MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2008, 09:19 AM   #1
Waerloga

Member Garage

Close call + upgrage thread. Help needed. Bonus pic

I was looking to upgrade my Ninja 250 but this morning the urge is even stronger.
Little background. I ride to work every day 50 miles one way.
This morning I was on I-10 and quickly a bad situation formed. I was boxed in. An 80's Ford F250 Uber-mega-limo cab decided to change lanes right on top of me without looking.

Option 1: Brake and swerve. He would have still nailed me and turning while braking is not a good idea. Never mind the driver behind me who more than likely is not paying attention either.

Option 2: Open it to WOT. If you have never ridden a 250 with over 26k miles on the freeway, please understand that when you floor it, NOTHING happens. To accelerate you have to downshift and wait a while. Otherwise all you will get is some extra noise from the tailpipe.

Meanwhile the truck continues to change lanes and does not hear my horn as it is overwhelmed by the sound of redneck exhaust.
I thank that the 18-wheeler a little behind and to the left saw the situation and laid on his horns. I chose option #2

Now, I have been going around a few dealerships looking at some used more powerful bikes. I've looked at a SV650, F4i, etc. I really don't want a super sport bike. Just something with more power and more comfort.
Long story short all dealerships say: "Your young, you have very good credit and we see that you earn well enough to afford it, but nobody will finance you."

So WTF am I supposed to do? Even if I sell my sub- $2k car and can sell the bike for another $2k that is still not enough for anything reasonable. How does one go about financing a motorcycle in the world of circular logic credit?

On a lighter note:

thisiswhythisiswhythisiswhyimhothot
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Close call! DvlRacer Off Topic 6 02-09-2011 10:07 PM
CLOSE CALL! ormand General Discussion (Moto Related) 47 09-20-2010 07:43 AM
PC TECHS Needed: Seagate PCB Needed *Pic Inside* Los Off Topic 8 10-20-2009 09:45 PM
now this is a close call bentgixxer Off Topic 9 05-26-2007 10:19 PM
CLOSE CALL ratmzapa Off Topic 8 05-05-2006 07:25 AM
Advertisement
Old 08-11-2008, 09:25 AM   #2
Mrs. ~T~
formerly known as C 1/2

Feedback Rating: (8)

Bike(s):
2006 GSXR 600

Send a message via AIM to Mrs. ~T~
wow glad u are ok...
Mrs. ~T~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:32 AM   #3
JOEBUSA

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
'08 Busa 186 HP
'07 Raptor 700 (quad)
'09 CRF450R

Member Garage

Get in a credit union
JOEBUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:35 AM   #4
SiG239

Feedback Rating: (7)

glad your alright.

Have the dealerships actually tried to get you a loan or just feeding bullshit? My advice would be to find something you like and talk to your bank or find a credit union ( will have the lowest interest rate). If you have good credit there should be no reason to not be approved for a loan of some amount to get ya going.
SiG239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:46 AM   #5
Ulric
Dirty Old

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Stebel Airhorn...
Old 08-11-2008, 09:50 AM   #6
Waerloga

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiG239 View Post
glad your alright.

Have the dealerships actually tried to get you a loan or just feeding bullshit? My advice would be to find something you like and talk to your bank or find a credit union ( will have the lowest interest rate). If you have good credit there should be no reason to not be approved for a loan of some amount to get ya going.
Yes, they tried. And it comes back with not enough established credit.

Only thing I have behind me is revolving credit cards. And although those are always payed off on time, they want to see a house or car loan.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:26 AM   #7
GQ*
Destiny's daddy!

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2008 Ninja 250r (sold)
2005 Suzuki SV650s (totaled)
2007 ZX6r (sold)

Member Garage

Go to your bank or CU, they will give you a loan while most of the bike shops are going to try to get your a credit card and charge the bike (what they told me they wanted to do for me)

BTW I know exactly what you mean, I felt the same way after my first rush hour ride on the 610/290/I-10 interchange

I found that if you ride like your playing tag and all the cars are it you expect them to try to box you in and it doesn't happen as often
Old 08-11-2008, 10:31 AM   #8
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2006 Hayabusa (totaled)2007 Hayabusa, 2004 CRF 50

+1 on a credit union... that's how i got mine and i didn't have a car or house loan
sbfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 10:41 AM   #9
dirtyjerzy

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
'05 GSXR600

Credit union is probably your best bet... If you can't get approved for the bike loan; you most certainly won't get approved for a personal loan from your bank.

On a side note(I'm gonna get ripped apart for this): It is not always best to pay off a credit card at the end of the month. All that shows is you can afford what you purchased. They actually like to see that you can carry a balance and not miss payments.
dirtyjerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 10:49 AM   #10
b18c1ej8
semi-n00b

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2001 CBR 600 F4I

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyjerzy View Post
Credit union is probably your best bet... If you can't get approved for the bike loan; you most certainly won't get approved for a personal loan from your bank.

On a side note(I'm gonna get ripped apart for this): It is not always best to pay off a credit card at the end of the month. All that shows is you can afford what you purchased. They actually like to see that you can carry a balance and not miss payments.

yes the sad truth is paying interest is how you build credit so pay it all off except for a dollar and pay minimal interest charges, if you pay it off each month you will not build credit, neither do bills like cell phones and electric
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 10-6:30 Sat. 9-6
281 444 0545
patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com

Motorcycles Unlimited Sig1
b18c1ej8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 10:51 AM   #11
GQ*
Destiny's daddy!

Bike(s):
2008 Ninja 250r (sold)
2005 Suzuki SV650s (totaled)
2007 ZX6r (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyjerzy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by b18c1ej8 View Post
yes the sad truth is paying interest is how you build credit so pay it all off except for a dollar and pay minimal interest charges, if you pay it off each month you will not build credit, neither do bills like cell phones and electric
you have to pay to build credit...interest that is.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:01 AM   #12
dirtyjerzy

Bike(s):
'05 GSXR600

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQ* View Post
you have to pay to build credit...interest that is.
WOW!!! Someone finally agrees with me on the issue! My friends like to argue this all the time, but my credit is the and i have actually missed a payment here and there(usually cause the post office takes to f'n long to get it to them so it is a day or two late). Since switching to online payment I haven't had a problem.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:04 AM   #13
dirtyjerzy

Bike(s):
'05 GSXR600

Quote:
Originally Posted by b18c1ej8 View Post
Yes... pay your credit card bills before your electric, water, or cell phone! That don't get reported and you will know when they are fed up because they will turn off the water! Been there done that!
Old 08-11-2008, 11:20 AM   #14
Tobey

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
SV650, Vulcan 500

Did you ever consider paying cash for a used bike? For $3000 tops, you can find a nice running SV650 or similar. You won't get the latest and greatest 180 mph superbike for that money, but you can find something nice.

I paid $2300 for my 2000 SV650 with 35,000 miles on it. It's now over 40,000 miles and still runs strong. I even do an occasional track day on it.
Tobey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 11:24 AM   #15
Waerloga

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobey View Post
Did you ever consider paying cash for a used bike? For $3000 tops, you can find a nice running SV650 or similar. You won't get the latest and greatest 180 mph superbike for that money, but you can find something nice.

I paid $2300 for my 2000 SV650 with 35,000 miles on it. It's now over 40,000 miles and still runs strong. I even do an occasional track day on it.
By saving up say, $300 a month, that is still a 10-month wait. I don't wish to have another close call like that.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:29 AM   #16
Dreamer!!

Bike(s):
07 Ninja 250 (Sold), 93 CBR 900RR

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Dreamer!! Send a message via MSN to Dreamer!! Send a message via Yahoo to Dreamer!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waerloga View Post
By saving up say, $300 a month, that is still a 10-month wait. I don't wish to have another close call like that.
i understand that, trust me
Old 08-11-2008, 12:29 PM   #17
Tobey

Bike(s):
SV650, Vulcan 500

Fair enough. Then sell the Ninja and use that as a down payment. You might have more success financing 75% of the price versus 100% of the purchase.
Tobey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 12:36 PM   #18
Squoddybody
This is me.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

I have the same problem on my 250. I'm saving up cash for mine, though- I've financed plenty of things over the years, and being out of debt is the way to go!

follow me on IG - squoddybody
Squoddybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 12:37 PM   #19
SecretAgent
The one and only

Bike(s):
08 Harley FXDB Street Bob

Send a message via AIM to SecretAgent
NOt trying to be a jerk here, but you shouldn't be upgrading your bike to get yourself out of sticky situations. You shouldn't be putting yourself in those situations to begin with, regardless of what bike you're riding. Try upgrading your skills before upgrading your bike.
"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them - but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous. "
-Hunter S. Thompson
SecretAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 12:59 PM   #20
jfly
RIP Coach Dave

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
cbr 600 F3 LOR exhaust

Member Garage

im pretty sure I saw a yzf for 3500 on here that looked really good
Actual Riding Experience 10+ years
Quote:
I'll say this, he did a pretty decent job hanging with 3 liter bikes on 45 on his F3!!
jfly is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement