MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2008, 12:51 PM   #1
Croe
Kogasamaru (Fate changer)

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
Kawasaki 08 z1000

Send a message via Yahoo to Croe
Lightbulb first time caught in a heavy rain

I haven't Benn riding that long ussually i know its gonna rain before or i just take the cage. Today when i looked up i saw nothing i figured it wasnt gonna rain at all. So i think to myself " heck yeah this is a good time to head down to the store and grab some odds and ends"

when i get down there the sky is dark but its not raining i figure i can get in and get out and get caught in a drizzle. So im walking out the store and its drizzling i laugh get ready to go and a guy walks up to me he looks at me nods and says "be carfull out there man i ride one of those to" i tilt my head to the side surely he doesn't mean this...this drizzle. So i start riding home its all good i get about halfway and im approching a stop light all i see is white its raining hard as .So i roll up to a red light instantly soaked and all i can do is laugh here i am sitting at a red light soaked i should be scared but i think it will be fun to try riding like this so i start riding. Omg i underestimated rain on a bike soon im going super slow cars are passing me because i cant see whats ahead of me im getting pelted all over by rain and not to mention i ride with my jacket open so my phone and mp3 player are wet to.The whole time im just laughing i dont know why it made me worry but it was fun, although its not something im gonna rush out to do again i know that if it ever happenes again i can handle it. Do any of you remember the first time you got caught in heavy rain?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Heavy Rain. hotcknstrips Off Topic 3 02-24-2010 12:12 AM
Riding through deep water/Heavy rain MadseasoN How To's and Q & A's 18 07-12-2007 03:53 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-17-2008, 01:09 PM   #2
Myrdok
Dude No Longer With a POS

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
02 Suz Katana 750 (Sold)
09 CBR600rr

yeah i was in nice cloths because i had to waiter a wedding reception that night

She's had 5 kids. You could pound a summer sausage in there with a Peterbilt and still have room to parallel park a Jetta. I'm pretty sure knocking on the tradesman's entrance isn't going to get you sent to the penalty box.
Myrdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 01:15 PM   #3
The Black Sheepdog
Derp

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
09 600RA
06 F4i
fiddy

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to The Black Sheepdog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croe View Post
I haven't Benn riding that long ussually i know its gonna rain before or i just take the cage. Today when i looked up i saw nothing i figured it wasnt gonna rain at all. So i think to myself " heck yeah this is a good time to head down to the store and grab some odds and ends"

when i get down there the sky is dark but its not raining i figure i can get in and get out and get caught in a drizzle. So im walking out the store and its drizzling i laugh get ready to go and a guy walks up to me he looks at me nods and says "be carfull out there man i ride one of those to" i tilt my head to the side surely he doesn't mean this...this drizzle. So i start riding home its all good i get about halfway and im approching a stop light all i see is white its raining hard as .So i roll up to a red light instantly soaked and all i can do is laugh here i am sitting at a red light soaked i should be scared but i think it will be fun to try riding like this so i start riding. Omg i underestimated rain on a bike soon im going super slow cars are passing me because i cant see whats ahead of me im getting pelted all over by rain and not to mention i ride with my jacket open so my phone and mp3 player are wet to.The whole time im just laughing i dont know why it made me worry but it was fun, although its not something im gonna rush out to do again i know that if it ever happenes again i can handle it. Do any of you remember the first time you got caught in heavy rain?
Yup, my first time was pretty similar to that. When I rode to work, the sky was bright and sunny, but by the time I got off, the sky was near black. Rain started pouring almost as soon as I got on the road.
Old 08-17-2008, 01:24 PM   #4
C.Hern5972
Street Ninja Four Father

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
96 ZX7R 37k miles and still strong
2007 HD Softail
2002 Springer Classic
2007 GSXR600

Member Garage

This has been along time ago, we were on a ride and ended up on 105 and 45. We started catchign rain about 3 miles before downtown and it poured on us until we hit pearland. man it was the most miserable ride ever.

Also coming home from a ride on the south side. on 35 and 332. all the way home it came down hard.

Chris H
"I dont follow rules to well"
C.Hern5972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 01:29 PM   #5
matemike
Grip it 'n' Rip it!

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR 750
2007 GSXR 600...tracked out

Member Garage

Ya, at my msf course it was downpouring in November...pretty burrrrr!
Since then, just some showers here and there, nothing like a complete white-out or anything.
Old 08-17-2008, 01:31 PM   #6
Urban Ninja
Phuc Dat

Bike(s):
Yamaha FZR600

Doppler radar is your friend.
Urban Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 01:41 PM   #7
H2447INTX
H2447INTX-he is legendary

Feedback Rating: (12)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2011 kingquad 750axi
08 H.D.Softail Deluxe

Member Garage

My first time !

we are out rideing and no rain in site at all beautiful day, and we are comeing down cow creek rd and wam , it just starts pouring, lasted about 15 min, hard hard rain, any way it stop so we just kept ridieng till we dryed off!

REMEMBER THOUGH THE ROADS ARE THE SLICKEST WHEN THE RAIN FIRST STARTS , THE WATER BRINGS THE OILS UP OFF THE RAOD!

AFTER A LITTLE WILE THE WATER WASHES IT OFF THE ROAD AND ITS NOT SO BAD AS FAR AS TRACKTION IN RAIN, THIS GOES FOR CARS TOO!

so that lite drizzle you wher not so worryed about , that is when it will get you , ride safe!

rideing in the rain for me is not a matter of fear or going down, if you go slow and dont act a fool, it realy a matter of do i want to get wet or not!
Old 08-17-2008, 01:42 PM   #8
train460
speed junky

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
88 v-max
05 Honda Goldwing
85 V-max (wifes)
05 Vtx 1300 (wifes)

stash u a ziplock bag under the seat or wherever u have a little storage. use it to put your cell phone in when it does start to rain.
later
Michael
88 v-max
train460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 01:43 PM   #9
AliceInChains02

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
nada

i got caught in a bad storm on the way to last year's MH bbq. one of my spark plugs got swamped in water and died on me on the beltway, about an hour from home. it wasn't fun. don't hesitate to pull over if the rain's too bad though.
AliceInChains02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 01:45 PM   #10
H2447INTX

Bike(s):
2011 kingquad 750axi
08 H.D.Softail Deluxe

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceInChains02 View Post
i got caught in a bad storm on the way to last year's MH bbq. one of my spark plugs got swamped in water and died on me on the beltway, about an hour from home. it wasn't fun. don't hesitate to pull over if the rain's too bad though.
i dont think it should do that you might want to look into new plug wires!

but yea if you do not feal comfortable in the rain just stop and hang out a bit!
Old 08-17-2008, 01:46 PM   #11
Squoddybody
This is me.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

Believe it or not, the first time I was caught in rain was with my sister on my first ride around the neighborhood after getting my license. It was okay- not as bad as I imagined it would be, and the rain cooled us off, too.

follow me on IG - squoddybody
Squoddybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 01:55 PM   #12
Croe
Kogasamaru (Fate changer)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
Kawasaki 08 z1000

Send a message via Yahoo to Croe
Quote:
Originally Posted by train460 View Post
stash u a ziplock bag under the seat or wherever u have a little storage. use it to put your cell phone in when it does start to rain.
later
Michael
thats a pretty good idea i should have used my trunk space. I knew about the road wash off it had been drizzling a lil bit before i got out there and i had thought if it was gonna wash off it would have. I should have stopped i was just wanting to get back. this kinda stuff makes me wanna Rain X my visor ^_^
Old 08-17-2008, 02:38 PM   #13
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

The best way to dry off after getting soaked is to ride and "air dry" As far as helmet visors, the Suomy spec 1R extreeme comes with a water resistant visor so it sheds water easier, and it works! If you don't have a Suomy you could try these:

tiatool is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 02:51 PM   #14
H2447INTX

Bike(s):
2011 kingquad 750axi
08 H.D.Softail Deluxe

Member Garage

i find that if you just turn your head a little to the left and then to the right it will come off , i have used rain ex as well, works with cool foggy mornings as well!
Old 08-17-2008, 03:33 PM   #15
Bigmarky
Funny saying goes here

Bike(s):
non running sv650 :(

once u get used to getting rained on its no big deal

the only thing that sux is when yer doing 70 on the freeway and it starts to rain - thats just never fun....
Bigmarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 03:49 PM   #16
boss-hog

Bike(s):
Yamaha Yzf600R

every time it starts to rain when i ride i go straight to a convienent store and ask for a plastic bag for my wallet and cell phone...always works
boss-hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 04:03 PM   #17
ar1300

Bike(s):
05 hayabusa
125cc dirt bike
50cc cag dirt bike

1st time rode beltway 8 45 to 225. after awhile it got easier. 2nd time riding 2up on 225. i was laughing the whole time. gf wasnt to happy. i had to ride home to get the car. just have to worry about stupid drivers.
Old 08-17-2008, 04:11 PM   #18
AliceInChains02

Bike(s):
nada

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2447INTX View Post
i dont think it should do that you might want to look into new plug wires!

but yea if you do not feal comfortable in the rain just stop and hang out a bit!
i've read that it's a common problem in the sv650 because of the position of the plugs.
Old 08-17-2008, 04:12 PM   #19
AliceInChains02

Bike(s):
nada

Quote:
i find that if you just turn your head a little to the left and then to the right it will come off
+1
Old 08-17-2008, 04:28 PM   #20
Deano3090
Dino Racing

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2012 YZF-R1 - (Race)
2009 GSXR 750 - (Race)
2007 GSXR 750 - (Race)
2003 CRF450 Motard (Race)
2005 CRF100 Motard (Race)

Quote:
My first time !

we are out rideing and no rain in site at all beautiful day, and we are comeing down cow creek rd and wam , it just starts pouring, lasted about 15 min, hard hard rain, any way it stop so we just kept ridieng till we dryed off!

REMEMBER THOUGH THE ROADS ARE THE SLICKEST WHEN THE RAIN FIRST STARTS , THE WATER BRINGS THE OILS UP OFF THE RAOD!

AFTER A LITTLE WILE THE WATER WASHES IT OFF THE ROAD AND ITS NOT SO BAD AS FAR AS TRACKTION IN RAIN, THIS GOES FOR CARS TOO!

so that lite drizzle you wher not so worryed about , that is when it will get you , ride safe!

rideing in the rain for me is not a matter of fear or going down, if you go slow and dont act a fool, it realy a matter of do i want to get wet or not!
True that...... some other points to think about in the rain.

BE CAREFUL OF:
PAINT (lines on the road, at stop lights/signs, etc.)
METAL (rail road crossings, manhole covers, etc.)
CONCRETE ROADS WITH THE LARGE SMOOTH PEBBLES (my neighborhood is bad when the roads are wet)

When wet, they can all bite ya.

My first time in the rain was actually very welcome. Very hot day and a very long ride. We were on the way home on some long straight back highway, so I didn't have too many worries and it was nice to be cooled off.

The rain I got caught in Saturday was the worst so far. It had some pretty sketchy spots, visor fogged up on the inside, and bug guts on the outside. I ended up pulling over and waiting it out.
www.SCRaceCenter.com - www.P-1Race.com - www.DNPAmericas.com - www.GoPro.com
www.amsoil.com - www.racerglovesusa.com - www.VPRacingFuels.com - www.SidiSport.com
Deano3090 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement