Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2008, 10:29 PM   #1
v4lu3s

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2003 CBR 600 F4i -- Sold

Member Garage

to mod for more power or not???

I have an 03 CBR F4i. Picked it up near 2 years ago, but just started riding it in May. Put on 2k mile so far, its my first bike as well. I have done another 350+ on bikes through work as well too, so I have a fair bit of saddle time for a newb. The problem I am having is I used to be a Honda car modding nut, spending well over $50k over the past 12 years on various hondas to go faster and handle better....

So anyway enough background, I got this CBR and am a fairly new rider. I have been putting a lot of K&N and ram air setups on Victory cruisers as well as power commanders and stuff....I am feeling the urge to put a slip on, filter and power commander on my bike. Obviously I am a long way from really pushing this bike to anywhere close to its limits...would I do better jsut going ahead and getting this out of the way...or would I be nuts to get more power before I can really do much with what i got? I kind of know the answer already...but logic does not always prevail!! any advice would be welcome!

of course on top of that i am just short of 4k on the bike and need to get new tires soon too!
v4lu3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My new Power Commander V. with turbo and power shifter Gixxer Geezer Health and Fitness 24 08-11-2011 01:52 PM
My new mod! P0wer1 General Discussion (Moto Related) 3 03-25-2010 03:58 PM
mod vs mod Tattoo Performance and Modifications 29 02-28-2010 12:04 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-08-2008, 10:39 PM   #2
SecretAgent
The one and only

Bike(s):
08 Harley FXDB Street Bob

Send a message via AIM to SecretAgent
the power gains won't really be that noticeable anyways, so you're not really increasing your chances of getting in over your head. however, 3 and a half months and 2350 miles of riding isn't a lot of seat time. so don't start getting cocky just yet.
"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them - but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous. "
-Hunter S. Thompson
SecretAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:41 PM   #3
pimp2303

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
78 Yamaha yz400, 07 Honda cr-f230,

Member Garage

i dont really see the point of spending 500+ on an exhaust system for about 5-6hp. just me. i can see doing a slip on for sound but nothing else unless. but im more into looks and not speed.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:47 PM   #4
v4lu3s

Bike(s):
2003 CBR 600 F4i -- Sold

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretAgent View Post
the power gains won't really be that noticeable anyways, so you're not really increasing your chances of getting in over your head. however, 3 and a half months and 2350 miles of riding isn't a lot of seat time. so don't start getting cocky just yet.
cool on the power not being much, that is somewhat reassuring, then again its not as if i can really handle what i have already.

in no way am i ready to get cocky, its just hard to break the modifying habit. with the cars it was just about everything EXCEPT for looks...
Old 08-08-2008, 10:49 PM   #5
v4lu3s

Bike(s):
2003 CBR 600 F4i -- Sold

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimp2303 View Post
i dont really see the point of spending 500+ on an exhaust system for about 5-6hp. just me. i can see doing a slip on for sound but nothing else unless. but im more into looks and not speed.
well i wont be spending that much, i work at a place that can get me a great discount...but its still quite a bit of money! I should focus on spending money on other stuff, like the new tires i need, a corbin seat (makes my longer rides a lot better, like to lufkin and stuff), an HID and so on...
Old 08-08-2008, 10:51 PM   #6
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
Ok, my turn!!!!

First... tune up; if its used, get the important stuff out of the way first. Need to have a solid foundation to work with.

Exhaust, as pimp2303 said, just do a slip on. Hit up ebay and find a steal on a slip on. The sound will make you feel better about the bike/speed/etc. Air filter is cheap and easy mod too.

Regardless of seat time, how do you want to ride? Do you commute w it or purely a pleasure bike? Wanna track? ride country roads? drag?...

Reason I ask, a track day (rent the leathers, pay or work a day for it) would be the best investment on money. Then you know which way you wanna go with the bike.

Wanna corner? good tires(dual or multi compound if you need mileage on the tires too.) braided lines for braking $80's, levers 180's, gel grips 8's, gear indicator 150's, speedohealer 100's... I can go on and on...

Wanna go faster on the street? sprocket down/up. You will lose a little top end but there is no need for concern unless you're doing highspeed laps or worried about the little bit of economy you'll lose... Basically regears your diff; if your chain is good, drop a tooth in the front so you can adjust out the chain vs replacing it.

Whatcha wanna do with it? Good versatile bike so your options are endless.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:52 PM   #7
tarosean

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
'99 ZX11/ '65 T120R/'93 Bandit

Upgrade the Rider first, then you MIGHT be able to use 50% of the bikes stock potential...
tarosean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 11:31 PM   #8
v4lu3s

Bike(s):
2003 CBR 600 F4i -- Sold

Member Garage

i ride everywhere for every reason, to and from work, for fun and to travel.
i would like to get more seat time for pleasure, but that will come as i get to know more people who are close to my skill.

the guys at work critique the wear marks on my rear tire to let me know i am getting the bike pretty far over, but its all lower speed stuff since i ride on the street. i think for now the muffler is more a look and sound thing, its not as if i am racing! regardless it looks as if i have a lot more to think about so at least i can spend a bit more time with getting better with the controls, and get those new tires, and maybe the seat, i figure anything that makes the ride better on my will help me ride more and longer and with more confidence.
Old 08-09-2008, 01:05 AM   #9
jrob
cheers

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
KTM 450 XC-F
DRZ 400 Kick/Motard Convert

i put 2250 on my bike in two weeks when i got it.
most important thing you can buy if you dont have it already, is GEAR. first thing that went on my bike is frame sliders and a tank pad. i already have two jackets, a back protector, new shoei, gloves and im getting boots as soon as i get home from this friggin boat.
after that, LIVE on your bike for awhile. get the feel of her. then like caligonetx said, decide what kind of riding you want to do. general concensus shows suspension upgrades to be the most important thing. just what ive heard. apparently theres a place called motorcycles unlimited somewhere that will tune your suspension for your weight and riding style for like $25. (if your bike has adjustable suspension) good luck.
Old 08-09-2008, 01:48 AM   #10
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

^^^^ All very good advice.

GEAR ALWAYS FIRST get a good helmet, jacket, gloves, boots, pants, and backprotector... your bike is replaceable. YOU ARE NOT

1. Get your suspension done Motorcycles Unlimited $25 and VERY worth it
2. A damper or steering stabilizer
3. Some super buns, either Pilot Powers or Roads JMO
4. Most will say sliders next, but my slider just punctured my engine, so buyer beware
5. Seat... Your comfort is important
6. Grips Renthal makes some nice cushy ones or Gel in general

I would start with that. When done come back and I'll get to the next 20 items before you need to jack with the exhaust.

Something else to think about if you want a deeper exhaust sound ect... is an aftermarket Y pipe and A&R baffles. Pretty cheap and easy mod.
tiatool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 02:02 AM   #11
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Feedback Rating: (13)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet
'89 Yamaha FZR400 Trackbike
'83 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk
'07 Step-2 (ok, it's my daughter's)

Upgrade the Rider is sage advise, along with the many above ^^^. But that doesn't mean you can't mod your bike to your heart's content! Whether it be for performance, an exercise in expressing your individuality, or anywhere in-between, it's all good.
FlipSideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 08:20 AM   #12
v4lu3s

Bike(s):
2003 CBR 600 F4i -- Sold

Member Garage

awesome advice, thanks everyone.

right now i have replaced almost all teh bodywork on the bike as well as left side controls and so on, bought it with a salvage title.
it has new framesliders, and hot bodies led flushmounts.

i have an icon helmet (looking at arai/shoei/suomy at work right now), fieldsheer jacket and gloves and jeans, cortech jacket, icon pants, sidi b2 boots.

Advertisement