MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Closed Thread
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2008, 06:24 PM   #281
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solracer View Post
My 2 cents, fwiw

I used to haul on backroads, was all fun and great, till I wrecked.

Then came courtney and the kids.

Since, I don't go on rides like that anymore.

2 weeks ago, Matt(caligoneTx) was nice enough to let courtney and I tag along on their ride back from TWS (Texas World Speedway). We made out 2 groups, a normal paced group(our group) and a faster paced group (dunno how fast they went) our ride was great, and I like how matt (who knows those roads) led and made hand signals to the rest of the group to let them know what was coming up and what to do...

Also, I went on a ride with joe(tiatool) a few days before that, also a great ride and was moderately paced, I saw nothing wrong with THAT ride either...

However, I feel if you need to have a lengthy riders meeting explaining the paint marks your group put down....its deff not a ride id want to do nor recomend. If you are dragging a knee on public roads, again, get to the track and have your fun there. We have too many tracks and trackday orgs in the area not to.

Its saddens all of us to lose someone, it happens every year it seems.

I hope everyone goes on the forrest and 3090 rides, its a great ride beautiful scenery and great curvy roads.... just head warning and be safe, and as careful.

NONE of our boards want to lose anyone else, and have to attend any more funerals.

I wish everyone the best.

Nicely put. Thankyou for the kind words Chris. I hope that clears it up a bit for some people. We are trying to have a fun and safe ride out there. Why shouldn't we be able to get everyone home in one piece? I would feel uncomfortable excluding people knowing that we should all be able to make it through the forest safely. We try to stress this is a fun ride, not a race, no trophies at the end. Yes, I run a quicker pace than some, but that is comfortable for me. Maybe not for you, so ride your own ride and get home. I say this almost word for word every Saturday morning.
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Champions Forest Area neighborhoods & Homes-Greenwood Forest Huntwick Ponderosa Petro Off Topic 136 03-13-2014 06:02 AM
Need forest guide or directions thru forest CG636 General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 12-21-2009 10:16 AM
BDAY Forest Ride 8/29/2009 w/the Forest Gnomes!!! hybrid_crx Events, Meets and Rides 62 08-30-2009 03:40 AM
Forest Gnomes: Sat 10.25: GSS or Forest? CaligoneTx Events, Meets and Rides 27 10-20-2008 08:45 PM
ANSWER TO FOREST DISCUSSION THREAD FastLine General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 07-29-2008 04:51 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-29-2008, 06:26 PM   #282
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Feedback Rating: (31)

Experience: 5 years

Member Garage

Yes...please again guys....don't think this thread is an attack on anyone, especially the guys who lead the majority of the big rides through the forest regularly. TiaTool CaliGoneTX and all the others are awesome guys and excellent riders who I have much respect for. This is just an attempt to spread the word and come up with suggestions to help everyone of our fellow MHers who travel through the forest to come back unscathed and with their bikes and full health.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:35 PM   #283
Mala Lingua
Optimistic Cynic

Feedback Rating: (5)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'06 600RR (Mogee)
Phifty (Fuglee)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godsuki View Post
I think this whole thread was a recipe for disaster, but some very goodpoints came from it.
Are you kidding? I love these types of threads! They flush some of the jackasses out and save me from the trouble of having to ride with em to figure out what kind of attitude they have.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:42 PM   #284
MudBug
Banned

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage

User is banned

Old 07-29-2008, 06:53 PM   #285
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeeBee View Post
My skills are not good enough to be taking this ride so part of the reason I haven't tried to go on one.

Hope there are some more newbie rides coming up soon.
Anytime we ride new friends are always welcomed. If you have concerns ahead of time, PM us and we usually make arrangements if you feel the strict rules of the third group are still too fast(we dont go over the speed limit in the corners, blast off in the straights, hand signals, on and on...) then I will usually shift to the back of the pack before the sweeper w riders whom want a more relaxed pace. We accomidate all riders.

There are at least six regular Forest Gnomes whom gladly work with the group and take positions where they are needed.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:56 PM   #286
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mudbug View Post
Didn't River RD go through this not to long ago? Now heavily visited by LEO.
Well, all but three of our riders down weren't able to ride their bikes back(in the large group rides; both on the same day.)

July Fourth 1) Intermediate group off 149(on their own route)

2) and a returning group of four riders or so from Yankees

last week 3) bike to0 damaged to ride back; rider shaken not stirred

So cops usually arent involved... we have a system where the leaders check to make sure everything is ok then we set up camp past the accident. Sweeper and mechanics stay behind w zipties, bags, whatever.

Last edited by CaligoneTx; 07-29-2008 at 06:58 PM.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:04 PM   #287
MudBug
Banned

Feedback Rating: (3)

Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage

User is banned

Old 07-29-2008, 07:10 PM   #288
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mudbug View Post
Just wondering. But I do need a Yankee burger.
No joke... and what is there to eat over there? We rode forever and found gas stations... one that didn't take plastic... wow...
Old 07-29-2008, 07:17 PM   #289
Pyrogenic
Annuit Coeptis Celeritas

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2001 FZ1

Member Garage

It must be difficult on the track, in a real race, for professionals too, to not over-push their speed to try to catch the next guy, if it's beyond their, or their bike's, ability. I found that it was very easy to think about catching up just because I didn't want to be left behind on my first group ride with you all last time... It's just so easy to let competitive spirit change the way you would normally ride. I've ridden the forest quite a few times, more slowly on my own... I'll admit it.

Maybe the cruiser-groups have it right - slow and easy, especially in a group, just to keep it under control. Unless you're a GhostRider wannabe....

Ultimately, individuals will do what they will, and 'the ride' or the organizers, or the leaders/sweepers, whatever, are not responsible - and sometimes they are just accidents, like mine, where I lost my concentration. Could have happened on a group ride, or by myself - I wasn't racing - the corner was mine - it was stupidity on my part alone.

I'm guessing the most important part is, ride with people you are very comfortable with, try not to show off on a group ride, and don't blame 'the ride' for the mistake. But as an individual riding in a group - try to take care of the others around you.

If you've ever road-raced on bicycles, you know what I mean. We never drafted people we didn't know - didn't go 2-up with them either. All it takes is one slight over-brake, or one tiny wrong move - and the group is toast. You have to agree and work hard at being one unit, not a collection of individual riders who happen to be in proximity. Motorcycles are a bit farther apart, but it's the same thing.... and unlike bicycles where it's harder to produce rapid acceleration when you're already going fast, it's really easy to pop the throttle for fun - but it makes for an unpredictable group ride...

There's my 2

Old 07-29-2008, 07:40 PM   #290
train460
speed junky

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
88 v-max
05 Honda Goldwing
85 V-max (wifes)
05 Vtx 1300 (wifes)

my opinion is that thre forrest is a relatively easy ride between montgomery and say anderson or richards and if u should run off the road then u are going WAAAYYYY too fast. part of the speed limit is 70 and with the popo that hangs up there and the exposure it gets you are looking for trouble by hauling thru it.
there are tons of roads out in BFE that u can stretch your legs abit and not bring on the trouble.
again my 02
Michael
88 v-max
Old 07-29-2008, 07:47 PM   #291
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by train460 View Post
there are tons of roads out in BFE that u can stretch your legs abit and not bring on the trouble.
again my 02
Michael
We still cruise throught the forest because of the cops...

3090 is the problem... that's the one we warn about at both stops

"this is the road we came for; this is a no bull chit road peeps"
Old 07-29-2008, 07:48 PM   #292
mattj0206

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
02 R1

Im kinda new to forest rides as I have only been on a few. I learned on my first ride i went on with anyone on this board (it wasnt through the forest) that there is nothing to prove. The group i was with was full of experienced riders and I was probably the least experienced of the group. Honestly i did feel a need to keep up until Texlurch reassured me that no matter what i would not be left behind so i started riding at my own pace and it was much more enjoyable. And of course the group was there at every stop to wait.

The other rides i was on were with Tiatool and Cali leading and these guys honestly are some of the most helpful guys ive met riding. I feel they really do the best they can to keep everyone safe. I really appreciate the help they have given to me possibly without them even knowing they were helping.

What new riders such as myself and others needs to understand is you really have nothing to prove. Its much more impressive if you make it to Yankess and back home in one piece without incident rather than make it there first.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:54 PM   #293
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattj0206 View Post
The other rides i was on were with Tiatool and Cali leading and these guys honestly are some of the most helpful guys ive met riding. I feel they really do the best they can to keep everyone safe. I really appreciate the help they have given to me possibly without them even knowing they were helping.
Thanx for the honest words... we take criticism both ways for improvement on the rides we go on.

I want to reiterate there are many others then just Tiatool and myself that help out... ALOT... I can start naming all the names; all the regulars that we dubb 'forest gnomes'(i was silly one day... let it grow on you) are there helping each ride from sweepers to people stopping on corners, others help with leading, fixing bikes, and even some that teach us as we ride from their experience... we gain from these rides too...

Everyone participating gives to the ride
Old 07-29-2008, 07:58 PM   #294
99 Chris
Banned

Bike(s):
2007 Suzuki GSX-R1000
2006 Suzuki GSX-R1000

User is banned

Old 07-29-2008, 08:25 PM   #295
1fastchevy
Bout Time

Bike(s):

I think the less advanced group should skip 3090 and hit 244.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:56 PM   #296
RojerLockless
member of NO MA`AM

Feedback Rating: (10)

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
Honda CB919

Member Garage

limit the # of riders and keep it small, if you have more people show up split up in groups of 2 or 3 groups of 10 just my 2 cents.

RojerLockless@Motohouston.com
BRING BACK GIXXERBILL!!!
CRBsig 2
Old 07-29-2008, 09:07 PM   #297
kingralphthe3rd
larry's fan club manager

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
07 GSXR 1K (SOLD!!) 08 GSXR 750 & 07 DIZZER 400, 09 GSXR 600

Member Garage

i love riding out there its good to ride somewhere with some turns. some people will go down trying to ride out of there limits. its there own fault not the forest
Old 07-29-2008, 09:16 PM   #298
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastchevy View Post
I think the less advanced group should skip 3090 and hit 244.
Cruiser group doesn't have the problems the mid group does... all wrecks aside of two have been from that group...

why? people trying to venture out from ego trips? I couldnt say... they ride their own bike. Im busy enough taking care of my own two wheels.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:30 PM   #299
logan5

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2001 SV 650 (my track ), 2005 SV 650s

I'm a track noob and a daily commuter. I don't ride fast on the streets ... , with my 250 I don't even ride fast on the track ... but the tack has open my eyes to dangers of street riding ... to really take that corner fast and safely I need all of the corner ... not just half of it, the whole thing... which is something the track gives me ... not so with the streets.

Riding the streets every day, I'm well aware of the fact that a simple mistake like going wide and crossing the line will get me dead real fast, and so I've actually become slower and more cautious now than I was before I became a track addict. Don't get me wrong, I still like taking the corners ... but I no longer need to feel like I need to be dragging a peg.

I think for the most part, most ride organizers are doing their best to keep people in check and to keep the rides safe ... in the end, it comes down to personal responsibility ... people make the choice (dumb as it is) to ride over a ton on public two lane roads. People die and people get hurt ... but they made that choice ... we do what we can to mitigate the risks by sharing knowledge and advice, but in the end ... all you can do is watch out for yourself ... unless of course it's the careless that runs wide right into your lane.

Just my 2 cents.

oh and ... IBTL!
Old 07-29-2008, 09:37 PM   #300
BrutusTx

Member Garage

Just my .02 but I've been riding the Forest-3090-Fayetteville for a couple of years now and the only time I've had to wait on the popo-ambulance-FD has been when there were more than 5-6 people in the group.
I usually ride with a small group who ride together a LOT-with the same leader-same sweeper-same pace. We've been all over the area, from Fayetteville to Cold Spring to the Hill Country.......no break downs, no wrecks-no popo......even did 200 miles in the pouring rain with out an issue.
The ONLY time I've crashed was at the track............trying to run with some guy's on 600's.
(The people that know me know I don't like the little bikes)

You can't teach common sense......and FWIW.....an old ZX7 is just as fast as a Ducati.

Last edited by BrutusTx; 07-29-2008 at 09:39 PM.

Closed Thread

Advertisement