MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2008, 09:12 PM   #1
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Feedback Rating: (31)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Member Garage

DefensiveDriving Dismissial ?

When you get a ticket, if you have not taken Defensive Driving in the past 12 months, you can take defensive driving to lower the fine and keep the ticket off your record.

My question is 12 month from what date?

The date of the ticket?
The court date?
The date of the disposition?
The date of course completion?
The date the paperwork is due back to the courts?

My dilemma: Got a ticket on June 23. I have until the 18th of this month to take care of it. I was able to get a family member to pull my driving record at their work and it states filling date of driver safety course as August 31, 2007. But they said that does not mean that is the date I completed the course. Would it be best to request an extension from the courts and get a date after the 31st? Am I screwed? What should I do. I know we got some knowledgeable LEOs and lawyers on the boards and I can't find these answers elsewhere. Even the lady at the courthouse just says "last 12 months" won't clarify 12 months from when?

Any help guys?
Pyrofallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-12-2008, 09:14 PM   #2
Duck84
bikeless....at the moment

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
03 600rr--> sold

just pay $50 to a lwayer and get it re-scheudel or whatever for like 6 months then u know for sure its been 12 months aaargrgggg
Duck84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:16 PM   #3
lisiecki1
survivor of 7/4/08 ride..

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years

Member Garage

its 12 months from the last time you completed the course.
lisiecki1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:19 PM   #4
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisiecki1 View Post
its 12 months from the last time you completed the course.
ummmmm..i know this...i am saying 12 months til when???

cause if it is 12 months til you get another ticket then I cant

if it is 12 months from the time i have to turn in DD completion stuff for this ticket i will be fine

if it is 12 months til the courtdate, if i reschedule then i will be fine.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:23 PM   #5
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

basically its

$100 + Defensive Driving

OR

$200 + ($400 over the next 2 years for surcharge.)

OR

$250 for deferred adjudication + defensive driving since i am not 25
Old 08-13-2008, 12:10 AM   #6
lisiecki1
survivor of 7/4/08 ride..

Feedback Rating: (5)

Member Garage

oic....i think it's 12 months until you get another ticket......i'd get it deferred and go 90 days without getting stopped
lisiecki1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 12:12 AM   #7
BossLady
CMRA #898

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
'09 ZX6R

Member Garage

you can take defensive driving ONCE every 12 months. doesnt matter when you got the ticket or when youre deadline is. The day you complete the course your 12 mo clock starts running. I had 2 court dates days apart. Debated trying to take it once for both tickets... they specifically ask if youve even 'agreed' to take it in the last 12 mo with another court (in case thats what youre getting at/ its a no go)

On the same topic...
having trouble finding a motorcycle course. Surely we dont have to take the noob class, right??
I see several advanced classes but none say state certified. Dont understand why you can take cage defensive driving on the internet or at a comedy club but you have to physically take your bike somewhere and what.. ride around cones??
Old 08-13-2008, 12:12 AM   #8
Scatter

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 4-8 months

Quote:
oic....i think it's 12 months until you get another ticket......i'd get it deferred and go 90 days without getting stopped
yeah.... do that one Pyro!!!
Scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:29 AM   #9
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

Quote:
If this is the case then I can wait and take it for a month or so...seeing as I will have 90 days to complete it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatter View Post
yeah.... do that one Pyro!!!
Deferred costs more than the actual cost of the ticket and since I am under 25 I still have to take Defensive Driving either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossLady View Post
you can take defensive driving ONCE every 12 months. doesnt matter when you got the ticket or when youre deadline is. The day you complete the course your 12 mo clock starts running. I had 2 court dates days apart. Debated trying to take it once for both tickets... they specifically ask if youve even 'agreed' to take it in the last 12 mo with another court (in case thats what youre getting at/ its a no go)

On the same topic...
having trouble finding a motorcycle course. Surely we dont have to take the noob class, right??
I see several advanced classes but none say state certified. Dont understand why you can take cage defensive driving on the internet or at a comedy club but you have to physically take your bike somewhere and what.. ride around cones??
You know I have dealt with this too. Several courts have said take Motorcycle Defensive Driving....problem is I have yet to see a court that knows what this really is or where to find it. The only thing I could come to the conclusion of is BRC. And fck that ...BRC is $170. I argured with Pasadena for 2 months on this issue. They finally said just take regular defensive driving and we will accept it.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:41 AM   #10
Celine

Bike(s):
R1 (street)
SV650 (track)
CR80 (dirt)

As far as I know, it's the completion date of the last time you took defensive driving until the date of your ticket (not court date).
Two side notes:
Depends on the judge, but last time I got a ticket, I asked for defered and the judge said since I'm under 25, I could just do defensive driving. She was being nice.
I once got told i wasn't eligble, when I was. Turns out my driving record is incorrect, so make sure you keep your copy of the certificates, to prove when you took it.
Celine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 08:26 AM   #11
GQ*
Destiny's daddy!

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2008 Ninja 250r (sold)
2005 Suzuki SV650s (totaled)
2007 ZX6r (sold)

Member Garage

Yeah it's 12 months from the court date b/c doesn't the judge ask if you've taken it when you request it?
Old 08-13-2008, 09:59 AM   #12
BossLady
CMRA #898

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'09 ZX6R

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQ* View Post
Yeah it's 12 months from the court date b/c doesn't the judge ask if you've taken it when you request it?
yes, he does..or mine did. On the paperwork you sign (this goes for harris co and galveston co) if you have TAKEN or agreed to take def driving in the last 12. they dont ask your ticket date. When you comeback on your deadline they look at your driving record and the date you completed it is on your record. I have a speeding ticket from 2 months ago. My court date has been rescheduled for march 09. If I request def driving at that time they will look at my driving record back to March 08 and the

true though, the judge can do whatever he/ she wants. You can even take def driving more than once on a year if the judge allows it. Its not a law or anything. Just kind of a norm
Old 08-13-2008, 10:37 AM   #13
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Just run and you don't have to deal with all that nonsense.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:18 AM   #14
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
Just run and you don't have to deal with all that nonsense.
He cut my off and pulled in front of me then hit his brakes and lights. When I changed lanes to get to the side of the road, he jerked in front of me like I was gonna run or something.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:23 PM   #15
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrofallout View Post
He cut my off and pulled in front of me then hit his brakes and lights. When I changed lanes to get to the side of the road, he jerked in front of me like I was gonna run or something.

He must know you.

Advertisement