Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2005, 05:53 PM   #1
Feedback Rating: (0)

For those interested in straight lines...

Andrew Hines successfully defended his NHRA POWERade Pro Stock Motorcycle world championship by securing his second title in a row Sunday afternoon at Pomona Raceway. Hines' opening-round win over a red-lighting Chris Rivas combined with an earlier loss by second-place rider GT Tonglet kept the class crown in the Vance & Hines Screamin' Eagle Harley-Davidson V-Rod camp for the second straight year.

"Without a doubt, this feels better than last year's title," a teary-eyed Hines said as he received the $50,000 champion's check from Ben Reiling, senior manager of sports marketing for Coca-Cola North America. "You always want to win the second one to prove the first one wasn't a mistake or dumb luck. We made some mistakes this year, and we reached a point where we had to be perfect every round to win this deal, but my dad [Byron Hines] and brother [Matt Hines] and the rest of the Vance & Hines crew gave me an awesome bike, and we were able to get it done."

A couple of first-round losses early in the year dropped Hines as low as fifth in the POWERade points on two separate occasions, but under the guidance of team patriarch Byron, 22-year-old Andrew moved back to the top slot on the strength of three straight midseason final-round showings, two of which ended in victories.

"Dad knows how to make a champion," Andrew said of his father, who can now take credit for five NHRA Pro Stock Motorcycle titles. "And I wouldn't have won one championship without Matt tuning this Harley, let alone two in a row. This is just an awesome feeling, and all the credit goes to the team.

"I'm doing everything I can to build a future with the NHRA and with Harley-Davidson. Those guys loved it when we won their first championship last year, and I know they're gonna be amped up about defending the title."

Andrew joins the late Dave Schultz, his brother, Matt, and Angelle Sampey as the only riders in class history to win consecutive titles. Matt and Sampey won three titles in a row.

"It almost seems like it's not real when you put my name next to my brother or Dave or Angelle," Andrew said. "I mean, you dream about stuff like this, but when it starts happening, it seems like it's not real. That's a pretty cool list to be a part of. Now I need to try and get a third one so I can match Matt's mark. Even if I do, I will never match him as a rider. He's the best, in my opinion."

This is the 52nd race of Hines' career. He's won five times in nine final rounds, including posting a 2-2 mark in 2005. He's earned 18 low-qualifier honors and has a race day record of 73-45.
TxVrod is offline   Reply With Quote