MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2008, 09:39 PM   #1
v4lu3s

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2003 CBR 600 F4i -- Sold

Member Garage

my first ride in the forest

So I have been reading all the threads about the group rides every weekend out 149 and further....and been a little jealous since I spend all day Saturday working on bikes and atvs and so i cannot go. In addition my newbishness has me a bit uncomfortable about riding with a bunch of people still....

Today another newb I know who lives near me in Conroe came over and we took a 150 mile ride starting on 149 and just kind of wandering from there, passing through Navasota and turning around at Brenham. The best stretches were 149 and 1774, next weekend we may make the run up 3090 as well.

I love being able to just go out and ride and not really worry about where to go or what time it is or anything, just enjoying the great weather and beauty of the country side. Makes me want to go further...

I really did not realize how lucky I am to live in Texas.
v4lu3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
7/2/14 SHNF ride Zrx jet's 1st ride in the forest Buelligan Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 0 07-03-2014 10:03 AM
N 1st N00b Ride for Feb. A Looong ride through the Country and The Forest Sat 2/22/2014 Blamdiggity Events, Meets and Rides 170 02-25-2014 08:48 PM
Forest Ride Ride-HalFFast Rykoson General Discussion (Moto Related) 34 09-01-2012 11:03 AM
Secret Forest Ride Saturday Dec 11 KSU 945-Moderate Ride Starting in Katy Rykoson Events, Meets and Rides 32 12-12-2010 03:05 AM
BDAY Forest Ride 8/29/2009 w/the Forest Gnomes!!! hybrid_crx Events, Meets and Rides 62 08-30-2009 03:40 AM
Advertisement
Old 08-17-2008, 09:40 PM   #2
Brandon

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2011 R6
2007 R6 (sold)
1983 XR-250R (sold)

I was out there today as well. Great weather!
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 09:49 PM   #3
matemike
Grip it 'n' Rip it!

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR 750
2007 GSXR 600...tracked out

Member Garage

ya it's a good ride, i like it best coming back down
Old 08-17-2008, 09:53 PM   #4
v4lu3s

Bike(s):
2003 CBR 600 F4i -- Sold

Member Garage

The weather was just amazing if you ask me, I think we were on the road from about 945 til 130 or 2, next weekend I am starting earlier though. I think the guy that road with me would agree since he has a vented leather jacket and should have gotten perforated...

For now I am gonna stick with jsut a few people, until i feel a lot more confident. Then I may end up making solo trips since its so close. Once i am that much more sure I would like to try one of the larger group rides though.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:59 PM   #5
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

I had a bad experience in the Forest one day. We were riding in a group and the pace got "spirited". We were all racers, but usually didn't ride like that on the streets and kept "The Pace" in mind. This day were were not being "good".

Anyway, PD found us and pulled the group over, well, almost all of us... the dude leading the ride took off! Can you believe that? He took off and left us sitting there with our thumbs up our butts with an already angry officer! I was pizzed!

PD told us to "stay here" and took off after our "leader". I thought about riding off, but another officer came right away and took care of us We all got tickets, but we were commended for not following suit with our dumb- "leader". He said too that if he hadn't have taken off, we had a chance of getting out without a ticket! Instead, we all got tickets...

Anyway, our "leader" got stopped pretty quickly (we heard) and hauled off to the pokey.

I haven't been back to the Forest since then (a pity) and soon after is when I decided to not ride on the streets any more (I have no self control of the twisty part of the grip on the right...).

I'm still pizzed at that jackhole, and haven't talked to him since. ***.

Anyway, didn't want to anyone out or anything, just brings back memories.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:10 PM   #6
1fastchevy
Bout Time

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
I had a bad experience in the Forest one day. We were riding in a group and the pace got "spirited". We were all racers, but usually didn't ride like that on the streets and kept "The Pace" in mind. This day were were not being "good".

Anyway, PD found us and pulled the group over, well, almost all of us... the dude leading the ride took off! Can you believe that? He took off and left us sitting there with our thumbs up our butts with an already angry officer! I was pizzed!

PD told us to "stay here" and took off after our "leader". I thought about riding off, but another officer came right away and took care of us We all got tickets, but we were commended for not following suit with our dumb- "leader". He said too that if he hadn't have taken off, we had a chance of getting out without a ticket! Instead, we all got tickets...

Anyway, our "leader" got stopped pretty quickly (we heard) and hauled off to the pokey.

I haven't been back to the Forest since then (a pity) and soon after is when I decided to not ride on the streets any more (I have no self control of the twisty part of the grip on the right...).

Can we say bad experience !

to v4 , come out and have fun, 1FC
1fastchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 10:10 PM   #7
v4lu3s

Bike(s):
2003 CBR 600 F4i -- Sold

Member Garage

not a story that bums me out, but just a good reminder that they are out there just waiting...i would say 95% of my ride today was within 10 mph of the speed limit. But we had a few moments when it was hard not to cut loose coming out of a curve into a straight away (I did say we are newbs lol). at one point we had slowed from 85ish to the speed limit and it was right then that we came upon a DPS trooper on the side of the road, and use being the only people in sight i sort of figured he would pull us over on principle alone.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:17 PM   #8
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by v4lu3s View Post
not a story that bums me out, but just a good reminder that they are out there just waiting...i would say 95% of my ride today was within 10 mph of the speed limit. But we had a few moments when it was hard not to cut loose coming out of a curve into a straight away (I did say we are newbs lol). at one point we had slowed from 85ish to the speed limit and it was right then that we came upon a DPS trooper on the side of the road, and use being the only people in sight i sort of figured he would pull us over on principle alone.
Yeah man, not to mention WHO you ride with. Don't feel pressured to ride over your head either. Lots of good folks to ride with around this place that will do an organized ride with good leaders, sweepers, and won't expect you to ride over your head. Most of the time, if the groups are big enough, some of these folks will even break up in different packs for those more and less experienced.

I'm sure there's some folks around here on MH that do this, but I know for a fact that the folks in the TSBA do, as well as holding a safety meeting before setting out

You can join up on their rides every Sunday. Not a bunch of geezers who ride like poo-nanny's, the pace is still plenty fun, but you won't find any of them trying to set track records either.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:25 PM   #9
v4lu3s

Bike(s):
2003 CBR 600 F4i -- Sold

Member Garage

today I was the experienced guy, they both rode dirtbikes but between them they still had less than 1k street miles, compared to near 3k for me.

when i get more comfortable around other riders i am gonna see about getting in with guys that are better than me to learn and so on.

It will also help that i am getting new tires this week, I am still on teh stock 03 tires since the bike jsut hit 4k miles, and they are pretty worn out.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:39 PM   #10
mike

Member Garage

Quote:
But we had a few moments when it was hard not to cut loose coming out of a curve into a straight away (I did say we are newbs lol).
Fast corners and slow straights. Everybody can twist a throttle. Keep the eyes open and you'll spot troopers pretty easy. Hard to do though when you haul where you shouldn't.

Just my $0.02. Been up there this morning with no incidents and still plenty of fun to get rid of the ugly chicken strips on my new tires.

Mike
Old 08-17-2008, 11:26 PM   #11
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post

That's the problem with group ride. I was leading a group one time but one guy decided to run and everyone paid the price.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 12:36 AM   #12
Bigmarky
Funny saying goes here

Bike(s):
non running sv650 :(

i used to think the forrest was nice till i finally hit bandera

shame its north of freakin austin :p

forrest just only has like a few good corners and way too many cops
Bigmarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 12:59 AM   #13
Longrider

Bike(s):
08 CBR1000RR (R6, RS50, GS500 Track)

Member Garage

You don't want to go to Bandera. Bandera sucks. Don't go there. No good roads. No good scenery. No hills. No cool streams. Nothing but straight roads and...snowdrifts... Yeah, that's it! Snowdrifts! Don't go there!
Longrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 01:34 AM   #14
Azylum
The Chosen One

Feedback Rating: (23)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 2

Quote:

I really did not realize how lucky I am to live in Texas.
werd. im on SBN as well, a nationwide forum, and every year i see threads about 'putting the bike up for the winter' and laugh my muthafukkin off. i shouldnt, because i genuinely feel bad for them because for some of them winter is ten months long. im like "winter? what the is that?". THEY have a "riding season", ours is all year round.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:03 AM   #15
v4lu3s

Bike(s):
2003 CBR 600 F4i -- Sold

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azylum View Post
werd. im on SBN as well, a nationwide forum, and every year i see threads about 'putting the bike up for the winter' and laugh my muthafukkin off. i shouldnt, because i genuinely feel bad for them because for some of them winter is ten months long. im like "winter? what the is that?". THEY have a "riding season", ours is all year round.
hahah i did not even think of that even though one of my best friends lives outside philly and mentioned having to put his bike away for the winter more than a few times. yet another reason to love it where I am!
Old 08-18-2008, 09:04 AM   #16
v4lu3s

Bike(s):
2003 CBR 600 F4i -- Sold

Member Garage

as far as going out further...for now I will just stick around near where I live...well within 100 or so miles at least! When my wife gets back from her deployment I am hoping to get a second bike so she and I can both ride and make some multiple day trips!
Old 08-18-2008, 09:24 AM   #17
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
Glad you enjoyed it... we appreciate those roads too.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:45 AM   #18
smokinjoe
Señor Membero

Bike(s):
Honor Cycle 5000
╯°□°)╯┻━┻

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to smokinjoe
yeah cyrick21 and myself were cruising the forest yesterday starting at 7:30am, the weather was perfect, no traffic, just smooth sailing... I may post an early bird ride for next sunday for anyone that wants to go
smokinjoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement