Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2008, 08:13 PM   #21
Squoddybody
This is me.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
"Every now and then" really isn't an option for me. I'm either going to be having to drive full time or ride full time. There are enough "every now and then" and "do it on casual friday" comments in this thread that lead me to believe buying a car would be the smart choice. I'll keep my riding on the track.

I appreciate the info guys!
Boo. I commute daily and I always look nice.

follow me on IG - squoddybody
Squoddybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Turbochargers.com "Bad for business" flipstyledsm22 Off Topic 4 08-27-2009 10:29 PM
"trash the dress" location help... Mrs. ~T~ Off Topic 5 04-12-2008 05:24 AM
"Trash the Dress" Photo Shoot! *Photographer needed* Mrs. ~T~ Off Topic 83 03-04-2008 10:03 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-06-2008, 08:22 PM   #22
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

everyday. a bike wouldn't be feasible. IMO

getting to work totally dry would be very difficult.

if anything www.aerostitch.com
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 08:41 PM   #23
loosenoose
veteran novice

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

i come home soaked in sweat, but the ride to work is much nicer because i leave for my 20 or so minute ride at 6am. i have a uniform of bdu style pants and a really crappy purple polo shirt. i work in the montgomery county jail. we arent exactly know for our high standards, so if it's a hot or rainy morning, and i show up looking less than pristene... bah... f#$ it.
great professionalism, i know, right?
loosenoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 06:19 AM   #24
ST675
01101000 01101001

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
lots of bikes from 80cc to 1200cc
Current : ZX11
KX80

I ride every day. I am the IT manager for a company over near Greenspoint. I live out near Katy. And I wear Business Casual everyday M-T and jeans / polo on friday. I use my tourmaster suit everyday ( minus Friday, then its motorcycle jeans).

Getting to work is fine, in the AM it is a GREAT ride. The overpants help to keep my slacks looking good. But most are the Haggar lightweight "Spill / Water proof pants" they do not wrinkle at all.

get a tank bag! do not use a backpack. In this heat you will show up with sweat all down your back. By using the tank bang you allow the air to flow around your back keeping you MUCH cooler.

Keep a nice pair of shoes under your desk ( first day take them in the tank bag ) and keep your rain gear in your bag.

The shirts are kind a hit and miss for me. I have 1 that wrinkles no matter what, and a others that look good after riding.

So it is definitly do-able....
Old 08-07-2008, 07:12 AM   #25
CLETUS
Jungle Racing

Feedback Rating: (0)

I bought a luggage rack for the back of my bike. We are business casual and I am management so I have to watch how I dress. I roll my clothes and put them in a backpack. Patrick sells cargo nets that work perfect. I change in my office and change back before I leave.
So hot right now I kinda quit riding. I don't want to ride without a jacket on the freeway. Once it gets about 90F again, I will start back.
I work in Greenspoint and live in Cypress so the commute is about 15 to 20 minutes on the bike on 249 and BW8.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:19 AM   #26
Angamico
Range Target

Bike(s):
YZF600R
TigerEX1200

I commute every day 40 miles each way in full gear. Full gear = jacket + overpants + gloves + boots + full face helmet. Keep shoes at work and a change of clothes in case you need it. This summer, I switched to full leather. Still better than driving. The ride home is where things can get nasty. In the morning, don't put on your gear until the last moment.
Angamico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 07:36 AM   #27
JRxGRUBZx

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
O-six six durty six (r.i.p)
07 zx6r (rip)
o-five six durty six (rip)
01 f4i - yes yes im a trader .

Quote:
For those of you that commute on your motorcycles, do any of you have to dress up "nice" for work? I used to commute when I wore jeans and a t-shirt, but now i'm considering doing it in a corporate setting. I'm not convinced that showing up sweaty as and/or with wet and wrinkled dress slacks is going to fly well. Let me know how you deal with it.
hey i ride every day to work ... all i do is throw my jacket over my shirt (yes it gets a little sweaty but in the morning i just dont care ) and for my pants they dont wrinkly .... i saw a guy today with his dress shoes on going to work haha .. i keep mine in my back pack ... do whatever you want ... if you dont want to get to work a lil sweaty dont do it ..
JRxGRUBZx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 07:38 AM   #28
keoniboy70

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2005 Kawasaki ZX6R (SOLD)
2006 GSXR 750 (SOLD)
2009 ZX6R (SOLD)

Member Garage

I ride in from the west side to the Galleria. I do the t shirt thing too and have a shirt in my backpack. My dress shoes are in my desk at work and i have an extra set of clothes in my desk just in case. I ride in fully geared and change in the mens room. works fine for me.
keoniboy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 08:14 AM   #29
rideForrestride

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
'08 ZX10R - The Mistress

I leave my shoes at work and use a booksack to bring my business clothes back and forth each day. I just change at the office.
rideForrestride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 08:32 AM   #30
PB125

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2008 Suzuki GSXR 750
2002 Suzuki SV650

