Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track > Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2008, 12:48 PM   #1
Wormgear

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Kawi C-14
07 R6 track

Tell Me What Bike to Get

I知 really interested in this and since I知 soon to be living only 20 min from the Katy track (where I could buy a membership) even more so. Thinking next year I would like to compete in the TMGP but only at Katy and when my schedule permits. I致e done some reading but I知 totally lost as to what kind of bike to get. I have a lot of seat time on cruisers and sports-touring bikes. Got my first track bike near the end of May (Tracked out SV1000) became hopelessly addicted to track riding and have ridden 6 track days since. I think I知 doing about 2:06 laps now at TWS (Texas World Speedway) (ya, I know, but it feels fast to me!)and generally getting a little faster each time out. I知 60 and 175 lbs of 51 yr old man. I was 18 the last time I rode a dirt bike. I致e never even looked at a mini or tard up close so ok, I知 a total ignoramus.

What I want is a lot of fun and bike that will best help me develop my skills on the big track / bike. I guess multi class would be good too so I can get a lot of laps on TMGP days.
Suggestions? Or am I too big / old to even go out on the Katy track?
Wormgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sunday 4/01 Bike ride to Deer Park's Bike Show, then Galveston! GixxerLizzy Events, Meets and Rides 7 04-08-2012 07:38 PM
Friday night group ride HOOTErS ;)!! Discuss bike possible bike club skullrider Events, Meets and Rides 7 03-23-2012 06:27 PM
Cycle Gear south 9/1 6-9p bike night/bike wash Ilean Events, Meets and Rides 11 09-01-2011 06:49 PM
Friend wanting a liter bike for first street bike *long convo inside* AWD General Discussion (Moto Related) 108 08-08-2006 12:08 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-30-2008, 12:58 PM   #2
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Your gonna love it!!!

Get a 4stroke motard...comfy
Old 07-30-2008, 01:02 PM   #3
mcd

Take a look at the TMGP website, and look at the class structure. From what I have read (I have not been to any TMGP races yet) the F7 class has the most riders, and also has a Novice and Expert class. If you want to run F7, an XR100 motard would probably be a good bet. You could also get an NSR or YSR, but being 6', the bike might be a little cramped for you. That is my concern too, I am looking into an F7 bike also. If you don't care to run in F7, the kx65 seems to be the weapon of choice for TMGP.

I also only live about 30 min away from the Katy track, and have a membership. It is money well spent to get out there and ride whenever you get the chance.
mcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 01:37 PM   #4
GABRIEL

Feedback Rating: (14)

Experience: 1-3 months

Can you run a CR85? If so I would ride that.
GABRIEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 01:41 PM   #5
NoFear
Busa Chairman of Posing

Feedback Rating: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigComfy View Post
Your gonna love it!!!

Get a 4stroke motard...comfy

Get a Busa now that is Comfy
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength-
NoFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 03:01 PM   #6
mcd

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABRIEL View Post
Can you run a CR85? If so I would ride that.
Yes, but you are limited in sprint classes, and cannot endurance race. I ride a KX85 and think it is a great bike for mini tracks, but doesn't really fit into TMGP.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:14 PM   #7
Wormgear

Bike(s):
Kawi C-14
07 R6 track

TMGP aside what are the limitations (by rule or practicality) to the bike size for Katy? In other words, what’s the biggest bike I could play with there?
Old 07-30-2008, 03:25 PM   #8
mcd

The track really has no limitations as to what bike a member can ride out there. One of the members here road a 426 motard out there on one occasion. It is really what you would feel comfortable on, being that it is a pretty short and tight track. A CRF150R would probably be about the biggest bike I would want to ride out there. My KX85 will go faster around that track than I have the skill to keep it on two wheels.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:39 PM   #9
Bagwell

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
Various Equipment for various uses.
Dirt, Street, Track, Dual Sport, I like em all.

popular bikes are XR100, KLX110, KX65, NSR50, TTR 125 for the most part. I know there are some others just cant think of them right now.

#104 I Just Wanna Ride TMGP Endurance Team
Bagwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 10:35 AM   #10
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Go to the races and scope a few rides out.

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 11:00 AM   #11
RojerLockless
member of NO MA`AM

Feedback Rating: (10)

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
Honda CB919

Member Garage

Honda Honda... Faster Faster!... Honda Honda..

RojerLockless@Motohouston.com
BRING BACK GIXXERBILL!!!
CRBsig 2
RojerLockless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 06:44 PM   #12
BlackWidow
The Doctor

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
A Ducati
A KaToom
Several Yamahas...
Some Kawis
No HONDAS! ;)

Send a message via AIM to BlackWidow
Get this one....

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=61141

It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal...
BlackWidow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 11:57 AM   #13
Wormgear

Bike(s):
Kawi C-14
07 R6 track

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWidow View Post
that thing is sic! That would sure be the one to get if I decide to go motard. MCD was kind enough to let me take his KX 85 for some laps at Katy Monday and it was a blast! I really enjoyed it and I have to get something for that track.
My 2 issues with the 2 smoke motard were
1) I couldn稚 really keep it in the power band out there and when I did, I didn稚 know what to do with it in the turns. Lil thang wanted to jump right out from under me! I guess some seat time and better throttle control could cure that.
2) Body position wasn稚 anything like a sport bike and while I understand that skills are to some extent, skills I wonder if going a different route might be better for developing my riding of the big TD bike.
So, this maybe stupid and ya値l please feel free to tell me if you think so but I知 considering tracking out a ninja 250 to play with out there and use for TD痴 at GSS. I know TMGP is out with that idea but I知 more interested in lots of practice laps right now.
Comments?
Old 08-06-2008, 12:07 PM   #14
BlackWidow
The Doctor

Bike(s):
A Ducati
A KaToom
Several Yamahas...
Some Kawis
No HONDAS! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormgear View Post
that thing is sic! That would sure be the one to get if I decide to go motard. MCD was kind enough to let me take his KX 85 for some laps at Katy Monday and it was a blast! I really enjoyed it and I have to get something for that track.
My 2 issues with the 2 smoke motard were
1) I couldn稚 really keep it in the power band out there and when I did, I didn稚 know what to do with it in the turns. Lil thang wanted to jump right out from under me! I guess some seat time and better throttle control could cure that.
2) Body position wasn稚 anything like a sport bike and while I understand that skills are to some extent, skills I wonder if going a different route might be better for developing my riding of the big TD bike.
So, this maybe stupid and ya値l please feel free to tell me if you think so but I知 considering tracking out a ninja 250 to play with out there and use for TD痴 at GSS. I know TMGP is out with that idea but I知 more interested in lots of practice laps right now.
Comments?
The cheapest way to hone your skills and get lotsa track time is - what MCD and I do.

Get a mini like a 65 (mine) or 85 (MCD's) and then get a $350 membership @ Katy (price of 2-3 track days), then ride their at your OWN schedule and as much as you want. MCD and I usually get to go 3-4 times a month (on our own schedules).

The upkeep is a heck lot cheaper, and crash costs are barely anything. You might need to spend $100 in parts per every 10th-11th crash (if that!)...lol

It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal...
Old 08-06-2008, 12:26 PM   #15
Wormgear

Bike(s):
Kawi C-14
07 R6 track

Ya well the Katy membership is a given once I move to that area. I’ll probably be out there at least once a week. And I understand I could hone my skills on a mini but (costs and such aside) would there be any reason not to run a ninja 250 there? The body position would be a lot more like my other bike but would it be so big (at Katy) as to be useless for developing skills?
Old 08-06-2008, 01:00 PM   #16
BlackWidow
The Doctor

Bike(s):
A Ducati
A KaToom
Several Yamahas...
Some Kawis
No HONDAS! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormgear View Post
Ya well the Katy membership is a given once I move to that area. I値l probably be out there at least once a week. And I understand I could hone my skills on a mini but (costs and such aside) would there be any reason not to run a ninja 250 there? The body position would be a lot more like my other bike but would it be so big (at Katy) as to be useless for developing skills?
I can tell you that you will not get out of 3rd gear. I can also tell you that you will not enjoy it half as you will on a mini.

I can also tell you if the Go Karters see you on a full size bike, they will probably report you.

Technically speaking the track is for minis only, a Ninja 250 is a full faired bike, thus when crashing will leave lotsa plastics and scrapes on their precious surface thus the reason its for minis only.

Old 08-06-2008, 01:52 PM   #17
Wormgear

Bike(s):
Kawi C-14
07 R6 track

Quote:
I can tell you that you will not get out of 3rd gear. I can also tell you that you will not enjoy it half as you will on a mini.

I can also tell you if the Go Karters see you on a full size bike, they will probably report you.

Technically speaking the track is for minis only, a Ninja 250 is a full faired bike, thus when crashing will leave lotsa plastics and scrapes on their precious surface thus the reason its for minis only.

Well those are some pretty good reasons. Especially 的 can also tell you that you will not enjoy it half as you will on a mini.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:09 PM   #18
BlackWidow
The Doctor

Bike(s):
A Ducati
A KaToom
Several Yamahas...
Some Kawis
No HONDAS! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave C View Post
wow that right there is somethign to consider... not a bad price at all for a member ship

so what is a perk and negatives of a ttr125?

and would a noob to this motard stuff even need to bother with much more than the wheels/tires? i'm guessing that would be fine seeing we should be concerned about corners and not top speed... got me wondering now
Honestly you guys need to first drop the idea that a mini motard does not ride like a big bike - in terms of body positioning.

Most of the guys riding these KX65 all takes turns like a big bike, with the knee out, shoulder weighing on the inside, some like to hang more, some less. Just like a big bike.

So don't worry about the body positioning part - any experience on a track with a mini will help you hone your skills. I guarantee you that.

Now when it comes to which bike - I can help you a little in terms of classes:

For F7 - CRF100 or NSR50 is the best choice.
For F6 - Yamaha's TTR125 is the best choice.
For F5 - KX65/RM65/Lem RX65/KTM 65 - pretty much any 2 stroke 65 is the weapon of choice.
For F4 - KX85/YZ85/ Ride Smart 50 chassis with an 85/ NSR 50 chassis with an 85

Anything above that and you probably won't have any fun at all. Coz you'll be slowing down too much in the corner and you probably won't get out of 3rd gear!

Hope that helps you guys.

Old 08-06-2008, 02:25 PM   #19
Moto plus

Bike(s):
cbr600rr ,crf150r ,xr50 & more

The minis are the way to go I would do klx110 or xr100 The TTR125 is very hard to make fast& it runs 1 class higher. There is Lots of cool stuff for the 110 & 100 .
Thanks
Phillip
Moto plus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 03:13 PM   #20
mcd

Quote:
Anything above that and you probably won't have any fun at all. Coz you'll be slowing down too much in the corner and you probably won't get out of 3rd gear!
I am only getting out of third gear on the long straight with my 85.

I think the bike you ride out there would depend on what you are comfortable with, and what you want to get out of riding out there. Yes you could ride a Ninja 250 out there, but I think it would be more difficult than riding a mini. A mini would be a lot faster around that track also. My only concern with the 250 would be that since it would be very difficult to ride fast around that track, it would be more difficult to carry cornerspeed, which is really what you are trying to learn on a mini track.

In the end though, as long as the GCKI will allow a 250 on the track, it is going to be what you are comfortable with out there, and what you want to ride. Since you mentioned you don't really want to race TMGP, then I would not worry about what bike for what class. I would however suggest that you give the mini motard a chance out there before you decide to look towards a bigger bike. I have learned a lot of skills on my mini that will/have transferred over to big bikes.

Advertisement