Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2008, 12:52 PM   #1
the_grey_john

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
1999 Honda CBR600 F4

CBRF4 Streetfighter Help

First, let me say this is my first thread, so if this is misplaced, just point me in the right direction if you would...

Second, indeed, I am doing a streetfighter conversion on my F4. For every person that sees the bike and likes it, there is someone hatin' on it. It is what it is, but know this, if it was bigger than a 600, I probably wouldn't do it... probably...

Third, I am new to bikes really, as I come from the world of Nissan imports (A Proud 240SX owner!). So please, any advice you have, please do share.

Now, to business...

I have already installed my dirtbike handle bars and my harley-davidson lights on the front. Stripped all the plastics off (the front fender and rear tire hugger were in BAAADDD shape!).
I bought the bike off of craigslist for a song, so I wasn't expecting the best of the best, like I said, I am new to bikes.
The engine works beautifully (something to be expected from Honda!) but the chain is in cruddy condition, I need to change the oil, I want to paint the bike at home with a nice flat bike and some glossy red logos I have already designed.
The plastics still on the bike (rear fairing and fuel tank) are in excellent condition, so I don't see myself needing any bond-o, but I want to to play it safe, and I also want to get some epoxy paint and paint the frame black.

With that said, here is what I would like some help with:

1. I want to change out the chain, but I want to do it myself. Two reasons for this: If the chain and sprocket are $110, why am I paying $400 total to get it put on in a shop? No go. And two, I have noticed bike shops aren't the most populous things in the world, and thought it'd just be a handy thing to know how to do. Can anyone give me a walk-though on how that'd work?

2. I am in need of F4 front fender and rear-tire hugger. Anyone got some spare plastics? I see whole plastic sets, but I don't need nor want the whole set. And with that, I want to paint my stuff on my own (its more fun that way!). Any tips for that?

3. Third and not least, anyone know first-hand about painting the rims on the bike? Doing body work is what I know (to a limited degree... heh.) but rims, not too familiar. I think anyway. But yeah, any tips for that?

Anything is welcome, so please help this noob out, in return, I will grace you with your first look at a future niche in street-bikin'. And if it isn't yer first, it'll be your favorite! Because you helped! See how that works?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
streetfighter project750 Performance and Modifications 0 08-27-2012 10:22 PM
Streetfighter look ? lanzer913 General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 09-27-2010 09:55 PM
Streetfighter!! mjrauma General Discussion (Moto Related) 18 02-24-2010 09:06 AM
Like my streetfighter? logan5 General Discussion (Moto Related) 27 07-22-2008 10:53 PM
CBRF4 AND MY SC400 NorthHoustonGSXR General Discussion (Moto Related) 102 06-26-2007 06:11 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-17-2008, 12:57 PM   #2
jph1486

Bike(s):
yzf600r(sold) 03 fiddy
zx6
zx10
kx250f

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_grey_john View Post
First, let me say this is my first thread, so if this is misplaced, just point me in the right direction if you would...

Second, indeed, I am doing a streetfighter conversion on my F4. For every person that sees the bike and likes it, there is someone hatin' on it. It is what it is, but know this, if it was bigger than a 600, I probably wouldn't do it... probably...

Third, I am new to bikes really, as I come from the world of Nissan imports (A Proud 240SX owner!). So please, any advice you have, please do share.

Now, to business...

I have already installed my dirtbike handle bars and my harley-davidson lights on the front. Stripped all the plastics off (the front fender and rear tire hugger were in BAAADDD shape!).
I bought the bike off of craigslist for a song, so I wasn't expecting the best of the best, like I said, I am new to bikes.
The engine works beautifully (something to be expected from Honda!) but the chain is in cruddy condition, I need to change the oil, I want to paint the bike at home with a nice flat bike and some glossy red logos I have already designed.
The plastics still on the bike (rear fairing and fuel tank) are in excellent condition, so I don't see myself needing any bond-o, but I want to to play it safe, and I also want to get some epoxy paint and paint the frame black.

With that said, here is what I would like some help with:

1. I want to change out the chain, but I want to do it myself. Two reasons for this: If the chain and sprocket are $110, why am I paying $400 total to get it put on in a shop? No go. And two, I have noticed bike shops aren't the most populous things in the world, and thought it'd just be a handy thing to know how to do. Can anyone give me a walk-though on how that'd work?

2. I am in need of F4 front fender and rear-tire hugger. Anyone got some spare plastics? I see whole plastic sets, but I don't need nor want the whole set. And with that, I want to paint my stuff on my own (its more fun that way!). Any tips for that?

3. Third and not least, anyone know first-hand about painting the rims on the bike? Doing body work is what I know (to a limited degree... heh.) but rims, not too familiar. I think anyway. But yeah, any tips for that?

Anything is welcome, so please help this noob out, in return, I will grace you with your first look at a future niche in street-bikin'. And if it isn't yer first, it'll be your favorite! Because you helped! See how that works?

$400 to replace and install chain and sprockets? thats crazy who quoted u that? Look up motorcycles unlimited, for the wheels maybe look into getting them powdercoated scootertrash on here can do that and for the paint talk to houseofpain
Old 08-17-2008, 01:07 PM   #3
The Black Sheepdog
Derp

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
09 600RA
06 F4i
fiddy

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to The Black Sheepdog
Welcome to the site man, and I'm looking forward to pictures of your progress.
Old 08-17-2008, 01:33 PM   #4
Squoddybody
This is me.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

You should start an introduction thread to get your welcomes, but asking for help or information- this is the right place. Good luck on your quest- pics, please!

follow me on IG - squoddybody
Squoddybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 01:42 PM   #5
C.Hern5972
Street Ninja Four Father

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
96 ZX7R 37k miles and still strong
2007 HD Softail
2002 Springer Classic
2007 GSXR600

Member Garage

welcome to MH....

Start looking on here in the for sale section and on CL for your extra parts.

Chris H
"I dont follow rules to well"
C.Hern5972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 04:32 PM   #6
GABRIEL

Feedback Rating: (14)

Experience: 1-3 months

http://w3.bikepics.com/pics/2008/03/...34721-full.jpg
GABRIEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 07:36 PM   #7
the_grey_john

Bike(s):
1999 Honda CBR600 F4

GABRIEL, that is an AWESOME example of what I am trying to pull off. But get this... its TOO clean. I spent $1800 on this bike, and about $400 on the engine (the old one was !
Its a cheap bike, and a 600 at that.
I want my bike to look like a Rat Bike.
Straight home project looking.
Thermal wrapping on the headers, self-done paint job, dirtbike handle bars.
I have this little philosophy on what a bike should be, and I am kind of bringing that into reality.

And JPH1486, I went to Motorcycles Unlimited and they quoted me at like $350, no lie. Know of any cheaper places? Worst come to worst, I am ripping some shiff up and replacing the chain myself.
Old 08-17-2008, 07:40 PM   #8
GABRIEL

If you need any help or need to do the chain Javi with true methods can help you. He is a sponsor on this board. Or if I could help on anything,
Old 08-17-2008, 07:56 PM   #9
the_grey_john

Bike(s):
1999 Honda CBR600 F4

Thats much appreciated partner.
I am not avoiding the shop, I would just like to know how to do it myself, it seems pretty simple enough, but then again...
Old 08-17-2008, 09:38 PM   #10
jph1486

Bike(s):
yzf600r(sold) 03 fiddy
zx6
zx10
kx250f

pm sent john
Old 08-17-2008, 10:19 PM   #11
klassik

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
rnz450

you should check out this site i think it will help u alot!

www.customfighters.com
Old 08-18-2008, 12:27 AM   #12
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

+1 for javi at true methods for help w/ the chain, and for scootertrash doing the powdercoat.

sounds like you're heading in the right direction though otherwise
Old 08-18-2008, 09:24 PM   #13
the_grey_john

Bike(s):
1999 Honda CBR600 F4

bandito, i already have that website bookmarked. And it is an awesome site.
and kacivic, what kinda bike is that in your sig? I hoping to do a streetbike version of that. Thermal wrap and all...
Old 08-18-2008, 10:22 PM   #14
the_grey_john

Bike(s):
1999 Honda CBR600 F4

http://web.mac.com/the_grey_john/iWe...s/IMG_3827.png

There is a sample of how far I have gotten...
In reality I have already taken off the fuel tank and rear fairing.
I am waiting for the Phig rear tire hugger to come in.
I also ordered my OEM front fender, but due to the fact the F4 is uber rare these days, it'll take about two weeks to find its way to me... but good things come to those who wait i suppose.
Can't wait to paint them bishes up!
Old 08-19-2008, 10:44 AM   #15
klassik

Bike(s):
rnz450

i feel u on the waitin game. i am doing a front end swap on my bandit to a o7 gsxr front end and i am waitin on stupid little bearings.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:46 AM   #16
GABRIEL

Convert the bike to an f4i.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:49 AM   #17
klassik

Bike(s):
rnz450

de;ete
Old 08-19-2008, 10:59 AM   #18
the_grey_john

Bike(s):
1999 Honda CBR600 F4

F4i? Get outta here! I like mah carburetor! It's like having a lil muscle car engine, the way it sounds like its trying to catch its breath everytime I haven't started it up for at least 24 hrs. There were plenty F4i's for sell, but there is just somethin' ol' skoolz about the F4
Old 08-19-2008, 11:04 AM   #19
GABRIEL

Put an f4i tail section on it?

Advertisement