MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2008, 01:51 PM   #1
Zapata
a.k.a Dos Equis

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'13 Victory Cross Country
'13 Victory Judge
'06 HD StreetRod VRSCR

Member Garage

Question about doing a track day.

Hello and pardon my ignorance.

What's the deal with the track day...??? Why everybody advise about doing a track day...?? If I'm not into racing, how that will benefit my street riding..??

Also is the trackday some kinda of race...??? when you guys get together at the track are you racing against each other?? or everybody must keep a single line?? Due to the speed involved, looks more dangeorus a track day than street riding. I do not think that I will ever need to drag a knee on the street.

Please, enlighten me....
Zapata is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Track Day Question Crossfits Taking it to the Track 2 04-14-2015 10:55 AM
Another Track Day Question Lee-RR Taking it to the Track 17 03-27-2013 10:38 AM
Track Day Question???? RayBusa Ridesmart Motorcycle School 7 03-13-2012 08:34 PM
Track Day Question cobra281 Taking it to the Track 24 10-18-2008 04:06 PM
track day question invalidalias General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 10-22-2007 08:47 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-26-2008, 01:58 PM   #2
Brena23
Mothernugget

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2005 CRF450R - tarded
Scooter- 2004 metropoliten
Mini-RM 65
2006 GSXR 1000

You will learn things on the track as far as how to take corners, body positioning, braking techniques that COULD come in handy on the street and builds your confidence in your riding ability which also will help because you are less likely to panic if there is something in your way either on the street or a car that has cut you off.

As far as on the track there are guidelines to help protect everyone out there, unless you are riding advanced which is the 90% racers. It depends with which track day org you ride with. I know Texastrackdays so I will tell you theres. Someone else can chim in on thed other orgs I dont want to say the wrong thing..

Novice there is NO passing in the morning because you are working on learning skills. Afternoon is passing on the outside only and not in turns.

Intermediate has a 6 ft passing rule and you must pass with caution.

Advanced boys bump and grind elbows sometimes it seems, but they are overall very skilled riders.

Hope this helps.

I am not sure if they all offer parade laps but I know TTDs does, you should come out around lunch time and have a look for yourself and do a parade lap, and if you would like you can sit in on a class to see what they consist of.

Satan ButtNuggets Mothernugget

Last edited by Brena23; 08-26-2008 at 02:01 PM.
Brena23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 02:05 PM   #3
Skid

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
CBR600RR

A track day is not a race. There are racers there, but they are there for practice and track time and are generally limited to the Advanced group.

The main point of a track day is to learn how to become a better rider whether you are a racer or a street rider. This is why track days divide track time into groups so you don't have a large difference in speed or skill.

Our novice group is set up to be a school for the first time track riders. This allows you to practice to become a better rider without the distractions or hazards of riding on the street. There are no cars, dogs, gravel...... only other riders learning as you are.

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
Skid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 02:13 PM   #4
Abbas_Raza

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
06 CBR 600RR

i have been to a couple of forest rides.>> i take it slow and just practice my line and body positions.. Last time i went i was in a turn and hit a rock MAn i almost ate it... Dude riding the track you do not have to worry about any of that chit ... Its just you,The bike and the corner ahead
Abbas_Raza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 02:14 PM   #5
burnboy
upliftmofopartyplan

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2011 kawi z 1000

zapata, how long have you been riding and is the speed triple your first moto? just curious. i hung out with navigator and cali and a few others last sunday in the forest. cali's explanation to me of form and function made a lot of sense. navigator who also has a daytona 675 as a track bike was riding behind me the whole time. at yankees he explained a lot about my daytona and its abilities. and started kinda coachin me on the ride back. i was playin around with takin an cheek off the seat and cornering. it was weird and still is because there isnt a corner everywhere you go on the street that you can practice over and over again. the track is repetitive and so a good place to hone skills. i have become very interested and will be taking forward motion to prepare myself (money) for some proper instruction at track days. i dont know if there are seasons or if its year round but i realize now its a good place to practice. no road kill, oncoming traffic etc...
burnboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 02:18 PM   #6
Brena23
Mothernugget

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
2005 CRF450R - tarded
Scooter- 2004 metropoliten
Mini-RM 65
2006 GSXR 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnboy View Post
zapata, how long have you been riding and is the speed triple your first moto? just curious. i hung out with navigator and cali and a few others last sunday in the forest. cali's explanation to me of form and function made a lot of sense. navigator who also has a daytona 675 as a track bike was riding behind me the whole time. at yankees he explained a lot about my daytona and its abilities. and started kinda coachin me on the ride back. i was playin around with takin an cheek off the seat and cornering. it was weird and still is because there isnt a corner everywhere you go on the street that you can practice over and over again. the track is repetitive and so a good place to hone skills. i have become very interested and will be taking forward motion to prepare myself (money) for some proper instruction at track days. i dont know if there are seasons or if its year round but i realize now its a good place to practice. no road kill, oncoming traffic etc...
Texastrackdays last track day for the year is November 26 if I am not mistaken. Good thing about texas is we dont have to take the winter off because of snow,sleet or any of the above typically. It just doesnt get cold enough here, so riding all year ! ! woo hoo

Satan ButtNuggets Mothernugget
Brena23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 02:22 PM   #7
Zapata
a.k.a Dos Equis

Bike(s):
'13 Victory Judge
'06 HD StreetRod VRSCR

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brena23 View Post
You will learn things on the track as far as how to take corners, body positioning, braking techniques that COULD come in handy on the street and builds your confidence in your riding ability which also will help because you are less likely to panic if there is something in your way either on the street or a car that has cut you off.

Dang...I thought the stuff that I learn at the MSF was enough..I ride almost everyday on the street and do not have trouble taking corners, unless is the street corner turns at 90 degrees in the subdivision. I can not take those turns fast Also I never go above the posted limits and the only time I go above the speed limits is on the freeway and only if I do not see Cops around...(hate to deal with those guys) and when I say "above" the speed limit is up to the "ton" (100MPH) no more.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:27 PM   #8
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brena23 View Post
Good thing about texas is we dont have to take the winter off because of snow,sleet or any of the above typically. It just doesnt get cold enough here, so riding all year ! ! woo hoo
I believe you were at such an event that had rain and 40 degree temps...we ddo have to take off 2 months
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 02:27 PM   #9
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

The purpose of track riding is to explore your limits, and the bikes, in a controlled environment, with predictable traction. You will be taught how to be smooth, as that's the only way you can become fast. There is not oncoming traffic, animals, soccer moms, or any other hazard associated with street riding.

As Brena stated, you'll learn proper body position, throttle control, braking techniques, and visual skills.

You are not there to drag your knees, although it will happen as your skill improves. Hopefully you wont be doing that on the street, as your speeds should not be that high there. Very few of the skills you have learned on the street will transfer to the track, but everything you learn on the track will transfer to the street, making you a safer and better rider.

All of these skills, we teach in our novice school, as do most of the other organizations.

I would like to extend an invitation to you to come and sit i n on any of my classroom sessions and you'll see what it's all about.
FastLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 02:28 PM   #10
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapata View Post

What's the deal with the track day...??? Why everybody advise about doing a track day...?? If I'm not into racing, how that will benefit my street riding..??
trackdays provide a safe alternative to the street as far as speeds go, lets face it, we didn't get the bikes we bought to go 40 mph on everywhere. there aren't any cars, police, trees, culverts, mailboxes, POLICE again, etc. to worry about while riding.

Also is the trackday some kinda of race...??? not a race at all, it is a means to hone in your skills and to help build additional skills.

when you guys get together at the track are you racing against each other??in some cases, friends do partake in a couple of competitive laps every now and again.

or everybody must keep a single line?? during LSTD's "round robin" we, the instructors do a lead session where all participants of the trackday for level C group or, the novice group follow the leader (instructor) around the track to be shown some lines (in single file), to get you familiar with the track layout, and to familiarize yourself with all of the bumps and bruises that the pavement has, after that, you are aloud to ride your own ride at your own pace on any line you chose BUT, the instructors are there to help show you the proper lines on the race track.

Due to the speed involved, looks more dangeorus a track day than street riding. I do not think that I will ever need to drag a knee on the street. not everyone attends to learn how to drag a knee, that is just a bi-product or result if you will.

Please, enlighten me....
there are many reasons for one to participate in a track day. some feel it a little more safer and comfy to be on a closed circuit in a controlled and safe environment. Some feel the need or want to become a club racer, this will help prepare you for that.
CarbonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 02:30 PM   #11
Skid

Bike(s):
CBR600RR

The MSF course fail to touch on some techniques you should learn. For example trail braking. The MSF warns you about braking in a corner and basically tells you never to do it. I can agree that it isn't someone needs to concern themselves with when initally learning how to ride, it still should be learned. While I do not feel that you should constantly trail braking on the street, there are times it could really save you from an accident. If you don't know how, or have never tried it, it wouldn't be any help in such an event.

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
Skid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 02:31 PM   #12
Zapata
a.k.a Dos Equis

Bike(s):
'13 Victory Judge
'06 HD StreetRod VRSCR

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnboy View Post
zapata, how long have you been riding and is the speed triple your first moto? just curious....

I have been riding since early 2001 and the Speed Triple is my second bike, the first one was a Kawasaki ZR-7. I learn to ride at the MSF in the Community College on the East side. I do not have any trouble riding the streets and feel very confortable around traffic. I can almost guess when a "cager" is going to cut me off.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:32 PM   #13
NorthHoustonGSXR
Yes I do.

Bike(s):
2006 GSX 600R
mystery bike
2000 CBR600F4 track only (SOLD)

oh young grasshopper!

xdng33m4iv
GOVERNMENT IS THE REAL MIDDLE MAN. COMMON BUSINESS PRACTICE IS TO ELIMINATE THE MIDDLE MAN.
NorthHoustonGSXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 02:41 PM   #14
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Member Garage

Quote:
Nothing to pardon, it's not like there is a handbook out there to all facets of riding. You've asked some good questions.
Quote:
What's the deal with the track day...???
A track day is an organization that rents a track for the day to allow others to ride for a fee. Some of the most fun and interesting tracks in the world can be found here, and it is a great way to learn new skills that have multiple applications for street and racing.

Quote:
Why everybody advise about doing a track day...??
Most people advise others to "do a track day" because so many folks drive like their hair is on fire on the streets. The track is an extremely controled (by comparison) environment that allows you to learn the potential and possibly limits of yourself and your motorcycle.

It is inherently more dangerous to ride to or learn your limits on the street, therefore, the track is the best place to have these activities. Not to mention, it's not good for your pocketbook as no doubt you'll accrue quite a few tickets on the street by riding like that!

Quote:
If I'm not into racing, how that will benefit my street riding..??
Skills man, skills. As long as you participate with instruction for your first few track days, your skills will increase dramatically! This translates to the street, and will no doubt become of use to you to foresee and avoid obstacles or emergency situations while riding on the street.

Quote:
Also is the trackday some kinda of race...???
No, not at all. Each provider has their own format, but riders are broken in to different groups that are based on a rider's ability and skill level. The beginners or "noobs" as you'll see them referred to, are grouped with similarly skilled riders. A rider's pace and skill is the basis for their placement in a group, and often times riders will be moved from group-group in order to adjust for those riding faster/ slower than the rest of the people in the group.

Quote:
when you guys get together at the track are you racing against each other??
Not really. Sometimes, friends will get together and have some friendly competition with each other on the track at track days, but this is not the main reason for folks to go. Again, different groups are at different paces, the slower paced groups will not be the same as the faster paced groups.

Often it's the case that those that are "fast" at a track day, are not "fast" in a race with the CMRA or similar organization that holds racing events. Just like folks that are "fast" on the street are usually not as fast as they think they are at a track day.

Quote:
or everybody must keep a single line??
No, but there are certain formats that do have this for the first (or first few) sessions. It is a lead/ follow session(s) that show new riders the layout of the track at a comfortable pace (usually not exceeding highway speeds).

Quote:
Due to the speed involved, looks more dangeorus a track day than street riding. I do not think that I will ever need to drag a knee on the street.
Dragging a knee does not = speed. Dragging a knee is a result of good things that you are doing, such as body position, proper braking, proper throttle, etc. This will all be explained in your first class.

There are lots of reasons that it is more dangerous on the track:

No old people to pull out in front of you.

No uncertain road conditions.

No cops.

No animals.

No cops.

You have to wear proper protective gear.

No cops... well, except those doing the track day with you!

Old 08-26-2008, 02:54 PM   #15
Pre-K

Feedback Rating: (11)

Bike(s):
2012 CBR1000RR
2014 Specialized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godsuki View Post
...I would like to extend an invitation to you to come and sit i n on any of my classroom sessions and you'll see what it's all about.
Good idea there... you can see what skills are being taught/learned in the classroom, then you can watch the new guys (and gals) put those skills into practice on the track.

I was amazed how much I learned on just my first trackday. It certainly made me more confident on the street!
Pre-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 02:56 PM   #16
1fastchevy
Bout Time

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):

I did not read everything so pardon me internet po po, but one of the best things at the track is no trees
no culverts
no cars,
no foreign objects to make contact with, 1FC
1fastchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 03:03 PM   #17
ileono918
On hiatus

Feedback Rating: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
There are lots of reasons that it is more dangerous on the track:

No old people to pull out in front of you.

No uncertain road conditions.

No cops.

No animals.

No cops.

You have to wear proper protective gear.

No cops... well, except those doing the track day with you!

Hi Tom I think you meant: There are lots of reasons that street is more dangerous than the track:
ileono918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 03:04 PM   #18
Jerran V

Bike(s):
2006 GSXR 1000

How about this reason...It's freakin' FUN!!! I rode on the street for years. Since my third trackday, I no longer have a street bike. Made it a track only bike. I love the track...go to every trackday that I can. Haven't had more fun on a bike ever (except that one time with a topless dancer, but that's another story...)
Jerran V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 03:06 PM   #19
Pre-K

Feedback Rating: (11)

Bike(s):
2012 CBR1000RR
2014 Specialized

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
...No cops... well, except those doing the track day with you!

Yeah, I guess there are a few of us lurking about!

When you're putting your new-found skills to use, you'll be glad there is no uniformed po-po in a car with pretty lights!
Pre-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 03:10 PM   #20
Zapata
a.k.a Dos Equis

Bike(s):
'13 Victory Judge
'06 HD StreetRod VRSCR

Member Garage

Thanks for all the info people...!!!

Never stop learning...!!!! Can a "cruiser" type bike do the track day...???? I do not have a sportbike.

Advertisement