MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2008, 10:11 AM   #1
NorthHoustonGSXR
Yes I do.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2006 GSX 600R
mystery bike
2000 CBR600F4 track only (SOLD)

TTD and Trevor

a BIG thanks to Trevor...I learned alot from him yesterday and what a great instructor! Thanks man!!! By the second session in the afternoon my knee pucks were tore up. That makes me happy! I sure need to work on my lines though.

xdng33m4iv
GOVERNMENT IS THE REAL MIDDLE MAN. COMMON BUSINESS PRACTICE IS TO ELIMINATE THE MIDDLE MAN.
NorthHoustonGSXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-03-2008, 10:15 AM   #2
S_M_J82
Prime Time!!!

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

2003 kawasaki z1000

Send a message via AIM to S_M_J82
he's the man!

well 1 of a few texas trackdays has lol.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:19 AM   #3
Candie

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2013 Ninja 300
07 CBR 600RR (sold)
09 Ninja 250 (sold)
04 CBR 600RR (sold)
04 GSXR 600 (sold)

Yep Trevor is AWESOME! He is my track !! I want to be just like him when I grow up!!!

I watched you going through 1 & 2! You were doing very well through there! Nice and smooth!!!
Old 08-03-2008, 10:25 AM   #4
NorthHoustonGSXR
Yes I do.

Bike(s):
2006 GSX 600R
mystery bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candie View Post
Yep Trevor is AWESOME! He is my track !! I want to be just like him when I grow up!!!

I watched you going through 1 & 2! You were doing very well through there! Nice and smooth!!!
thanks!

xdng33m4iv
GOVERNMENT IS THE REAL MIDDLE MAN. COMMON BUSINESS PRACTICE IS TO ELIMINATE THE MIDDLE MAN.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:28 AM   #5
Azylum
The Chosen One

Feedback Rating: (23)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 2

good job mang! i had one knee puck that had one little scrape on the edge. guess i need to hang off more.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:34 AM   #6
Candie

Bike(s):
2013 Ninja 300
07 CBR 600RR (sold)
09 Ninja 250 (sold)
04 CBR 600RR (sold)
04 GSXR 600 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azylum View Post
good job mang! i had one knee puck that had one little scrape on the edge. guess i need to hang off more.
Silly boys and the knee pucks! I swear when I see any of my students so focused on draggin a knee that they miss the whole idea behind riding a track day I threaten to take them off thier leathers!!!! Draggin a knee is not the end all beat all to track riding!!!!!

Mike you off the bike fine through 1&2, you would stick your knee out prior to the turn and them tuck it back in through the apexs!
Old 08-03-2008, 10:41 AM   #7
dirtyjerzy

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
'05 GSXR600

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthHoustonCBR View Post
a BIG thanks to Trevor...I learned alot from him yesterday and what a great instructor! Thanks man!!! By the second session in the afternoon my knee pucks were tore up. That makes me happy! I sure need to work on my lines though.
+1 on that!!! Trevor was awesome. I can't begin to thank him enough. I'm already thinking about going to MSRC in two weeks... hahaha!! smokin' the track pipe!
dirtyjerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 10:43 AM   #8
Azylum
The Chosen One

Feedback Rating: (23)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 2

Quote:
Silly boys and the knee pucks! I swear when I see any of my students so focused on draggin a knee that they miss the whole idea behind riding a track day I threaten to take them off thier leathers!!!! Draggin a knee is not the end all beat all to track riding!!!!!

Mike you off the bike fine through 1&2, you would stick your knee out prior to the turn and them tuck it back in through the apexs!
Old 08-03-2008, 12:17 PM   #9
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:

That's one way to think about it and handle it as an instructor. Another approach might be to find a way to work dragging a knee into the curriculum for newer track riders. Dragging a knee was a huge, huge motivator for me when I started tracking the bike. I'd much rather have somebody helping me to each that goal in a controlled and meaningful manner. I suspect many other riders also hold dragging a knee as a early track goal.

Maybe, it would help to focus on dragging a knee exclusively on one corner or area of the track. The carousel at both MSR-H and TWS (Texas World Speedway) would seem to be good candidates. Extending on the body positioning that is already instructed, students could be guided to work on getting a knee down exclusively is that one area of the track. This leaves the remainder of the track to work on vision, lines, referenece points, braking and throttle.

If knee dragging is limited to one area on the track, the riders may be less distracted by it on the other parts of the track. It seems that once a rider is comfortable touching a knee in one corner, it becomes dramatically easier everywhere else.
Old 08-03-2008, 12:22 PM   #10
logan5

Bike(s):
2001 SV 650 (my track ), 2005 SV 650s

But draggin a knee is just ubber cool!
Old 08-03-2008, 01:01 PM   #11
bubby
Candie's Pit Crew!

Bike(s):
'07 600RR, '09 Kawi 250

+ 1 on Trevor! He helps me on the track as well!

Draggin' a knee is great and a lot of fun, but a lot of times students worry too much about their knee touching and screw their body position all up! TTD 2nd classroom session is all focused on body position. If the student relaxes and has their body position right their knee will get down! On the other hand if a student's body position isn't right and he's just trying to touch their knee they will end up leaning the bike too much and over-riding their tires and end up low siding. Not how they want to scuff up the knee pucks!
Old 08-03-2008, 02:20 PM   #12
Candie

Bike(s):
2013 Ninja 300
07 CBR 600RR (sold)
09 Ninja 250 (sold)
04 CBR 600RR (sold)
04 GSXR 600 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
That's one way to think about it and handle it as an instructor. Another approach might be to find a way to work dragging a knee into the curriculum for newer track riders. Dragging a knee was a huge, huge motivator for me when I started tracking the bike. I'd much rather have somebody helping me to each that goal in a controlled and meaningful manner. I suspect many other riders also hold dragging a knee as a early track goal.

Maybe, it would help to focus on dragging a knee exclusively on one corner or area of the track. The carousel at both MSR-H and TWS (Texas World Speedway) would seem to be good candidates. Extending on the body positioning that is already instructed, students could be guided to work on getting a knee down exclusively is that one area of the track. This leaves the remainder of the track to work on vision, lines, referenece points, braking and throttle.

If knee dragging is limited to one area on the track, the riders may be less distracted by it on the other parts of the track. It seems that once a rider is comfortable touching a knee in one corner, it becomes dramatically easier everywhere else.
We do focus on draggin a knee when we do the body position demo! But if a student goes out there with no real concept of good and proper body position and just focuses on one very small aspect of track riding it is a recipe for diaster! Usually just my threat is enough to get in out of thier head enough to get on the right track and usually by the end of the day they get a scrape here or there! I know of very few first time track riders who, can drag a knee very much on there first track day! I just hate to see one of my students so focused on a small thing that they loose the "whole" learning experience! Granted I was excited when I drug my knee for the first time and I love to see the smiles of my students when the come and show me thier scuffed up pucks, but I love it more when I see them go home safely at the end of the day!
Old 08-03-2008, 02:27 PM   #13
Wormgear

Bike(s):
Kawi C-14
07 R6 track

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubby View Post
+ 1 on Trevor! He helps me on the track as well!

Draggin' a knee is great and a lot of fun, but a lot of times students worry too much about their knee touching and screw their body position all up! TTD 2nd classroom session is all focused on body position. If the student relaxes and has their body position right their knee will get down! On the other hand if a student's body position isn't right and he's just trying to touch their knee they will end up leaning the bike too much and over-riding their tires and end up low siding. Not how they want to scuff up the knee pucks!
What he said
Draggin' a knee should be a result, not a goal.
Having said that, it was definitely a goal for me
Wormgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 02:52 PM   #14
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post

IMO I wouldnt call the carosel at msrh a great place to try to drag your first knee, Id think the keyhole. The carosel you are going too fast to LEARN to drag a knee, if something were to happen...well... thats alot of speed

I do agree with the TWS (Texas World Speedway) horseshoe though...
Old 08-03-2008, 04:17 PM   #15
S_M_J82
Prime Time!!!

2003 kawasaki z1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solracer View Post
IMO I wouldnt call the carosel at msrh a great place to try to drag your first knee, Id think the keyhole. The carosel you are going too fast to LEARN to drag a knee, if something were to happen...well... thats alot of speed

I do agree with the TWS (Texas World Speedway) horseshoe though...
that's where i finally said screw it and threw my nuts over my shoulder and held on!!! and once you start dragging your knee you get an extra sense of control
Old 08-03-2008, 04:20 PM   #16
S_M_J82
Prime Time!!!

2003 kawasaki z1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave C View Post
yeah i have been wanting to go out there so i might just do that =)
you want to work something out about going up there?? i'm thinking about it. i have wanted to ride that track for a while now and just no one to go up there with. let me know
Old 08-03-2008, 04:30 PM   #17
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
We do focus on draggin a knee when we do the body position demo! But if a student goes out there with no real concept of good and proper body position and just focuses on one very small aspect of track riding it is a recipe for diaster! Usually just my threat is enough to get in out of thier head enough to get on the right track and usually by the end of the day they get a scrape here or there! I know of very few first time track riders who, can drag a knee very much on there first track day! I just hate to see one of my students so focused on a small thing that they loose the "whole" learning experience! Granted I was excited when I drug my knee for the first time and I love to see the smiles of my students when the come and show me thier scuffed up pucks, but I love it more when I see them go home safely at the end of the day!
We are in agreement, Candie. Attempting to drag knee everywhere inhibits the whole learning experience. That's where my suggestion of picking one corner or section of the track comes from. Carousel, Keyhole, doesn't matter as long as it's just one place. Then everywhere else for all the other skills.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:13 PM   #18
NorthHoustonGSXR
Yes I do.

Bike(s):
2006 GSX 600R
mystery bike

xdng33m4iv

Last edited by NorthHoustonGSXR; 08-03-2008 at 09:17 PM.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:05 PM   #19
trevito510

Send a message via MSN to trevito510
You looked confident in the turns. Way to drag a knee!

Remember: Slow down a little and find your referance points then every thing else will come to you in time.

Keep up the good work!
CCS Expert #51
CMRA Expert #551
Texas Track Days Instructor
trevito510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 11:59 PM   #20
Somebody1010
CCS EX #62

Bike(s):
04 Suzuki 600 (Track only) 04 Kawi KX 250

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Somebody1010 Send a message via Yahoo to Somebody1010
Draggin knee = more money having to spend.

I hate having to buy knee pucks all the time. That money adds up fast.

Advertisement