MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2008, 08:45 PM   #1
SiG239

Feedback Rating: (7)

Electrical Issue, Need some help..

Sup all,

So last night I went out for a ride and everything is normal. Go out this morning for a ride and both turn signal indicators are staying on, all signal lights are also lit but very dim. The wierd thing is when you go to signal, it instantly stalls. If no signals are used it runs just fine. Also the low beam headlight is on but very dim also, high beam will not come on at all. I have checked all fuses, signal wiring, and nothing has happened since it was running fine to explain this. If someone could help me out here I would really appreciate it, thanks.
SiG239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Electrical help? CraigRR How To's and Q & A's 12 08-25-2013 09:00 PM
help..electrical issue with bike styxnsk1n General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 07-31-2013 04:04 PM
help..electrical issue with bike styxnsk1n General Discussion (Moto Related) 0 07-31-2013 11:05 AM
2007 SV 650 electrical issue #328 General Discussion (Moto Related) 3 07-10-2012 07:16 PM
Electrical issue in tail light thecarter0 Motorcycles Unlimited 2 07-15-2011 09:10 AM
Advertisement
Old 08-01-2008, 08:55 PM   #2
qwezy

Feedback Rating: (0)

battery getting weak,it will quit very soon.just load test battery see how it hold up,or borrow a known good battery and try it see problem fix .99% it's
qwezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:38 PM   #3
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Could be a short in your signal wiring or a charging system issue.
Do you have aftermarket turnsignals?
If so, make sure one of them or the wires going to them aren't shorted or going to ground.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 10:05 PM   #4
SiG239

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Could be a short in your signal wiring or a charging system issue.
Do you have aftermarket turnsignals?
If so, make sure one of them or the wires going to them aren't shorted or going to ground.
I do have aftermarket signals, guess i will double check all the connections again . I did a lengthy ride today and never had any problems with starting and didn't appear to be a problem with the charging system so far. Patrick, could it possibly be the battery starting to fail as previously mentioned?

Last edited by SiG239; 08-01-2008 at 10:08 PM.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:19 PM   #5
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

It's probably signal related.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 10:26 PM   #6
AsusRR

Feedback Rating: (0)

wires from your harness is fusing together somewhere on the bike. you have a F4i right? from what i know its on the left side air duck. pop off the cover and check both harness. disconnect harness and check for any wire that are melted or sticking together. if not check all your headlights, tail light, and blinker wires harness. hope it helps. if not pm me.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:46 PM   #7
SiG239

Appreciate everyones input. I'll try a couple things out tomorrow and move on from there. Will let you know AsusRR
Old 08-02-2008, 02:48 PM   #8
SiG239

alright, so this morning the bike wouldn't even start and the battery was completly dead, tried a new battery and it started up but the turn signal indicators were still on. turned it off and messed with the signal wiring, everything looked good, went to start it up again and it will not start at all. You can no longer hear the fuel pump coming on. Any ideas? I'm about at the end of the road with this bike. PM sent AsusRR
Old 08-03-2008, 12:06 AM   #9
SiG239

so I found the problem, was kinda what AsusRR had explained. I guess this is kinda common on early model f4i's when you are constantly running both headlights. The gray plug for the headlight (one near the low beam light) had melted part of the ground wire at the pin and was grounding out. Grounded the headlight ground wires to a solid ground and problem is fixed. Here is the link explaining this problem to fellow f4i owners. Thanks to all for the good advice.

http://www.cbrforum.com/m_520431/tm.htm

Advertisement