MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2008, 11:30 PM   #1
MadMax143

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
A bunch of F2/F3s.

Hallett race report...

Sorry this is long...but alot happened.
CMRA-Hallett
7/25/08-Friday-Practice: Practice went ok. It was very hot. Not quite as humid as Houston was earlier this month. I haven’t ridden Hallett since 1998. That one didn’t count as I crashed on the first lap of practice in the corner known as ‘the ’. I am not making this up. I broke my collar bone and my bike without ever even completing 1 lap. I almost started believing I had a Hallett curse. We race here earlier this year although we were running the track the opposite direction that time.
Once I got out on the bike, I just took my time and tried to learn some lines. I got thru the section where I crashed without issues. After a few laps, I could see I was going to enjoy that set of turns.

7/26/08-Saturday-5hr Endurance Race: The good news is our endurance race was starting at 9am and would finish by 2pm! Should make things a little easier without all the heat…more on that later.
It was still hot. RadRick started the race and found a couple of fast ‘rabbits’ to chase. He was flying! It became obvious that our stints today would be short due to the heat. Rick had us running 10th overall and 5th in class. I took the 3rd stint. My laptimes weren’t near RadRick’s…but I was pretty pretty happy with my pace. I had a real good battle with Todd Fleeman on the #20 bike. I was able to inch up to him and tried to get by for 5 or 6 laps. There were a few times I could’ve really ‘stuffed’ him going into a turn, but I would’ve been way too close so I would tuck in behind him. I was finally able to make a very clean and safe pass (I have picture evidence!). I finished out my stint and passed the bike to my teammate. Things were going well at this point. I’m not sure where we were running at the time, but I know we were further up the board than we had been all year!
We got to about the 3rd hour (of 5). I was due to go out within about 20mins. I was just about to get geared up when an official came to our pits and told us our rider was down.
He got into the last turn a bit hot and ran off the track. The tire wall was looming and he crashed (in the grass) at about 20mph. Rider was ok. We could see him and they were trying to get the bike back to our pits.
Bike came back and the team went to work. The damage didn’t seem too bad. They slapped some duct tape on it and sent me out.
Riding a just-wrecked bike is EXTREMELY nerve wracking. I wanted to take a few laps and just make sure everything is alright, but all the other racers were still in full race mode. This isn’t the time to toodle. The bike seemed ok. I started to push a little harder. I got into ‘the ’ and my left handlebar moved about 2 inches! It was very interesting going thru ‘my corner’ with only 1 hand! Lucky it was close to pit entrance and I pulled in. The guys tightened up the bar and I went right back out. I rode a few more laps and the bike seemed fine. I looked at my gauges and saw the red oil pressure light on. I certainly didn’t want to blow up the motor, let alone have the engine seize and crash me! I pulled back into the pits.
The guys went back to work and found a crushed radiator pipe (the oil light doubles as a water pressure light). A member from another team donated a replacement pipe. The pipe got replaced and we sent another rider out. His stint was un-eventful.
RadRick went out next. After about 3 laps he pitted. He got up to speed and the bike tried to crash him. He was coming out of a very fast turn, hard on the gas when the back wheel stepped out HARD. He said he crashed but somehow never hit the ground. The back stepped out and threw him out of the seat while shacking the handlebars out of his hands! Somehow the bike righted itself and he was able to regain control.
We parked the bike at this point with about ½ hour to go.
Final standings were 20th overall and 6th in class.
After the race, I was beat. I had been getting sick and couldn’t keep anything down. After trying to cool off for a bit…things weren’t better. I ended up going to one of the on-site ambulances to get an IV and some fluids in me. The EMTs took great care of me and felt much better after about 30mins.
One of the best feelings I’ve had all season was when I climbed out of the ambulance. My team was under a shade tree waiting for me. True friends. Thank you!
I relaxed the rest of the evening. The following morning, I woke up, packed up and started the 9hr drive home. I was able to keep food down and made it home safe.
It was the team’s (and my) hardest race weekend this year. Let’s hope we got our bad race out of the way.
The next race is at Motor Sport Ranch in Cresson, TX on 8/23. Let’s go J.Ray McDermott #16!!!

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...ageID=34218599
MadMax143 is offline   Reply With Quote