MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2008, 02:24 PM   #21
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Feedback Rating: (31)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RojerLockless View Post
As responsible motohoustoner's we should stop and think about this forest ride.

guys we are doing something wrong here, at least 1 person goes down on this ride Every week.

so what are we doing wrong and how can we fix it?

and glad you are ok

I have some ideas on how to stop this...but some people don't want to hear em.
Pyrofallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
N 1st N00b Ride for Feb. A Looong ride through the Country and The Forest Sat 2/22/2014 Blamdiggity Events, Meets and Rides 170 02-25-2014 08:48 PM
Anyone doing a forest ride, maybe sat? albertinhouston Events, Meets and Rides 10 05-13-2010 12:54 AM
Forest Ride 4/26 Sweetkakes23 Forum Updates & Feedback 2 04-28-2008 03:19 PM
Saturday Forest Ride 4/26 Sweetkakes23 Events, Meets and Rides 1 04-25-2008 12:49 AM
4/26 Sat. Ride sunshyn Events, Meets and Rides 24 04-23-2008 07:50 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-29-2008, 02:26 PM   #22
skmart2
Stephanie

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 9-12 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
none right now :(
07 ninja 250 - sold
07 ZZR 600 - sold

sorry to hear about your incident but def. glad you're ok

this is one of the best groups of ppl i have EVER been around and i can only hope that if/when my time comes to take a slip on the bike i'm with this crew everyone is always super helpful and will stay with you till the end!

hope to see you out there soon
Old 07-29-2008, 02:32 PM   #23
Hooligan
Presrvtionthrudestruction

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
08 CBR 600rr
06 GSXR600
07 Honda crf50 (stunt)
Your mom

Send a message via AIM to Hooligan
Quote:

guys we are doing something wrong here, at least 1 person goes down on this ride Every week.

and glad you are ok
The fact of the matter is, no matter how fast/slow you go you can/will still go down out there.

Its the price we pay.
I learned the awesomeness that is Hooligan.
Never trust your own eyes, believe what you are told.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 02:32 PM   #24
level5
moving chicane

Quote:

and glad you are ok
The problem is going too fast.

The leader should slow it down so the whole group slow down and no one wrecks. If no one wrecks it's more fun.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 02:38 PM   #25
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by level5 View Post

The leader should slow it down so the whole group slow down and no one wrecks. If no one wrecks it's more fun.

WRONG!! Have you been on a forest ride with us?? Were you on this one?? Speaking out of school here, and NOT apprecitated. We split this group into 3 levels. Advanced, intermidiate and novice. If you have never been on 3090 you were NOT alowed in advanced. It is up to the individual to place themselves in the appropriate group. It is up to the INDIVIDUAL to ride within themselves and keep the bike on the road. We wait for EVERYONE so there is no pressure to keep up or push limits. We wait for as long as it takes. Other than twisting the throttle for them, what else can we do?

Maybe you super safe totally awesome super leaders should take 30 people out there and get them through safely since you know so much
tiatool is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 02:39 PM   #26
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
The fact of the matter is, no matter how fast/slow you go you can/will still go down out there.

Its the price we pay.
not the case. i have had several private rides out there and no one has went down. The problem is some people treat the forest like it's the track. And it's not that. The point of the forest should be a nice enjoyable ride. Not let's see who can go the fastest. If people want to haul and drag knee and take curves at triple digits they need to go to the track. I fear for a lot of my friends that go out there.

Quote:

This is part of the problem. I came around a curve on 3090 about 70 on the last ride and bam there was a fcking deer in the road. If I had been riding like some people ride through 3090 I might not be here today.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:39 PM   #27
SBK Pilot
non playa hatar

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
:: 05 GSXR 750 ::

:: 07 GSXR 1K ::
:: 11 ZUMA 125 ::
stop listing what u sold here - nobody cares...

i can see where this is going...

this is a thank you thread... any further off topic discussion - take it pm's...

/ drama
SBK Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 02:40 PM   #28
Hooligan
Presrvtionthrudestruction

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
08 CBR 600rr
06 GSXR600
07 Honda crf50 (stunt)
Your mom

Send a message via AIM to Hooligan
Quote:

FALSE.
I learned the awesomeness that is Hooligan.
Never trust your own eyes, believe what you are told.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 02:40 PM   #29
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiatool View Post
WRONG!! Have you been on a forest ride with us?? Were you on this one?? Speaking out of school here, and NOT apprecitated. We split this group into 3 levels. Advanced, intermidiate and novice. If you have never been on 3090 you were NOT alowed in advanced. It is up to the individual to place themselves in the appropriate group. It is up to the INDIVIDUAL to ride within themselves and keep the bike on the road. We wait for EVERYONE so there is no pressure to keep up or push limits. We wait for as long as it takes. Other than twisting the throttle for them, what else can we do?

Maybe you super safe totally awesome super leaders should take 30 people out there and get them through safely since you know so much
I have been on many of these rides myself. This is one of the biggest problems. No offense guys cause you are all friends. But taking 30 people in a group through the forest and 3090 is asking for problems.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:41 PM   #30
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post

Its the price we pay.
I have to disagree. Your odds for a single vehicle accident go up with more miles ridden, and also with higher speeds, but when you're riding withing your limits, and with a clear head while the ego is in check, those odds are drastically reduced. The way to curb most of the accidents is training.

This sounds like a broken record, but learning those skills on a track make a huge difference. Look at most of the fast street riders who come to the track. They usually crash out their first day, have a very hard time getting the lines down, and struggle with body position and throttle control. They are the slowest on the track. Now if you turn that around, most fast track riders are slow on the streets because they know that traction is unpredictable at best, road hazards and cagers are lurking at every corner to take them out, and there is no run off or room for error.

Just food for thought
FastLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 02:42 PM   #31
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

Take the forest discussion here:

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh....php?p=1344135

Don't get this thread locked.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:43 PM   #32
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiatool View Post
I know how hard that is...my hats off to you for doing so
FastLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 02:44 PM   #33
tarosean

Bike(s):
'99 ZX11/ '65 T120R/'93 Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godsuki View Post
The way to curb most of the accidents is training.
Correct..

If I were to blame anything it would be the fact that is It a by-product of learning to ride in the Houston area... Urban jungle with no real twisties to speak of, unable to learn the skills necessary to cope with actual twists and turns like 149 & 3090. Unless you visit one of the many tracks around this area...
tarosean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 02:48 PM   #34
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
The second was a harley and they weren't with us. Third was a rider mid pack going 15 mph around a curve; I know, I was leading that ride back and was 2 up.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:50 PM   #35
dirtyjerzy

Bike(s):
'05 GSXR600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godsuki View Post
I have to disagree. Your odds for a single vehicle accident go up with more miles ridden, and also with higher speeds, but when you're riding withing your limits, and with a clear head while the ego is in check, those odds are drastically reduced. The way to curb most of the accidents is training.

This sounds like a broken record, but learning those skills on a track make a huge difference. Look at most of the fast street riders who come to the track. They usually crash out their first day, have a very hard time getting the lines down, and struggle with body position and throttle control. They are the slowest on the track. Now if you turn that around, most fast track riders are slow on the streets because they know that traction is unpredictable at best, road hazards and cagers are lurking at every corner to take them out, and there is no run off or room for error.

Just food for thought

I agree completely that a lot of that should be taken to the track, but those speeds aren't usually the problem from what I see. I've been on several of these rides and it's not the guys doin triple digits that are going down. Most of the people going down, from what I have seen are inexperienced with both twisties and with groups. A lot of people get sucked into a corner too fast by a rider in front of them. It still comes back to being responsible for your own actions. I have ridden with hooligan, cdill, and some of these other "fast" riders out there. I can't hang with them at all, but I still end up in the same place as them because they wait for me.

Even if these rides weren't offered up to the masses these rides will still be taking place. Whether it be a group of 30 or ten groups of 3 and there will still be people going down.
dirtyjerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 08:10 PM   #36
Meaner-n-u
Just so you know...

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
2013 Triumph Speed Triple SE
09 Fz6"Rrrrr"

The "Medic" wants to know... Hows the hand?
Old 07-29-2008, 08:27 PM   #37
99 Chris
Banned

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
2007 Suzuki GSX-R1000
2006 Suzuki GSX-R1000

User is banned

99 Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:22 PM   #38
Soup
Smells like lavender..

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
Dirty6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PimpRice View Post
glad you're ok dave. I wish you and Rj had let me know yall were going to ride sat. I woulda came out.
I know man, I forgot.

Dave, you took that like a champ. Rode it all the way back home shifting with your injured hand.
Soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 12:35 AM   #39
Yamaha Dave

Quote:
No offense guys cause you are all friends. But taking 30 people in a group through the forest and 3090 is asking for problems

Not really the 30 of us were split into 3 groups beginner, intermediate, & advanced and were spaced miles apart. I didn't even see anyone from the other groups in the twisties until we came to a complete stop at a crossroads when we regrouped so I don't think that was the issue.

Quote:
I agree completely that a lot of that should be taken to the track, but those speeds aren't usually the problem from what I see. I've been on several of these rides and it's not the guys doin triple digits that are going down.
Exactly everyone that went down went down on turns less than 50 mph.

Quote:
The "Medic" wants to know... Hows the hand?
Medic! It hurts like a son-! Burns like but my skin is regenerating nicely.

Quote:
Enjoyed riding with ya otherwise!! Good luck getting everything together to ride again, however that may be!
It was a pleasure as well. We will ride again sometime...

Quote:
glad you're ok dave. I wish you and Rj had let me know yall were going to ride sat. I woulda came out.
As soon as I get her road worthy you better believe we are heading out!

Quote:
Dave, you took that like a champ. Rode it all the way back home shifting with your injured hand

It was pretty surreal. It almost felt like it wasn't really happening like it was just some bad dream...
Yamaha Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 12:45 AM   #40
lil_red_rider
Track Photographer

Send a message via MSN to lil_red_rider Send a message via Yahoo to lil_red_rider
Glad to see you up in spirits... Hope to see you soon!

Advertisement