), 435hp@29lbs(race gas)
Texas Mile Mar 09, 225.906mph, 8.82@168.43 w/1.63 60'-14.5lbs
ZXALAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 08:27 AM   #12
Sifu-TZ
#1 Satans' Buttnuggets

Bike(s):
Husky 450SMR motard

there are no decent truimph dealers anywhere near houston. I had a bad ECU that none of them could fix, but were happy to take my money to diagnose. every one of them screwed me on fixing it. it was a 96 daytona 1200. fun bike, but electrical issues were a . you couldn't give me a truimph, unless I was married to patrick.

Fastline motorcycle school grid marshal.
PM's open temporarily.
Sifu-TZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 10:14 AM   #13
navigator
Senior Citizen

Bike(s):
'09 Ninja 250
'09 Versys
'09 Grizzly
'10 Felt Racing Hybrid

I have 8K miles on the Triumph. This is the 2nd issue. It wouldn't have been so bad if the service guy would have listened to what I had to say, rather than ignoring me.

Cliff is trying to take care of me(I think). I have a BMW loaner to ride while my bike is there. They are checking today to see if the regulator from one of the '08's he has on the showroom floor will work. If so, they say they will rob it and get me going. If that happens, I can't really complain about Cliff. Greg is who I have a problem with.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:20 AM   #14
navigator
Senior Citizen

Bike(s):
'09 Ninja 250
'09 Versys
'09 Grizzly
'10 Felt Racing Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squanto84 View Post
I think Carl got his from British USA as well

Also, Carl I will have my 675 with me on Sunday. You are more than welcome to ride it all day. I have another bike to ride if you want the 675.
Scott,

You are definitely one generous person. This is the 2nd time you have offered to let me ride one of your bikes. I truly appreciate the fact that you would be willing to do it but I would feel even worse if something happened to your bike while it was in my care than if I were to total the CBR.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I get the Daytona back before Sunday.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:25 AM   #15
bubby
Candie's Pit Crew!

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
'07 600RR, '09 Kawi 250

Dang! That sux Carl!
Old 08-28-2008, 10:30 AM   #16
Squanto84
Ruh Roh..

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squanto84 View Post
...?
Old 08-28-2008, 10:34 AM   #17
ZXALAN
UR NXT

Bike(s):
2000 Turbo-Hayabusa
2013 BMW S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator View Post
I have 8K miles on the Triumph. This is the 2nd issue. It wouldn't have been so bad if the service guy would have listened to what I had to say, rather than ignoring me.

Cliff is trying to take care of me(I think). I have a BMW loaner to ride while my bike is there. They are checking today to see if the regulator from one of the '08's he has on the showroom floor will work. If so, they say they will rob it and get me going. If that happens, I can't really complain about Cliff. Greg is who I have a problem with.
Not sure who Greg is.....when I first started there in Mar 01, there was a Service Mgr named Greg, tall skinny guy.....kind of a . He quit right after I started and they went through about 2-3 other SVC MGRs while I was there. They offered me the job countless times but there is just no money in motorcycles..I was working part time just for some extra cash for my racing hobby. Cliff is as crooked as they get. I am suprised they gave you the loaner. Actually I am suprised that dealer is still in business. They have been in the red for the last 10 yrs....

Good luck on your bike, hopefully its just the reg/rect, could also be the plug at the reg/rect. I worked on so many of those old Daytonas it wasn't even funny.....Ofcourse when I quit, the 955i just came out as well as the TT600. that seems like forever ago now...

STAY ON THEIR !

319hp@14lbs(pump gas), 435hp@29lbs(race gas)
Texas Mile Mar 09, 225.906mph, 8.82@168.43 w/1.63 60'-14.5lbs
ZXALAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 10:52 AM   #18
Squanto84
Ruh Roh..

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator View Post
Scott,

You are definitely one generous person. This is the 2nd time you have offered to let me ride one of your bikes. I truly appreciate the fact that you would be willing to do it but I would feel even worse if something happened to your bike while it was in my care than if I were to total the CBR.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I get the Daytona back before Sunday.
Sorry Carl, I didn't see this till after i posted that last one. The bike is available, as is my regulator if it comes down to crunch time.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:10 PM   #19
navigator
Senior Citizen

Bike(s):
'09 Ninja 250
'09 Versys
'09 Grizzly
'10 Felt Racing Hybrid

So I did some more research and I called Triumph USA this morning. The rep told me that they were aware of some problems with the regulators but did not think it was bad enough to send out a service bulletin.

This is a heat related problem. The regulator mounts behind the exhaust midpipe along side the shock. When sitting in traffic in the hotter weather the regulator is subjected to extreme heat.

The problem is bad enough that Triumph made a design change mid year '08 and changed suppliers for the regulator. There is also a new mounting bracket to help position it better. Now, the problem is not bad enough to send out a service bulletin but it is bad enough to make the change on both the Daytona and the Street Triple. That makes no sense to me.

Still no word when my new regulator will ship. Maybe hear something tomorrow.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:28 PM   #20
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
BMW is pretty good w service bulletins. About 5 new ones a week.

Word of mouth makes or kills... FLAME ON!

Advertisement