MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track > Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2008, 03:20 PM   #21
Moto plus

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
cbr600rr ,crf150r ,xr50 & more

Try changing your gearing I ride a crf150r & I get in to 5 gear at all the small tracks. If your gearing is right the gear box will be closer together you will have to shift more but it will be better.
Phillip
Team Ninja TMGP
Moto plus is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sunday 4/01 Bike ride to Deer Park's Bike Show, then Galveston! GixxerLizzy Events, Meets and Rides 7 04-08-2012 07:38 PM
Friday night group ride HOOTErS ;)!! Discuss bike possible bike club skullrider Events, Meets and Rides 7 03-23-2012 06:27 PM
Cycle Gear south 9/1 6-9p bike night/bike wash Ilean Events, Meets and Rides 11 09-01-2011 06:49 PM
Friend wanting a liter bike for first street bike *long convo inside* AWD General Discussion (Moto Related) 108 08-08-2006 12:08 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-06-2008, 05:15 PM   #22
Bagwell

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
Various Equipment for various uses.
Dirt, Street, Track, Dual Sport, I like em all.

The Ninja 250 is just too big a chassi for the lil katy track in my opinion. I would go with some of the other choices ppl have mentioned. You get a lot more from a minibike than you think translates to big bikes.

#104 I Just Wanna Ride TMGP Endurance Team
Bagwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:45 AM   #23
BlackWidow
The Doctor

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
A Ducati
A KaToom
Several Yamahas...
Some Kawis
No HONDAS! ;)

Send a message via AIM to BlackWidow
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcd View Post
I am only getting out of third gear on the long straight with my 85.

I think the bike you ride out there would depend on what you are comfortable with, and what you want to get out of riding out there. Yes you could ride a Ninja 250 out there, but I think it would be more difficult than riding a mini. A mini would be a lot faster around that track also. My only concern with the 250 would be that since it would be very difficult to ride fast around that track, it would be more difficult to carry cornerspeed, which is really what you are trying to learn on a mini track.

In the end though, as long as the GCKI will allow a 250 on the track, it is going to be what you are comfortable with out there, and what you want to ride. Since you mentioned you don't really want to race TMGP, then I would not worry about what bike for what class. I would however suggest that you give the mini motard a chance out there before you decide to look towards a bigger bike. I have learned a lot of skills on my mini that will/have transferred over to big bikes.
Matthew,

I've ridden a CR85 out there. I get into 5th easily. I think you are geared too tall. Maybe regear your bike. Speak to Phillip above, he's pretty much as fast as you can get on a mini at Katy and the dude has his own chop shop so he can hook you up. He's the fastest 250 lb + dude I know!

No seriously though - you should easily be getting into 5th gear and pulling before you get on the brakes in T1.

One other thing I would suggest is "Don't gear the bike to be comfortable - and less shift", gear it "for the track". Its better if you have to shift alot! Starting out the more you shift, the more you'll learn, it'll teach you to shift around the track more, body position, planning ahead, etc etc. You'll learn, probably not be comfortable, but you'll definitly learn alot more then just being in 3 gears the whole lap!

I think I shift over 10 times in one lap on my CRF100.

It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal...
BlackWidow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:53 AM   #24
mcd

I can get into 5th on the long straight, just before turn one no problem. The rest of the track is 2nd and 3rd gear though. And yes, I do shift quite a few times on that little track. I am definantly going to re gear though, and have the sprokets, just need a few links in the chain. I am going to try to push the rear wheel all the way back in the axle slot, to see if I can't make the bike a little more stable.
mcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 07:38 PM   #25
Wormgear

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
Kawi C-14
07 R6 track

Ok I'm convinced to keep it small. Now to find something ready to go, or that I can make ready for about $1500.
And Thanks for all the input
Wormgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 07:13 PM   #26
Wormgear

Bike(s):
Kawi C-14
07 R6 track

ok how about a RM125? I know, no TMGP but would it be too much for Katy? not enough for GSS?, or could I pull it off at both.
Wormgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 12:11 AM   #27
Bagwell

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
Various Equipment for various uses.
Dirt, Street, Track, Dual Sport, I like em all.

I think thats too much for katy

#104 I Just Wanna Ride TMGP Endurance Team
Bagwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 10:11 AM   #28
BlackWidow
The Doctor

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
A Ducati
A KaToom
Several Yamahas...
Some Kawis
No HONDAS! ;)

Send a message via AIM to BlackWidow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagwell View Post
I think thats too much for katy
and not half the fun as on a 65 or turbo`ed CRF/KLX 100/110

It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal...
BlackWidow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 07:47 AM   #29
Wormgear

Bike(s):
Kawi C-14
07 R6 track

Well after a lot of thought and good advice I chucked it all and got a Pitster Pro xjr90 mini motard. Why? cuz it's (and I am) cheap and good enough for now. I've had it out to Katy a couple times already and it's a hoot. I'll post up when I'm going in the future, maybe meet up with someone out there.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:23 AM   #30
mcd

Good to hear you picked up a bike, and are enjoying it. No matter what you get, the minis always seem to be a blast to ride.

Let me know if you plan on going out to Katy in the next week or two. I got a kx65 that I am trying to get set up.
mcd is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement