MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2008, 01:05 PM   #21
Waerloga
Guest
 
Posts: n/a







Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobey View Post
Fair enough. Then sell the Ninja and use that as a down payment. You might have more success financing 75% of the price versus 100% of the purchase.
I went in saying I have a downpayment of 2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretAgent View Post
NOt trying to be a jerk here, but you shouldn't be upgrading your bike to get yourself out of sticky situations. You shouldn't be putting yourself in those situations to begin with, regardless of what bike you're riding. Try upgrading your skills before upgrading your bike.
I understand, sometimes those can not be avoidable as on I-10 right after the I-45 ramp merge.
  Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Close call! DvlRacer Off Topic 6 02-09-2011 10:07 PM
CLOSE CALL! ormand General Discussion (Moto Related) 47 09-20-2010 07:43 AM
PC TECHS Needed: Seagate PCB Needed *Pic Inside* Los Off Topic 8 10-20-2009 09:45 PM
now this is a close call bentgixxer Off Topic 9 05-26-2007 10:19 PM
CLOSE CALL ratmzapa Off Topic 8 05-05-2006 07:25 AM
Advertisement
Old 08-11-2008, 01:20 PM   #22
SecretAgent
The one and only
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: SW Houston
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 1,986


Bike(s):
08 Harley FXDB Street Bob









Send a message via AIM to SecretAgent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waerloga View Post
I went in saying I have a downpayment of 2k



I understand, sometimes those can not be avoidable as on I-10 right after the I-45 ramp merge.
the situation is almost always avoidable. like, 99.9% of the time. it's all about looking ahead and anticipating what's going to happen. if you're scared about moving traffic, get in the lane farthest away and watch everything in front of you. stay away from 18 wheelers, never sit next to them. stay behind until there's room to pass, and then stay in front of them. that goes for all vehicles actually. never sit next to someone. you should always be able to change lanes in an emergency without hitting someone.
__________________
"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them - but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous. "
-Hunter S. Thompson
SecretAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 01:22 PM   #23
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?
 
RACER X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Richmond, Tx
Feedback Rating: (26)
Posts: 33,494

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold






we sold our '01 SV for $2500 and it was a great street bike.


+1 to what secretagent said, avoid the sit. vs blaming the bike.
__________________
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
2014 GROM
181cc's BABY!
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 01:22 PM   #24
Waerloga
Guest
 
Posts: n/a







Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretAgent View Post
the situation is almost always avoidable. like, 99.9% of the time. it's all about looking ahead and anticipating what's going to happen. if you're scared about moving traffic, get in the lane farthest away and watch everything in front of you. stay away from 18 wheelers, never sit next to them. stay behind until there's room to pass, and then stay in front of them. that goes for all vehicles actually. never sit next to someone. you should always be able to change lanes in an emergency without hitting someone.
Not sure if you understand the place I am talking about.

Coming from 45-North HOV lane onto I-10 West

HOV lane is merged with 45 traffic on the right, 100 yards later merged with traffic of I-10 on the left and Taylor street on the right. 100 more yards and right 2 lanes are exit only and everyone merges to the left.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 01:24 PM   #25
SecretAgent
The one and only
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: SW Houston
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 1,986


Bike(s):
08 Harley FXDB Street Bob









Send a message via AIM to SecretAgent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waerloga View Post
Not sure if you understand the place I am talking about.

Coming from 45-North HOV lane onto I-10 West

HOV lane is merged with 45 traffic on the right, 100 yards later merged with traffic of I-10 on the left and Taylor street on the right. 100 more yards and right 2 lanes are exit only and everyone merges to the left.
so you don't take the hov lane, or exit the exit previous and then get back on the freeway. it would probably add 5 minutes to your commute time, but you'd still be alive.

always avoidable, not always convienient, but neither is your funeral.
__________________
"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them - but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous. "
-Hunter S. Thompson
SecretAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 01:26 PM   #26
Waerloga
Guest
 
Posts: n/a







Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretAgent View Post
so you don't take the hov lane, or exit the exit previous and then get back on the freeway. it would probably add 5 minutes to your commute time, but you'd still be alive.

always avoidable, not always convienient, but neither is your funeral.
The only previous exit is Airline Dr. Which is where the 610-45 clusterfsck resides.

I see what you have to say, I'm just saying that some places/times bad situations are not as easily avoidable
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 01:33 PM   #27
SecretAgent
The one and only
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: SW Houston
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 1,986


Bike(s):
08 Harley FXDB Street Bob









Send a message via AIM to SecretAgent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waerloga View Post
The only previous exit is Airline Dr. Which is where the 610-45 clusterfsck resides.

I see what you have to say, I'm just saying that some places/times bad situations are not as easily avoidable
i'm trying to get you to see that, if you're uncomfortable with a situation, another bike isn't going to fix it. you need to keep yourself out of the situation to begin with.

if that 18-wheeler behind you hadn't been paying attention, you'd be nothing but a blood spot on the freeway right now because you put yourself in a situation that you shouldn't have been in. sure a faster bike would've have gotten you away, but that won't always be the case. the whole idea is to avoid those situations all together. regardless of how easy or hard it is to do, it's always harder to take a trip to the hospital, go to physical therapy, or contact your dentist for your dental records after they clean up your remains.

drop the excuses, and learn to be a better rider. if you plan on riding for a long time, you're going to come across many more of those situations, and luck isn't always going to be on your side, like it was today. hopefully you realize that sooner than later.

but i'll get off my soapbox now, stay safe!
__________________
"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them - but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous. "
-Hunter S. Thompson
SecretAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 01:38 PM   #28
Waerloga
Guest
 
Posts: n/a







Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretAgent View Post
i'm trying to get you to see that, if you're uncomfortable with a situation, another bike isn't going to fix it. you need to keep yourself out of the situation to begin with.

if that 18-wheeler behind you hadn't been paying attention, you'd be nothing but a blood spot on the freeway right now because you put yourself in a situation that you shouldn't have been in. sure a faster bike would've have gotten you away, but that won't always be the case. the whole idea is to avoid those situations all together. regardless of how easy or hard it is to do, it's always harder to take a trip to the hospital, go to physical therapy, or contact your dentist for your dental records after they clean up your remains.

drop the excuses, and learn to be a better rider. if you plan on riding for a long time, you're going to come across many more of those situations, and luck isn't always going to be on your side, like it was today. hopefully you realize that sooner than later.

but i'll get off my soapbox now, stay safe!
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 02:31 PM   #29
rhenriksen
Senior Member
 
rhenriksen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rice Military, Houston
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 983

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 GSXR-750 (sold)
'07 Bandit 1250
'03 CBR 600 racebike (parting out)
2013 Ducati Streetfighter 848
1984 Honda V65 Sabre (stolen)






While I agree that first & foremost safety is a result of the right attitude & training, I disagree that the options 'more power' and 'better riding skills' should be an either/or choice. Would you counsel that he ride around poor brakes with good riding skills, or a poor-handling bike with good riding skills, too?

The way I look at it, riding a motorcycle in city traffic is like bringing a knife to a gun fight. You're starting at a disadvantage. Aside from an alert, paranoid mindset, you have three attributes of your bike to use to try and overcome your inherent disadvantages:

braking
maneuvering
accelerating

A bike's comparative advantage over cars isn't braking, and it isn't maneuvering. It's acceleration. Why would you deprive yourself of that? A 250cc is definitely a good learner's bike, sure. But a 50 mile commute daily? If I was looking at putting myself at risk that much, five times/week, I'd want to maximize my odds.

Get more horsepower, *and* work to improve your paranoia (anticipate & avoid risky situations before they develop)
rhenriksen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 02:34 PM   #30
SecretAgent
The one and only
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: SW Houston
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 1,986


Bike(s):
08 Harley FXDB Street Bob









Send a message via AIM to SecretAgent
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhenriksen View Post
While I agree that first & foremost safety is a result of the right attitude & training, I disagree that the options 'more power' and 'better riding skills' should be an either/or choice. Would you counsel that he ride around poor brakes with good riding skills, or a poor-handling bike with good riding skills, too?

The way I look at it, riding a motorcycle in city traffic is like bringing a knife to a gun fight. You're starting at a disadvantage. Aside from an alert, paranoid mindset, you have three attributes of your bike to use to try and overcome your inherent disadvantages:

braking
maneuvering
accelerating

A bike's comparative advantage over cars isn't braking, and it isn't maneuvering. It's acceleration. Why would you deprive yourself of that? A 250cc is definitely a good learner's bike, sure. But a 50 mile commute daily? If I was looking at putting myself at risk that much, five times/week, I'd want to maximize my odds.

Get more horsepower, *and* work to improve your paranoia (anticipate & avoid risky situations before they develop)
i never said he shouldn't upgrade his bike, only that he shouldn't see upgrading his bike as the solution to his problem. my point was, his bike wasn't what caused him to be in his situation, it was his lack of forsight to avoid the situation altogether.
__________________
"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them - but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous. "
-Hunter S. Thompson
SecretAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 02:38 PM   #31
MudBug
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Most northern tip of the southside
Feedback Rating: (3)
Posts: 20,878

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250



Member Garage





User is banned

.
MudBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 04:48 PM   #32
Greg in H-town
Senior Member
 
Greg in H-town's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Klein, TX
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 346

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
'07 ZZR600









I know the part of 45 you mean - I grew up there. I hate going through that mess in a car, let alone being on a bike. I'd take side roads in - Fulton, Hardy, Yale, Shepherd ... anything but up the gut of one of the worst sections of 45.
Greg in H-town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 05:43 PM   #33
dirtyjerzy
Senior Member
 
dirtyjerzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Greenwood Forest
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 220


Bike(s):
'05 GSXR600









I swear people come online just to rip others apart... I hope they feel good when they go to sleep at night!
dirtyjerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 05:52 PM   #34
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.
 
Solracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Kemah Area
Feedback Rating: (9)
Posts: 28,875

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883



Member Garage


Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyjerzy View Post
I swear people come online just to rip others apart... I hope they feel good when they go to sleep at night!
um...where did this take place?
__________________
Chris
Solracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 07:14 PM   #35
Bizzach
Member
 
Bizzach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: League City
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 93

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
Yellow 2008 Kawa ZX-6R









Wow, I read this thread, and it's my story. I ride a 250 Ninja with 26k miles on it 35 miles each way to work every day, and I decided recently I wanted something bigger.
Just last week, I went into ACU credit union to see about financing on a bike (you don't need anything but $1 to open an acct), and even though my credit is decent, but not good, they approved me. So I'm actually in the process of getting another bike -- hopefully on Friday, I'll have my down payment on a 600.
And +1 on what everyone else said. It's hard to keep yourself out of harm's way, but just give yourself plenty of room between the guy in front of you, and constantly check your mirrors / blind spots.
Good luck with the bike man!
Bizzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:33 PM   #36
Rybo
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NW Houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 60


Bike(s):
2003 Ninja 250R









Quote:
Originally Posted by Waerloga View Post
By saving up say, $300 a month, that is still a 10-month wait. I don't wish to have another close call like that.
if your sig is right and you have ridden your 250 for almost 10k miles, upgrading shouldnt be a random thing you think about. Ive ridden mine for almost 3k miles and every time i get on it im reminded to save up to buy something better. But yeah riding a 250 on a hwy is glad your ok.
Rybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 06:16 AM   #37
Orion85
Senior Member
 
Orion85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Racers Road
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 180

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
07 ZX-6R









Quote:
Originally Posted by rhenriksen View Post
The way I look at it, riding a motorcycle in city traffic is like bringing a knife to a gun fight. You're starting at a disadvantage. Aside from an alert, paranoid mindset, you have three attributes of your bike to use to try and overcome your inherent disadvantages:

braking
maneuvering
accelerating

A bike's comparative advantage over cars isn't braking, and it isn't maneuvering. It's acceleration. Why would you deprive yourself of that? A 250cc is definitely a good learner's bike, sure. But a 50 mile commute daily? If I was looking at putting myself at risk that much, five times/week, I'd want to maximize my odds.
Before I post my retort, what do you mean by "comparative advantage"?
Orion85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 10:36 AM   #38
rhenriksen
Senior Member
 
rhenriksen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rice Military, Houston
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 983

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 GSXR-750 (sold)
'07 Bandit 1250
'03 CBR 600 racebike (parting out)
2013 Ducati Streetfighter 848
1984 Honda V65 Sabre (stolen)






http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparative_advantage

The biggest disparity between cars and bikes' performance isn't braking or maneuvering, it's acceleration. Depending on which examples of each category you pick, the bike might have an edge in all three categories, but its biggest advantage is going to be in acceleration. Assuming you get off of the 250 & onto something better suited for the task.
rhenriksen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:49 AM   #39
Orion85
Senior Member
 
Orion85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Racers Road
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 180

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
07 ZX-6R









I would think that the biggest advantage for a bike would be it's size. point in case he could have matched the rate of which the truck was coming into his lane, moving away from the truck toward the next lane an rode the white line (between two vehicles) until corrective action could be taken, try that in a car. Size or weight, is what gives the "edge in all three categories", however i will agree that there is also disadvantages from the smaller size, namely being less noticeable.

P.S. lets keep the uncommon word use to a minimum, I don't feel like finding my thesoarus (sp?), or going to another wikipdia page. (The biggest DIFFERENCE between cars and bikes' performance isn't braking or maneuvering, it's acceleration.) thanks
Orion85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 02:34 PM   #40
Bigmarky
Funny saying goes here
 
Bigmarky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 522

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
non running sv650 :(









what happened to good ole

`if u ain't got the cash you shouldn't be buying it`
(doesn't apply to a house obviously)

pay off the 250, start saving money then sell the 250 and buy a good highway commuter


the ninja250 shouldnt be on the freeway, its just too slow when u need power to get out of a bad situation

my .02
Bigmarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:56 AM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy