MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2008, 08:45 PM   #21
__NATE__

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
07 Hayabusa
Honda Crf 450
TTR 90
Yami PW 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solracer View Post
rent a storage unit and be done wit it.
+3 or 4 lol Dont chance it dude Or get full coverage
~~When you go into court, you are putting yourself in the hands of 12 people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.~~~THIS IS MY BUSA THEIR ARE MANY LIKE IT BUT THIS IS MINE! WITH OUT MY BUSA I'M A CAGER!~~~
__NATE__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Truck Hits Bike JGrein05 General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 09-03-2010 10:10 AM
Need help! How do i strap my bike in the truck?? Supa Dave General Discussion (Moto Related) 35 10-23-2009 10:43 PM
truck vs bike bunxx Off Topic 7 03-22-2009 03:32 PM
Who needs a truck when you can just use a tow bike GraemePC General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 10-23-2008 06:07 PM
for those of you in need of a truck to haul your bike around OMEGA General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 03-09-2008 12:10 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-01-2008, 08:48 PM   #22
MudBug
Banned

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage

User is banned

MudBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:04 PM   #23
JOEBUSA

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
'08 Busa 186 HP
'07 Raptor 700 (quad)
'09 CRF450R

Member Garage

do what i did, and use your buddies garage!! locking it up to a truck will just stop the honest theives from getting it!!
JOEBUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:22 PM   #24
Bigmarky
Funny saying goes here

Bike(s):
non running sv650 :(

btw it takes 2 guys about 5mins to load a locked bike on a trailer then drive off
Bigmarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:24 PM   #25
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

I had a bike in an apartment once. Had it locked up right in front of my front door, out of sight of the parking lot. In sight of the managers office, next to the pool, where my friends hung out all day.

I came home, used a different door, later I called for pizza. When I opened the door for the pizza guy I freaked, scared the outta the poor guy.
You could see where they dragged my bike through a breezeway and out to a side parking lot.

It would be best to find another place to keep it, bro.

By the way. I never saw that bike again.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 10:00 PM   #26
CBR RN
An observer

Bike(s):
had an F4i

EH164
Portable rebar/bolt cutter...

Last edited by CBR RN; 08-01-2008 at 10:05 PM. Reason: sp
CBR RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 10:28 PM   #27
XRCajun
Cool Senior Member

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2001 Honda XR650R Track Motard (sold), 2006 Honda 919, 2007 Honda CBR600RR(sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxxer600 View Post
I am moving into an apartment in a few weeks that will not have a garage . I am not able t get my bike inside my apartment either because of the way the stairs are setup. SO, I have been looking for cement anchors so that it would be more difficult for some lowlife to lift my bike. Then it hit me, I have a 4000lb anchor already, my truck. I was thinking about using a cable around the frame rail in the back near the bed for a anchor point.

What do you think?
What are you going to do when you're driving your truck?
XRCajun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 10:30 PM   #28
AsusRR

Trackdays: 10+

sale the bike. save your self from the trouble. lol. im only kidding. try leaving your bike at a friend place? well untill you get a garage.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:20 PM   #29
ChrisGo

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
gsxr600-sold
looking for a trackbike!!

Thumbs down

I was afraid of this . I guess I just needed everyone to confirm it. I have a downstairs apartment that has the front door facing my parking spot about 15 ft away. The reason that I cant get it inside is because the porch railing runs parallel in front of the door. I was also thinking that they might just throw the bike in the back of my truck and take them both too. The only problem with getting a storage or using a friends garage is that I daily drive the bike to and from class. I guess I either find another way or deal with getting it stolen.

I'm working in the offshore oil industry right now so I have access to ridiculous size cable. It might deter a thief or challenge them, who knows. This sucks.

Maybe this 900mT winch wire?
Lockgin your bike to a truck?
ChrisGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 11:23 PM   #30
ChrisGo

Bike(s):
gsxr600-sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRCajun View Post
What are you going to do when you're driving your truck?
i was also thinking about that too........
Old 08-01-2008, 11:33 PM   #31
andrave

if you have to lock it get one of the "fawgheddabout it" chains or whatever they are called, patrick sells them. they aren't cheap but unless you have a gas powered cement saw or an oxy acetylene torch, they are pretty ing tough to get through.

I just used a disc lock with a kryptonite cable looped through my swingarm and rear tire and locked it to a telephone pole for 3 months last year, no one ever messed with it (it was all the way in the back of the apt lot, where the person's apt I was staying with was).

I used to just live in a good neighborhood... thats pretty f'in good insurance right there.

I always, ALWAYS use a bike cover. just to keep bird off it as much as theft deterrance, but if you have something nice you can't tell with a properly sized cover on. a vespa and a gsxr 750 look about the same under a cover.

I used to run the cable lock around a tree, through the tow hooks on the frame of my 240sx convertible, through 2 of the rims, then around the bike swingarm and lock it like that for a while, too.

kept it like that for over a year, it was never any trouble cause I never drove the 240 cept for shows and stuff, but then again this was in the aforementioned nice neighborhood... surrounded by 600,000- 1 mill plus townhomes and new construction...

honestly if you can't afford to live someplace decent (with somewhere to keep the bike) check on full coverage insurance... it will cover it whether its stolen or you wreck it, and in houston there is a pretty good chance it won't be much more than a storage unit close to your house (I know in my "good" neighborhood a 1 car storage unit went for $350+/month). Besides I know people who have had stolen from storage anyway... if you don't have insurance and its in storage you are out all the same.

also some advice if you DO get a storage unit when you call tell them it needs to be on the ground level cause I had ppl trying to give me up stiars and around corners and stuff. basically you'll have to tell em you need ground garage access. also check their hours... public storage (who runs most of the in houston) doesn't let you in/out after 9 or 10... I had a unit with them once and that turned out to be a huge ing problem.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:37 PM   #32
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

See if the apt manager can find you an apartment that has better access. Don't tell them the actual reason why you want to change, but maybe there is a floor plan that will allow you to get the bike inside easier?
Old 08-02-2008, 12:05 AM   #33
BMoreno
Formerly BM250r

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
None

Member Garage

hhmm...locking it in your truck will probably slow them down and if they get smart enough...just take the truck with the bike...two for one deal...
BMoreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 12:28 AM   #34
andrave

My friend had this 423 (I think) kick start 4 stroke dirt bike... to get it to start you had to pull the compression release, flip a cold start switch, slide the choke... etc... and then kick it like a mule. That ing thing had to weigh 200 lbs if it was an ounce. Anyway we didn't know what to do with it once and he left it in the back of his dodge dakota and backed it up against a wall (like an inch off) so no one could drop the tail gate.

What happens when he gets back? ing bike is GONE!

he reported it stolen and the cops found it behind a building like 5 blocks down, with the tie downs still wrapped around the handlebars.

And not a scratch on the truck.

How the did they lift that thing outta there/

thank for him it was a to start and such a that it only kicked over every 16th time when there was a full moon and you had poured the blood of a virgin into the gas tank and slaughtered a chicken.
Old 08-02-2008, 12:31 AM   #35
Azylum
The Chosen One

Feedback Rating: (23)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 2

dude my bike has been stolen twice, and then when they couldnt steal the bike, they were stealing PARTS off of it. if you cant get it inside your apt, rent a storage shed or store it at a buddies house or something. do NOT keep it outside.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:22 AM   #36
kingCOOPA
supper NOOB

man that cable in that picture wont stop a well prepared thief. all you need to have in order to get threw any cable is a cutting torch... i work in a galveston ship yard and we cut stuff like that all the time when we are feeling lazy and don't wanna drag or load a bunch of big cables around..... im sure even a small portable torch from walmart or homedepot could also cut the cable. and if not all they need to do is carry a small gas and oxygen tank in the back of the truck that they will be using to hall the bike off in anyways.
kingCOOPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 01:55 AM   #37
jrob
cheers

Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
KTM 450 XC-F
DRZ 400 Kick/Motard Convert

idea

off subject where offshore do you work? i work offshore too, for oceaneering. ROV tech.

anyway man i bet you are not the only person looking for a safe spot to store their bike. maybe see if someone else wants to split a storage unit with you. you could easily fit two or three maybe more bikes in a storage space. "bike mates" if you will. there would obviously have to be an element of trust there, but that should be easy between fellow riders. well i would hope it would be anyway.
jrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 02:21 AM   #38
andrave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azylum View Post
dude my bike has been stolen twice, and then when they couldnt steal the bike, they were stealing PARTS off of it.
Quote:
dude, MOVE!!!!
Old 08-02-2008, 02:25 AM   #39
ChrisGo

Bike(s):
gsxr600-sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingCOOPA View Post
man that cable in that picture wont stop a well prepared thief. all you need to have in order to get threw any cable is a cutting torch... i work in a galveston ship yard and we cut stuff like that all the time when we are feeling lazy and don't wanna drag or load a bunch of big cables around..... im sure even a small portable torch from walmart or homedepot could also cut the cable. and if not all they need to do is carry a small gas and oxygen tank in the back of the truck that they will be using to hall the bike off in anyways.
I guess Im going to price full coverage and count down the days if I cant get a more accessable apartment. It sucks that we cant have anything nice these days without it being stolen. Maybe I should put a sticker on the bike that says "Joe Horns son" I think I was basing my idea on making someone think that it would be to much work to steal my bike by chaining it to my truck.......

I was just kidding when I showed the cable though. That weighs close to 80lbs/ft lol. Our deck hands take the easy way out when cutting it too. A 12" circular saw takes about 45 seconds to a minute to cut it with the right blade. Just goes to show that a 3" cable wont even stop a thief.
Old 08-02-2008, 02:27 AM   #40
ChrisGo

Bike(s):
gsxr600-sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobertson View Post
off subject where offshore do you work? i work offshore too, for oceaneering. ROV tech.

GB506 right now. Currently waiting up all night to witness a choke install......

Advertisement