I ride just about every day and I have to dress business casual at work. I wear jeans and a t-shirt to work and change in the locker room. I just pack my work clothes nicely in my back pack and never worry about wrinkles. Cologne, face wash and an undershirt help. Keep a towel handy, too.
I leave about 720 AM and get ther by about 750 AM. Still cool out. On the way home about 4ish PM it's blistering hot but no biggie. The gas savings alone is worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bueller View Post
they say you drive like a mad man
PB125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 08:37 AM   #31
Cherub
FTP

Bike(s):
06 Raven R6

Member Garage

Send a message via MSN to Cherub Send a message via Yahoo to Cherub
im at work early so the ride in isnt bad. Its the ride in the afternoon that sucks

~Dream as if you live forever. Live as if you die today~ James Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifu-TZ View Post
It makes me cry, but real tears not the ones out of my like usual.
Cherub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:00 AM   #32
RU55ELL

Experience: 9-12 months

Bike(s):
2003 CBR 600RR

Send a message via AIM to RU55ELL Send a message via Yahoo to RU55ELL
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideForrestride View Post
I leave my shoes at work and use a booksack to bring my business clothes back and forth each day. I just change at the office.
I do the same.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:14 AM   #33
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
What about theft? Is it a concern to any of you commuters that your bike is sitting in an open parking lot unattended for 8-10 hours at a time not in your direct line of sight?
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:25 AM   #34
rhenriksen

Bike(s):
'07 GSXR-750 (sold)
'07 Bandit 1250
'03 CBR 600 racebike (parting out)
2013 Ducati Streetfighter 848
1984 Honda V65 Sabre (stolen)

Quote:
What about theft? Is it a concern to any of you commuters that your bike is sitting in an open parking lot unattended for 8-10 hours at a time not in your direct line of sight?
That's one of the reasons I didn't buy a Ducati. I don't have a 40 hour/week job at one fixed office; I run around to different clients (mostly w/in the loop) visiting a few hours here & there, or park it at my own office. And wanted to be able to run errands, go to the movies, etc without sweating leaving a **nice** bike unattended.

So I bought a Suzuki instead (and not a sportbike). Have comprehensive insurance, and no big emotional attachment to it. Much more relaxing!
rhenriksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:28 AM   #35
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhenriksen View Post
That's one of the reasons I didn't buy a Ducati. I don't have a 40 hour/week job at one fixed office; I run around to different clients (mostly w/in the loop) visiting a few hours here & there, or park it at my own office. And wanted to be able to run errands, go to the movies, etc without sweating leaving a **nice** bike unattended.

So I bought a Suzuki instead (and not a sportbike). Have comprehensive insurance, and no big emotional attachment to it. Much more relaxing!
I definetly wouldn't be getting an R bike to commute on, but both a Ducati Monster and an Aprilia Tuono are on the list of possibilities.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:50 AM   #36
rideForrestride

Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
'08 ZX10R - The Mistress

Quote:
Nope, I have theft on my bike and I use a Xena disc lock alarm. I park right up front by the door so if the alarm goes off there are people with windows right where my bike is parked. Also, people are in and out all day so I'm not worried.
rideForrestride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:58 AM   #37
JRxGRUBZx

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
O-six six durty six (r.i.p)
07 zx6r (rip)
o-five six durty six (rip)
01 f4i - yes yes im a trader .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherub View Post
im at work early so the ride in isnt bad. Its the ride in the afternoon that sucks
not if you ride the shoulder
JRxGRUBZx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 11:02 AM   #38
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave C View Post
don't ever wear light colored pants to work if riding. i've ruined two pairs now =( grease, dust or whatever the it's always something
+1 dark pants are your friend.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:17 AM   #39
CLETUS
Jungle Racing

It's like Fort Knox overhere. You aren't coming and going without ID and badges. The moto-parking six lots at the front of the garage and there is a camaera mounted directly across with security about 20 paces from the bike parking. The only issue is getting here early enough to get a bike spot. Lots of people ride.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:34 AM   #40
Zapata
a.k.a Dos Equis

Bike(s):
'13 Victory Cross Country
'13 Victory Judge

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
White t-shirts under whatever shirt you are wearing. If you can get away with it, don't tuck the top shirt in on the ride in -- allows for better air flow and the t-shirt absorbs.

Dark slacks - wrinkle free & cotton.

Keep a pair of shoes at work.

Good cologne - nothing too tacky (no old spice, no brut, no axe). Can either put it on at home, or keep some in the office. If at the office, use very little.

An rubbing alcohol and water mister - spray on, wipe off, smell is of faint rubbing alcohol only (no stench).
All that is exactly what I do but the alcohol. Also I carry a couple of small towels to wipe my face and head while I'm still in the parking garage, before getting to my desk I stop by on the restroom to splash some water on my face, dry it and use some cologne. I have always use white under shirts (100% cotton) and that helps with the sweating. I also keep in my desk one pair of brown dressing shoes and one pair of black shoes.
Zapata is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement