MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2008, 05:18 PM   #41
BlackWidow
The Doctor

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
A Ducati
A KaToom
Several Yamahas...
Some Kawis
No HONDAS! ;)

Send a message via AIM to BlackWidow
You all totally killed the thread....

The Riders have "TakeOffs". Ever heard of em? I used 4 of em in a 4 Hour RAIN race @ Denton last month. Needless to say, everytime I could'nt see, I would tear one off - I could see clearly for the next couple minutes. I would use my glove as much as I could to clear the water from the shield (while racing), when it would get worse, I woudl just tear another one.

They are pretty cheap and very useful if you like riding/racing in the rain.

As for MSRH.

Novice Lap Times (Track Day) should be from 1:55s-2:05s.
Noice Race Lap Times (Mid Pack) are from 1:50-1:55.
Noice Race Lap Times (Front Pack) are 1:45-1:50.

Experts are in the high 1:30s to low 1:40s.
Record is 1:32-1:34 I think.

On the Gold - given a decent rider (with the goldwing), 2:10 is totally reachable. It makes the same HP as a SS 600. An MSRH has some nice straights.

Good Luck Bill...

It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal...
BlackWidow is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oh he mad Bevo Off Topic 1 10-24-2014 09:01 PM
Don't be mad at the white people, be mad at the right people! RACER X The Circus 8 12-25-2013 10:21 AM
Does this make anyone else mad? Prodigy Off Topic 68 05-20-2009 09:33 AM
Drag Racers Ain't REAL Racers ArturoC Taking it to the Track 0 05-24-2006 04:25 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-08-2008, 05:42 PM   #42
Irish
The Dogs Bollocks

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
06 Suzuki 750

Send a message via MSN to Irish
[QUOTE=BlackWidow;1366067]You all totally killed the thread....

Novice Race Lap Time (Front Pack) are 1:38 - 1:40.
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 06:27 PM   #43
RoadracerNC
Former Dragon Slayer

Experience: 8 years

Send a message via AIM to RoadracerNC
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWidow View Post
You all totally killed the thread....

The Riders have "TakeOffs". Ever heard of em? I used 4 of em in a 4 Hour RAIN race @ Denton last month. Needless to say, everytime I could'nt see, I would tear one off - I could see clearly for the next couple minutes. I would use my glove as much as I could to clear the water from the shield (while racing), when it would get worse, I woudl just tear another one.

They are pretty cheap and very useful if you like riding/racing in the rain.

As for MSRH.

Novice Lap Times (Track Day) should be from 1:55s-2:05s.
Noice Race Lap Times (Mid Pack) are from 1:50-1:55.

Experts are in the high 1:30s to low 1:40s.
Record is 1:32-1:34 I think.

On the Gold - given a decent rider (with the goldwing), 2:10 is totally reachable. It makes the same HP as a SS 600. An MSRH has some nice straights.

Good Luck Bill...
You've been around long enough to know that threads always get taken over.

But my apologies for contributing to the off topic posts.

Like I said, someone could probably speak a little more intelligently about lap times at MSRH then I. Black Widow hit the nail right on the head.

On topic: Do tear offs really help that much in the rain? I would think that once you ripped one off, it would get wet again right after? But I wouldn't know, I've never used them.........

But that guy in the picture looks like he needs more then just a few tear offs. He needs a dry race line and I'm sure a clean pair of shorts. Or maybe not........since he has the to be out there anyways.

-Adam
Old 08-09-2008, 03:43 AM   #44
you da man

Experience: 7 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadracerNC View Post
On topic: Do tear offs really help that much in the rain? I would think that once you ripped one off, it would get wet again right after? But I wouldn't know, I've never used them.........

-Adam
Tear-offs do nothing in rain. However, they can help some when it has stop raining and the track is drying and you get some dirty spray from a bike in front of you. Tear-offs are mainly for dirt riding for mud but on the track it could be beneficial for bugs and whatnot (especially those "love bugs"...the ones that are always in pairs, seems like they migrate in swarms).
you da man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 09:42 AM   #45
BlackWidow
The Doctor

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
A Ducati
A KaToom
Several Yamahas...
Some Kawis
No HONDAS! ;)

Send a message via AIM to BlackWidow
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadracerNC View Post
You've been around long enough to know that threads always get taken over.

But my apologies for contributing to the off topic posts.

Like I said, someone could probably speak a little more intelligently about lap times at MSRH then I. Black Widow hit the nail right on the head.

But that guy in the picture looks like he needs more then just a few tear offs. He needs a dry race line and I'm sure a clean pair of shorts. Or maybe not........since he has the to be out there anyways.

-Adam
Adam,

Tear Offs can be used for just about anything, rain, dirt, rubber from the person in front of you, bugs, etc etc.

The way I use tear offs in the rain is I'll put 4 on before an Endurance Race, rain in TX is usually intermittent, I'll ride in the rain and every lap or another lap I'll wipe my visor (on the straights) with my left hand, it'll act as a windshield, after repeating this several times - say 30 times or so, It'll sorta get a permanent "SMEAR" in places, at that point it's not the water that's bugging, but the smear. So I'll go ahead and take that rip the tear off, that ways during the race, you pretty much get a clean visor, without stopping to clean it . It's pretty clean and easy. You should try it.

Buy an AGV, they usually come with a pack of 4-8 free.

It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal...
BlackWidow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 02:35 PM   #46
RoadracerNC
Former Dragon Slayer

Experience: 8 years

Send a message via AIM to RoadracerNC
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWidow View Post
Adam,

Tear Offs can be used for just about anything, rain, dirt, rubber from the person in front of you, bugs, etc etc.

The way I use tear offs in the rain is I'll put 4 on before an Endurance Race, rain in TX is usually intermittent, I'll ride in the rain and every lap or another lap I'll wipe my visor (on the straights) with my left hand, it'll act as a windshield, after repeating this several times - say 30 times or so, It'll sorta get a permanent "SMEAR" in places, at that point it's not the water that's bugging, but the smear. So I'll go ahead and take that rip the tear off, that ways during the race, you pretty much get a clean visor, without stopping to clean it . It's pretty clean and easy. You should try it.

Buy an AGV, they usually come with a pack of 4-8 free.
Interesting.......... I didn't even think about the smear from the gloves. That's very true, it bothers the out of me. Or did when I was riding on the street. Haven't been in the rain for a while.

I'm sure an order for some tear offs will be due eventually. Espeacially when I start doing some local races next year.

Thanks for the low down, Blk. Widow.

-Adam
Old 08-12-2008, 01:28 AM   #47
Grinchy

Feedback Rating: (15)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'prila

some soggy images from a very wet BSB @ knockhill (Scotland).
Several riders are now using an orange tint visor in the wet as it helps spot the deeper water apparantly
I think Leon haslam was the first but we're seeing it more and more
Grinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 07:09 AM   #48
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
1 Windshield wipers huh? Well rossi doesn't have wipers on his shield...mute
2. Marker/brake lights again I have never seen them on sportbike except dr gonzo at msr houston. mute
3. All the money nascar has they can't buy rain tires or have somebody make them? Plus it will give their pit crew something else to do when they pit in to change em. mute

Maybe nascar drivers arent' gay they just don't have as big as as motorcycle riders do. Me on the other I hate in the rain because it is expensive to CRASH.
Totally agree. It is incredibly lame to have a race series that issues red flags at the first sign of rain. Ridiculous. As if a race with 2000 left hand turns and 1 right hand turn wasn't bad enough.

The stones on the MotoGP guys in the rain.... amazing.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:56 PM   #49
GSXR848
CMRA # 848

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
09 Kawi ZX-10 (Special Edition)
07 Suzuki GSXR 1000 (trackbike)
2006 Suzuki GSXR 600 (trackbike) SOLD
03 Yamaha R6 (track bike) SOLD
07 Yamaha YZ250F & YZ450F,

Hat's off to that dude. That's dedication. He will gain alot of riding technique.
GSXR848 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement