MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Closed Thread
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2008, 09:40 PM   #301
lil_red_rider
Track Photographer

Feedback Rating: (0)

Send a message via MSN to lil_red_rider Send a message via Yahoo to lil_red_rider
I heard about this while I was work so I am all caught up now.

I was on the ride this past weekend 2 up with my friend (cali). we had our first meeting before we left at 242. Everyone was there and listened the whole time. I took a head count at our second stop and any other stop we made to make sure all bikes were accounted for. I knew we had a sweeper the whole way...NOT once did our sweeper pass us. Cali and I were leading the cruiser group and we did stop and wait for those that fell behind till we saw the sweeper. Those who rode ahead of us were riding at the speed they knew or thought they could....

No leaders are to be blamed for any of the rides...nor the sweepers.

It takes everyone to be accountable for themselves and their own actions for when they ride being forest or track. Its not about how big the group is, its about riders being smart and knowing their limits.

I have been through the forest on rides for the past couple of years with my ex going to yankees on a cruiser and a street bike...I see where some are coming from...but being a passenger with someone I know very well...I trust they know thwir limits and I know how they ride to where I am comfortable.

But hey everyone has their own opinions about the forest...dont like it, dont ride it.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Champions Forest Area neighborhoods & Homes-Greenwood Forest Huntwick Ponderosa Petro Off Topic 136 03-13-2014 06:02 AM
Need forest guide or directions thru forest CG636 General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 12-21-2009 10:16 AM
BDAY Forest Ride 8/29/2009 w/the Forest Gnomes!!! hybrid_crx Events, Meets and Rides 62 08-30-2009 03:40 AM
Forest Gnomes: Sat 10.25: GSS or Forest? CaligoneTx Events, Meets and Rides 27 10-20-2008 08:45 PM
ANSWER TO FOREST DISCUSSION THREAD FastLine General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 07-29-2008 04:51 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-29-2008, 09:40 PM   #302
TheMagicMan
SBN Mechanic

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'97-DR650 '01-RC51 '03-XR250R '83-XR80R '93-XR80R '03-XR50

So someone explain why the paint on the roads are a bad idea???? If it prevents one person from crashing its done it's job. Yes we shouldn't have to do it and people shouldn't be riding fast enough to need those markers but if it saved one person just one it was worth the effort IMHO.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:43 PM   #303
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Feedback Rating: (31)

Experience: 5 years

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMagicMan View Post
So someone explain why the paint on the roads are a bad idea???? If it prevents one person from crashing its done it's job. Yes we shouldn't have to do it and people shouldn't be riding fast enough to need those markers but if it saved one person just one it was worth the effort IMHO.
+1
Old 07-29-2008, 09:46 PM   #304
BrutusTx

Member Garage

Quote:
You said it.....it's a bad idea.........if you HAVE to do that then maybe the ride should be about 20% SLOWER?

Old 07-29-2008, 09:47 PM   #305
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
Paint on the roads? other then legality reasons, how do you plan on seeing it? you'll be past it before you see it; if you mark the side of the road you're taking your eyes off of the line you should be establishing before the turn.

Maybe people need to learn how to really take corners before they try to take them... Like ride w a slower group to gain confidence and experience. Egos will only hurt you in the long run.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:53 PM   #306
TheMagicMan
SBN Mechanic

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaligoneTx View Post
Paint on the roads? other then legality reasons, how do you plan on seeing it? you'll be past it before you see it; if you mark the side of the road you're taking your eyes off of the line you should be establishing before the turn.

Maybe people need to learn how to really take corners before they try to take them... Like ride w a slower group to gain confidence and experience. Egos will only hurt you in the long run.
there was 3 yellow stripes accross the road. 1-2 feet wide 4-5 feet long before the corner so you knew when the blind corner was comming. No need to take your eyes off the road. So they were very visable but since then they have repaved the roads.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:56 PM   #307
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
It would be much better to have riders learning to keep their vision up and look through the turns to gauge braking, turn in and corner entry speed. Looking down at the road or just in front of the bike causes many issues. Also just like in cars, "slow in, fast out" when riding through corners is a much better approach for the street and the track for all except the racer folks.

-Curt

Old 07-29-2008, 09:57 PM   #308
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr

We have leaders; in sub groups of 6-10 people and a minimum of 2 second gaps between each biker there should be enough room.

The cruiser group signals every corner w hand gestures to slow down and has specific rules about each recommended speed limit and approach speed discussed before each ride.

If they dont see flashing brake lights, hand signals nor the people infront of them, maybe they need some down time.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:58 PM   #309
BrutusTx

Member Garage

Quote:
there was 3 yellow stripes accross the road. 1-2 feet wide 4-5 feet long before the corner so you knew when the blind corner was comming. No need to take your eyes off the road. So they were very visable but since then they have repaved the roads.
There is a county popo that spends a LOT of time at the big old house on the right, isn't the paint in the road ASKING for trouble?

Old 07-29-2008, 10:06 PM   #310
tarosean

Bike(s):
'99 ZX11/ '65 T120R/'93 Bandit

Pretty sure the bad corners are already marked.

They look something like This....
Attached Images

Old 07-29-2008, 10:11 PM   #311
TheMagicMan
SBN Mechanic

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
It would be much better to have riders learning to keep their vision up and look through the turns to gauge braking, turn in and corner entry speed. Looking down at the road or just in front of the bike causes many issues. Also just like in cars, "slow in, fast out" when riding through corners is a much better approach for the street and the track for all except the racer folks.

-Curt
You dont have to look down its huge. You can see it when you are "scanning ahead". Even at higher speeds. You see it with your peripheral vision. It is way before the corner so there is no issue there. Its just a marker saying hey look out there's a blind corner ahead. It in no way impeads your riding.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:17 PM   #312
LEANANGLE

Bike(s):
.07 Harley Davidson softail fsxtc-
05 gixxer 750
04 YZ 450
03 CR 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmckee View Post
It's a cycle ryan, ride gets popular, goes down, then come the haters, then come the safety guys, then you can't talk about the ride anymore.

Sportbikes, motorcycles, etc build confidence REAL fast. People ego's go big. They think they are faster/better then the guy in front of them, so they try to keep up. I'd say that would account for 90% of the "falls."

The other 10% we'll we know the dangers before we start the bike. Granted there shouldnt be "drivers" or drunk drivers, but we know there are. We still choose to ride.

I don't buy this whole, if your good you can avoid any accident comment. No matter how good of a rider you are, you can wreck.

Riders need to hold themselves responsible. Not to let their egos out grow their skill level. Just because everyone else is going fast doesn't mean you should.
well said and 110% TRUE
Old 07-29-2008, 10:20 PM   #313
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

Quote:
You dont have to look down its huge. You can see it when you are "scanning ahead". Even at higher speeds. You see it with your peripheral vision. It is way before the corner so there is no issue there. Its just a marker saying hey look out there's a blind corner ahead. It in no way impeads your riding.
Don't feel bad...I tried too...seems like the majority here don't think there is anything we can do to help at all. It's just gonna be the riders fault everytime.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:28 PM   #314
Hooligan
Presrvtionthrudestruction

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
08 CBR 600rr
06 GSXR600
07 Honda crf50 (stunt)
Your mom

Send a message via AIM to Hooligan
Is this thread dead yet???
I learned the awesomeness that is Hooligan.
Never trust your own eyes, believe what you are told.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:33 PM   #315
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Is this thread dead yet???
Might as well be...people are too foolish to recognize that there ARE things that can be done to help the new riders out there, regardless of whether them going down is or isnt their fault. They would rather just always blame it on the rider. Things need changing, things won't get changed, many more will go down and more will end up sadly gone from us. Could be different if others would acknowledge things could be done better. Sad, but true.

On a side note....the immense amount of people who came in this thread just to all over it, ask if it was/for it to be closed, fight with others, post stupid , ect...thank you...I appreciate it.

/thread
Old 07-29-2008, 10:34 PM   #316
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr

I offered to tether all the bikes together so that if they go for a ditch I would pull them back... they assured me they would ride their own bikes so we dropped that idea.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:39 PM   #317
Hooligan

Bike(s):
08 CBR 600rr
06 GSXR600
07 Honda crf50 (stunt)
Your mom

Well im gunna post my opinion...

Dosnt matter who you are, how long you been riding, how old you are or how well you ride on the track, people are still going to go down out there.

PM invite only or Group forest ride, its all the same. People are going to crash.

But its not stopping me, I have had bad days out there.

If any of you would have been on the first forest ride i went on, you would have sh*t your pants.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:44 PM   #318
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr

Once again... who is having the issue with this ride? There is a slower paced group for the new riders. All the riders that admit they need to be there ride a good ride and make it to where they are planned on going(exempt one, he took a detour off the road but did alas ride his bike with us to yankees.)

Those whom do not know where they belong and are pushing their own limits are the ones with the problems on this ride... this is my personal experience from all these rides. Are we pushing them to ride faster? Nope... Ego-enforced by us? Um there is a busa leading the slow group...

Is 3090 discussed in detail from the curves in the front to the known bad corners before each ride? Yes. Reach past the feeding cage fence and see if the lion decides to bite your hand off. Its your choice to ignore recommended rules. 3090 will bite if you give it the opportunity.

ALL PEOPLE NEED TO DO IS BE HONEST WHEN THEY RIDE THIS RIDE.
We are all big boyz and girlz; if I need to hold your hand and say you cant ride over this speed limit, who are you to listen? you are riding your own ride. We offer paced leaders for where YOU decide YOUR level is. If there is an obvious problem, we have addressed it.

I have off days where I know I shouldn't lead; guess what, I dont... thats a matter of respect for yourself and the group with honesty and maturity.

Most people dont wear gear till they or someone they knows goes down... people learn the hard way most of the time... Sadly, its true.

I honestly think maybe Hooligan was right a while back about stopping forest rides all together; but I look forward to it. The people whom are honest w where they feel they belong or how they ride dont have problems. Everyone that went down in this group admits it was their doing... So why are those comments multiple pages back ignored that I posted?

You all honestly dont think we consider all these things when we assemble these rides? Tagging streets... come on... Interesting idea but I dont believe in graffiti of any type... if you cant see through the corner, dont take it... what is hard about that? this is basic motorcycling 101...
Old 07-29-2008, 10:59 PM   #319
Hooligan

Bike(s):
08 CBR 600rr
06 GSXR600
07 Honda crf50 (stunt)
Your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaligoneTx View Post
Once again... who is having the issue with this ride? There is a slower paced group for the new riders. All the riders that admit they need to be there ride a good ride and make it to where they are planned on going(exempt one, he took a detour off the road but did alas ride his bike with us to yankees.)

Those whom do not know where they belong and are pushing their own limits are the ones with the problems on this ride... this is my personal experience from all these rides. Are we pushing them to ride faster? Nope... Ego-enforced by us? Um there is a busa leading the slow group...

Is 3090 discussed in detail from the curves in the front to the known bad corners before each ride? Yes. Reach past the feeding cage fence and see if the lion decides to bite your hand off. Its your choice to ignore recommended rules. 3090 will bite if you give it the opportunity.

ALL PEOPLE NEED TO DO IS BE HONEST WHEN THEY RIDE THIS RIDE.
We are all big boyz and girlz; if I need to hold your hand and say you cant ride over this speed limit, who are you to listen? you are riding your own ride. We offer paced leaders for where YOU decide YOUR level is. If there is an obvious problem, we have addressed it.

I have off days where I know I shouldn't lead; guess what, I dont... thats a matter of respect for yourself and the group with honesty and maturity.

Most people dont wear gear till they or someone they knows goes down... people learn the hard way most of the time... Sadly, its true.

I honestly think maybe Hooligan was right a while back about stopping forest rides all together; but I look forward to it. The people whom are honest w where they feel they belong or how they ride dont have problems. Everyone that went down in this group admits it was their doing... So why are those comments multiple pages back ignored that I posted?

You all honestly dont think we consider all these things when we assemble these rides? Tagging streets... come on... Interesting idea but I dont believe in graffiti of any type... if you cant see through the corner, dont take it... what is hard about that? this is basic motorcycling 101...
100% agreed
Old 07-29-2008, 11:10 PM   #320
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
100% agreed

AND we give people multiple opportunities to figure out where they realistically fit in the group pace. AND we consistantly reiterate that 3090 is a serious road that WILL bite you if not respected. OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN.
Closed Thread

Advertisement