Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back > Safety Corner > New Riders and MSF Course Info
Forgot info?

Welcome to! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2008, 09:59 PM   #1
Feedback Rating: (0)

93 GSF400 Bandit, 99 ZX1100, 1965 Triumph Bonneville

Send a message via Yahoo to tarotammy
Just finished my MSF Course

Basic MSF Course - Two days (Thurs. - Fri.) Humble, TX
American Motorcycle Training School

Okay, here is how it started out . . . . my husband worked a rush Wed. night, I of course did not sleep well anticipating the events of the course day on Thurs. My husband arrived home at 2am and crawled in bed and set the alarm for us to get up at 4am. Alarm did NOT go off. I awake amazingly somehow at 515am, in panic mode as we were supposed to leave at 515am. We managed to get dressed and be line it out the door at 530am. I have to drive of course, so going over the speed limit down the road to get to class on time. We arrive in parking lot at 715am (LATE & Tardy). Pull into parking lot with a sigh of relief as two other students are awaiting in parking lot for instructor. I asked them if they knew where the entrance was into the building, both said NO. Time keeps passing no instructor or other students arrive. So I call the course office . . . she me out saying class started at 7am, I say I know but there are students beside me waiting outside parking as we do not know how to get inside, so she says let me call the instructor. So instructor comes out of an open gate on side of building we all failed to see waving us in.

Okay, inside class, I am the only girl out of a total of 6 . . . we have class inside an AC building working on the written material and taking a practice written test, until lunch time, go to lunch, get onto motorcycles at 1pm. We are on motorcycles in the heat, heat reached 107-108 degrees until 530pm in Humble, TX. OMG, I am overheated no matter what we all did to try to stay cool. My ride/friend, comes to pick me up, we get to his house, I am totally exhausted. So I go upstairs to take a bath as I am a salt block of dried sweat only to find out I am severely sunburned on my face, sun gets to me even through my face shield, and I have a bad heat rash across my chest. I have NO CLUE how I am going to make it through tomorrow (Fri.). I can barely eat the dinner they fix as I am too exhausted.

Of course I don’t sleep well being in someone else’s house and a strange bed. Friend wakes me up at a quarter till 6am as we must be at course ON TIME, which we got out about, and kick stands up on the bikes and rolling at 7am. Get to school on time. Again in heat from 7am, and 9am rolls around and I have no energy, feeling the heat already as body will NOT accumulate and by 11am feeling sick to stomach. Instructor surprises us as we are ALL suffering and wondering how the we are going to make it until 5pm and tells us the course will end at 1pm with the official driving test. So we take our test at 1pm and I “PASS”, thank goodness I could NOT do this again. NEVER take your in July or after. TOO HOT!

I have another un-restful night Friday night, think it is from being over exhausted so yet again no rest.

ALL DAY Saturday . . . I cannot stay awake, I am in and out of bed passing out, no energy, etc. etc. So that is how I am spending my day, awake and or in bed power sleeping.

NOW PRAYING, tomorrow and the rest of the week will be easier for me to manage both physically and mentally.

Course was good and put me through my paces on learning to balance a bike in tight turns and stopping. I actually enjoyed the smaller bike they supplied. The heat made wearing my gear MISERABLE and after the first day I hated all the gear I owned, ha ha ha ha . . .I recommend the Basic MSF course for those novices out there and to brush up on Motorcycle law.

Now I get to TACKLE going and taking the Written test at the DPS office, ARRGGG

tarotammy is offline   Reply With Quote