MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2008, 02:56 PM   #1
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Well, let me say this about that...

Old 08-23-2008, 03:12 PM   #2
MudBug
Banned

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage

User is banned

MudBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 03:24 PM   #3
alrova
- LSTD - From 0 to Snail

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

Send a message via MSN to alrova Send a message via Yahoo to alrova
like always, awesome, ever though working for a motorcycle magazine!!! I'll subscribe
Old 08-23-2008, 03:34 PM   #4
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrova View Post
like always, awesome, ever though working for a motorcycle magazine!!! I'll subscribe
Yes, I have, but it was right along side of my other dream job; "Playboy Photographer" Not much of a chance to get either one, so I'm doing a job that requires no glamor or glitz... or nekkid chicks... dang, now I'm depressed!

Could you imagine what it must be like to travel the Country and the World, get to ride all of the latest machinery, even riding factory race bikes, MotoGP bikes, prototype bikes, etc?

I know a guy that works for Road Racing World, he think my job is cool
Old 08-23-2008, 03:49 PM   #5
vmaxgirl
LSTD Mafia Princess

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
1994 Vmax 1200
Honda 50 (Fuglee)
2012 ZX10r

Member Garage

Great write up Tom
Here is something to laugh at... I want a job similar to yours, but I don't want to "have" to ride. I just want to make it possible for everyone else to ride and have a fun and safe time. That would be my dream job
Old 08-23-2008, 04:18 PM   #6
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

Good read Tom! Thumbs up.

I remember watching that famous Shobert race, and I agree with you, it wasn't his fault.

I got to meet one of my childhood heros earlier this year while at MSRH. Boy was I surprised to see Kevin Schwantz! Needless to say, it was an honor!

Oh, and next time, I'll hire you a few ladies of the night so you can add some naked girls to your write up!
FastLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 04:38 PM   #7
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godsuki View Post
Good read Tom! Thumbs up.

I remember watching that famous Shobert race, and I agree with you, it wasn't his fault.

I got to meet one of my childhood heros earlier this year while at MSRH. Boy was I surprised to see Kevin Schwantz! Needless to say, it was an honor!

Oh, and next time, I'll hire you a few ladies of the night so you can add some naked girls to your write up!
Yeah, we have had several brushes with Schwantz over the past couple of years (not to "one up" you or anything, it's just cool). I loved it when he and Spies teamed up with Haner and Kienast at the CMRA race at TWS (Texas World Speedway). We talked to them for a while- very approachable and cool folks Them signing up in the same race we were in, well, it was just plain cool. I can't think of another synonym.

The CMRA has had so many incredibly talented folks come out of their ranks- I can only imagine what the future will hold. Looks like Hayden Gillim may be the next one, and Dane Westby, Dustin Dominguez, and a few other youngsters are easily within the ability to run in the big show if their progress continues.

Whenever those guys swing by the paddocks on race weekends (past World Champions, current AMA stars, etc), it's a treat! I have to curb my awe and remember that they're regular folks with extraordinary skills. It's a lot easier to approach those guys, especially when at Oak Hil, than it seems to be with other sports figures I've met (except Gordy Howe, that dude is incredible!).

That track just equates to "family" to me- like going to your favorite camp site or family vacation spot; very rustic and humble, without all the bling and "needless" amenities (although those "needless" amenities are nice... ). Seeing those guys there is no different than seeing any of the other club racers it seems.

Nowhere else but in the motorcycle racing community. Well, ice hockey is similar to that atmosphere too- I've played with former NHL players, a lot of IHL/ AHL former and current players, but I can't think of many examples where "normal" folks compete in a hobby sport along side current and former champions of the World!
Old 08-23-2008, 05:15 PM   #8
vmaxgirl
LSTD Mafia Princess

Bike(s):
1994 Vmax 1200
Honda 50 (Fuglee)
2012 ZX10r

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
Yeah, we have had several brushes with Schwantz over the past couple of years (not to "one up" you or anything, it's just cool). I loved it when he and Spies teamed up with Haner and Kienast at the CMRA race at TWS (Texas World Speedway). We talked to them for a while- very approachable and cool folks Them signing up in the same race we were in, well, it was just plain cool. I can't think of another synonym.

The CMRA has had so many incredibly talented folks come out of their ranks- I can only imagine what the future will hold. Looks like Hayden Gillim may be the next one, and Dane Westby, Dustin Dominguez, and a few other youngsters are easily within the ability to run in the big show if their progress continues.

Whenever those guys swing by the paddocks on race weekends (past World Champions, current AMA stars, etc), it's a treat! I have to curb my awe and remember that they're regular folks with extraordinary skills. It's a lot easier to approach those guys, especially when at Oak Hil, than it seems to be with other sports figures I've met (except Gordy Howe, that dude is incredible!).

That track just equates to "family" to me- like going to your favorite camp site or family vacation spot; very rustic and humble, without all the bling and "needless" amenities (although those "needless" amenities are nice... ). Seeing those guys there is no different than seeing any of the other club racers it seems.

Nowhere else but in the motorcycle racing community. Well, ice hockey is similar to that atmosphere too- I've played with former NHL players, a lot of IHL/ AHL former and current players, but I can't think of many examples where "normal" folks compete in a hobby sport along side current and former champions of the World!
You be sure to introduce me eh Tom
Old 08-23-2008, 05:39 PM   #9
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxgirl View Post
You be sure to introduce me eh Tom
No problem. They show up the most often during their off-season.
Old 08-24-2008, 02:25 PM   #10
MacMan
S. McNamara LSTD Mob Boss

Bike(s):
2006 KTM950SM, 1996 Harley-Davidson FXDL

Tom,

As always my brother it was great spending some time with you.
Old 08-24-2008, 02:41 PM   #11
vuongedition
BOOSTA CLUB MEMBER

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2003 Yamaha R6(vuongedition blue and orange)

Send a message via Yahoo to vuongedition
it was a great weekend! Team BUSTAS I mean Bi-Polar did well saturday considering they only had two riders and me as the Pit Man LOL. I had to wear these tight sweat pants that i had to borrow from the people next to us LOL. but it was a great time!
vuongedition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 04:54 PM   #12
BrutusTx

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vuongedition View Post
it was a great weekend! Team BUSTAS I mean Bi-Polar did well saturday considering they only had two riders and me as the Pit Man LOL. I had to wear these tight sweat pants that i had to borrow from the people next to us LOL. but it was a great time!
JE said you LIKE wearing those tight sweat pants!!!

Great write up........I sure miss spending time at the track.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:02 PM   #13
aarongore

Bike(s):
SV650, ZX7RR

LSTD

It was an awesome weekend, although by Saturday noon it was just brutally hot. LSTD did an awesome job managing both tracks safely. I'm sure this was a new task for them by running two tracks with different schedules. Good job by all!! Thanks Tom, Macman, Jeff, and all the rest of the LSTD posse for a job well done.
aarongore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 10:04 PM   #14
vuongedition
BOOSTA CLUB MEMBER

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2003 Yamaha R6(vuongedition blue and orange)

Send a message via Yahoo to vuongedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutusTx View Post
JE said you LIKE wearing those tight sweat pants!!!

Great write up........I sure miss spending time at the track.
i would have if they would have been mine and it was HOTTTTTTT
vuongedition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 07:52 AM   #15
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarongore View Post
It was an awesome weekend, although by Saturday noon it was just brutally hot. LSTD did an awesome job managing both tracks safely. I'm sure this was a new task for them by running two tracks with different schedules. Good job by all!! Thanks Tom, Macman, Jeff, and all the rest of the LSTD posse for a job well done.
Thanks Aaron, every time I rode by your trailer, you looked like you got enough track time!

How did Austin do on Sunday?
Old 08-26-2008, 08:31 AM   #16
aarongore

Bike(s):
SV650, ZX7RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
Thanks Aaron, every time I rode by your trailer, you looked like you got enough track time!

How did Austin do on Sunday?
Wrecked in practice (as usual)!! I think Austin and Allan Phillips have some bet going on that I don't know about because they wreck more than the rest of the club combined! He got back on and finished 2nd in F6 and 1st in F7 sprints and 1st in F7 endurance making them the F7 endurance champions!!
aarongore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:09 AM   #17
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Wrecked in practice (as usual)!! I think Austin and Allan Phillips have some bet going on that I don't know about because they wreck more than the rest of the club combined! He got back on and finished 2nd in F6 and 1st in F7 sprints and 1st in F7 endurance making them the F7 endurance champions!!
, fantastic! Congrats to Austin!
Old 08-26-2008, 09:33 AM   #18
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Feedback Rating: (5)

Member Garage

Quote:
What did you do, tell him to go make that Bridgestone contingency or else

Looks like he showed up the old man this weekend

Congrats on the finishes, Austin!
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement