MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Closed Thread
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2008, 05:35 PM   #261
Amanda
Bulletproof

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Scar (07-600rr)
Juggernaut (R6)- ditched
Glee (7fiddy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator View Post
I agree with most of what you say except for having "that person" in front of you. That is the best place for them to be, cuz you're looking at them. You sure don't want them behind you.
Carl!

Please explain. wouldnt u want an unexperience rider with an ego behind you..instead of in front of you. if they are in front, wouldnt u run a higher risk of them messing up and you target fixating?

truly just wanting the knowledge from someone that knows more then i do...not trying to be a smart
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Champions Forest Area neighborhoods & Homes-Greenwood Forest Huntwick Ponderosa Petro Off Topic 136 03-13-2014 06:02 AM
Need forest guide or directions thru forest CG636 General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 12-21-2009 10:16 AM
BDAY Forest Ride 8/29/2009 w/the Forest Gnomes!!! hybrid_crx Events, Meets and Rides 62 08-30-2009 03:40 AM
Forest Gnomes: Sat 10.25: GSS or Forest? CaligoneTx Events, Meets and Rides 27 10-20-2008 08:45 PM
ANSWER TO FOREST DISCUSSION THREAD FastLine General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 07-29-2008 04:51 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-29-2008, 05:37 PM   #262
SBK Pilot
non playa hatar

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
:: 05 GSXR 750 ::

:: 07 GSXR 1K ::
:: 11 ZUMA 125 ::
stop listing what u sold here - nobody cares...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda View Post
I may be wrong. but I heard once someone (i honestly dont know who) went on some of the hot riding roads and spray painted x's or boxes or something on the really bad corners.... i may be wrong. but i kinda thought that was a good idea . and then in the riders meeting, run across it so ppl know what to look for?!?!
Old 07-29-2008, 05:37 PM   #263
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

If the ditches were filled with pillows I would take a nap every 2 miles. I wuv my sleep.

ZZZZZZ

It be almost as cool as chocolat land!

Old 07-29-2008, 05:40 PM   #264
GABRIEL

Feedback Rating: (14)

I wanna go on the Forest ride. But I would like to make it back home too.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:41 PM   #265
Amanda
Bulletproof

Bike(s):
Scar (07-600rr)
Juggernaut (R6)- ditched
Glee (7fiddy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBK Pilot View Post
i know some dont like the idea. but it sounded good to me, and i have not heard anything bad about the idea to change my mind...im open to suggestions tho!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GABRIEL View Post
I wanna go on the Forest ride. But I would like to make it back home too.
then go! dont try to prove anything! have fun and relax! dont push yourself... gotta start slow to get fast!!<---- what most ppl dont realize
Old 07-29-2008, 05:42 PM   #266
GABRIEL

Feedback Rating: (14)

Who's going with me?!?!?!
Old 07-29-2008, 05:42 PM   #267
Brena23
Mothernugget

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2005 CRF450R - tarded
Scooter- 2004 metropoliten
Mini-RM 65
2006 GSXR 1000

Quote:
I agree with most of what you say except for having "that person" in front of you. That is the best place for them to be, cuz you're looking at them. You sure don't want them behind you.
This is true.. better to be able to see what is about to happen to avoid it than be taken out with no idea of what is going on

Satan ButtNuggets Mothernugget
Old 07-29-2008, 05:45 PM   #268
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

What happened to me on my forest rides was that I met people with similar interest and equal riding skills. Some were slower than others in the beginning, we all encouraged one another to do track days and we are becomming regulars, together. Then we began to ride together ourselves. There are 5-7 of us and we ride together regularly. We trust each other. We care about each other. We know how each other rides, etc, etc, etc.

I would encourage all of you, to go on a few or several of the big forest rides. Meet some people and then y'all organize your own little rides. You can meet the group at yankees, fellowship, and leave as a group.

Find some people you click with. Y'all all go to the track together, at least once or twice. Learn what you can, pass it on to the new guy. I dont meet much at the regular meet spot anymore. There is a group of us that take a different route. When we get to Yankees we talk about the track and how much we have improved and genuinely encourage others to come out.

Dirtyjerzy will be there this weekend for his first track day? Why? Because he was on the forest ride.

I go to the track because of another person. Not on motohouston. Thank he was willing to ride with me, even tho I sucked.

You guys and gals be safe. Check the egos at the door. But get to the track man. It will save you one day. It certainly has me and I am a newb by track day standards.

Always remember though, that even the most expearancacced () riders go down.

You have to ask yourself, "Is the thrill of the speed, worth the risks involved?" And it goes without saying, that the risk, is Death. No if, ands or buts about it.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:45 PM   #269
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
True, you never know when somebody will come flying up your right hand side unexpectedly.

Old 07-29-2008, 05:50 PM   #270
BigComfy

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

keeping with Amanda's pillow idea.. we could even have pillow fights...better yet girls in wet t-shirts having pillow fights!

Man I really like this pillow idea.

I will return with more ideas in a bit.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:55 PM   #271
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
Bunch of bullshit personal attacks in this thread. Animosiy written all over it. With all the resentments towards one another, not much effort or focus on a solution.

Why in the would I want to go to the track with any of u smart belittling the forest riders. Making fun of how slow they are, or how much of a noob they are, or how fast ur lap times are.

Never once have any of you EVER invited me to the track on a ride? Why? Cause you dont ride on the street anymore, you say.

How in the do you think I got introduced to the track? On the street. Not by any of you, but by someone else, who rides street and track. This is why I give MH ZERO credit for my enrollments on the track days. And the minute those people arent instructing, I'm moving to another organization. You probably dont give a , cause my money doesnt go to you.

You all just act like a buncho tough fast wanna be racers. Not here to help the new guy. Yea...youll help them when they pay thier money. And why? Cause u want them to be good? Or because u get a free track weekend out of it.

Bunch of grandiose if you ask me. Thats why when I go to the track, I DONT ASK ANY OF YOU FOR HELP. I go to the real people. The ones I trust.

Off topic but I dont give a .
Quote:
What happened to me on my forest rides was that I met people with similar interest and equal riding skills. Some were slower than others in the beginning, we all encouraged one another to do track days and we are becomming regulars, together. Then we began to ride together ourselves. There are 5-7 of us and we ride together regularly. We trust each other. We care about each other. We know how each other rides, etc, etc, etc.

I would encourage all of you, to go on a few or several of the big forest rides. Meet some people and then y'all organize your own little rides. You can meet the group at yankees, fellowship, and leave as a group.

Find some people you click with. Y'all all go to the track together, at least once or twice. Learn what you can, pass it on to the new guy. I dont meet much at the regular meet spot anymore. There is a group of us that take a different route. When we get to Yankees we talk about the track and how much we have improved and genuinely encourage others to come out.

Dirtyjerzy will be there this weekend for his first track day? Why? Because he was on the forest ride.

I go to the track because of another person. Not on motohouston. Thank he was willing to ride with me, even tho I sucked.

You guys and gals be safe. Check the egos at the door. But get to the track man. It will save you one day. It certainly has me and I am a newb by track day standards.

Always remember though, that even the most expearancacced () riders go down.

You have to ask yourself, "Is the thrill of the speed, worth the risks involved?" And it goes without saying, that the risk, is Death. No if, ands or buts about it.
I think this whole thread was a recipe for disaster, but some very goodpoints came from it. I don't think any of teh track riders were being condescending to those who aren't, but simply trying to state the safety aspects of the track itself. Sure you will crash there, but it is the safest place to do it.

I personaly made the desicion not to ride street any longer because the risk wasn't worth the reward any longer. You are correct about meeting new folks on teh streets and the bonds formed there. Some of my best friends in the world were met in that very manner.

There is too much to see and do on the streets, and entirely to much fun to be had. I don't think anyone should stop riding the streets, but rather stop using the streets as a race track
Old 07-29-2008, 05:58 PM   #272
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Feedback Rating: (31)

Experience: 5 years

Member Garage

Quote:
I may be wrong. but I heard once someone (i honestly dont know who) went on some of the hot riding roads and spray painted x's or boxes or something on the really bad corners.... i may be wrong. but i kinda thought that was a good idea . and then in the riders meeting, run across it so ppl know what to look for?!?!
Sounds like a good idea to me....good suggestion.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:03 PM   #273
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godsuki View Post
I think this whole thread was a recipe for disaster, but some very goodpoints came from it. I don't think any of teh track riders were being condescending to those who aren't, but simply trying to state the safety aspects of the track itself. Sure you will crash there, but it is the safest place to do it.

I personaly made the desicion not to ride street any longer because the risk wasn't worth the reward any longer. You are correct about meeting new folks on teh streets and the bonds formed there. Some of my best friends in the world were met in that very manner.

There is too much to see and do on the streets, and entirely to much fun to be had. I don't think anyone should stop riding the streets, but rather stop using the streets as a race track
Tim you just summed up all my thoughts in a single post. Very much so. I understand many of these guys that go out there will do what they want and we can not stop them...but I don't agree with noobs and first timers being on the same rides where this type of riding is taking place.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:06 PM   #274
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

My 2 cents, fwiw

I used to haul on backroads, was all fun and great, till I wrecked.

Then came courtney and the kids.

Since, I don't go on rides like that anymore.

2 weeks ago, Matt(caligoneTx) was nice enough to let courtney and I tag along on their ride back from TWS (Texas World Speedway). We made out 2 groups, a normal paced group(our group) and a faster paced group (dunno how fast they went) our ride was great, and I like how matt (who knows those roads) led and made hand signals to the rest of the group to let them know what was coming up and what to do...

Also, I went on a ride with joe(tiatool) a few days before that, also a great ride and was moderately paced, I saw nothing wrong with THAT ride either...

However, I feel if you need to have a lengthy riders meeting explaining the paint marks your group put down....its deff not a ride id want to do nor recomend. If you are dragging a knee on public roads, again, get to the track and have your fun there. We have too many tracks and trackday orgs in the area not to.

Its saddens all of us to lose someone, it happens every year it seems.

I hope everyone goes on the forrest and 3090 rides, its a great ride beautiful scenery and great curvy roads.... just head warning and be safe, and as careful.

NONE of our boards want to lose anyone else, and have to attend any more funerals.

I wish everyone the best.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:06 PM   #275
KeeBee
Old man

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
12 HD Street Glide
11 HD Softail Deluxe
SOLD 08 Liquid Silver R6
STOLEN 93 GSXR 750

Send a message via AIM to KeeBee
My skills are not good enough to be taking this ride so part of the reason I haven't tried to go on one.

Hope there are some more newbie rides coming up soon.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:09 PM   #276
navigator
Senior Citizen

Bike(s):
'09 Ninja 250
'09 Versys
'09 Grizzly
'10 Felt Racing Hybrid

Quote:
Carl!

Please explain. wouldnt u want an unexperience rider with an ego behind you..instead of in front of you. if they are in front, wouldnt u run a higher risk of them messing up and you target fixating?

truly just wanting the knowledge from someone that knows more then i do...not trying to be a smart
Hi Amanda,

Strictly my opinion, but if I have a person of questionable ability in front of me, I just increase my following distance enough to be able to stop or avoid if they have an issue. If they are behind, I am focusing on the road ahead and may not notice that they are coming up on me with the possibility of a failed manuver.

I prefer to see what they are up to.
POLITICAL CORRECTNESS, is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a by the clean end.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:10 PM   #277
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solracer View Post
My 2 cents, fwiw

I used to haul on backroads, was all fun and great, till I wrecked.

Then came courtney and the kids.

Since, I don't go on rides like that anymore.

2 weeks ago, Matt(caligoneTx) was nice enough to let courtney and I tag along on their ride back from TWS (Texas World Speedway). We made out 2 groups, a normal paced group(our group) and a faster paced group (dunno how fast they went) our ride was great, and I like how matt (who knows those roads) led and made hand signals to the rest of the group to let them know what was coming up and what to do...

Also, I went on a ride with joe(tiatool) a few days before that, also a great ride and was moderately paced, I saw nothing wrong with THAT ride either...

However, I feel if you need to have a lengthy riders meeting explaining the paint marks your group put down....its deff not a ride id want to do nor recomend. If you are dragging a knee on public roads, again, get to the track and have your fun there. We have too many tracks and trackday orgs in the area not to.

Its saddens all of us to lose someone, it happens every year it seems.

I hope everyone goes on the forrest and 3090 rides, its a great ride beautiful scenery and great curvy roads.... just head warning and be safe, and as careful.

NONE of our boards want to lose anyone else, and have to attend any more funerals.

I wish everyone the best.
i concur with all above....the forest is wonderful. dont get me wrong i love the forest...but you just have to respect it.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:13 PM   #278
navigator
Senior Citizen

Bike(s):
'09 Ninja 250
'09 Versys
'09 Grizzly
'10 Felt Racing Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
True, you never know when somebody will come flying up your right hand side unexpectedly.
OUCH !! Now you've gone and hurt my feelings.

I was just checking to see if you would hold your line.
POLITICAL CORRECTNESS, is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a by the clean end.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:13 PM   #279
Amanda
Bulletproof

Bike(s):
Scar (07-600rr)
Juggernaut (R6)- ditched
Glee (7fiddy)

Quote:
Hi Amanda,

Strictly my opinion, but if I have a person of questionable ability in front of me, I just increase my following distance enough to be able to stop or avoid if they have an issue. If they are behind, I am focusing on the road ahead and may not notice that they are coming up on me with the possibility of a failed manuver.

I prefer to see what they are up to.
very valid. thank you
Old 07-29-2008, 06:15 PM   #280
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

Quote:
All this....to get to that.

close this up!
no need to close the thread. plenty of good opinions and suggestions a flowin.
Closed Thread

Advertisement