MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Closed Thread
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2008, 03:29 PM   #81
cobra281

Feedback Rating: (0)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretAgent View Post
you can say that all you want, but you get a bunch of 20-something adult males together on sportbikes and it's nearly impossible to keep those egos in check. no one wants to be the slowest guy. therein lies the problem. and why organized rides with people you don't know well, never work.

ride with people you know and trust. there's much less showboating that way.

if ya'll continue to have organized rides with strangers, you will continue to have the problem of people going down, or even dying. it's a fact of life.
The sweeper is the slowest guy. Egos can be checked.
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Champions Forest Area neighborhoods & Homes-Greenwood Forest Huntwick Ponderosa Petro Off Topic 136 03-13-2014 06:02 AM
Need forest guide or directions thru forest CG636 General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 12-21-2009 10:16 AM
BDAY Forest Ride 8/29/2009 w/the Forest Gnomes!!! hybrid_crx Events, Meets and Rides 62 08-30-2009 03:40 AM
Forest Gnomes: Sat 10.25: GSS or Forest? CaligoneTx Events, Meets and Rides 27 10-20-2008 08:45 PM
ANSWER TO FOREST DISCUSSION THREAD FastLine General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 07-29-2008 04:51 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-29-2008, 03:29 PM   #82
SecretAgent
The one and only

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
08 Harley FXDB Street Bob

Send a message via AIM to SecretAgent
there's an old rule that bikers have followed for years and years and years...the group is only as fast as the slowest person. meaning, you put the slow guys in front, let them set the pace. if they're going to slow for you to have fun, you need to get your off the street and onto the track anyways.
"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them - but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous. "
-Hunter S. Thompson
Old 07-29-2008, 03:29 PM   #83
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
you can say that all you want, but you get a bunch of 20-something adult males together on sportbikes and it's nearly impossible to keep those egos in check. no one wants to be the slowest guy. therein lies the problem. and why organized rides with people you don't know well, never work.

ride with people you know and trust. there's much less showboating that way.

if ya'll continue to have organized rides with strangers, you will continue to have the problem of people going down, or even dying. it's a fact of life.
+1 has always been this way and will always be this way.

i can tell you that "organizing" a ride can lead to litigation, it has happened and you can look forward to it happening again.

anybody can sue anybody for anything, did they crasher win, NO, did the ride organizer have to pony up some $ yup.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
Old 07-29-2008, 03:29 PM   #84
SecretAgent
The one and only

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideForrestride View Post
That's why the group is split up and the slower riders don't ride with the faster ones.
yeah, and that's working really well for ya'll isn't it???
"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them - but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous. "
-Hunter S. Thompson
Old 07-29-2008, 03:30 PM   #85
rideForrestride

Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
'08 ZX10R - The Mistress

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
awesome good way to kill the last hour and half at work. Keep discussing, o ya might want to use the search button, there has been many discussions on this very subject, nothing ever gets straightened out people get mad and drama permits, so this really is all pointless, it changes nothing EVER.

J
And you keep posting comments because???
Old 07-29-2008, 03:30 PM   #86
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

Quote:
there's an old rule that bikers have followed for years and years and years...the group is only as fast as the slowest person. meaning, you put the slow guys in front, let them set the pace. if they're going to slow for you to have fun, you need to get your off the street and onto the track anyways.

Old 07-29-2008, 03:30 PM   #87
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Feedback Rating: (31)

Experience: 5 years

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brena23 View Post
Is this the new track version of riding the forest? Seems strange to have to seperate a group riding on the streets down to 3 groups novice, intermidiate and advanced just as you would on the track..
I think alot of people see it as that. A track. Problem is...you know how long it takes to get an ambulance out there if something goes seriously wrong? I'll let you take a guess at how long it takes and where the nearest hospitals are.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:30 PM   #88
SecretAgent
The one and only

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra281 View Post
The sweeper is the slowest guy. Egos can be checked.
that's exactly the opposite way it should be.
-Hunter S. Thompson
Old 07-29-2008, 03:31 PM   #89
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

Quote:
+1
Old 07-29-2008, 03:31 PM   #90
rideForrestride

Bike(s):
'08 ZX10R - The Mistress

Quote:
yeah, and that's working really well for ya'll isn't it???
lol, You said faster riders and slower riders riding together is bad. I said that's why they don't ride together. lol
Old 07-29-2008, 03:32 PM   #91
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
+1 has always been this way and will always be this way.

i can tell you that "organizing" a ride can lead to litigation, it has happened and you can look forward to it happening again.

anybody can sue anybody for anything, did they crasher win, NO, did the ride organizer have to pony up some $ yup.
You know RacerX I never thought of that, but you make a valid point. The legal system is fuked up. Is it the group organizer's fault the rider crashed, NO, but can the rider get a lawyer and sue them, YES, can they win, sadly YES.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:33 PM   #92
lilmckee
Not part of the wannbes

Quote:
awesome good way to kill the last hour and half at work. Keep discussing, o ya might want to use the search button, there has been many discussions on this very subject, nothing ever gets straightened out people get mad and drama permits, so this really is all pointless, it changes nothing EVER.

J
noobs, i tell you jet....
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideForrestride View Post
And you keep posting comments because???
cause hes seen this happen a million times

where is mckee?
Old 07-29-2008, 03:33 PM   #93
rideForrestride

Bike(s):
'08 ZX10R - The Mistress

Quote:
I can post as many comments as I want and you are a smart A$$ why
lol, trying to stretch out the last hour and a half at work too?
Old 07-29-2008, 03:34 PM   #94
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Brena,

the group was split into 3 for reasons suggested. I keep reading smaller groups are safer, so we made the group smaller. I keep reading people feel like they need to keep up, so we split it by skill level. I keep reading people are riding too fast for others, so we split it by pace. I used the A, I, N analogy to simplify. I called the first group lightning jonny, second group experienced and third group cruiser. Does that work better for you?

Yes, people should hone their skills at the track, but let's be honest. It is alot easier to gear up and hit 3090. It is a fun road with curves. I didn't engeneer it that way. Some of these people going off are going at or under the speed limit. So blame TXDPS for setting the speed limit out there and making the road so curvy.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:34 PM   #95
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

You guys need to start handing out liability waivers prior to the rides
Old 07-29-2008, 03:34 PM   #96
Brena23
Mothernugget

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2005 CRF450R - tarded
Scooter- 2004 metropoliten
Mini-RM 65
2006 GSXR 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrofallout View Post
I think alot of people see it as that. A track. Problem is...you know how long it takes to get an ambulance out there if something goes seriously wrong? I'll let you take a guess at how long it takes and where the nearest hospitals are.
Oh Oh I know the answer to this... About 45 minutes to an hour if not longer to get out and you will be taken to Brenham hospital i believe it was which is about 30 minutes to an hour away. Had a very dear friend that went down out there a long time ago.

Satan ButtNuggets Mothernugget
Old 07-29-2008, 03:35 PM   #97
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiatool View Post
Yes, people should hone their skills at the track, but let's be honest. It is alot easier to gear up and hit 3090. It is a fun road with curves. I didn't engeneer it that way. Some of these people going off are going at or under the speed limit. So blame TXDPS for setting the speed limit out there and making the road so curvy.
I think the whole purpose of this exercise is to make them aware of where they need to hone those skills
Old 07-29-2008, 03:35 PM   #98
SecretAgent
The one and only

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrofallout View Post
long enough that people die due to lack of medical care. i don't mean to sound like an , but you think all the people that went out on a group ride through the forest, that they thought was well organized, that have died, still think the ride was such a good idea? i've lost countless close friends in the forest, and several other local roads, and i'm certain that if they had known what they do now, they wouldn't have gone on that ride that day.

you can argue for the ride all you want, but fact of the matter is, IT'S NOT WORKING. people are dying and people are getting hurt.
-Hunter S. Thompson
Old 07-29-2008, 03:35 PM   #99
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

forest riders are sloooowwww
Old 07-29-2008, 03:36 PM   #100
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brena23 View Post
Oh Oh I know the answer to this... About 45 minutes to an hour if not longer to get out and you will be taken to Brenham hospital i believe it was which is about 30- an hour away.

If your lucky the ambo makes it there and says you need life flight, but if you have been laying needing lifeflight for an hour, how well do you think things are going?
Closed Thread

Advertisement