MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Closed Thread
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2008, 03:19 PM   #61
BKLYNBULLET
OFF!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiatool View Post
[/B]

That is where the break in logic lies though. We wait for everyone no matter how long it takes. At each intersection. PERIOD. There should be no pressure to keep up with anyone. And that is said at the first rider meeting on 242.
i hear ya man but we will always have the one dude who doesnt want to look slow and goes beyond thier ability to keep up between the stop where we do wait on everyone. and thats noones fault but there own! they need to keep that in thier minds that we will wait for them and noone is gonna talk about them for goin slow..
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Champions Forest Area neighborhoods & Homes-Greenwood Forest Huntwick Ponderosa Petro Off Topic 136 03-13-2014 06:02 AM
Need forest guide or directions thru forest CG636 General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 12-21-2009 10:16 AM
BDAY Forest Ride 8/29/2009 w/the Forest Gnomes!!! hybrid_crx Events, Meets and Rides 62 08-30-2009 03:40 AM
Forest Gnomes: Sat 10.25: GSS or Forest? CaligoneTx Events, Meets and Rides 27 10-20-2008 08:45 PM
ANSWER TO FOREST DISCUSSION THREAD FastLine General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 07-29-2008 04:51 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-29-2008, 03:19 PM   #62
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Feedback Rating: (31)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretAgent View Post
you can say that all you want, but you get a bunch of 20-something adult males together on sportbikes and it's nearly impossible to keep those egos in check. no one wants to be the slowest guy. therein lies the problem. and why organized rides with people you don't know well, never work.

ride with people you know and trust. there's much less showboating that way.

if ya'll continue to have organized rides with strangers, you will continue to have the problem of people going down, or even dying. it's a fact of life.

+1111111111111
Old 07-29-2008, 03:19 PM   #63
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
As for rider experience or teaching someone out there.... we aren't a school... you can ask questions before hand, during stops etc, but this isnt a school...

See TTD or LSTD. come willing to ride within your limits.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:20 PM   #64
lilmckee
Not part of the wannbes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrofallout View Post
I think the first step towards making these safer would be limiting the size.

Or maybe designate a sweeper to say 5 people. That person can keep an eye on those and give them advice to help ride safer/better.

There is lots of things we could do to make these rides safer, saying there is nothing we can do and what happens will happen is plain foolish.
Thats up to the organizer. If you post a ride, or even a non-post ride, you can choose how many people come and how many groups and how many sweepers.
But the riders are still responsible for themselves.

where is mckee?
Old 07-29-2008, 03:20 PM   #65
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

In my experience, it's when the group gets too large that these accidents start to happen. It doesn't mean that they don't happen in smaller groups, they just happen far less often because yo don't have the ego's there.

Most small groups are friends who have ridden together for years and can predict what the other rider is going to do.

Solution: keep groups small
Old 07-29-2008, 03:22 PM   #66
rideForrestride

Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
'08 ZX10R - The Mistress

Quote:
I will put money on it that not as many go down in smaller groups than in the big groups. I have taken a few small groups out there (4-5 people) many of them people who had never been to the forest before. We have yet to have issues. Not claiming that I am a great leader, or that other's are not. I don't thing the big groups are a good idea

What I am saying is the bigger the group, the more the trouble that tends to happen.
Of course not as many go down. There are fewer people.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:22 PM   #67
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
I understand... we are not to meet and ride with new people....

Guess that's why we have meet and greets... it takes, what? Three meet and greets spread out through a few months of PMs, posts etc to be considered a friend and then allowed my MH laws of personal conduct to ride with them.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:23 PM   #68
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

wrecks are bad. ok?
Old 07-29-2008, 03:23 PM   #69
rideForrestride

Bike(s):
'08 ZX10R - The Mistress

Quote:

if ya'll continue to have organized rides with strangers, you will continue to have the problem of people going down, or even dying. it's a fact of life.
Experienced riders go down and die too.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:23 PM   #70
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Feedback Rating: (31)

Experience: 5 years

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator View Post
Is it possible that you overqualified yourself and chose the wrong group to ride in? Many of the new riders do that.

Nope I ride at good speeds through the forest. And I am a safe rider out there. I was traveling much faster than the beginner group and had rode the forest more times prior to that than I can count. But I wasn't traveling at the speeds others with that group were riding. And I wasn't the only one to be left behind in that ride without a sweeper. I just didn't see the need for triple digits and well over in the forest.

And even if I would have "overqualified" myself....is that a reason for a sweeper to pass me and a few others and leave our ?
Old 07-29-2008, 03:25 PM   #71
Brena23
Mothernugget

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2005 CRF450R - tarded
Scooter- 2004 metropoliten
Mini-RM 65
2006 GSXR 1000

Quote:
We split this group into 3 levels. Advanced, intermidiate and novice. If you have never been on 3090 you were NOT alowed in advanced.
Is this the new track version of riding the forest? Seems strange to have to seperate a group riding on the streets down to 3 groups novice, intermidiate and advanced just as you would on the track..

Quote:
The problem is some people treat the forest like it's the track. And it's not that. The point of the forest should be a nice enjoyable ride. Not let's see who can go the fastest. If people want to haul and drag knee and take curves at triple digits they need to go to the track.
I agree +100000000000000000. When you feel the need to seperate a group ride down on public streets where innocent people are down to 3 groups just as you would on the track that would probably be a GOOD time to take a step back and look at the bigger picture. Especially reading so many rider down threads and people buying bikes to save on gas that have no clue how to ride.

At least on the track if I crash and eat sh*t, there is no chance of me taking out a family on there way to church, the grocery store, to see grandma and grandmpa or whatever.

Satan ButtNuggets Mothernugget
Old 07-29-2008, 03:25 PM   #72
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideForrestride View Post
Very sad. Very true.

Old 07-29-2008, 03:25 PM   #73
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
no comment keep discussing
SOME WILL NEVER GET IT
Old 07-29-2008, 03:26 PM   #74
tarosean

Bike(s):
'99 ZX11/ '65 T120R/'93 Bandit

Quote:
Agreed, and this is why we split into three groups in Anderson. The group had all of 149 to figure out where they fit into pace wise.
No offense, but this may be where some of the issue lies. 149 is not a good indicator of the curve 3090 throws at you. IMO

Think of how many make it through 149 only to be chewed up by the first real corner on 3090?
Old 07-29-2008, 03:26 PM   #75
dirtyjerzy

Bike(s):
'05 GSXR600

Quote:
you can say that all you want, but you get a bunch of 20-something adult males together on sportbikes and it's nearly impossible to keep those egos in check. no one wants to be the slowest guy. therein lies the problem. and why organized rides with people you don't know well, never work.

ride with people you know and trust. there's much less showboating that way.

just want to make that known because I have no problem checking my ego at the door!
Old 07-29-2008, 03:26 PM   #76
SecretAgent
The one and only

Bike(s):
08 Harley FXDB Street Bob

Send a message via AIM to SecretAgent
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideForrestride View Post
i wasn't referrring to anyone's skill level or experience. you could have 5 slow guys out there, or 5 expert racers out there. you get them riding together without knowing how eachother ride, and you will have a higher chance of something going wrong. plain and simple.
"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them - but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous. "
-Hunter S. Thompson
Old 07-29-2008, 03:27 PM   #77
skmart2
Stephanie

Experience: 9-12 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
none right now :(
07 ninja 250 - sold
07 ZZR 600 - sold

[QUOTE=lilmckee;1344219]It's a cycle ryan, ride gets popular, goes down, then come the haters, then come the safety guys, then you can't talk about the ride anymore.

Sportbikes, motorcycles, etc build confidence REAL fast. People ego's go big. They think they are faster/better then the guy in front of them, so they try to keep up. I'd say that would account for 90% of the "falls."

The other 10% we'll we know the dangers before we start the bike. Granted there shouldnt be "drivers" or drunk drivers, but we know there are. We still choose to ride.

I don't buy this whole, if your good you can avoid any accident comment. No matter how good of a rider you are, you can wreck.

Riders need to hold themselves responsible. Not to let their egos out grow their skill level. Just because everyone else is going fast doesn't mean you should.[/QUOTE]

i am not an experienced rider by any means and def. do not have a ton riding under my belt so i'm not sure how much my opinion really counts on here, but...i totally agree with this statement ^^^

i have been on numerous forest rides over the last couple of months and have witness a few of these accidents myself. before EVERY ride i've been on, there has been a pre-ride meeting with as much info as possible provided. there will always be a fast group, intermediate group and not so fast group no matter where you ride or who you ride with. we are all adults here and should be accountable for our selves.

as for Pyrofallout being passed by a sweeper - that really sux! whom ever that was doesn't deserve to ride amongst this group
Old 07-29-2008, 03:28 PM   #78
rideForrestride

Bike(s):
'08 ZX10R - The Mistress

Quote:
i wasn't referrring to anyone's skill level or experience. you could have 5 slow guys out there, or 5 expert racers out there. you get them riding together without knowing how eachother ride, and you will have a higher chance of something going wrong. plain and simple.
That's why the group is split up and the slower riders don't ride with the faster ones.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:28 PM   #79
BKLYNBULLET
OFF!

man this will go on forever, lata guys be safe and have fun
Old 07-29-2008, 03:29 PM   #80
Amanda
Bulletproof

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
Scar (07-600rr)
Juggernaut (R6)- ditched
Glee (7fiddy)

Quote:
Who said we were blaming the leader? I don't blame the leaders at all.
we know ur not blaming the leader, but many ppl like to..and thats not fair.

like mckee said " Each individual is accountable for his or hers OWN actions. Just as if they were riding alone"
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mudbug View Post
Why?
are you seriously meaning to ask that? (not saying that with an attitude...but as a serious nicely asked question)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmckee View Post
What are you trying to accomplish?

or what do you want discussed?

Posting of rides on mh?
+1

if im not mistaken....majority of these forest rides are pm/invitation only now ....unless posted as a "noob" ride! do correct me if im wrong .

I give up tho, i have not enough power to ever control this situation...nor will i ever...and neither will you!! cops appearently dont have enough power either.

This is the real world...things will always happen good and bad.

Advertisement