Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2008, 07:58 AM   #1
TxBritt08R1
Saved By Grace

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2008 R1 - Sold!
2004 R6 - Sold!
2004 FZ6 - Sold!

Send a message via MSN to TxBritt08R1
Rattlecan Black

I saw a picture of a Thundercat yesterday that was painted all flat black. How do you go about prepping the paint surface ( like the tank ) for paint so the don't peel? My bike is red, but she's not looking as good as she once did. Do you think an R6 will look as good as that 600r did blacked out?

Thanks,

Britt
For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23
Originally Posted by Sifu-TZ
...I'm glad it's such a boring sport, what would it be like if they watched something a little more interesting, like football? they'd just spontaneously combust on the spot...
TxBritt08R1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Black On Black Law Enforcement Bevo Off Topic 86 01-26-2015 01:44 PM
Black on black RACER X The Circus 5 10-30-2014 01:08 AM
Once you go black........... wiayeman Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing 4 04-03-2010 09:18 AM
What do you guys think? Black on black 24" wheels roro Off Topic 23 08-20-2005 02:43 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-14-2008, 08:02 AM   #2
C.Hern5972
Street Ninja Four Father

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
96 ZX7R 37k miles and still strong
2007 HD Softail
2002 Springer Classic
2007 GSXR600

Member Garage

do it.

pull the tank sand it, primer it and spray it.

Chris H
"I dont follow rules to well"
C.Hern5972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 08:08 AM   #3
jmcdomino

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 6

do it remember painting is 90% prep. take your time prep it right and everything else will look great
jmcdomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 08:21 AM   #4
UNKNOWN_DJ
MONKEY

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
HONDA CRF50
03' GSXR 750 - True Method

Send a message via Yahoo to UNKNOWN_DJ
Well if you are going to paint it just wetsand the paint until it is all glazed over solid. You will see clear spots in it as you start to sand it down. Just get a wetsand block from an auto part store and a few packages of wetsand paper. Then once you do that you can get a can of surface prep which I am sure is there in the paint dept. as well. Wipe it down and let it dry then go at it with painting it. You know they do make flat paint kits so it will last a bit longer in the sun. Rattle can paint will fade much faster then the actual top coat that you can buy for a car. If you know where an auto paint store is ask them for the hot rod paint kit and get you a quart kit. That will be enough to paint the bike and just find someone to shoot it for you. Shouldn't cost a whole lot to paint it. Here is what it looks like when your done with it color of black will vary on the brand you go with. Here is a truck I did here earlier this summer for one guy.
Before:
Rattlecan Black
After:
Rattlecan Black
Old 08-14-2008, 08:24 AM   #5
C.Hern5972
Street Ninja Four Father

Bike(s):
96 ZX7R 37k miles and still strong
2007 HD Softail
2002 Springer Classic
2007 GSXR600

Member Garage

hey your just around the corner from us. just a thought too. my dad owns a paint and body shop. i can see what he will do it for you as well.

Chris H
"I dont follow rules to well"
C.Hern5972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 08:51 AM   #6
MudBug
Banned

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage

User is banned

MudBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 08:53 AM   #7
arturo3rd
OG Sheriff/ Boss

Bike(s):
2015 HD Forty Eight

do light coats!!!
Old 08-14-2008, 08:56 AM   #8
UNKNOWN_DJ
MONKEY

Bike(s):
HONDA CRF50

If you rattle can it I have came into problems doing light coats. They don't come out really even. I ussually do light coats to cover then one heavier coat to even it out nice. I had to do that to the truck also since it woudl come out a dry looking flat black. I was going for a slick flat color.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:02 AM   #9
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNKNOWN_DJ View Post
Well if you are going to paint it just wetsand the paint until it is all glazed over solid. You will see clear spots in it as you start to sand it down. Just get a wetsand block from an auto part store and a few packages of wetsand paper. Then once you do that you can get a can of surface prep which I am sure is there in the paint dept. as well. Wipe it down and let it dry then go at it with painting it. You know they do make flat paint kits so it will last a bit longer in the sun. Rattle can paint will fade much faster then the actual top coat that you can buy for a car. If you know where an auto paint store is ask them for the hot rod paint kit and get you a quart kit. That will be enough to paint the bike and just find someone to shoot it for you. Shouldn't cost a whole lot to paint it. Here is what it looks like when your done with it color of black will vary on the brand you go with. Here is a truck I did here earlier this summer for one guy.
Before:
Rattlecan Black
After:
Rattlecan Black

You painted that whole truck with rattle cans?

or the hot rod paint kit?
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 09:07 AM   #10
UNKNOWN_DJ
MONKEY

Bike(s):
HONDA CRF50

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck View Post
You painted that whole truck with rattle cans?

or the hot rod paint kit?
It was with the paint kit. I wasn't about to do the truck with rattle can. I was just showing what the kit can make it look like. I of course added a little bit of black paint in there to give it a draker tint. That is all shot with a spray gun.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:20 AM   #11
TxBritt08R1
Saved By Grace

Bike(s):
2008 R1 - Sold!
2004 R6 - Sold!
2004 FZ6 - Sold!

So.....rattlecan flat will fade, thats the consensus? How long are we talking about? This is a daily driver.
For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23
...I'm glad it's such a boring sport, what would it be like if they watched something a little more interesting, like football? they'd just spontaneously combust on the spot...
Old 08-14-2008, 09:31 AM   #12
UNKNOWN_DJ
MONKEY

Bike(s):
HONDA CRF50

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBritt04R6 View Post
So.....rattlecan flat will fade, thats the consensus? How long are we talking about? This is a daily driver.
Well all flats are going to fade being in the sun no matter what so don't think that it is never going to fade no matter what way you go. I was talking to one guy over at ppg in soho. He was talking about just primer paint sprayed on maybe lasting six months. The top coat will last longer with the hot rod kit. The rattle can I know doesn't last more then a couple of months. I see fading start to show especially now we are in the hottest part of the yr. That sun will fade the paint with the heat beating down on it. I am just saying the extra bucks will save you more time and work later on in the future. If it is a daily the only thing I could suggest is keep it in the shade and invest in cover if you can't put it in shade. That will help hold it up longer. You might want to talk to tom also I know he does this for a living. I only do this as a hobby for my custom toys. I am just saying you can get away much cheaper by rattle can but it will fade faster then the kit will. The kit is designed to be on top of everything and hold up to the elements. Primers and other cans I don't think are made to hold up as well.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:40 AM   #13
Mrs. ~T~
formerly known as C 1/2

Feedback Rating: (8)

Bike(s):
2006 GSXR 600

Send a message via AIM to Mrs. ~T~
my baby only sees the sun when im riding her, otherwise she is in the shade!!! dont want her getting hot...

i would assume that fading paint would take a long period of time to happen with ALOT of sun exposure
Mrs. ~T~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 09:49 AM   #14
Houston'sK5
Banned

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Yellow Haro(Dave Mira Edition)
F4easy

Member Garage

User is banned

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	my bike.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	14239  
Houston'sK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 09:50 AM   #15
UNKNOWN_DJ
MONKEY

Bike(s):
HONDA CRF50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. ~T~ View Post
my baby only sees the sun when im riding her, otherwise she is in the shade!!! dont want her getting hot...

i would assume that fading paint would take a long period of time to happen with ALOT of sun exposure

Well like he was saying it's a daily. So will be exposed to the sun every day, I had a civic that was flat black and I had it for maybe three months or a bit more and it faded a few shades over that time. That was my daily driver also but I am just saying I had painted something flat black and it didn't hold up to long with the sun. Be much better doing the top coat. It will take some time but I am not sure if he is wanting to paint it every few months to keep the color that shade of black.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:56 AM   #16
Mrs. ~T~
formerly known as C 1/2

Feedback Rating: (8)

Bike(s):
2006 GSXR 600

Send a message via AIM to Mrs. ~T~
wow... i had no idea... thats crazy! just do gloss and cut out the BS. LOL seems worth it if you have to repaint 6 months down the line.
Mrs. ~T~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 09:59 AM   #17
UNKNOWN_DJ
MONKEY

Bike(s):
HONDA CRF50

Quote:
Originally Posted by k5gsxrman View Post
what stores sell the hot rod flat black kits...and the surface prep...i did my bike like 3 weeks ago...but its fading...i wanna sand it down and do it right....
check it out below: o yeah i think i did a fairly good job with the rattle cans...dont you think...lol
Yea they have a hot rod kit for it. If anyone want to look for it search "hot rod flat paint kits" I need to find the website you can get it in black and other color as well. I will find it and post it up on here for you guys looking in to the flats.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:00 AM   #18
TxBritt08R1
Saved By Grace

Bike(s):
2008 R1 - Sold!
2004 R6 - Sold!
2004 FZ6 - Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNKNOWN_DJ View Post
Well like he was saying it's a daily. So will be exposed to the sun every day, I had a civic that was flat black and I had it for maybe three months or a bit more and it faded a few shades over that time. That was my daily driver also but I am just saying I had painted something flat black and it didn't hold up to long with the sun. Be much better doing the top coat. It will take some time but I am not sure if he is wanting to paint it every few months to keep the color that shade of black.

I'd rather take the time and do it right, than have to rerattle every 3 weeks. I'll just find someone to shoot it. Its gotta be flatblack though, or I'll just leave it red.

Britt
Old 08-14-2008, 10:03 AM   #19
UNKNOWN_DJ
MONKEY

Bike(s):
HONDA CRF50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. ~T~ View Post
wow... i had no idea... thats crazy! just do gloss and cut out the BS. LOL seems worth it if you have to repaint 6 months down the line.
Well that is with the primer the top coat will last longer. I just think no mater what any kind of custom work like that is going to need the repaint. Looks good though in the end. If you can find someone to paint it for you for a good price it will not cost that much. If I was doing it you buy the paint if it was just a wet sand and paint I would do it for maybe 100-300 depending the work and prep time. Of course you would be having to buy the kit also on top of it. If it is someone that had to come back later once it fades it will be cheaper later in the future.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:08 AM   #20
UNKNOWN_DJ
MONKEY

Bike(s):
HONDA CRF50

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBritt04R6 View Post
I'd rather take the time and do it right, than have to rerattle every 3 weeks. I'll just find someone to shoot it. Its gotta be flatblack though, or I'll just leave it red.

Britt
What is wrong with the red paint you have. is it fading or something? if it is you could just buff it out to bring out some of the shine.