MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2008, 05:57 PM   #1
Timme'
Tim-Maaaay!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Daytona 675

Time for the Triumph Upgrade

Aight so chime in here where you want, this is the upgrade list for the daytona 675 out to Patrick at Motorcycles Unlimited! Freaking can't wait!

1. STM Slipper Clutch
2. Sharkskinz plastics (gonna get Tom's to paint em)
3. Sato Rear Sets
4. Zard Titanium Exhaust (http://www.zardexhaust.com/files_dyn/img_prod/256_o.jpg)
5. Ohlins TTX rear shock (http://www.ohlins.com/Motorcycle/Pro...6/Default.aspx)
6. Pazzo levers
7. Stomp Grip
8. Power Commander or TuneBoy (question for Patrick on that one).

That should get me 'race ready'!!!! Can't freaking wait to order this stuff and get it on!
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do u know when its time to upgrade to a 600cc? venmichaels General Discussion (Moto Related) 36 10-22-2011 06:10 PM
Upgrade 1308cc General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 10-16-2011 07:30 PM
my upgrade wesleh General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 10-06-2011 06:48 PM
upgrade time... choices choices JayoT General Discussion (Moto Related) 42 02-05-2010 01:07 AM
What to upgrade first? Timme' Taking it to the Track 57 07-15-2008 12:41 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-29-2008, 06:03 PM   #2
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

may want to upgrade the front forks while your at. GL
Old 07-29-2008, 06:08 PM   #3
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

if you want to race it make sure whether or not you need aftermarket engine case covers, in most cases you need em.
CarbonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 06:10 PM   #4
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

^+1

also, if you don't have the patience to do it yourself have it safety wired.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:17 PM   #5
Timme'
Tim-Maaaay!

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigComfy View Post
^+1

also, if you don't have the patience to do it yourself have it safety wired.
Yup, might as well have them do it while it is there!

CarbonJames got you on the engine covers... good point!
Old 07-29-2008, 08:49 PM   #6
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Before you spend a dime, gotta ask, do you have a good helmet, high-end gloves, good 1 piece leathers, and high-end boots (like Sidi or A*)?

Don't buy any of that stuff above until you do IMHO.

I like the list you have though!
Old 07-29-2008, 09:11 PM   #7
andrewt

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
07 Triumph Speed Triple

personally i'd much rather have the tuneboy than the power commander. i've never liked the idea of piggyback add ons in cars, and it's no different with motorcycles. i'm not sure how much you've looked into this, but the tuneboy actually reprograms your stock ECU instead of "tricking" your stock ECU to do what it wants.

just my 2 cents...i'm not affiliated with them at all. other people can feel free to agree, but there's no question i'm going tuneboy for my bike.
andrewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 08:45 AM   #8
Timme'
Tim-Maaaay!

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
Before you spend a dime, gotta ask, do you have a good helmet, high-end gloves, good 1 piece leathers, and high-end boots (like Sidi or A*)?

Don't buy any of that stuff above until you do IMHO.

I like the list you have though!
Yup got the following gear:

Helmet : Arai Top of the line (Corsair II)
Leather : Full Leathers, decent but wouldn't mind upgrading at some point
Spine Protector : Full Spine protector from Dainese
Gloves : Decent Alpine Star gauntlet style
Boots : Top of the line Alpine Star (can't remember the style but full boots, see em on everybody)
Old 07-30-2008, 08:59 AM   #9
Timme'
Tim-Maaaay!

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewt View Post
personally i'd much rather have the tuneboy than the power commander. i've never liked the idea of piggyback add ons in cars, and it's no different with motorcycles. i'm not sure how much you've looked into this, but the tuneboy actually reprograms your stock ECU instead of "tricking" your stock ECU to do what it wants.

just my 2 cents...i'm not affiliated with them at all. other people can feel free to agree, but there's no question i'm going tuneboy for my bike.
I am gonna caveat this with saying that I write and design software for a living. I have actually worked on software for after market PCM type add ons for cars. So this is what I know of how these systems typically work, I am pretty sure they are the same for motorcycles.

When a modern automobile starts it reads a file into the computer, basically does file I/O. The file is expected to be in a certain format, with key/value pairs delimited for inputs for things such as air, fuel, timing, gear ratios, etc.

This is done because the computer doesn't really have the storage space to save the data in a database. Nor would it make sense to build a database to hold a simple amount of information, especially if that is static. This also allows manufactures of third party products the ability to modify the file without giving away any information as to how the system that reads the file works. Additionally, this is why vendors other than the manufacturer can modify so many inputs on computer driven systems on automobiles.

Now that being said, there is another interface through the PCM on automobiles that is an API (applicaiton programming interface) which publishes data in real time (read only). This information is what is used by the mechanics to perform inspections, test for problems, etc. They are developed to open standards for this purpose.

To your point, Tune Boy probably comes packaged with diagnosis and real time monitoring interfaces built in for the Triumph. I would bet you could buy the same thing from a third party though, as the interface is public and follows a standard.

Simple answer here is that Power Commander will do the same thing that Tune Boy does in terms of creating a "mapping" file for the ECU to read at startup, and there can be no difference in how the file is written or the ECU will not work.

While I think what you are saying is valid, the original manf. would be a better choice for obvious reasons. Any third party vendor would be able to perform the exact same modifications.

Last edited by Timme'; 07-30-2008 at 09:03 AM.
Timme' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:10 AM   #10
Timme'
Tim-Maaaay!

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Daytona 675

Correction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timme' View Post
This is done because the computer doesn't really have the storage space to save the data in a database. Nor would it make sense to build a database to hold a simple amount of information, especially if that is static. This also allows manufactures of third party products the ability to modify the file without giving away any information as to how the system that reads the file works. Additionally, this is why vendors other than the manufacturer can modify so many inputs on computer driven systems on automobiles.

This also allows the manf. of third party products the ability to modify the file without the automobile manf. giving away any information as to how the system that reads the file works. Additionally, this is why vendors other than the original manufacturer can modify so many inputs on computer driven systems on automobiles.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:38 AM   #11
navigator
Senior Citizen

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'09 Ninja 250
'09 Versys
'09 Grizzly
'10 Felt Racing Hybrid

I'm totally curious to see how the exhaust works out. I'm sick of the heat under my seat and cooking the rear shock. Can't tell from the pic if it will reduce cornering clearance or if it will interfere with my big feet.

Definitely get the engine covers. The Daytonas have been known to tweak the crankshaft from a light hit on the left side. Woodcraft has some nice covers that will take care of that.
POLITICAL CORRECTNESS, is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a by the clean end.
navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:41 AM   #12
Timme'
Tim-Maaaay!

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Daytona 675

Old 07-30-2008, 09:44 AM   #13
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

rider upgrade would make a bigger diff. then all that stuff combined.

eddie lawson school
kevin schwantz school
???
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:46 AM   #14
Timme'
Tim-Maaaay!

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Daytona 675

Triumph with standard zard exhaust, needs to be re-mapped though.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:52 AM   #15
Timme'
Tim-Maaaay!

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
rider upgrade would make a bigger diff. then all that stuff combined.

eddie lawson school
kevin schwantz school
???
ha ha... that is a given bro!

I think that racing / learning to race is a career lesson and will be on-going. I am signed up for Superbike School in 9/22 and 9/23 at Willow Springs CA. I may do the race program in October depending on how the school goes.

I will let you know what I think once I get back. I have heard good things, I like some of his tools too! Like the lean bike for example!

l8r
Old 07-30-2008, 10:01 AM   #16
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought