Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2008, 01:43 PM   #21
SecretAgent
The one and only
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: SW Houston
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 1,986


Bike(s):
08 Harley FXDB Street Bob









Send a message via AIM to SecretAgent
Quote:
Originally Posted by you da man View Post
Don't tell that to NASCAR, the gayest motorsport ever. When 4 drops of rain touch the track they pack it in and call the race.
that's because of several reasons, none of which are their sexual orientation.

1. they don't have windshield wipers
2. they don't have marker/brake lights
3. they don't have a spec or series approved rain tire (remember they run full slicks which get ZERO traction in any kind of rain.
__________________
"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them - but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous. "
-Hunter S. Thompson
SecretAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oh he mad Bevo Off Topic 1 10-24-2014 09:01 PM
Don't be mad at the white people, be mad at the right people! RACER X The Circus 8 12-25-2013 10:21 AM
Does this make anyone else mad? Prodigy Off Topic 68 05-20-2009 09:33 AM
Drag Racers Ain't REAL Racers ArturoC Taking it to the Track 0 05-24-2006 04:25 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-08-2008, 01:49 PM   #22
level5
moving chicane
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 5,825












Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretAgent View Post
that's because of several reasons, none of which are their sexual orientation.

1. they don't have windshield wipers
2. they don't have marker/brake lights
3. they don't have a spec or series approved rain tire (remember they run full slicks which get ZERO traction in any kind of rain.
Is that it?

level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 02:04 PM   #23
RoadracerNC
Former Dragon Slayer
 
RoadracerNC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pearland
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 7,250

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+











Send a message via AIM to RoadracerNC
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretAgent View Post
that's because of several reasons, none of which are their sexual orientation.

1. they don't have windshield wipers
2. they don't have marker/brake lights
3. they don't have a spec or series approved rain tire (remember they run full slicks which get ZERO traction in any kind of rain.

Well I don't mind that they don't, what ever the reason. NASCAR is already boring enough. I most certainly wouldn't want to watch them "driving" in the rain, let alone actually attend a NASCAR race and get rained on.

To that end, I would like to add that I most certainly wouldn't mind going to and watching a MotoGP race, in the dry, rain or anything else.

I wouldn't have a problem watching Rossi, Stoner, Pedrosa and company scream around the track while a 250lbs gorilla took a hot steamy on my head..........but that's me. Dedication man.........dedication.

-Adam
__________________
"The liberties of none are safe, unless the liberties of all are protected." -Justice William O. Douglas
NewSig2 1
RoadracerNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 02:14 PM   #24
gixxerbill
Senior Member
 
gixxerbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: North Corpus Christi
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 6,588

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper







Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadracerNC View Post
, "Who cares, my tires are hot from riding all day. The only thing I got to watch for is cars and Gold Wings taking it easy."
Hey why did you bring up goldwings with cages? Sheesh anytime I will ride with you in the twisties and keep up or pass you.


Quote:
this long line of harleys and gold wings. So I was lucky......to say.

Now you are lumping goldwings with harleys? You don't know anything about goldwings do you? Did you know they have 115 hp? That they can pop wheelies with power?
__________________
Sifu tz is the ultimate poser. He post on motohouston without owning a bike and he posts the corvette forum without owning a vette.... = LOSER!
gixxerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 02:30 PM   #25
RoadracerNC
Former Dragon Slayer
 
RoadracerNC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pearland
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 7,250

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+











Send a message via AIM to RoadracerNC
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
Hey why did you bring up goldwings with cages? Sheesh anytime I will ride with you in the twisties and keep up or pass you.





Now you are lumping goldwings with harleys? You don't know anything about goldwings do you? Did you know they have 115 hp? That they can pop wheelies with power?
Whoah Bill, take it easy. I'm not bashing any bike here brother. I know Gold Wings are quite capable, and I have seen people ride the out of worse. But Gold Wings are not exactly the fastest thing around the Dragon or anything that resembles a track, as you could probably imagine being a track rider yourself. It's a simple fact, not an opinion.

And I have no doubt you could keep up or pass me. I've been passed by you several times at MSRH. So you're right there brother. (Although I would have to strongly argue that if you were on a Gold Wing, you might find that to be difficult. Just to give myself a little credit, you know?) But I wasn't putting Gold Wings and Harleys into the same catagory. Just as you so eliquently stated, they are two very different beasts in terms of performance. I just said that there was a line of a few Gold Wings and Harleys on that last pass through the Dragon in the rain because......there was. I almost my pants when it started raining and I'm no stranger to the gap. So as you could guess, it's hard to imagine any right minded Gold Wing or Harley rider to get brave when it's cats a dogs on a stretch of road that's already known for taking the lives of many motorcycle riders. Hence, the long line of bikes taking it easy in the rain...........

I hope I didn't offend ya, Bill. I know you're quite the capable rider. (no sarcasim intended).

-Adam
__________________
"The liberties of none are safe, unless the liberties of all are protected." -Justice William O. Douglas
NewSig2 1

Last edited by RoadracerNC; 08-08-2008 at 02:32 PM.
RoadracerNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 02:30 PM   #26
JRxGRUBZx
.............
 
JRxGRUBZx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: h**town
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 14,325

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
O-six six durty six (r.i.p)
07 zx6r (rip)
o-five six durty six (rip)
01 f4i - yes yes im a trader .






sweet visor he has
JRxGRUBZx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 02:57 PM   #27
gixxerbill
Senior Member
 
gixxerbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: North Corpus Christi
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 6,588

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper







Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadracerNC View Post
Whoah Bill, take it easy. I'm not bashing any bike here brother. I know Gold Wings are quite capable, and I have seen people ride the out of worse. But Gold Wings are not exactly the fastest thing around the Dragon or anything that resembles a track, as you could probably imagine being a track rider yourself. It's a simple fact, not an opinion.

And I have no doubt you could keep up or pass me. I've been passed by you several times at MSRH. So you're right there brother. (Although I would have to strongly argue that if you were on a Gold Wing, you might find that to be difficult. Just to give myself a little credit, you know?) But I wasn't putting Gold Wings and Harleys into the same catagory. Just as you so eliquently stated, they are two very different beasts in terms of performance. I just said that there was a line of a few Gold Wings and Harleys on that last pass through the Dragon in the rain because......there was. I almost my pants when it started raining and I'm no stranger to the gap. So as you could guess, it's hard to imagine any right minded Gold Wing or Harley rider to get brave when it's cats a dogs on a stretch of road that's already known for taking the lives of many motorcycle riders. Hence, the long line of bikes taking it easy in the rain...........

I hope I didn't offend ya, Bill. I know you're quite the capable rider. (no sarcasim intended).

-Adam
Well ok then. I guess I just get tired of the stereo type that wings are slow because some old people ride them that have no idea how to ride. The bike is very capable in the twisties. But just so you know I know sportbikes are faster, quicker and can turn better but I will be more confortable, have storage out the yingyang and be jamm'n freak'n loud tunes the whole time.

As far as the track I have been itching to take it to MSRH and see if I can break 2:10 on it. My insurance company would be if I lay that big boy down.
__________________
Sifu tz is the ultimate poser. He post on motohouston without owning a bike and he posts the corvette forum without owning a vette.... = LOSER!
gixxerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 03:13 PM   #28
gixxerbill
Senior Member
 
gixxerbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: North Corpus Christi
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 6,588

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper







Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretAgent View Post
that's because of several reasons, none of which are their sexual orientation.

1. they don't have windshield wipers
2. they don't have marker/brake lights
3. they don't have a spec or series approved rain tire (remember they run full slicks which get ZERO traction in any kind of rain.
1 Windshield wipers huh? Well rossi doesn't have wipers on his shield...mute
2. Marker/brake lights again I have never seen them on sportbike except dr gonzo at msr houston. mute
3. All the money nascar has they can't buy rain tires or have somebody make them? Plus it will give their pit crew something else to do when they pit in to change em. mute

Maybe nascar drivers arent' gay they just don't have as big as as motorcycle riders do. Me on the other I hate in the rain because it is expensive to CRASH.
__________________
Sifu tz is the ultimate poser. He post on motohouston without owning a bike and he posts the corvette forum without owning a vette.... = LOSER!
gixxerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 03:16 PM   #29
RoadracerNC
Former Dragon Slayer
 
RoadracerNC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pearland
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 7,250

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+











Send a message via AIM to RoadracerNC
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
Well ok then. I guess I just get tired of the stereo type that wings are slow because some old people ride them that have no idea how to ride. The bike is very capable in the twisties. But just so you know I know sportbikes are faster, quicker and can turn better but I will be more confortable, have storage out the yingyang and be jamm'n freak'n loud tunes the whole time.

As far as the track I have been itching to take it to MSRH and see if I can break 2:10 on it. My insurance company would be if I lay that big boy down.
Bill, if you break 2:10 on a Gold Wing......you got a beer on me brother.

-Adam
__________________
"The liberties of none are safe, unless the liberties of all are protected." -Justice William O. Douglas
NewSig2 1
RoadracerNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 03:24 PM   #30
gixxerbill
Senior Member
 
gixxerbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: North Corpus Christi
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 6,588

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper







Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadracerNC View Post
Bill, if you break 2:10 on a Gold Wing......you got a beer on me brother.

-Adam
How about 2:20? I like beer

Heck what is a novice time for houston?.
__________________
Sifu tz is the ultimate poser. He post on motohouston without owning a bike and he posts the corvette forum without owning a vette.... = LOSER!
gixxerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 03:40 PM   #31
RoadracerNC
Former Dragon Slayer
 
RoadracerNC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pearland
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 7,250

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+











Send a message via AIM to RoadracerNC
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
How about 2:20? I like beer

Heck what is a novice time for houston?.
Hmm......I wouldn't be surprised to maybe see 2:20 or close to it on a Gold Wing, given the capability of the rider. But if you pull under 2:10, you've the got the beer my friend.

Novice race or Novice trackday? Two very different (in most cases) situations. I'm willing to bet you mean novice race, because novice trackday is something of a HUGE range of times. (1:50's to like 2:30+) I think novice race times run anywhere from (excluding the very fast and very experienced novice racers) high 1:40's to high 1:50's or even 2:00flat. (maybe better? maybe worse?)

-Adam
__________________
"The liberties of none are safe, unless the liberties of all are protected." -Justice William O. Douglas
NewSig2 1
RoadracerNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 03:49 PM   #32
gixxerbill
Senior Member
 
gixxerbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: North Corpus Christi
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 6,588

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper







Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadracerNC View Post
Hmm......I wouldn't be surprised to maybe see 2:20 or close to it on a Gold Wing, given the capability of the rider. But if you pull under 2:10, you've the got the beer my friend.

Novice race or Novice trackday? Two very different (in most cases) situations. I'm willing to bet you mean novice race, because novice trackday is something of a HUGE range of times. (1:50's to like 2:30+) I think novice race times run anywhere from (excluding the very fast and very experienced novice racers) high 1:40's to high 1:50's or even 2:00flat. (maybe better? maybe worse?)

-Adam
Eh I meant a trackday but race is ok too. 2:10 huh? Sheesh I will give it try I sure I hope I don't mess up my bike over a beer.
__________________
Sifu tz is the ultimate poser. He post on motohouston without owning a bike and he posts the corvette forum without owning a vette.... = LOSER!
gixxerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 04:15 PM   #33
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>
 
Pyrofallout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Feedback Rating: (31)
Posts: 25,364

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+






Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
How about 2:20? I like beer

Heck what is a novice time for houston?.
I ran 2:11 on my second track day, first time out at MSRH. I know some where higher and some were lower. So I am thinking 2:10 ish is a good novice time.
__________________
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have.
"The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases."
-Thomas Jefferson
Pyrofallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 04:20 PM   #34
gixxerbill
Senior Member
 
gixxerbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: North Corpus Christi
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 6,588

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper







Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrofallout View Post
I ran 2:11 on my second track day, first time out at MSRH. I know some where higher and some were lower. So I am thinking 2:10 ish is a good novice time.

Cool. i will give it shot. It will be fun plus I will trip out the competition by jamm'n the stereo.
__________________
Sifu tz is the ultimate poser. He post on motohouston without owning a bike and he posts the corvette forum without owning a vette.... = LOSER!
gixxerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 04:22 PM   #35
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>
 
Pyrofallout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Feedback Rating: (31)
Posts: 25,364

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+






Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
Cool. i will give it shot. It will be fun plus I will trip out the competition by jamm'n the stereo.
That's awesome.
__________________
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have.
"The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases."
-Thomas Jefferson
Pyrofallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 04:23 PM   #36
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>
 
Pyrofallout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Feedback Rating: (31)
Posts: 25,364

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+






Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
Cool. i will give it shot. It will be fun plus I will trip out the competition by jamm'n the stereo.
That's on a SS though. I would think you would really have to work to get the wing that low...not to mention take off as much as you can (storage bins, ect)
__________________
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have.
"The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases."
-Thomas Jefferson
Pyrofallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 04:28 PM   #37
gixxerbill
Senior Member
 
gixxerbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: North Corpus Christi
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 6,588

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper







Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrofallout View Post
That's on a SS though. I would think you would really have to work to get the wing that low...not to mention take off as much as you can (storage bins, ect)
For a beer are you kidding? I am leaving all that on but I will empty the bags of the $70 worth of groceries I cart around in case I get hungry. . Yea, I am going to have to work it to get a 2:10.

I think ya'll are going to be very surprised by what the wing can do. 5 guys at the wednesday night ride told me man that thing looks confortable and it jamz.
__________________
Sifu tz is the ultimate poser. He post on motohouston without owning a bike and he posts the corvette forum without owning a vette.... = LOSER!
gixxerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 04:43 PM   #38
RoadracerNC
Former Dragon Slayer
 
RoadracerNC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pearland
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 7,250

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+











Send a message via AIM to RoadracerNC
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
Eh I meant a trackday but race is ok too. 2:10 huh? Sheesh I will give it try I sure I hope I don't mess up my bike over a beer.

As stated by Pyrofallout, 2:10 is probably around what you would see in most noob riders either in their first several sessions or by the end of the day. There are those occasions where some will be slower and some will be faster. I think Mr. Unassailalbe (sp?) ran a 1:47? on his first track day. So good times are possible for any new rider to the track (or those crazy 's out on a Gold Wing pushin it for a beer ).

An LMS or TTD instructor could probably speak a little more intelligently on the topic. I'm just going off my personal times on my first trackdays (which wern't that long ago ) and what I've heard from other noob riders at MSRH.

Does anyone get that feeling we've totally jacked this thread?

On the thread topic though, that rian looks as if it's coming sideways. Don't let the lean angle fool you, that looks crazy windy out there. I'm sure it's easies for guys like him to push it in those conditions. He doesn't exactly have to worry about putting her down like us peons do. I can't afford to rebuild a bike right now. I do well to pay bills, eat decent food and make a trackday everynow and then while just maintaining the bike. Let alone rebuild one because I wanted to ride/race in a Tropical Storm.

-Adam
__________________
"The liberties of none are safe, unless the liberties of all are protected." -Justice William O. Douglas
NewSig2 1
RoadracerNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 04:50 PM   #39
gixxerbill
Senior Member
 
gixxerbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: North Corpus Christi
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 6,588

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper







Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadracerNC View Post
As stated by Pyrofallout, 2:10 is probably around what you would see in most noob riders either in their first several sessions or by the end of the day. There are those occasions where some will be slower and some will be faster. I think Mr. Unassailalbe (sp?) ran a 1:47? on his first track day.
Think it was a 1:55.
__________________
Sifu tz is the ultimate poser. He post on motohouston without owning a bike and he posts the corvette forum without owning a vette.... = LOSER!
gixxerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 04:58 PM   #40
you da man
Senior Member
 
you da man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 307

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 10+











Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretAgent View Post
that's because of several reasons, none of which are their sexual orientation.

1. they don't have windshield wipers
2. they don't have marker/brake lights
3. they don't have a spec or series approved rain tire (remember they run full slicks which get ZERO traction in any kind of rain.
Well that's obvious but we ride/race in the rain with no car body around us so we have no wipers, no markers/brake lights but we will mount up rain tires to ride/race on. Doesn't F1 and Indy race in the rain? They have intermediates and full wets. I think if NASCAR (not that I care about NASCAR) wanted to race in the wet, they could easily get tire manufacturers to modify already existing intermediate or wet tires to meet the specs to fit NASCAR. Especially with NASCAR's popularity and the money making machine it seems to be.
you da man is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:25 AM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy